IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
indulekhadasi

Mahabharata Test

Rate this topic

I have highlighted correct options in blue. In some places I have also put some comment.

Who is the real mother of Karna?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Radha

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Gandhari

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Kunti

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Satyavati

<u1:p></u1:p>

2.)What is the name of Karna’s foster mother?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Radha

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Gandhari

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Kunti

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Satyavati

<u1:p></u1:p>3.)How many children did Gandhari have?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.50

<u1:p></u1:p>b.75

<u1:p></u1:p>c.100

<u1:p></u1:p>d.101 (Gandhari had 100 sons and 1 daughter Dushala, so total 101. Let me also add one more thing here. Often people say that Dhritrashtra had 100 sons. That is wrong. Gandhari had 100 sons but Dhritrashtra had 101 sons. Yuyutsu, who sided with Pandava's in Mahabharata war was not born from Gandhari. Including 1 daughter, Dhritrashtra had total 102 children.)

<u1:p></u1:p>4.)Where does Dronacharya go after he is insulted by King Drupada?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Indraprastha

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Hastinapura

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Dwaitavana forest

<u1:p></u1:p>d.The ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:place u2:st="on">Himalayas</st1:place></st1:place>

<u1:p></u1:p>5.)Where was the palace in which Duryodhana wanted to burn the Pandavas?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Virat

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Hastinapura

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Varanavata

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Khandavaprastha

<u1:p></u1:p>6.)What was the name of Nakula’s mother?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Kunti

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Madri

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Dushala

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Gandhari

<u1:p></u1:p>7.)Who was the father of Bheeshma?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Santanu

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Bahlika

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Kripacharya

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Dronacharya

<u1:p></u1:p>8.)What is the name of the word Bheeshma?

(Do you want to know the meaning of the word "Bheeshma"? Or, do you want to know the reason for Devavrata being given the name Bheeshma. I am assuming that you are asking for meaning. As per Sanskrit, Bheeshma means one who has done something terrific or something, which is considered by others to be impossible. Therefore, I am selecting c. But if you want to know the reason, then it will be d.)

<u1:p></u1:p>a.the son of a mighty king

<u1:p></u1:p>b.the valiant one

<u1:p></u1:p>c.one who has done the impossible

<u1:p></u1:p>d.one who has taken a great/terrible oath

<u1:p></u1:p>9.)Whom did Ekalavya consider as his guru?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Kripacharya

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Parshurama

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Dronacharya

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Maitreya Rsi

<u1:p></u1:p>10.)Who crowns Karna as the King of Anga?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.King Dhritarastra

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Duryodhana

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Lord Surya, Karna’s worshipable Lord ordered Karna to rule over the <st1:place u2:st="on"><st1><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt; height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///D:\DOCUME~1\VISHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:P<!--[endif]-->laceType w:st="on">kingdom</st1><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///D:\DOCUME~1\VISHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:P<!--[endif]-->laceType> of <st1><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///D:\DOCUME~1\VISHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:P<!--[endif]-->laceName w:st="on">Anga</st1><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///D:\DOCUME~1\VISHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:P<!--[endif]-->laceName></st1:place> in a dream

<u1:p></u1:p>d.King Drupada

<u1:p></u1:p>11.)Who was the husband of Dushala?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Jayadratha

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Sishupala

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Yudisthira

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Bhima

<u1:p></u1:p>12.)Who offered poisoned sweets to Bhima when he was young?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Dushashana

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Vikarna

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Duryodhana

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Shakuni

<u1:p></u1:p>13.)Who sends the man to dig a tunnel in the shellac palace at Varanavata fearing that something unwanted may happen to the Pandavas?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Karna

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Vikarna

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Duryodhana

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Vidura

<u1:p></u1:p>14.)Who is the brother of Draupadi?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Duryodhana

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Dhristadhyumna (Shikhandi was also Draupadi's brother. Shikhandi was born as a female but a spirit turned her into a male.)

