IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Why do you follow ekadasi?

Rate this topic

You may not like this answer but I observe Ekadashi fast because I enjoy going without food and water:) (of course for only one day;)).

Moreover, it is a good way of making sure that I do not become overweight.

I only follow when somebody reminds me (and, then, I'm usually resentful of the person who told me ;) ).

Like Avinash says, there are certainly *physical* benefits to fasting, and I often find myself fasting or eating more lightly just because it feels right.

Beyond that, don't spiritual aspirants see the day as an opportunity to focus more on spiritual matters while the body and consciousness are less weighed down by food?

From my own experience, I feel much more "in the modes" (of passion and ignorance) after having French Fries compared to how I feel after eating an apple.

the confusion about corn came up. Is it a veggie or grain?

I eat rice and peas and corn for every meal (except my donut and coffee meal), and left out the rice on ekadasi, than someone tole me I offended by canned corn. So, next time, I left in the rice.

Is tofu okay on ekadasi? How about synthetic foods (they got em, ya know).

mahak

the confusion about corn came up. Is it a veggie or grain?

I eat rice and peas and corn for every meal (except my donut and coffee meal), and left out the rice on ekadasi, than someone tole me I offended by canned corn. So, next time, I left in the rice.

Is tofu okay on ekadasi? How about synthetic foods (they got em, ya know).

mahak

Hmmm...I don't think there was ever any question about corn--it's a grain. The question was about *corn syrup*. I believe folks argue that corn syrup is made from the stalk of the corn plant and not the grains themselves, so it's OK for Ekadasi.

Tofu is made from soy beans, so I don't think eating it is in the spirit of Ekadasi. Maybe you were joking, though.

You may not like this answer but I observe Ekadashi fast because I enjoy going without food and water:) (of course for only one day;)).

Moreover, it is a good way of making sure that I do not become overweight.

I also like to be free from the uncumberances of food. Although I've become diabetic in the last few years and now never fast I still never eat whar others call a full meal, I just graze along on very small but frequent "meals". Always been like that but with diabetes keeping the blood sugar even is my prime concern.

I was hoping that more people who follow for religious or spiritual reasons would answer.

Beyond redirecting the time from eating into more heaing and chantingI have never been able to understand any spiritual value in the practice especially when it comes to avoiding a food like tomateos for example.

Anyway it is a healthy thing although maybe not going without water.

I can always tell when it is Ekadasi because I always have bad dreams on Ekadasi because I don't generally observe it.

But, I do believe in Ekadasi because the nightmares I have on Ekadasi are regular and consistent if I fail to observe it.

I can have some terrible nightmares on Ekadasi.

This itself is proof to me that the superstition is very real.

I am a believer, but not a very good follower.

I can always tell when it is Ekadasi because I always have bad dreams on Ekadasi because I don't generally observe it.

But, I do believe in Ekadasi because the nightmares I have on Ekadasi are regular and consistent if I fail to observe it.

I can have some terrible nightmares on Ekadasi.

This itself is proof to me that the superstition is very real.

I am a believer, but not a very good follower.

Superstion? These practices are grounded in something more than that I think but I am not sure what. I am just curious if anyone remembers of if it now is just a tradition that no one knows the genesis of.

You get nightmares. I have been on a more or less grain free diet all my adult life and never thought about grains but on ekadasi I would notice an unusual desire to eat grains would appear in my mind. Although I wasn't trying to follow it I could almost tell when it was ekadasi because of this craving. Weird but it happen so frequently I couldn't deny the connection.

I always especially appreciated the temple on ekadasi because everyone would chant extra rounds and being there I would get caught up in that mood.

Superstion? These practices are grounded in something more than that I think but I am not sure what.

I once asked a respected Godbrother about the shastric basis of Ekadasi and he referred to it as a supersition that has some basis in Vedic lore.

Ever since then I sometimes refer to it as a superstition because an outsider who hears that all the sins of the world enter into grains and beans on the 11th day of the waxing and waning Moon would think it was a Hindu superstition.

I don't see anything particularly wrong in referring to it as a supersition because it contains some bizarre claims that ordinary people would consider as superstition.

Anything that cannot be verified empirically can be referred to as supersition because it is beyond verification with anything other than Vedic lore and legend.

If it can be proven emprically then we can remove it from the classification as superstitition.

Belief is supersition.

Even the Supersoul is superstition because we really cannot prove His existence beyond faith and belief.

