IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gauragopala dasa

Lets distribute Back to Godhead Magazine

Rate this topic

I remember on June 14th 1983 the Australian Yatra put a Hare Krishna magazine in every major paper. Every person, young and old new about the Krishna’s in those days regardless of our immaturity and naive pioneering spirit. I have been researching 'again' about stands and have got permission to put those stands in front of some shops at Malls.

Most young people today, in Australia at least, have not even seen a BTG Magazine. If we follow up on this we could see BTG become 'known by the public' again like it was in the 70s and 80s.

The movement is more mature now and the endeavour would be more rewarding than those early days of naivety and ignorance yet innocently full of enthusiasm.

Also I have noticed there are hardly any books in Libraries except for Universities. There needs to be an enormous push to again distribute books. I’ve been looking for Prabhupada’s books in Melbourne and except for his Gita, they do not exist in most Libraries

There needs to be an enormous push to again distribute books

to ordinary person and school students on the street.

I remember on June 14th 1983 the Australian Yatra put a Hare Krishna magazine in every major paper. Every person, young and old new about the Krishna’s in those days regardless of our immaturity and naive pioneering spirit. I have been researching 'again' about stands and have got permission to put those stands in front of some shops at Malls.

Most young people today, in Australia at least, have not even seen a BTG Magazine. If we follow up on this we could see BTG become 'known by the public' again like it was in the 70s and 80s.

The movement is more mature now and the endeavour would be more rewarding than those early days of naivety and ignorance yet innocently full of enthusiasm.

Also I have noticed there are hardly any books in Libraries except for Universities. There needs to be an enormous push to again distribute books. I’ve been looking for Prabhupada’s books in Melbourne and except for his Gita, they do not exist in most Libraries

There needs to be an enormous push to again distribute books

to ordinary person and school students on the street.

These are good stands that are cheap to make, yes it would be great to see Back to Godhead magazine in all Shopping Malls

mag1.jpg?t=11871945193364901680.jpg?t=1187194632LELD0069.jpg?t=1187194589

"The movement is more mature now and the endeavour would be more rewarding than those early days of naivety and ignorance yet innocently full of enthusiasm."

I would say the movement is older now in some ways less mature, it seems to me many are happy to lock themselves away and forget about spreading the movement. There is something to be said of naieve enthusiasm I still remember the roaming mobs in Berkely and their happiness which is what first introduced me to Krishna.

What people fail to realize is the interest is there, I buy alot of old books at this huge used bookstore near my house and last week when I went in there were 3 or 4 Bhagavad Gitas there and several other BBT titles, when I was there just 2 days ago ALL of the Bhagavad Gitas were gone along with one or 2 of the other BBT titles.

I think I may take your idea and buy a bunch and see what places I can get to offer them :D

"The movement is more mature now and the endeavour would be more rewarding than those early days of naivety and ignorance yet innocently full of enthusiasm."

I would say the movement is older now in some ways less mature, it seems to me many are happy to lock themselves away and forget about spreading the movement. There is something to be said of naieve enthusiasm I still remember the roaming mobs in Berkely and their happiness which is what first introduced me to Krishna.

What people fail to realize is the interest is there, I buy alot of old books at this huge used bookstore near my house and last week when I went in there were 3 or 4 Bhagavad Gitas there and several other BBT titles, when I was there just 2 days ago ALL of the Bhagavad Gitas were gone along with one or 2 of the other BBT titles.

I think I may take your idea and buy a bunch and see what places I can get to offer them :D

I have about 35 BTGs in storage, what are they doing in storage?? Today I'm going to hand them out for free and buy more off the BBT and hand them out, leave them at doctors surgerys, dentists, hairdressers and buses etc. And I know who would take a stand also.:idea:

Hard copy books and magazines are the nicest, to be sure.

However, from the practical perspective, it might be better to focus on distributing more on-line and spend the money you'd otherwise spend on printing costs to buy some higher rankings for the online books in the search engines.

Of course, not everybody is on-line, but more and more people are each day.

ISKCON has dozens and dozens of gurus now.

Let them preach and make their own disciples.

I don't want anything to do with that program.

Why should I distrubute books and make disciples for the ISKCON gurus who will most often disappoint the innocent souls who take shelter of them?

BTG was for bringing people to Srila Prabhupada.

When BTG becomes a device for bringing suckers to the ISKCON gurus I am outta here. :uzi:

Why should I distrubute books and make disciples for the ISKCON gurus who will most often disappoint the innocent souls who take shelter of them?

