IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Uddhava Gita!!!!!!!!!

Rate this topic

SB 11.7.45 - Saintly persons become powerful by execution of austerities. Their consciousness is unshakable because they do not try to enjoy anything within the material world. Such naturally liberated sages accept foodstuffs that are offered to them by destiny, and if by chance they happen to eat contaminated food, they are not affected, just like fire, which burns up contaminated substances that are offered to it.

So, does this mean, that the liberated sages do not pray to the Lord to give them their daily bread?

bigStory.jpg

SB 11.7.50 Just as the sun evaporates large quantities of water by its potent rays and later returns the water to the earth in the form of rain, similarly, a saintly person accepts all types of material objects with his material senses, and at the appropriate time, when the proper person has approached him to request them, he returns such material objects. Thus, both in accepting and giving up the objects of the senses, he is not entangled.

PURPORT by Prabhupada's disciples

A Krishna conscious person never feels proprietorship over the opulences entrusted to him by Lord Krishna for spreading the Krishna consciousness movement. The devotees of Lord Krishna should not merely accumulate material wealth, but should distribute the opulences of Lord Krishna in such a way that the Krishna consciousness movement spreads unlimitedly. This is a lesson to be learned from the sun.

----

A fully Krsna conscious person does not go through all the mental games that a non-devotee does when gathering and dispensing material objects. The materialist hankers for the perceived pleasure that such objects will afford him and laments upon having to part with them once attained.

For the devotee however both the gathering and dispensing of such objects are one and the same devotional act because he gathers with the purpose of dispensing for the highest good, Krsna's service.

Much like breathing . We take in the breath and exhale the breath as part of one action...breathing. Both taken together constitute a breath. There is no thought of hanging on desparately to the inhaled breath and fighting the exhalation when the appropriate time has come.

There is nothing more natural to the soul than loving and serving Krsna.

god1a.jpg

TRANSLATION SB 11.7.51

Even when reflected in various objects, the sun is never divided, nor does it merge into its reflection. Only those with dull brains would consider the sun in this way. Similarly, although the soul is reflected through different material bodies, the soul remains undivided and nonmaterial.

PURPORT by Srila Prabhupada's disciples

The sun is reflected in many objects, such as windows, mirrors, shiny metal, oil, water, and so on, yet the sun remains one and indivisible. Similarly, the eternal spirit soul within the body is reflected through the screen of the material body. Thus the soul appears to be old or young, fat or skinny, happy or sad. The soul may appear to be American, Russian, African, Hindu or Christian; however, the eternal soul in its natural position is free of any material designation.[...]

---------

It is enlightening to see the material body as a container holding only the reflection of ourselves. Just as a pot only gives off a dim vauge idea of the potency of the sun by displaying a little light and a little heat so the material container only gives us a dim vauge vision of our true selves.

Understanding of the self must ultimately come through direct perception and experience. But in the mean time we can analyse the nature of the reflection and follow it back to it's source through intelligence and gain a solid, howbeit theorhetical, understanding of the nature of ourselves, the soul.

We see that in the six symptoms of life through which the bodily container goes through it is the soul that is vital and constant. Birth, growth, remaining for some time, the production of by-products, dwindling and eventually death all depend directly on the presence of the life force(soul). Even death indirectly depends on the soul. It is made possible only by the absence of the life force. If the life force does not leave there is no death.

Also by analysis we see that through all the changes of metabolism, as well as these six symptoms, which are happening at every moment, the self remains the only constant principle and is impervious to change.

This points to the souls eternality and constitution of true anti-matter which is changeless and therefore must not be of material origin or directly effected by material laws.