<cite>Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)</cite> - Cite This Source - <cite>Share This</cite> <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) --> su·per·sti·tion premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /ˌsuthinsp.pngpərˈstɪʃthinsp.pngən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[soo-per-stish-uhthinsp.pngn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">1.</td><td valign="top">a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">2.</td><td valign="top">a system or collection of such beliefs. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">3.</td><td valign="top">a custom or act based on such a belief. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">4.</td><td valign="top">irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion. </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dn" valign="top">5.</td><td valign="top">any blindly accepted belief or notion.</td></tr></tbody></table>

I once asked a respected Godbrother about the shastric basis of Ekadasi and he referred to it as a supersition that has some basis in Vedic lore.

Ever since then I sometimes refer to it as a superstition because an outsider who hears that all the sins of the world enter into grains and beans on the 11th day of the waxing and waning Moon would think it was a Hindu superstition.

I don't see anything particularly wrong in referring to it as a supersition because it contains some bizarre claims that ordinary people would consider as superstition.

Anything that cannot be verified empirically can be referred to as supersition because it is beyond verification with anything other than Vedic lore and legend.

If it can be proven emprically then we can remove it from the classification as superstitition.

Belief is supersition.

Even the Supersoul is superstition because we really cannot prove His existence beyond faith and belief.

I never heard that all the worlds sins enter into beans and grains at those times. Based on that superstiton works for me. Like foam containing all the sins etc. Or some cows blood entering the earth and becoming beets and carrots etc. Some devotees apparently won't eat carrots because they see it as eating a cow. I mean c'mon folks.

Would never use the word to apply to Supersoul though. He is readily appreciable through intelligence.

I observe Ekadashi because it pleases Krishna, and it's a chance to remember Him a little more intensely than on other days. The gopis don't observe Ekadashi because it wouldn't please Krishna for them to go without something. Because we were trained to do so when I was young, I also chant more japa on Ekadashi than on other days.

I worry a lot less about what I can eat on Ekadashi; it seems as though I'm trying to figure out what I can get away with. Jeez--it's only one day.

I just wrote the answer for this in my blog yesterday. Please check it out at http://photos-india.blogspot.com.

Haribol renuka, I hope you don't mind but I copied your blog entry and will paste it here for everyone's referrence

Various parts of the subcontinent follow different almanac. The eleventh day after the full moon is called Ekadasi. It comes twice a month. In all the almanac this day is considered very auspicious. People fast from food and perform not other economic activity on this day.

According to the Purana's (corollary Vedic texts written by Srila Vyasadev who is the compiler of Vedas) once there was a demon called Mura. He was very strong and had subjugated the entire universe including the upper and lower planets under his evil and powerful rule. One should note here that according to Srimad Bhagavatam, this particular universe we are in has totally seven planetary systems. The earth planet is in the middle.

The head of the demigods, Indra along with his associates from the upper planetary system appealed to Lord Vishnu to protect them from this evil demon who has snatched away their kingdom. Lord Vishnu, who is the saviour of His devotees came to fight the demon and their fight lasted for many thousand celestial years.

During the fight Lord Vishnu chose to rest for some time in a cave and reclined to it. However the demon saw this as a good opportunity to attack and kill his enemy. Meanwhile vishnu.jpgthe bodily effulgence of reclining Lord Vishnu took the form of a beautiful lady called Ekadasi and fought with Mura. She defeated and killed the demon. Upon waking the Lord was very pleased with what Ekadasi had achieved. So He granted her a boon that every eleventh day after the full moon would be known by her name and that anyone who does devotion to Lord Vishnu on that day would derive manifold benefits than on other days.

Hence the Vaishnavas, worshipper of Lord Vishnu observe this day as very special and they spend the whole day in complete remembrance of the Supreme by chanting His holy name, doing bajans, reading holy scripture and associating with like minded people. They fasekadasi.jpgt on this day to lessen the time spent of bodily needs and also to get the mellow mood of worship which is conducive in a not-so robust body. They fast particularly from grains. It is believed that the Sin personified appealed to the Lord for shelter as on Ekadasi everything is so pure. The Lord gave place in the grains. Hence the Vaishnavas stay away from grains on this day. Some fast on fruit diet, some take only milk, some take only water and there are some who take 'nirjala' fasting which means not even water. This is an amazing austerity that they take for their spiritual benefit.

However Ayurveda also recommends fasting with fruit diet at least once in fifteen days for detoxifying the body. Habits of the yore are, no doubt, well thought out processes that helps in overall health and well being. Good to know about them.

Very nice explanation. I had never heard that story before. But that is no surprise as I have only read Bhagavat Purana. Even if one does not take the story literally the idea of increased hearing and chanting coupled with a decrease in mundane activities makes ekadasi a spiritual observance and a healthy one at that.

Thank you for such a rich explanation.

