IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

A Prayer For The Ganges

Rate this topic

Here it is suggested that to pray for the recovering of the River of Ganges would uplift human society on the whole planet - Mother Ganga revered as the source of life.

"One stretch of the Yamuna River, the Ganges' main tributary, has been devoid of all aquatic creatures for a decade."

6yf2aae.jpg

tanneries that abide by the law find that their untreated wastewater backs up and

spills into the river. A few yards upstream, we follow a foul odor to a violent

flow of untreated domestic sewage gushing into the river from an old brick

pipe. The bubbling torrent is full of fecal microorganisms responsible for

typhoid, cholera and amoebic dysentery. Ten million to 12 million gallons

of raw sewage have been pouring out of this drainpipe each day, Jaiswal

tells me, since the main sewer line leading to the treatment

plant in Kanpur became clogged—five years ago. "We've been protesting against this,

and begging the [uttar Pradesh state] government to

take action, but they've done nothing," he says.

Half a dozen young fishermen standing by a rowboat offer to take us to a sandbar in

the middle of the Ganges for "a better view." Jaiswal and I climb into the boat and

cross the shallow river only to run aground 50 yards from the sandbar. "You have to

get out and walk from here," a boatman tells us. We remove our shoes, roll up our

trousers and nervously wade knee-deep in the toxic stream. As we reach the

sandbar, just downstream from a Hindu cremation ground, we're hit by a putrid

smell and a ghastly sight: lying on the sand are a human rib cage, a femur, and,

nearby, a yellow-shrouded corpse. "It's been rotting there for a month," a

fisherman tells us. The clothed body of a small child floats a few yards off

the island. Although the state government banned the dumping of bodies a

decade ago, many of Kanpur's destitute still discard their loved ones

clandestinely at night. Pariah dogs prowl around the bones and bodies, snarling

when we get too close. "They live on the sandbar, feeding on the remains," a

fisherman tells us.

Sickened, I climb back into the rowboat. As we near the tanneries, a dozen

boys frolic in the water, splashing in the river's foulest stretch. Jaiswal calls

them over.

"Why do you swim in the river?" I ask one of the boys. "Aren't you worried?"

He shrugs. "We know it's poisonous," he says, "but after we swim we go wash

off at home."

"Do you ever get ill?"

FULL STORY

Sobering!

The total length of the river Ganges is 1988 miles. Considering it has two watersides, these are 3986 miles where it looks like this, see pic below. How this can be ever rectified without taking more vigorous steps than to shrug of the shoulders? When considering the Ganges as lifeline of our planet it should be clear why demoniac forces are trying to switch off global vital force.

6ofwfau.jpg

Shiva’s Ganga water is also said to represent the flow of knowledge and devotion to God. Shiva is known as the foremost devotee of Lord Krishna, Vishnu, or Lord Rama, which is one of the meanings of the spout of Ganga water on Shiva’s head.

The Bhagavatam (10.41.15) relates: “The water of the river Ganga [Ganges] has purified the three worlds, having become transcendental by bathing Your [Lord Vishnu’s] feet. Lord Shiva accepted that water on his head, and by that water’s grace the sons of King Sagara attained heaven.”

nice, respectful sentiment, but our mother isw transcendental to what seems (to us) to be happening to her. She is the awesome Goddess who comes and goes as she pleases, seeping thru the crown chakra of Lord Nataraja. She can appear to be an aging and dying crone, but she maintains awesome and indescribable beauty, health, wealth, knowledge, fame, and aloofness from it all.

nice, respectful sentiment, but our mother isw transcendental to what seems (to us) to be happening to her. She is the awesome Goddess who comes and goes as she pleases, seeping thru the crown chakra of Lord Nataraja. She can appear to be an aging and dying crone, but she maintains awesome and indescribable beauty, health, wealth, knowledge, fame, and aloofness from it all.
This is of course correct, the soul is transcendental - but let's say Krishna would incarnate, would you say, doesnt matter how the water quality is like, Krishna is anyway transcendental, He can take His bath in a polluted Ganga or a clean Ganga, it's all the same for Him? 8a19gtt.gif

Prabhupada, I believe, answered this question when the first disciples went to India with him and were complaining even then of her seemingly polluted condition. His response, if I remember correctly, is that the pollution is not there, but in our hearts.

Prabhupada, I believe, answered this question when the first disciples went to India with him and were complaining even then of her seemingly polluted condition. His response, if I remember correctly, is that the pollution is not there, but in our hearts.