Thus we can accept the soul is eternal spirit. -Sat Brahman

We can also trace all cognition to the self. Does a dead body think and feel? The soul possesses awareness. -Cit

Bliss we may have to take on faith for the time being being careful not to come to think of it as a procuct of absence of suffering. This leads to impersonalism and voidism. But our Vaisnava teachers assure us bliss is in loving Krsna and during the course of sadhana Krsna kindly dispenses little drops of bliss onto our bowed heads to keep us inspired and strenthening our conviction. -Ananda

TRANSLATION SB 11.7.52

One should never indulge in excessive affection or concern for anyone or anything; otherwise one will have to experience great suffering, just like the foolish pigeon.

PURPORT by Srila Prabhupada's disciples

The Sanskrit prefix ati, or "excessive," indicates affection or attachment in which there is no Krishna consciousness. Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad-gita (5.29), suhridam sarva-bhutanam: the Lord is the eternal well-wisher of every living being. The Lord is so affectionate that He sits in the heart of every conditioned soul and accompanies him throughout his endless wandering in the kingdom of maya, patiently waiting for the conditioned soul to come back home, back to Godhead. Thus the Lord makes all arrangements for the eternal happiness of every living entity. The best way for anyone to show compassion and affection for all living beings is to become a preacher on behalf of Lord Krishna and assist the Lord in reclaiming the fallen souls. If our affection or attachment for others is based on bodily sense gratification, in the name of society, friendship and love, that excessive, unwanted affection (ati-sneha) will cause burning pain at the time of the breaking or destruction of the relationship. Now the story of the foolish pigeon will be narrated. A similar story is described in the Seventh Canto, Second Chapter of Srimad-Bhagavatam, told by Yamaraja to the mourning widows of King Suyajna.

SB 11.7.53 - There once was a pigeon who lived in the forest along with his wife. He had built a nest within a tree and lived there for several years in her company.

SB 11.7.54 - The two pigeons were very much devoted to their household duties. Their hearts being tied together by sentimental affection, they were each attracted by the other's glances, bodily features and states of mind. Thus, they completely bound each other in affection.

SB 11.7.55 - Naively trusting in the future, they carried out their acts of resting, sitting, walking, standing, conversing, playing, eating and so forth as a loving couple among the trees of the forest.

SB 11.7.56 - Whenever she desired anything, O King, the she-pigeon would flatteringly cajole her husband, and he in turn would gratify her by faithfully doing whatever she wanted, even with great personal difficulty. Thus, he could not control his senses in her association.

SB 11.7.57 - Then the female pigeon experienced her first pregnancy. When the time arrived, the chaste lady delivered a number of eggs within the nest in the presence of her husband.

SB 11.7.58 - When the time was ripe, baby pigeons, with tender limbs and feathers created by the inconceivable potencies of the Lord, were born from those eggs.

SB 11.7.59 - The two pigeons became most affectionate to their children and took great pleasure in listening to their awkward chirping, which sounded very sweet to the parents. Thus with love they began to raise the little birds who were born of them.

SB 11.7.60 - The parent birds became very joyful by observing the soft wings of their children, their chirping, their lovely innocent movements around the nest and their attempts to jump up and fly. Seeing their children happy, the parents were also happy.

SB 11.7.61 - Their hearts bound to each other by affection, the foolish birds, completely bewildered by the illusory energy of Lord Vishnu, continued to take care of the young offspring who had been born to them.

SB 11.7.62 - One day the two heads of the family went out to find food for the children. Being very anxious to feed their offspring properly, they wandered all over the forest for a long time.

SB 11.7.63 - At that time a certain hunter who happened to be wandering through the forest saw the young pigeons moving about near their nest. Spreading out his net he captured them all.

SB 11.7.64 - The pigeon and his wife were always anxious for the maintenance of their children, and they were wandering in the forest for that purpose. Having obtained proper food, they now returned to their nest.

SB 11.7.65 - When the lady pigeon caught sight of her own children trapped within the hunter's net, she was overwhelmed with anguish, and crying out, she rushed toward them as they cried out to her in return.