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Kripacharya

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Kritavarma

<u1:p></u1:p>15.)Who came to Draupadi’s rescue when she was being disrobed in the Kaurava court?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Lord Rama

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Lord Surya

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Lord <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Lord Agni

<u1:p></u1:p>16.)Why is Arjuna called Partha?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Because he is the son of Pritha or Kunti

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Because he is handsome therefore the word pretty has been derived from Pritha

<u1:p></u1:p>c.His chariot had a unique partition therefore today we know the word pretty has been derived from Partha

<u1:p></u1:p>d.That was <st1:place u2:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>’s favorite name for him

<u1:p></u1:p>17.)For how many days was Dronacharya the commander of the Kaurava army?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.2

<u1:p></u1:p>b.7

<u1:p></u1:p>c.3

<u1:p></u1:p>d.5(Bhisma fell on 10th day. On 11th day, Drona became commander. Drona died on 15th day. Thus he was commander for total 5 days (11,12,13,14,15).

<u1:p></u1:p>18.)Who was the charioteer of Karna when he assumed command of the Kaurava army?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Adiratha, his father

<u1:p></u1:p>b.<st1:place u2:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Shalya

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Bhurisrava

<u1:p></u1:p>19.)With what instrument does Dronacharya take out the ring in the well?

<u1:p></u1:p> a.blades of grass(He threw a blade of grass, chanted a mantra because of which the blade of grass became like a spear and attached itself to the ring. Then Dronacharya pulled out the ring with the help of that grass-blade.)

<u1:p></u1:p> b.an arrow

<u1:p></u1:p>c.a Bramastra

<u1:p></u1:p>d.a mace

<u1:p></u1:p>20.)Once, when the Pandavas had gone on a hunting expedition, who stopped their barking of their dog and how?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Bhima, by roaring so loudly that the dog stopped in his tracks and fainted on the ground

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Arjuna, by killing the dog

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Ekalavya, by sealing the dog’s mouth shut by arrows

<u1:p></u1:p>d.<st1:place u2:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>, by touching the dog with his flute

<u1:p></u1:p>21.) What disguise did the Pandavas wear when they went to the Swayamvara of Draupadi?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Brahmanas (Note: I have noticed some people saying sanyasis. But Mahabharata says brahmanas. Moreover, the same person can be both a sanyasi and a brahmana. But sanyasis did not take part in swyamvaras. Therefore, it is better to say that Pandavas disguised as brahmanas.)

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Sanyasis

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Snatakas

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Potters

<u1:p></u1:p>22.)What was the real name (not nickname or epithet) of Bheeshma?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Gangeya

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Brahmacari

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Devavrata

<u1:p></u1:p>d. Satyeya

<u1:p></u1:p>23.)Who killed Jayadratha in the Mahabharata War?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Bhima

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Karna

<u1:p></u1:p>c.Satyaki

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Arjuna

<u1:p></u1:p>24.)Why did Gandhari keep her eyes covered with a piece of cloth?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.she hated to see the bad sights of the world and to prevent that from happening at any moment, she always kept her eyes covered

<u1:p></u1:p>b.her husband, Dhritarastra, was blind and she did not want to place herself in a superior position than him

<u1:p></u1:p>c.to show she was not lusty

<u1:p></u1:p>d.she did not want to look upon the beautiful sights of the world which would make her uninterested in spiritual life

<u1:p></u1:p>25.)Who was the charioteer of Arjuna in the Mahabharata war?

<u1:p></u1:p>a.Satyaki

<u1:p></u1:p>b.Dhristadhyumna

<u1:p></u1:p>c.<st1:place u2:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>

<u1:p></u1:p>d.Abhimanyu

Post your comments on my answers. After that I will post the answers to test-2.

Hare Krishna. Wow! Wonderful job. For the question about the meaning of Bhishma's name, I could see your predicament. I was looking for the answer D, but I will take your answer. The only other answer that was wrong was #19. Once when the Pandava boys and the Kaurava boys were playing their ball had fallen into a well. That was brought up by Dronacharya with blades of grass. Then Dronacharya threw his ring in the well, to show the young princes he knew how to do other magical things, and he brought it up using an arrow. So that was the only problem. Otherwise all your answers are correct! I await the next set of answers.