Well, then, let's encourage India's shadow cabinet government to go on with their present policy to turn Krishna's Holy places and the Ganga valley into dumps! And whenever you feel that there's something wrong - no, it's the dirt in our heart.

6pey0cn.jpg

Ganga valley near Kolkatta

8fzgw7n.jpg

Nothing wrong, it's the dirt in our hearts

82togv9.jpg

Ganga Valley Varanasi - become KC - then you only see Vaikuntha

Haribol. Forgive the seemingly callousness of my above posts. I am not that way at all, but as you can tell from my you tube thread, I listen to my past, being a child of the (Oh God, euthanize him) sixties.

Alvin Lee cries, "Id love to change the world, but I dont know what to do, so Im leaving it up to you."

We tried, we died. Now we are remembered as idiots, and they want to off us all before us boomers become more of a burden than we are now (even though our tax base allows them to do their adventures in the middle east).

Majority rules. Materialistic democracy. And our numbers are dwindled by contrived conspiracy of the hiranyaksas who want to continue to suck earth dry.

What if. Gore was at the white house and got a photo with bush, Who shoulda been there, for our real interests? Not him, hes a boomer who has given his life in government and US and world citizen service. Damn bleedin heart. Another kucinich, with his departmewnt of peace proposals that extract funding for global clean-up.

But all THEY gotta do is have fox news trot out their scientists to affirm cigareettes are perfectly safe, that crude oil has no carcinogens.

Mother Ganges has been brutally treated by these hiranyaksa forces. Id love to change the world. Give me power, and Id employ immediately 1,000,000 high paid professionals scientists, technicians, laborers, declare the whole Ganges path a sacred wetland and make a mile in all directions a park, with rebuilt and reclaimed ghats.

But I have no power, so I listen to ten years after admit defeat, and say as I enter my gas chamber, "Im leaving it up to you".

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Haribol. Forgive the seemingly callousness of my above posts. I am not that way at all, but as you can tell from my you tube thread, I listen to my past, being a child of the (Oh God, euthanize him) sixties.

Alvin Lee cries, "Id love to change the world, but I dont know what to do, so Im leaving it up to you."

We tried, we died. Now we are remembered as idiots, and they want to off us all before us boomers become more of a burden than we are now (even though our tax base allows them to do their adventures in the middle east).

Majority rules. Materialistic democracy. And our numbers are dwindled by contrived conspiracy of the hiranyaksas who want to continue to suck earth dry.

What if. Gore was at the white house and got a photo with bush, Who shoulda been there, for our real interests? Not him, hes a boomer who has given his life in government and US and world citizen service. Damn bleedin heart. Another kucinich, with his departmewnt of peace proposals that extract funding for global clean-up.

But all THEY gotta do is have fox news trot out their scientists to affirm cigareettes are perfectly safe, that crude oil has no carcinogens.

Mother Ganges has been brutally treated by these hiranyaksa forces. Id love to change the world. Give me power, and Id employ immediately 1,000,000 high paid professionals scientists, technicians, laborers, declare the whole Ganges path a sacred wetland and make a mile in all directions a park, with rebuilt and reclaimed ghats.

But I have no power, so I listen to ten years after admit defeat, and say as I enter my gas chamber, "Im leaving it up to you".

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

7xaat50.jpg

well, yes, looks it's a long, stony tramp.......

We citizens call for a council. Mothers Bhumi and Ganges go to their rep, Lord Brahma, who immediately sets off for Swetadvipa, the ocean of Milk.

The power of the goddesses is unfathomable. All that trash is incinerated, then begins anew, refreshed. King Vena is dethroned, and the reign of Sri Sri Arci Prthu begins.

We citizens call for a council. Mothers Bhumi and Ganges go to their rep, Lord Brahma, who immediately sets off for Swetadvipa, the ocean of Milk.

The power of the goddesses is unfathomable. All that trash is incinerated, then begins anew, refreshed. King Vena is dethroned, and the reign of Sri Sri Arci Prthu begins.

Looks like that Indians have totally lost control to manage even the conservation of nature and natural resources - natural consequence of having neglected to fullfill Lord Caitanya's order who actually initiated the Indians to globally establish the yuga-dharma?

"Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu says here, janma sarthaka kari' kara para-upakara: if an Indian is educated in the Vedic principles, he is able to perform the most beneficial welfare activity for the entire world.