SB 11.7.66 - The lady pigeon had always allowed herself to be bound by the ropes of intense material affection, and thus her mind was overwhelmed by anguish. Being in the grip of the illusory energy of the Lord, she completely forgot herself, and rushing forward to her helpless children, she was immediately bound in the hunter's net.

SB 11.7.67 - Seeing his own children, who were more dear to him than life itself, fatally bound in the hunter's net along with his dearmost wife, whom he considered equal in every way to himself, the poor male pigeon began to lament wretchedly.

SB 11.7.68 - The male pigeon said: Alas, just see how I am now destroyed! I am obviously a great fool, for I did not properly execute pious activities. I could not satisfy myself, nor could I fulfill the purpose of life. My dear family, which was the basis of my religiosity, economic development and sense gratification, is now hopelessly ruined.

SB 11.7.69 - My wife and I were an ideal match. She always faithfully obeyed me and in fact accepted me as her worshipable deity. But now, seeing her children lost and her home empty, she has left me behind and gone to heaven with our saintly children.

SB 11.7.70 - Now I am a wretched person living in an empty home. My wife is dead; my children are dead. Why should I possibly want to live? My heart is so pained by separation from my family that life itself has become simply suffering.

SB 11.7.71 - As the father pigeon wretchedly stared at his poor children trapped in the net and on the verge of death, pathetically struggling to free themselves, his mind went blank, and thus he himself fell into the hunter's net.

SB 11.7.72 - The cruel hunter, having fulfilled his desire by capturing the head pigeon, his wife and all of their children, set off for his own home.

SB 11.7.73 - In this way, one who is too attached to family life becomes disturbed at heart. Like the pigeon, he tries to find pleasure in mundane sex attraction. Busily engaged in maintaining his own family, the miserly person is fated to suffer greatly, along with all his family members.

SB 11.7.74 - The doors of liberation are opened wide to one who has achieved human life. But if a human being simply devotes himself to family life like the foolish bird in this story, then he is to be considered as one who has climbed to a high place only to trip and fall down.

SB 11.7.45 - Saintly persons become powerful by execution of austerities. Their consciousness is unshakable because they do not try to enjoy anything within the material world. Such naturally liberated sages accept foodstuffs that are offered to them by destiny, and if by chance they happen to eat contaminated food, they are not affected, just like fire, which burns up contaminated substances that are offered to it.

As spoken by Jesus Christ, obvious same intent, shorter version:

Luke 10:8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you.

Good thread, theist. I'll be looking to get a copy of Uddhava-gita.

The painting in post #24 is now on my desktop...very beautiful and well-done.

I can't wait myself. Google images brings up a lot of nice pictures. So much wonderful Krsna conscious art out there. Suchandra imports a lot to here and Rocana at Sampradaya Sun always has the best.

I think you would love the works of Frank Wesley. He was an Indian Christian who painted Christ in an Indian style which gives a much more spiritual sense to the form of Christ. Google for woman at the well.

I can't wait myself. Google images brings up a lot of nice pictures. So much wonderful Krsna conscious art out there. Suchandra imports a lot to here and Rocana at Sampradaya Sun always has the best.

I think you would love the works of Frank Wesley. He was an Indian Christian who painted Christ in an Indian style which gives a much more spiritual sense to the form of Christ. Google for woman at the well.

Thanks, I will check out Frank Wesley.

I'd also like to know the name of and see more of the work of the artist who did the post #24 painting. It's a wonderful synthesis of the traditional Indian and Western approaches, and very skillfully conceived and executed.

theist...I googled Frank Wesley.

Yes, very beautiful work reflecting Indian heritage and Christian faith. I would like to have an original!

With that name, when you said Indian, I was thinking...native American?

theist...I googled Frank Wesley.

Yes, very beautiful work reflecting Indian heritage and Christian faith. I would like to have an original!

With that name, when you said Indian, I was thinking...native American?

