IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Taking aim based on sound

Rate this topic

It is written in Ramayan that Dashrath knew shabd bhedi baan i.e. he could shoot an arrow by hearing the sound of the target.

Are there examples of any of the following having this knowledge? :-

Bhisma, Pandu, Karna, Arjuna, Rama, Laxmana, Parashurama, Valmiki, Luv, Kush

I understand that they were great archers and therefore, they must be knowing shabd bhedi baan. But I want to know the stories in which this knowledge of theirs is depicted. Could you please post those stories?

Thanks.

I think both Arjuna and Karna knows this as well. But cannot remember any stories in specific manner to show they using it.

Usually, people do not need to use sounds to pinpoint a target if the target stands in front of them.

In the Indian history, it has been mentioned that one of the great Rajput rulers of India, Prithvi Raj Chauhan, was an expert in 'Shabd bhedi baan' or that is hittitng a target without seeing the target, that is only on the basis of sound. When he was captured by a Mohammadden invader using deceit; he (blinded by then) and one of his friends used this technique to kill the Muslim invader. This story is being sung as a part of the folklore all over Rajputana/Rajasthan State in India by the traditional/folk singers.

Yes, I have read that Prithviraj Chauhan knew shabd bhedi baan.

I want to know if there are stories in Ramayan, Mahabharat, Puranas about this art? I am aware of only one such story in which Dashrath kills Shravan Kumar mistaking him to be an elephant drinking water.

Pranam

One story from mahabharat comes to my mind, is off Ekalavya, he shot his arrows to shut the dog barking.

Yes, I have read that Prithviraj Chauhan knew shabd bhedi baan.

I want to know if there are stories in Ramayan, Mahabharat, Puranas about this art? I am aware of only one such story in which Dashrath kills Shravan Kumar mistaking him to be an elephant drinking water.

Jai Shree Krishna

Yes Eklavya. I forgot that. Thanks.

Any other? Any story related to Ram, Laxman, Karn, Arjun? I believe they must be knowing this art. But I want to know if there are related stories.

If I remember correctly, then I think it is written in Ramayan that Ram used his knowledge of shabd bhedi baan to shoot at Tatka when she disappeared using her illusory power. But I am not sure.

Pranam

You are right Lord Ram did kill Tadka using sabda bhedi baan. this is as per Valmiki Ramayan.

as to why he did not use against Indrajit, who knows prabhu ki lila?

He was destined to be killed by Laxman, here there is also a story, if i can recall correctly, Laxman is related(father in law) to indrajit havin married a nag kanya, this i think i read in Tusidas Manas, i could be wrong.

Jai Shree Krishna

When Indrajit became invisible, then why did Rama not use his knowledge of shabd bhedi baan? He could have shot at Indrajit by hearing his voice. Why did he not do that?

Pranam

In the Adhy.tmar.m.yaÄa Vibh¶¦aÄa tells Ýr¶ R.ma:.

(Yuddhak.ÄÎa VIII. 64.67)

.Brahm. (the Creator) has ordained the death of this wicked soul (Meghan.da) at the hands of one

who has neither slept nor taken any food for full twelve years. Given over to your service, Lak¦maÄa, O Chief

of the Raghus, has known neither sleep nor food etc., ever since he came away from Ayodhy.: I have come

to know all this, O King of kings. Therefore, O Ruler of gods, command Lak¦maÄa to accompany me with all

speed; for he is no other than Ýe¦a, the supporter of the earth, and will doubtless slay this demon.

#

Jai Shree Krishna

Yes, Laxman was destined to kill Indrajit as per the boon to Indrajit by Brahma. But there must have been some reason for Ram not to attack Indrajit. I am talking about some reason which ordinary mortals feel as reason even though correct reason is God's leela.