Therefore it is now the duty of the leading men of India to consider the importance of this movement and train many Indians to go outside of India to preach this cult. People will accept it, there will be cooperation among the Indian people and among the other people of the world, and the mission of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu will then be fulfilled.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu therefore requests every Indian to become a preacher of His cult to save the world from disastrous confusion. (Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 9.41)"

In sum, if we don't care about our spiritual duties, our material situation deteriorates.

All of India's water quality hopelessly destroyed?

"We do not know why and how..." Well, yes, very helpful analysis.

When even crocodiles die this river must be a deadly cocktail for human beings. :eek2:

Rare reptiles die mysteriously

12/12/2007 14:05 - (SA)

Biswajeet Banerjee

Lucknow, India - At least 21 endangered crocodile-like reptiles have died mysteriously in a river sanctuary in central India, raising fears that one of India's last unpolluted waterways has become toxic, officials said on Wednesday.

Wildlife officials discovered the bodies of one male and 20 female ghariyals - massive reptiles that look like their crocodile relatives, but with long slender snouts - in the Chambal River over the last three days, said Sri Kishna, a government official in Uttar Pradesh state.

The deaths have concerned conservationists, who believe there are only some 1 500 ghariyals left in the wild, many of them in a sanctuary based along the Chambal, one of the few unpolluted Indian rivers.

8e0aw4k.jpg

Gangaur Festival- Kota

"The deaths of such a large number of ghariyals is not common. There has to be something wrong with the river water," said state Chief Wildlife Warden DNS Suman.

Scientists said it appeared that either the water or fish, the ghariyals' main food, were contaminated as there were no signs of injuries to any of the animals.

"This could be due to high bacterial content in the Chambal River," said Alok Srivastava, of the Uttar Pradesh state Pollution Control Board. "The river water may have turned poisonous. We do not know why and how."

Tests were being carried out on the water and the dead reptiles, said BC Chaudhary, a senior scientist at the government-run Wildlife Institute of India.

The gharial, also known as the Indian crocodile, was on the verge of extinction in the 1970s, but a government breeding programme that has released several hundred into the wild has raised their numbers.

Here it is suggested that to pray for the recovering of the River of Ganges would uplift human society on the whole planet - Mother Ganga revered as the source of life.

Yes, many people would rather do a puja to Mother Ganga then fight to clean up her waters, or pickup trash from her banks. I wonder which form of worship would Mother Ganga preferred? How about both?

Yes, many people would rather do a puja to Mother Ganga then fight to clean up her waters, or pickup trash from her banks. I wonder which form of worship would Mother Ganga preferred? How about both?

Yes, both is the correct answer :-)

Looks like they consider now to even pump more excrements of other big cities into Mother Ganga since "new scientific evidence supports the claim that water flowing in India's Ganges river -- where millions of people bathe daily -- has special self-purifying properties, which act as a disinfectant that kills bacteria".

And this they think is final truth because it was reported on National Public Radio. :crazy:

Ganges Water

Jan 12, HARIDWAR, INDIA (NPR) — On 25 December 2007 NPR - National Public Radio reported: New scientific evidence supports the claim that water flowing in India's Ganges river -- where millions of people bathe daily -- has special self-purifying properties, which act as a disinfectant that kills bacteria, and prevents disease. Global Good News service views this news as a sign of rising positivity in the field of science, documenting the growth of life-supporting, evolutionary trends.

Millions believe that if you bathe in the water of the Ganges, then you purify yourself.

In the fourth installment of a six-part series recorded for NPR, independent film producer Julian Crandall Hollick investigated the claim that the Ganges had something special in its water, which he called the 'mysterious X factor'.

The report stated, 'Hindus have always believed that water from India's Ganges River has extraordinary powers. The Indian emperor Akbar called it the 'water of immortality' and always traveled with a supply. The British East India Co. used only Ganges water on its ships during the three-month journey back to England, because it stayed 'sweet and fresh'.'

Hollick found a retired professor of hydrology, DS Bhargava, who has been investigating water samples from various parts of the river. He says that the oxygen levels in the Ganges' are '25 times higher than any other river in the world', which gives it its self-purifying quality.

Hollick also interviewed Jay Ramachandran, a Molecular biologist and entrepreneur in Bangalore, who explained why the Ganges doesn't spread disease among its bathers.

The high amount of oxygen in the water helps assimilate organic materials, and helpful bacteria destroys harmful bacteria. Large amounts of people bathing in the river seems to stimulate the helpful bacteria to act upon the bacteria that is harmful to humans.

The Ganges alone out of all of the world's rivers is a self-purifying system.

For more information on the series, including audio files of the NPR reports on the Ganges, please visit NPR.