Yes, I looked for somewhere selling his prints but could find nothing. He is famous in Indian circles and was called upon to design some offical depiction of Gandhi I think on their money or something. Should be something available. Huge market in the US for his work if there is an enterprising soul reading this.

That was the end of the 7th chapter of the 11th canto which is the first chapter in the Uddhava gita. Next will be the wonderful story of Pingala the brahmana avadhuta's guru in the form of a prostitute and how she developed detachment.

Almost forgot about the patient python.

SB 11.8.1 - The saintly brahmana said: O King, the embodied living entity automatically experiences unhappiness in heaven or hell. Similarly, happiness will also be experienced, even without one's seeking it. Therefore a person of intelligent discrimination does not make any endeavor to obtain such material happiness.

SB 11.8.2 - Following the example of the python, one should give up material endeavors and accept for one's maintenance food that comes of its own accord, whether such food be delicious or tasteless, ample or meager.

SB 11.8.3 - If at any time food does not come, then a saintly person should fast for many days without making endeavor. He should understand that by God's arrangement he must

fast. Thus, following the example of the python, he should remain peaceful and patient.

SB 11.8.4 - A saintly person should remain peaceful and materially inactive, maintaining his body without much endeavor. Even though possessed of full sensual, mental and physical strength, a saintly person should not become active for MATERIAL gain but rather should always remain alert to his actual self-interest.

SB 11.8.5 - A saintly sage is happy and pleasing in his external behavior, whereas internally he is most grave and thoughtful. Because his knowledge is immeasurable and unlimited he is never disturbed, and thus in all respects he is like the tranquil waters of the unfathomable and unsurpassable ocean.

SB 11.8.6 - During the rainy season the swollen rivers rush into the ocean, and during the dry summer the rivers, now shallow, severely reduce their supply of water; yet the ocean does not swell up during the rainy season, nor does it dry up in the hot summer. In the same way, a saintly devotee who has accepted the Supreme Personality of Godhead as the goal of his life sometimes will receive by providence great material opulence, and sometimes he will find himself materially destitute. However, such a devotee of the Lord does not rejoice in a flourishing condition, nor is he morose when poverty-stricken.

A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of desires—that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is ever being filled but is always still—can alone achieve peace, and not the man who strives to satisfy such desires. Gita - 2.70

From <a href=http://vedabase.net/cc/adi/9/13-15/en>CC Adi 9.13-15p</a>:<blockquote>The Gaura-gaNoddeza-dIpikA (118) states, purI zrI-paramAnando ya AsId uddhavaH purA. "<B>ParamAnanda PurI is none other than Uddhava</b>." Uddhava was Lord KRSNa's friend and cousin, and in caitanya-lIlA the same Uddhava became the friend of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu and His uncle in terms of their relationship in the disciplic succession.</blockquote>

From <a href=http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/2/78/en>CC Madhya 2.78p</a>:<blockquote><B>ParamAnanda PurI is said to have been Uddhava in VRndAvana</b>. His affections with SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu were on the platform of paternal love. This was because ParamAnanda PurI happened to be the Godbrother of the spiritual master of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu. Similarly, <B>RAmAnanda RAya, who is considered an incarnation of Arjuna and by some an incarnation of VizAkhAdevI</b>, enjoyed unalloyed fraternal love with the Lord.</blockquote>

<a href=http://vedabase.net/sb/11/14/15 en target=new>SrImad-BhAgavatam (11.14.15)</a>:<BLOCKQUOTE>"O Uddhava! Neither BrahmA, nor SaGkara, nor SaGkarSaNa, nor LakSmI, nor even My own self is as dear to Me as you."</BLOCKQUOTE>

<a href=http://vedabase.net/cc/antya/7/45/en target=new>CC Antya 7.45</a>:<BLOCKQUOTE>"Completely distinct from love of KRSNa in opulence, pure love of KRSNa is on the highest level. On the surface of the world there is no devotee greater than Uddhava.</BLOCKQUOTE>