<CENTER><CENTER><H1>Apasampradayer Svarupa

</CENTER><CENTER>by Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

</CENTER>The Smarta Doctrine

Two kinds of smrti sastra:

1) spiritual, or satvata smrtis;

2) material, moral or fruitivework oriented smrtis.

Satvata smrtis include: Sri Bharadvaja Samhita (included in Narada Pancaratra), Brhat Samhita, Visnu Samuccaya, Vaikhanas Samhita, the Agamapramanya compiled by Sage Albandaru, the Sadacar Smrti compiled by Sage Purna Prajna, the Krsnamrta Maharnava, the SmrtyarthaSagara by Cchadari Nrsimhacarya, the Prameyamala by Vira Raghava, the Prayoga Candrika, the Vaisnava?dharmasuradrumamanjari by SamkarsanaSaranadeva, the Smrti?ratnakara by Vitthalacarya, the Sri Haribhaktivilasa by Srila Gopala Bhatta Gosvami Prabhu, the Sri Satkriyasaradipika and the Samskaracandrikapaddhati by Sri Dhyana Candra.

"The ordinary nontheorist community and the sinful living entities cannot understand the wide difference existing between apparent similarities and sincere dedication ((between a "smarta" and a Vaisnava)). They are thus becoming smartas with external vaisnava designations; thatis, although externally maintaining all the rituals and activities of a Vaisnava, they internally cherish allegiance to the smarta ideal of materialistic work. The lay nontheorist society cannot diagnose this deceptive disease infecting the remotest corners of the heart; it is the true doctor, conversant in the scriptures and in the science of Krsna, who is aware of these complications and can persuade the frank and surrendered soul of these diseases and endeavor for their cure. They look for sincere dedication and not for external details of Vaisnavism or for drama. Where dedication serves materialism the sense organs, and seeks peace, prasadam and contentment, there are only material or moral regulations the smarta doctrine in the guise of a socalled vaisnava doctrine is evident. Only the mercy ofa pure devotee can deliver one from this dire calamity."

Celebrating occasions like Ekadasi:

Vaisnavas or spiritualists celebrate such occasions as enhancers of devotion or out of the pleasure of serving Krsna and without any desire. Smartas, on the other hand, celebrate them for physical or mental welfare or as activities fulfilling their moral, economic or sexual desires. So, notwithstanding apparent similarities, the motives of Vaisnavas vs. those of smartas are poles apart. Taking bath in and worshiping the Ganges

Vaisnavas view the Ganges as nectar from Visnu's feet, are reminded of Visnu by her contact and take bath in her in a spirit of service, knowing her to be a transcendental object of service. So "even Ganga herself desires to bathe Haridasa". But the smartas want to utilize Ganges water for cleansing themselves of sins, filth and unholy thoughts. The Ganges, whose water even Lord Siva takes gladly on his head as it washes the feet of his Lord, the smartas want to use as maidservant or a sincleansing machine.

Installing and worshiping Deity forms of the Lord:

The Vaisnavas do not differentiate between Krsna Himself and His Deityform. They accept sankirtana as the prime means of worship and by that means perform the abhisekha and other rituals, according to Sriman Mahaprabhu's instructions. The smartas consider the Deity as different from the Lord, as something transient and imaginary for temporary assistance of the aspirant, to be rejected or immersed later on. They imagine to instil life and consciousness into the idol and employ it in gratifying their desires. Sometimes they even use Deity worship for enhancing some trade.

Establishing monasteries:

The Vaisnavas establish monasteries to provide saintly association and propagate the sankirtana movement. They believe that just as lighting a fire to cook food rids us of darkness and cold as well without separate endeavor, similarly sankirtana will relieve us of all social problems. Smartas, on the other hand, pompously open monasteries for the sake of selfadvertisement or for some temporal social or moral welfare. Thus freehospitals, artifical celibacyschools, gymnasiums, etc. are often part of their monasteries. Or they may open abbeys for hoarding property, deceiving other people or such other material activities.

Deity worship:

Vaisnavas know that the non-Vaisnava or onoprincipled man is not qualified for Deity worship even if born in the best of families. Only when he attains "bhutasuddhi" or the realization that the constitutional position of the living entity is a servant of Krsna from a bona fide spiritual master can he perform purified worship. To the smartas the only qualification necessary for Deity worship are birth in a high family, external clenaliness and ability to chant sanskrit verses. The post of Deity worship expands like a priest's profession. Mentally they do not consider the Deity as God and do not try to arrange for the Deity's comfort. </H1></CENTER>

<center>They are thus becoming smartas with external vaisnava designations; thatis, although externally maintaining all the rituals and activities of a Vaisnava, they internally cherish allegiance to the smarta ideal of materialistic work.

I've been called a smartas(s) before. Of course, I'm not even *externally* maintaining anything.

</center>