IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Arjuna Haridas

Can someone please help me?

Rate this topic

I'm new to Sri Vaishnavism. I was born in a Christian household, became a person who believed in but hated God, and later converted to Islam due to my search to find God and the unnatural attraction to God that I was born with (maybe it has something to do with my past life?). As of recently (April 2007), however, I've been a Vaishnava for a variety of reasons and miracles (which I was surprised about).

I deeply respect Ramanujacharya and I believe him to be Lakshmana reincarnate, which in turn makes him Adi Shesha incarnate. His purpose on this Earth was not because he was in Samsara, but because he wished to guide people. I firmly believe in his Vishishtadvaita Vedanta philosophy due to his giving Scriptural support from the Vedas, Upanishads, and the Puranas to support his philosophy.

I'm completely lost in Sri Vaishnava theology. Everywhere I turn for help, everyone is Gaudiya Vaishnava. It's hard to keep faith in Ramanujacharya's philosphy when there is nobody to help me at all. Due to the fact that I can't speak Tamil, Hindi, nor Sanskrit, I am lost.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1) I've heard that Ramanujacharya had discovered the 3 secrets to liberation and he told the public these 3 secrets (part of a very moving story about how he was willing to go to Hell in order to help others gain liberation). What were these 3 secrets?

2) I've heard that Ramanujacharya had developed 5 daily activites for us (the Nitya Grantha). What were these 5 daily activites, and what do we do if, for some reason, it's impossible for us to perform these daily activities?

3) How does Ramanujacharya recommend us to do puja and aarthi (if he recommends them), and what do we do if, for some reason, it's impossible for us to perform puja and aarthi the way he recommends?

4) How does Ramanujacharya recommend us to celebrate Ekadasi, and once again what do we do if, for some reason, it's impossible for us to celebrate Ekadasi in the way he recommends?

5) What is Ramanujacharya's position on meat-eating and drinking alcohol?

6) Besides the "Om Namo Narayanaya" chant (I forgot it's name), are there any other chants that Ramanujacharya recommends for us?

7) Finally, what is Ramanujacharya's belief of the nature of Goddess Lakshmi? Does he see Her as the Female aspect of Lord Vishnu? Or, does he see Her as the Female aspect of Ishvara, and Lord Vishnu as the Male aspect of Ishvara? Or, does he see Her as a simple mediatrix? In these cases, should we worship both of them or just Lord Vishnu? What does Ramanujacharya think of the other consorts of Lord Vishnu (if he believes there are any others)?

Please know that I live in a Christian household and am completely dependant on my parents due to my age and due to how much money I make, so it'll be impossible for me to set up murtis or hang up banners for Ekadasi and stuff like that (if they are necessary). For puja, however, I can use an image from the computer (pathetic, I know, but it's all I can do for now).

May Lord Vishnu bless you and be pleased with you!

Dear Arjuna Haridas,

I like Ramanuja too. If you have not read Swami Tapasyananda's book on Ramanuja you should get it.

On page 11 he says Gostipurna initiated Ramanuja into the Vaisnava Mantra and told him not to impart it to others. Soon afterward Ramanuja told many people. I don't know the words of the mantra however.

Let me, however, give you a few words of advice from one spiritual seeker to another. What should matter most to you now is your relationship with God. Pray to God everyday with all the sincerity of your heart. Meditate everyday and ask God to fill you with his light and wisdom. This is a sure path to wisdom. It does not matter if the prayer is a mantra or the prayer is with rosary beads. If you pour out your heart to God sincerely and surrender to Him you are on the right path. This is the path of bhakti (devotion), which is in harmony with Ramanuja's Vishishtadvaita Vedanta.

I am sorry I cannot answer your other questions but I am still learning about Hinduism too.

You should also check out http://www.ramanuja.org/

I would like to know the miracles that made you embrace the Vaisnava religion. If not possible to declare in public, you may send me a personal message.

You must not depend on a picture for worship, God can take any form. A wise Chinese book says "the TAO creates all forms, but it has no form of its own". All that the Hindus express through myths and symbols, the Chinese express in scientific terms.

In my opinion Christianity is a form of Vaisnavism, no religion can be against Vaisnavism, because nobody can oppose the only true God.

You shall find your way some time, i wish you find your way soon.