<a href=http://vedabase.net/cc/adi/9/13-15/en target=new>CC Adi 9.13-15p</a>:<BLOCKQUOTE>It is stated in the Caitanya-bhAgavata (Antya 3.255):

prabhu bale Ami ye Achiye pRthivIte

nizcaya-i jAniha purI-gosAJira prIte

"SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu used to say, ‘I am living in this world only on account of the excellent behavior of SrI ParamAnanda PurI.'" The Gaura-gaNoddeza-dIpikA (118) states, purI zrI-paramAnando ya AsId uddhavaH purA. "ParamAnanda PurI is none other than Uddhava."</BLOCKQUOTE>

<a href=http://vedabase.net/cc/antya/14/14/en target=new>CC Antya 14.14</a>:<BLOCKQUOTE>SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu's emotions exactly corresponded to those of SrImatI RAdhArANI when She met Uddhava. The Lord always conceived of Himself in Her position and sometimes thought that He was SrImatI RAdhArANI Herself.</BLOCKQUOTE>

<a href=http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/1/87/en target=new>CC Madhya 1.87</a>:<BLOCKQUOTE>Just as SrImatI RAdhArANI talked inconsistently with a bumblebee in the presence of Uddhava, SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu in His ecstasy talked crazily and inconsistently day and night.

PURPORT

This unmAda (madness) is not ordinary madness. When SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu talked inconsistently, almost like a crazy fellow, He was in the transcendental ecstasy of love. In the highest transcendental ecstasy there is a feeling of being enchanted in the presence of the enchanter. When the enchanter and the enchanted become separated, mohana, or bewilderment, occurs. When so bewildered due to separation, one becomes stunned, and at that time all the bodily symptoms of transcendental ecstasy are manifested. When they are manifest, one appears inconceivably crazy. This is called transcendental madness. In this state, there is imaginative discourse, and one experiences emotions like those of a madman. The madness of SrImatI RAdhArANI was explained to KRSNa by Uddhava, who said, "My dear KRSNa, because of extreme feelings of separation from You, SrImatI RAdhArANI is sometimes making Her bed in the groves of the forest, sometimes rebuking a bluish cloud, and sometimes wandering about in the dense darkness of the forest. Thus She has become like a crazy woman."</BLOCKQUOTE>

SB 11.8.7 - One who has failed to control his senses immediately feels attraction upon seeing a woman's form, which is created by the illusory energy of the Supreme Lord. Indeed, when the woman speaks with enticing words, smiles coquettishly and moves her body sensuously, his mind is immediately captured, and thus he falls blindly into the darkness of material existence, just as the moth maddened by the fire rushes blindly into its flames.

SB 11.8.8 - A foolish person with no intelligent discrimination is immediately aroused at the sight of a lusty woman beautifully decorated with golden ornaments, fine clothing and other cosmetic features. Being eager for sense gratification, such a fool loses all intelligence and is destroyed just like the moth who rushes into the blazing fire.

SB 11.8.9 - A saintly person should accept only enough food to keep his body and soul together. He should go from door to door accepting just a little bit of food from each family. Thus he should practice the occupation of the honeybee.

SB 11.8.10 - Just as the honeybee takes nectar from all flowers, big and small, an intelligent human being should take the essence from all religious scriptures.

SB 11.8.11 - A saintly person should not think, "This food I will keep to eat tonight and this other food I can save for tomorrow." In other words, a saintly person should not store foodstuffs acquired by begging. Rather, he should use his own hands as his plate and eat whatever fits on them. His only storage container should be his belly, and whatever conveniently fits into his belly should be his stock of food. Thus one should not imitate the greedy honeybee who eagerly collects more and more honey.

SB 11.8.12 - A saintly mendicant should not even collect foodstuffs to eat later in the same day or the next day. If he disregards this injunction and like the honeybee collects more and more delicious foodstuffs, that which he has collected will indeed ruin him.

