IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mahak

dance hall stylee

Rate this topic

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->THE ROCK c 1995 by mahaksadasa

Kipu’ka Overture

Youth

I cannot it back

No money ever stopped the ticking of the clock

And if I sell my soul I will never get it back

So I run on to the Rescue, I run on to the Rock

When I hear tick-tock, it’s a real culture shock

Youth never goes away, it’s right there in the Rock

But if I never call His Name, I’ll never hear His knock

And I’ll fill another coffin and start another clock

If I run right now, I’ll never get away

I don’t really know if I have another day

If I can’t give my life to Him, I’ll throw it in the bay

The Rock is Govinda, the Rock is Jah way

I need to have Jah love, please don’t hide it all away

I cannot run no longer, can I give it up today?

To the Rock, Govinda, to the Rock is Jah way

Rock, Oh Govinda, Oh Rock of Jah way

Covered all in wrinkles, why I gotta talk?

Youth is not my subject, I ought to take a walk

It went away and broke my face and I thought I had it locked

Old and gray and blown away, laying on my back

I can chant down Babylon, and never ever crack

Even in a prison yard, where soldiers break my back

Sri Govinda’s Name can break all the prison locks

Sri Govinda’s the Rescue, I run on to His Rock

If I run right now, I’ll never get away

I don’t really know if I have another day

If I can’t give my life to Him, I’ll throw it in the bay

The Rock is Govinda, the Rock is Jah way

I need to have Jah love, please don’t hide it all away

I cannot run no longer, can I give it up today?

To the Rock, Govinda, to the Rock is Jah way

Rock, Oh Govinda, Oh Rock of Jah way

mean to fea no mon.

me heroes in dis venue are yellowman, cutty ranks, the great charlie chaplin (of cry blood fame), sistah breeze, and of course, mutabaruka.

chant down babylon, mon.

yer surf ant, mahak

PS Use lyrics as you please, just send me a check if they make di big buck, eh? Oh, and spell my name right on the record jacket.:)

Far out, Mahak....love the lyrics and can vividly picture the scene of the video even.....

Is it rock or reagge and when do you come with a CD...???

Would love to buy it....

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Mahaksa Prabhu can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe dance-hall is a sub-genre of reggae. Unlike the melodic songs of Bob Marley, dance-hall "toasting" is sort of like rapping. However, instead of speaking the lyrics, they are sung with a gruff monotone.

Far out, Mahak....love the lyrics and can vividly picture the scene of the video even.....

Is it rock or reagge and when do you come with a CD...???

Would love to buy it....

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I hope we dont get kicked off the spiritual discussions by this side bar, as the lyrics are quite spiritual and open for comment.

But dance hall reggae is the genesis for hip hop, which is kind of a blend between dance hall reggae and gangsta rap.

Reggae has two branches. From that beginning, with desmond decker (Israelites), toots and the maytals, the wailers with bunny, peter and bob, these later became known as roots reggae. Israel Vibration, burnin spear and others followed this line, and BTW, berekelyy is the home of some of the best, folks I knew in the nineties like rankin screw and ginger, the twinkle bros, della grant and pablo moses.

When reggae became very forceful genre in the early seventies, the djs who played the hits in trenchtown (kingston Jamaica) often sung along, and added their poetic license. Some of these DJs were awesome, like makabee, yellowman, cutty ranks, etc. A new form was started, dance hall reggae, and the DJs became major stars in their own right. Some performers did both, most notably charlie chaplin. There was also an orignial genre, the reggae poet, and from there we hane the likes of sista breeze and the great mutabaruka.

All of these folks have rastafarian leanings. Charlie chaplin most notably. I wish I had access to his wonderful lyriucs. Ras Michael was also quite profound.

The brits used some of the great DJs in their records. The best of these efforts has to be the performance of Mikey Dread (Dread at the controls) on the Clash's Sandinistha. I highly recommend for all the rockers out there this double album, the songs are sublime, and Mikey is the key to all of this (the rest of the clash is no slouch either, and we can all go straight to hell boy:)).

OK, I gotta run now, run now, but I never get away, dont even know if I have another day.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa