IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

The talking dog of Chaitanya lila!

Rate this topic

CC Antya 1.17: While going to Jagannātha Purī, Śivānanda Sena allowed a dog to go with him. He supplied it food to eat and maintained it.

CC Antya 1.18: One day, when they needed to cross a river, an Orissan boatman would not allow the dog to get in the boat.

CC Antya 1.19: Śivānanda Sena, unhappy that the dog had to stay behind, paid the boatman ten paṇa of conchshells to take the dog across the river.

CC Antya 1.20: One day while Śivānanda was detained by a tollman, his servant forgot to give the dog its cooked rice.

CC Antya 1.21: At night, when Śivānanda Sena returned and was taking his meal, he inquired from the servant whether the dog had gotten its meals.

CC Antya 1.22: When he learned that the dog had not been supplied food in his absence, he was very unhappy. He then immediately sent ten men to find the dog.

CC Antya 1.23: When the men returned without success, Śivānanda Sena became very unhappy and fasted for the night.

CC Antya 1.24: In the morning they looked for the dog, but it could not be found anywhere. All the Vaiṣṇavas were astonished.

CC Antya 1.25: Thus in great anxiety they all walked to Jagannātha Purī, where Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu met them as usual.

CC Antya 1.26: Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu went with them to see the Lord in the temple, and on that day He also took lunch in the company of all those devotees.

CC Antya 1.27: As previously, the Lord provided them all with residential quarters. And the next morning all the devotees came to see the Lord.

CC Antya 1.28: When all the devotees came to the place of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, they saw the same dog sitting a little apart from the Lord.

CC Antya 1.29: Furthermore, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu was throwing remnants of green coconut pulp to the dog. Smiling in His own way, He was saying to the dog, "Chant the holy names 'Rāma,' 'Kṛṣṇa' and 'Hari.'"

CC Antya 1.30: Seeing the dog eating the green coconut pulp and chanting "Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa" again and again, all the devotees present were very surprised.

CC Antya 1.31: When he saw the dog sitting in that way and chanting the name of Kṛṣṇa, Śivānanda, because of his natural humility, immediately offered his obeisances to the dog just to counteract his offenses to it.

CC Antya 1.32: The next day, no one saw that dog, for it had obtained its spiritual body and departed for Vaikuṇṭha, the spiritual kingdom.

CC Antya 1.33: Such are the transcendental pastimes of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, the son of mother Śacī. He even delivered a dog simply by inducing it to chant the mahā-mantra, Hare Kṛṣṇa.

Thus, the dog attained it's spiritual body (siddha deha) simply by chanting Hare Krishna.

siddha-deha pāñā kukkura vaikuṇṭhete gelā

No other secret formula was necessary.

This is a very nice purport in text 32.

This is the result of sādhu-sańga — consequent association with Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu and promotion back home, back to Godhead. This result is possible even for a dog, by the mercy of the Vaiṣṇava. Therefore, everyone in the human form of life should be induced to associate with devotees. By rendering a little service, even by eating prasādam, what to speak of chanting and dancing, everyone can be promoted to Vaikuṇṭhaloka. It is therefore requested that all our devotees in the ISKCON community become pure Vaiṣṇavas, so that by their mercy all the people of the world will be transferred to Vaikuṇṭhaloka, even without their knowledge. Everyone should be given a chance to take prasādam and thus be induced to chant the holy names Hare Kṛṣṇa and also dance in ecstasy. By these three processes, although performed without knowledge or education, even an animal went back to Godhead.

So, just as in Mahaprabhu's movement in South India, Srila Prabhupada preaches a simple formula that can deliver all the suffering souls of the world without some exotic, esoteric secret sadhana that a few rare liberated souls of bygone eras might have practiced.

The preaching arm of Mahaprabhu's movement does not practice these secret, exotic, esoteric sadhanas that only a few rare liberated souls are qualified for.

Mahaprabhu's movement is for the masses.

It is not an exclusive cult of secret, exotic practices that are impractical for the common folk of kali-yuga.

Srila Prabhupada and the Saraswata acharyas didn't come to preach some secret cult of priveledged esoteric sadhana.

They brought a practical, simple and effective formula that is within reach of the common folk all over the world.

There are those who seek to establish that the Sankirtan movement of Mahaprabhu is an exclusive cult of secret, exotic rituals that are not practical for the common people of the modern age.