SB 11.8.13 - A saintly person should never touch a young girl. In fact, he should not even let his foot touch a wooden doll in the shape of a woman. By bodily contact with a woman he will surely be captured by illusion, just as the elephant is captured by the she-elephant due to his desire to touch her body.

SB 11.8.14 - A man possessing intelligent discrimination should not under any circumstances try to exploit the beautiful form of a woman for his sense gratification. Just as an elephant trying to enjoy a she-elephant is killed by other bull elephants also enjoying her company, one trying to enjoy a lady's company can at any moment be killed by her other lovers who are stronger than he.

SB 11.8.15 - A greedy person accumulates a large quantity of money with great struggle and pain, but the person who has struggled so much to acquire this wealth is not always allowed to enjoy it himself or give it in charity to others. The greedy man is like the bee who struggles to produce a large quantity of honey, which is then stolen by a man who will enjoy it personally or sell it to others. No matter how carefully one hides his hard-earned wealth or tries to protect it, there are those who are expert in detecting the whereabouts of valuable things, and they will steal it.

SB 11.8.16 - Just as a hunter takes away the honey laboriously produced by the honeybees, similarly, saintly mendicants such as brahmacaris and sannyasis are entitled to enjoy the property painstakingly accumulated by householders dedicated to family enjoyment.

SB 11.8.17 - A saintly person dwelling in the forest in the renounced order of life should never listen to songs or music promoting material enjoyment. Rather, a saintly person should carefully study the example of the deer, who is bewildered by the sweet music of the hunter's horn and is thus captured and killed.

SB 11.8.18 - Becoming attracted to the worldly singing, dancing and musical entertainment of beautiful women, even the great sage Rishyasringa, the son of Mrigi, fell totally under their control, just like a pet animal.

SB 11.8.19 - Just as a fish, incited by the desire to enjoy his tongue, is fatally trapped on the fisherman's hook, similarly, a foolish person is bewildered by the extremely disturbing urges of the tongue and thus is ruined.

SB 11.8.20 - By fasting, learned men quickly bring all of the senses except the tongue under control, because by abstaining from eating such men are afflicted with an increased desire to gratify the sense of taste.

SB 11.8.21 - Although one may conquer all of the other senses, as long as the tongue is not conquered it cannot be said that one has controlled his senses. However, if one is able to control the tongue, then one is understood to be in full control of all the senses.

Oh! Why couldn't you have posted this a few months ago, before I fell again into this trap?!?!!

Now I'm miserable and hopeless (at least as far as the woman goes).

SB 11.8.7 - One who has failed to control his senses immediately feels attraction upon seeing a woman's form, which is created by the illusory energy of the Supreme Lord. Indeed, when the woman speaks with enticing words, smiles coquettishly and moves her body sensuously, his mind is immediately captured, and thus he falls blindly into the darkness of material existence, just as the moth maddened by the fire rushes blindly into its flames.

Oh! Why couldn't you have posted this a few months ago, before I fell again into this trap?!?!!

Now I'm miserable and hopeless (at least as far as the woman goes).

So now be the perfect householder like Bhaktivinode Thakur. Be guru to your wife and kids.

Avoiding marriage is not the same as avoiding lust. If you had not married maybe you would have fallen into Pingala's trap.

SB 11.8.22 - O son of kings, previously in the city of Videha there dwelled a prostitute named Pingala. Now please hear what I have learned from that lady.

SB 11.8.23 - Once that prostitute, desiring to bring a lover into her house, stood outside in the doorway at night showing her beautiful form.

SB 11.8.24 - O best among men, this prostitute was very anxious to get money, and as she stood on the street at night she studied all the men who were passing by, thinking, "Oh, this one surely has money. I know he can pay the price, and I am sure he would enjoy my company very much." Thus she thought about all the men on the street.