As per Sanskrit vocabulary, the word "Bhisma" means what I answered. Though Devvrata was given the name Bhisma for what is written in D because that also is an example of a very difficult task.

Yes, you are right about question 19. I was answering for ring but I was thinking about ball. May be because I was thinking about the incident shown in B.R. Chopra's Mahabharat TV serial in which he pulls out the ball using blades of grass.:)

But, as you said, he pulls out the ring using his arrow. I would like to have just a very small disagreement from you. He does not throw his ring after taking out the ball. Rather, he throws the ring even before he tries taking out the ball. He says that he will take out both the ball and the ring in exchange for food. (So sad, he must be very hungry.:crying2:)

As Sambhava Parva of Mahabharat says:-

The princes were very sad that the ball had gone inside the well. Dronacharya said that being kshatriyas, it was shameful for them that they were not able to take out the ball. He also said that if he was promised food, then he would take out not only the ball but also his ring. Then he threw the ring inside the well.

Yudhisthir promised that Drona would get something, which would last him for life.

Drona took some grass and chanted some mantra. The grass blades became weapons. He piereced the ball with one grass. With another blade, he pierced first blade and so on. This way, he made a chain. By pulling that chain, he could take out the ball.

The amazed princes asked Drona to take out the ring also. Drona took up a bow an arrow. He hit the ring with the arrow and took out the ring.

(What would happen if Dronacharya was still alive and he participated in Olympics.:idea:)

Note:- You must already be knowing this story, but I still wrote for the benefit of those, who may not know.

My answers are in blue. I have left one question unanswered. The question is how many years King Janamejaya’s snake-sacrifice last? As I remember from reading Mahabharata, I did not find it mentioned anywhere. I did not find it anywhere in Bhagavatam also. May be it is in some other scripture.

If you have read it in Mahabharata, kindly let me know the verse number.

1.)With whom did Kunti stay when the Pandavas were exiled?

a.Vidura

b.Dhritarastra

c.Dushashana

d.The Pandavas themselves

2.)To whom does Yudisthira offer first worship at the Rajasuya Yajna?

a.Bheeshma

b.Dronacharya

c.Krishna

d.Kripacharya

3.)With what weapon does <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> kill Sishupala?

a.arrow

b.mystical energy

c.his club, Kaumodaki

d.his discus, Sudarsana

4.)For how many days was the Mahabharata war fought?

a.365

b.11

c.1,000,000,000

d.18

5.)For how many days did Bheeshma fight as the commander of the Kaurava army?

a.10

b.76

c.5

d.3

6.)Who kills Jarasandha in a wrestling challenge?

a.Duryodhana

b.Krishna

c.Bhima

d.Ghatotkacha

7.)What was the name of the kingdom ruled by Jarasandha?

a.Chedi

b.Magadha

c.Nishada

d.Madras

8.)Who takes Drupada prisoner at the command of Dronacharya?

a.Arjuna

b.Duryodhana

c.Yudisthira

d.Aswathama

9.)Who suggests that the Pandavas be sent to Varanavata to Dhritarastra, and how did he make the real plot sound unsuspicious?

a.Shakuni, saying there is a very proud dice player who could teach the Pandavas how to play dice there

b.Vidura, saying that they should go on pilgrimage for their father’s sake and that on the way they could stop at Varanavata because his mother’s relative had recently moved there and Vidura needed someone to take a letter from him to her anyway

c.Duryodhana, saying that Dhritarastra should invite them to the fun fair there which would take place soon

d.Purochan, saying that the Pandavas needed to live in a temporary palace of their own and Varanavata would be the best place for them to stay a while and enjoy their new palace

10.)What was Draupadi’s real name (not nickname or epithet)?

a. Krishnaa

b. Panchali

c. Savitri

d. Kurumaraa

11.)For whom was the epithet Vasudeva used?

a.Balarama

b.Krishna

c.Satyaki

d.Sini

12.)Among the sons of Pandu who were the twins?

a.Nalakuvera and Manigriva

b.Nara and Narayana

c.Nakula and Sahadeva

d.Ashwin and Ashwini

13.)Who was the son of Hidimbi and Bhima?