This is not what the missionary movement of Mahaprabhu is about.

Even dogs and all sorts of fallen souls can get deliverance through the Sankirtan movement of Mahaprabhu as described in the purport of Srila Prabhupada without having to be initiated into secret, exotic rituals that might have been practiced by some of the most elevated souls of a bygone era.

Such propaganda is simply a disturbance to the movement of Mahaprabhu as Srila Rupa Goswami himself has stated in the Bhakti-rasamrita-sindhu.

People can be delivered even without their own knowledge according to the statement of Srila Prabhupada in the above purport.

"Now I wanna be your dog!!"

--Iggy Pop and the Stooges

dogs in Hinduism

1 28. May, 2008 by florinorfolk

http://florinorfolk.wordpress.com/

It is very interesting reading about the role dogs play in various religions. Here some details about dogs in Hinduism, mainly during the Tihar festival that falls roughly in November every year.

180px-Dog_worship_in_Hinduism.jpg A dog after being decorated in Kukur tihar , the “dogs’ Day” in Nepal

<dl><dd>During the Nepalese Tihar Festival, on Day Two: On the second day of Tihar, Kukur (Dogs) are adorned with flower garlands, red tika on their forehead, and are offered food, they are the king of the day! On this day, people pray to the Kukur to guard their homes. There are lots of stray Kukur, but on this day, even the most unsightly Kukur will be treated like a king, every dog has a day. Tihar is also about breaking the boundaries only men created, “The Good”, “The Bad”, “The Ugly”! In Hinduism it is believed that Kukur guards the underworld empire.</dd><dd>chaturewith-garland.jpg?w=225&h=300

Shepherd Chature with garland</dd></dl> Dogs have a major religious significance among the Hindu in Nepal and some parts of India. . In Hinduism, it is believed that the dog is a messenger of Yama, the angel of death, and dogs guard the doors of Heaven. Socially, they are believed to the protectors of our homes and lives. So, in order to please the dogs they are going to meet at Heaven’s doors after death, so they would be allowed in Heaven, people mark the 14th day of the lunar cycle in November as Kukur-tihar, as known in Nepali language for the dog’s day. This is a day when the dog is worshipped by applying tika (the holy vermilion dot), incense sticks and garlanded generally with marigold flower.

” A dog plays many roles in our society. We have dogs in our houses as guardian of the house. As the legend also says that there is a dog at yama’s gate guarding the gate to the underworld. The dog is also the steed of the fearful Bhairab, the god of destruction. So on this day a big red tika is put on a dog’s forehead and a beautiful garland around the neck. After worshipping the dog, it is given very delicious meal. This day the saying ‘every dog has his day’ comes true; for even a stray dog is looked upon with respect. We pray to the dog to guard our house as he guards the gate of the underworld and to divert destruction away from our homes. On this day you can see dogs running around with garlands on their neck.” (Festivals of Nepal)

So, at least for one day, dogs have a good life in Nepal…

Nice Video of the song by a godbrother - click here

Sarvasva Tomara

click here

Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

sarvasva tomara, carane sapiya, padechi tomara ghare

tumi to’ thakura, tomara kukura, baliya janaha more (1)

O Lord, I have surrendered my everything at Your lotus feet and remain prostrate in

Your house. You are my Lord and I am Your dog. Kindly accept me as such.

badhiya nikate, amare palibe, rahiba tomara dvare

pratipa-janere, asite na diba, rakhiba gadera pare (2)

Chain me nearby. I shall stand guard at the door of your house. I will not allow any

unfavorable people to enter and will send them far away.

tava nija-jana, prasada seviya, ucchishta rakhibe jaha

amara bhojana, parama-anande, prati-dina ha’be taha (3)

Daily in supreme bliss I will accept the remnants of Your dear devotees who have

honored Your prasada.

basiya shuiya, tomara carana, cintiba satata ami

nacite nacite, nikate jaiba, jakhana dakibe tumi (4)

When lying down and sitting up, I will constantly remember Your lotus feet, and when

You call me, I will immediately come to You, dancing in bliss.

nijera poshana, kabhu na bhaviba, rahiba bhavera bhare

bhakativinoda, tomare palaka, baliya varana kare (5)

Shri Bhaktivinoda says, “O Lord, never thinking of my own sustenance, I will perpetually

remain submerged in bhava, because I have accepted You as my maintainer.”