SB 11.8.25-26 - As the prostitute Pingala stood in the doorway, many men came and went, walking by her house. Her only means of sustenance was prostitution, and therefore she anxiously thought, "Maybe this one who is coming now is very rich...Oh, he is not stopping, but I am sure someone else will come. Surely this man who is coming now will want to pay me for my love, and he will probably give lots of money." Thus, with vain hope, she remained leaning against the doorway, unable to finish her business and go to sleep. Out of anxiety she would sometimes walk out toward the street, and sometimes she went back into her house. In this way, the midnight hour gradually arrived.

SB 11.8.27 - As the night wore on, the prostitute, who intensely desired money, gradually became morose, and her face dried up. Thus being filled with anxiety for money and most disappointed, she began to feel a great detachment from her situation, and happiness arose in her mind.

SB 11.8.28 - The prostitute felt disgusted with her material situation and thus became indifferent to it. Indeed, detachment acts like a sword, cutting to pieces the binding network of material hopes and desires. Now please hear from me the song sung by the prostitute in that situation.

SB 11.8.29 - O King, just as a human being who is bereft of spiritual knowledge never desires to give up his false sense of proprietorship over many material things, similarly, a person who has not developed detachment never desires to give up the bondage of the material body.

SB 11.8.30 - The prostitute Pingala said: Just see how greatly illusioned I am ! Because I cannot control my mind, just like a fool I desire lusty pleasure from an insignificant man.

SB 11.8.31 - I am such a fool that I have given up the service of that person who, being eternally situated within my heart, is actually most dear to me. That most dear one is the Lord of the universe, who is the bestower of real love and happiness and the source of all prosperity. Although He is in my own heart, I have completely neglected Him. Instead I have ignorantly served insignificant men who can never satisfy my real desires and who have simply brought me unhappiness, fear, anxiety, lamentation and illusion.

SB 11.8.32 - Oh, how I have uselessly tortured my own soul! I have sold my body to lusty, greedy men who are themselves objects of pity. Thus practicing the most abominable profession of a prostitute, I hoped to get money and sex pleasure.

SB 11.8.33 - This material body is like a house in which I, the soul, am living. The bones forming my spine, ribs, arms and legs are like the beams, crossbeams and pillars of the house, and the whole structure, which is full of stool and urine, is covered by skin, hair and nails. The nine doors leading into this body are constantly excreting foul substances. Besides me, what woman could be so foolish as to devote herself to this material body, thinking that she might find pleasure and love in this contraption?

SB 11.8.34 - Certainly in this city of Videha I alone am completely foolish. I neglected the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who awards us everything, even our original spiritual form, and instead I desired to enjoy sense gratification with many men.

SB 11.8.35 - The Supreme Personality of Godhead is absolutely the most dear one for all living beings because He is everyone's well-wisher and Lord. He is the Supreme Soul situated in everyone's heart. Therefore I will now pay the price of complete surrender, and thus purchasing the Lord I will enjoy with Him just like Lakshmidevi.

SB 11.8.36 - Men provide sense gratification for women, but all these men, and even the demigods in heaven, have a beginning and an end. They are all temporary creations who will be dragged away by time. Therefore how much actual pleasure or happiness could any of them ever give to their wives?

SB 11.8.37 - Although I most stubbornly hoped to enjoy the material world, somehow or other detachment has arisen in my heart, and it is making me very happy. Therefore the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Vishnu, must be pleased with me. Without even knowing it, I must have performed some activity satisfying to Him.

SB 11.8.38 - A person who has developed detachment can give up the bondage of material society, friendship and love, and a person who undergoes great suffering gradually becomes, out of hopelessness, detached and indifferent to the material world. Thus, due to my great suffering, such detachment awoke in my heart; yet how could I have undergone such merciful suffering if I were actually unfortunate? Therefore, I am in fact fortunate and have received the mercy of the Lord. He must somehow or other be pleased with me.