a.Iravan

b.Ghatotkacha

c.Babhruvahana

d.Abhimanyu

14.)What was the name of Dronacharya son?

a.Kripacharya

b.Bahlika

c.Yuyutsu

d.Aswathama

15.)What was the name of the kingdom ruled by Drupada?

a.Panchala

b.Matsya

c.Draupad

d.Nishada

16.)For how many years did King Janamejaya’s snake sacrifice last?

a.2

b.4

c.12

d.8

17.)Who killed the rakshasa Kirmira?

a.Krishna

b.Bhima

c.Arjuna

d.Sahadeva

18.)Who first recited the Mahabharata in public?

a.Vyasadeva

b.Vaishampayana

c.Dhaumya

d.Valmiki

19.)Who was the husband of Dushala?

a.Sishupala

b.Karna

c.Duryodhana

d.Jayadratha

20.)Who curses Nahusha and turns him into a python?

a.Agastya Rsi

b.Dhaumya Rsi

c.Jamadagni Rsi

d.Parvata Rsi

None of the given options is correct. As per Mahabharata, it was Bhrigu who cursed Nahusha. Nahusha yoked Agastya to his chariot. Bhrigu, assuming a very small size, was hidden inside Agastya's matted locks. Nahusha kiccked Agastya with foot. At this, Bhrigu cursed Nahusa.

Some scriptures say that Agastya cursed Nahusha. But the test is on Mahabharata. As per Mahabharata, Bhrigu cursed Nahusha.

21.)How has the Kauravas arranged their army on the 13<sup>th</sup> day of the battle?

a.Crow formation

b.Circle formation

c.Needle formation

d.Eagle formation

22.)Who was the mother of Vedavyasa?

a.Ganga devi

b.Saraswati devi

c.Satyavati

d.Ambalika

23.)What was the color of the flag of Bheeshma?

a.red

b.green

c.yellow

d.white(I accept that I am not very sure about this. :( I do not remember what color I read in Mahabharata. But I remember that white color was mentioned in TV serial Mahabharata. :))

24.)How does Duryodhana win Shalya over to his side?

a.He uses Shakuni to play a dice game with him and the wager was that Shakuni come over to his side. Duryodhana then won the dice game

b.He prepares lavish hospitality to Shalya without revealing his identity

c.He glorifies Madri to him

d.He uses his knowledge of illusions to make Shalya think the Kauravas were the Pandavas

25.)What made Duryodhana want to give up his life after the fight with the gandharvas?

a.The shame that the Pandavas had saved his life and he was eternally indebted to them

b.He was suffering from too much pain from the Gandharva’s arrows

c.He felt embarrassed that he had put the Pandavas in danger

d.He was to scared to ask forgiveness from the Pandavas

Hare Krishna. I must say that you are a Mahabharata expert. You did very nicely on this one also. For the agastya question I was expecting you to chose Agastya Muni. When Bhima was in Nahusha's clutches and Yudhisthira asked him about his situation he had explained that Agastya Muni had cursed him. But since you explained your answer, it is ok. The Janamejaya sacrifice was 12 days and it is found in the 37th section in the Astika Parva of the Adi Parva of Mahabharata. And with the Dronacharya thing, sure, I will be willing to accept that. Nice job, and Hare Krishna!

Since teacher is pleased, perhaps she'll let us leave school early today for Sri Radhastami!!

;)

Hare Krishna. I must say that you are a Mahabharata expert. You did very nicely on this one also. For the agastya question I was expecting you to chose Agastya Muni. When Bhima was in Nahusha's clutches and Yudhisthira asked him about his situation he had explained that Agastya Muni had cursed him. But since you explained your answer, it is ok. The Janamejaya sacrifice was 12 days and it is found in the 37th section in the Astika Parva of the Adi Parva of Mahabharata. And with the Dronacharya thing, sure, I will be willing to accept that. Nice job, and Hare Krishna!

The question asks for how many years. If the sacrifice continued for 12 days, please modify your question to replace "years" by "days".

Whoops, I mean years. I wrote it right on the test, I must have been sleeping this time. Or maybe it is the Radhastami fasting.:)