IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Relationship Between Gurus And Adi Guru?

Rate this topic

HH Sivarama Swami writes in his book, "THE ROLE OF THE SIKSA GURU" ( 236 pages,word.doc, 600 KB) that the adi guru cannot be missed out by the following spiritual masters. What rises the question, what then are the duties of the following gurus, if they have to abide the teachings of adi guru? In order for a following guru to guide and to cope with desa-kala-patra (time, place and circumstance) but cannot miss out the adi guru, why not just follow the adi guru?

PART TWO: THE FOUNDER ACARYA AND THE POSITION OF THE CURRENT GURUS.

by His Holiness Sivarama Swami

4. WHAT IS RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GURUS AND ADI GURU?

The founder acarya is the root cause of the sampradaya. As it is impossible for the leaf of a tree to be independent of its roots, so the all Vaisnavas are dependent on him in all ways.

a. The founder acarya is the siksa guru for all members of his sampradaya for all times.

b. He has taken responsibility to guide and deliver all those who follow him through his representatives.

c. His followers should understand his teachings and be faithful to them.

d. Followers of the Adi guru should not revert to the teachings of any other teacher or Vaisnava who are not strict followers of the founder acarya.

e. Both siksa gurus or diksa gurus derive their authority from the founder acarya through allegiance to his teachings. It is their duty to represent the teachings of the Adi guru.

f. All devotes should understand and follow the teachings of the predecessor acaryas through following the instructions of the founder acarya.

g. By his great power and by following his instructions, the non liberated guru acts as one liberated and his disciples achieve liberation.

h. His worship is a regular function of all vaisnavas.

i. He is not seen as another guru, but is always unique.

j. In his physical presence all other vaisnavas recognize his superiority and act as his agents. Thus he is uniquely distinct from all other vaisnava gurus.

The relationship with the founder acarya is also very much dependent on his teachings. Devotees may not concoct or manufacture a relationship which is not in tandem with the example and instructions of the adi guru.

why not just follow the adi guru?

Yeah!!! Why should I have to go through my employer's Payroll department to get my pay-check?? Why can't I just saunter into the US Mint and ask for my pay in gold coins (well, it wouldn't be many gold coins, but you get the idea (hopefully)?

Again, Im lost. Just like all this other philosophy that came years and decades after Srila Prabhupadas disappearance, now we have "adi guru". What is adi, another of the endless adjectives to quantify and qualify the word Guru?

Repeated from the other thread, Four types come to krnsa. But the needy leave after their needs are met, when misery subsides, the miserable leave as well.

With the inquisitive get philosophy, they uswe it to create more philosophy, this is why inquisitiveness is NOT a pure and permanent symptom, because we see this new revisionism ad nauseum.

Where is Sophia, where is wisdom, where is Vyasadeva. Without wisdom, no one stays the course.

mahaksadasa

Again, Im lost. Just like all this other philosophy that came years and decades after Srila Prabhupadas disappearance, now we have "adi guru". What is adi, another of the endless adjectives to quantify and qualify the word Guru?

Same here, brother...

I thought that for all Gaudiyas Adi-Guru is Lord Balarama (or Sri Advaita). Now the concocters out there are fabricating another bogus theory that Prabhupada is Adi-Guru.