SB 11.8.39 - With devotion I accept the great benefit that the Lord has bestowed upon me. Having given up my sinful desires for ordinary sense gratification, I now take shelter of Him, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

SB 11.8.40 - I am now completely satisfied, and I have full faith in the Lord's mercy. Therefore I will maintain myself with whatever comes of its own accord. I shall enjoy life with only the Lord, because He is the real source of love and happiness.

SB 11.8.41 - The intelligence of the living entity is stolen away by activities of sense gratification, and thus he falls into the dark well of material existence. Within that well he is then seized by the deadly serpent of time. Who else but the Supreme Personality of Godhead could save the poor living entity from such a hopeless condition?

SB 11.8.42 - When the living entity sees that the entire universe has been seized by the serpent of time, he becomes sober and sane and at that time detaches himself from all material sense gratification. In that condition the living entity is qualified to be his own protector.

SB 11.8.43 - The avadhuta said: Thus, her mind completely made up, Pingala cut off all her sinful desires to enjoy sex pleasure with lovers, and she became situated in perfect peace. Then she sat down on her bed.

SB 11.8.44 - Material desire is undoubtedly the cause of the greatest unhappiness, and freedom from such desire is the cause of the greatest happiness. Therefore, completely cutting off her desire to enjoy so-called lovers, Pingala very happily went to sleep.

Therefore, completely cutting off her desire to enjoy so-called lovers, Pingala very happily went to sleep.

And, reading this, I have awakened very happily today.

May I have the strength, courage, and surrender to follow in the footsteps of Bhaktivinoda Thakur!!

And, reading this, I have awakened very happily today.

May I have the strength, courage, and surrender to follow in the footsteps of Bhaktivinoda Thakur!!

And with hopes and aspirations like that how could Krsna not bless you and your family Murali? You have quoted BR Sridhar Maharaja, "A man is known by his ideals." Indeed it is so.

What is holding us down to this gross material plane? Christ said where your treasures are there your heart will be also. We must be thinking we have found some treasure in this world or are just about too, which is one of maya's great tricks.

These treasures will be different for everyone and even change from one period in our life to the next. The young man wants a young wife house money etc. The same man when old and in his death bed is just hanging on for one more breath, "just let me live a moment longer." Just see how maya humilates us.

Attachment is the anchor that keeps our boats from successfully sailing across the ocean of birth and death.

-----

SB 11.9.1 - The saintly brahmana said: Everyone considers certain things within the material world to be most dear to him, and because of attachment to such things one eventually becomes miserable. One who understands this gives up material possessiveness and attachment and thus achieves unlimited happiness.

SB 11.9.2 - Once a group of large hawks who were unable to find any prey attacked another, weaker hawk who was holding some meat. At that time, being in danger of his life, the hawk gave up his meat and experienced actual happiness.

SB 11.9.3 - In family life, the parents are always in anxiety about their home, children and reputation. But I have nothing to do with these things. I do not worry at all about any family, and I do not care about honor and dishonor. I enjoy only the life of the soul, and I find love on the spiritual platform. Thus I wander the earth like a child.

SB 11.9.4 - In this world two types of people are free from all anxiety and merged in great happiness: one who is a retarded and childish fool and one who has approached the Supreme Lord, who is beyond the three modes of material nature.

SB 11.9.2 - Once a group of large hawks who were unable to find any prey attacked another, weaker hawk who was holding some meat. At that time, being in danger of his life, the hawk gave up his meat and experienced actual happiness.

As death approaches me at an age I can no longer so easily ignore, I see that I am still bound by the stringent laws that govern this process of death and subsequent rebirth.

It's all mental of course as we never are born nor do we die but what am I hanging on to that prevents me from actually tasting the pleasure of my own immortality? We are all hanging on to our little piece of meat.

What is my piece of meat?

Maybe just the basic idea that I can still find happiness independent of Krsna and consider myself the primary enjoyer. Must be as I don't have anything else.