IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
joeri

What sacred holy texts do you have?

Rate this topic

Srila Prabhupada, the spiritusal master of the hare krsna movement, gave his disciples an order of books. He brought with him the very first section of Srimad Bhagavatam, and then published bhagavad gita as it is, sri isopanisad, and gave us the Krsna story trilogy sponsored by the Beatles.

When he began taking on disciples, the book he gave, along with his initial lectures to his initial disciples, which I take as what he EMPHASIZED, is a book titled, "The Teachings of Lord Chaitanya". If I could only have one book, this is the one I would choose.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Srila Prabhupada, the spiritusal master of the hare krsna movement, gave his disciples an order of books. He brought with him the very first section of Srimad Bhagavatam, and then published bhagavad gita as it is, sri isopanisad, and gave us the Krsna story trilogy sponsored by the Beatles.

When he began taking on disciples, the book he gave, along with his initial lectures to his initial disciples, which I take as what he EMPHASIZED, is a book titled, "The Teachings of Lord Chaitanya". If I could only have one book, this is the one I would choose.

I just love Teachings of Lord Chaitanya. That was the first Prabhupada book that I read when I was 8. Before that I was into the Transcendental Diaries by Hari Sauri. Then when I was about 10 I realized that I had obviously not imbibed enough from Teachings of Lord Chaitanya so I read it again. Then after a 2 years I felt like I have to read the Diaries again. In between I was reading other books like Bhagavatam, Chaitanya Bhagavata, etc. but I always went back to read those books. They are just so filled with nectar.

Anyway about the first question, please get Chaitanya Charitamrita and Chaitanya Bhagavata. Chaitanya Bhagavata focuses on the earlier pastimes of the Lord while Chaitanya Charitamrita covers everything with great detail and explanations. But I would still get both, Vrindavana das Thakura's style of writing is so wonderful and sweet. And Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura also instructed everyone to read it not once, but hundreds of times. Also other very important books are Nectar of Devotion and Nectar of Instruction. Personally I would also get Nityananda Charitamrita but you must be careful because some Sahajiya (sorry don't know name) is publishing a Nityananda Charitamrita. One must make sure that the Nityananda Charitamrita is only the one that is written by Vrindavan das Thakur, be very careful!

It would also be good if you got some of the small books, just to start out with. Raja Vidya, A Second Chance, etc.

Hope this helps.

Hare Krishna.

That was the first Prabhupada book that I read when I was 8. Before that I was into the Transcendental Diaries by Hari Sauri.

What?? You read these books when you were less than 8 year old? What about comics?

Then when I was about 10 I realized that I had obviously not imbibed enough from Teachings of Lord Chaitanya so I read it again.

Amazing! At that age, I did not care whether I imbibed anything or not. When I read my school books, I used to mostly memorize so that I could write answers in exams.

Then after a 2 years I felt like I have to read the Diaries again. In between I was reading other books like Bhagavatam, Chaitanya Bhagavata, etc. but I always went back to read those books. They are just so filled with nectar.

No wonder, you have such a good knowledge of scriptures.

Srila Prabhupada, ...

And I've never read TLC. Looked on my bookshelf, and there's a copy. Thanks for reminder, mahak.