When BTG becomes a device for bringing suckers to the ISKCON gurus I am outta here. :uzi:

So what do you do to spread Krishna Consciousness? Your Spiritual Master said "distribute books"?

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. ;)

You got to show some mercy to those looking to connect to God and have some faith in the intelligence of the people to be able to better discriminate.

Remember it is the ultimately Sirla Prabhupada preaching to these people and Lord Krshna sitting in their hearts thats guiding them towards Him.:pray:

Everyone who is a Senior Devotee must show by Example and warn newcomers of the pitfalls and how to apply KC in your daily Life as Grehastas in this material world.

Yes we may have excuse "ohh I am not perfectly following..blah blah" But you are still adhereing to most of the part and working on the part you are lacking.

Remember in Bhagavad Gita (Sorry I do not remember the refrence) Lord Krsna promises that as you endeavour towards Him he will help by giving to you what you lack so that you may come to Him.:pray:

Just my 2 cent.

Hare Krshna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

So what do you do to spread Krishna Consciousness? Your Spiritual Master said "distribute books"?

Srila Prabhupada also said:

Letter to Hansadutta June 1972

Now, we have got so many students and so many temples but I am fearful that if we expand too much in this way that we shall become weakened and gradually the whole thing will be lost.

I think the expansion effort under the multitude of ISKCON gurus has fulfilled Srila Prabhupada's prediction and the whole thing has been lost.

Expansion should stop until ISKCON can tend to the needs of the devotees that Srila Prabhupada himself made.

That's my view.

That's my view.

It is surely a deliberate and clever strategy by the GBC to change ISKCON India into an efficient welfare org and thus with the help of the global network gain free access to taxpayers money in Europe and NA for the social development of a billion people 3rd world country. Somehow the way Vaishnavas used to distribute BTG like poor beggars on the streets doesnt fit anymore into this general view of a modernized ISKCON and a better organized way of BTG distribution is of great demand. Just one out of dozen examples how to handle the distribution of a religious magazine, Institute For Religious Research:

The Watchtower Society prints over 15 million copies of its magazines every week into 120 languages, and has over 5 million active Jehovah's Witnesses ("publishers") spreading its doctrines in 230 countries. What follows are some essential facts everyone should know about the history and beliefs of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

When reading report above how a religious magazine is pushed forward by simple-minded kanistha-adikaris and what happened with Prabhupada's Back To Godhead magazine, one might ask this question, does the GBC actually want that devotees go out to distribute BTGs? So far, Prabhupada's travelling Sankirtan project = Brahmacaris travelling all week through their country and distributing transcendental literature has been stopped all over Europe by the GBC. For comparison, around 1977 a 30-40 van fleet filled up with Prabhupada's books and BTGs was in use. Don't know the situation in US, but are there still Sankirtan parties?

This is very interesting. Note how there are peaks and valleys--it seems enthusiasm comes and wanes like waves.

Of course, the overall trend is disappointing. With new people being born every day, the argument that the books in society have reached a saturation point doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Still, this graph doesn't paint a complete picture--how many folks are accessing the Vedabase and/or downloading eBooks from any number of Vaishnava sites?

As for the comments about ISKCON seeking to become a charity organization--a recent event here in the US where a Christian Church group is coming under scrutiny for having a participant in one of its camps dragged behind a van, is bringing attention to just how much money has been given by the government under the Bush administration to Church groups for such things as teen outreach and abstinence advocacy.

I don't see how the accountability and relative stability of accepting government funds is a bad thing for the worldwide movement. On the other hand, it's only natural for "first-wavers" to miss that initial renegade enthusiasm.

sankirtan2.jpg

I don't see how the accountability and relative stability of accepting government funds is a bad thing for the worldwide movement.

When people in Europe read, ISKCON, headquarter Los Angeles, this is rather creating immense unnesseccary confusion. Something like telling Catholics in Italy that their headquarter is in Las Vegas. Telling people all over Europe that ISKCON is a private spiritual Israeli welfare org with headquarter in Jerusalem/Tel Aviv would immediately change everything to half the battle. All Europeans have Christian background, European Vaishnavas as well. Whatever might presently be the situation in Israel, all Europeans see their religious roots in Israel. If Europeans would find out that ISKCON Europe has its headquarter in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv there would be an immediate rush to support this movement by millions of people. This is called free advertising strategy - something which ISKCON leaders seem to have never heard of. Or may be they know it but are told to close down in Europe?

Myself, I have a boycott of ISKCON going on.

I don't distribute anything that will end up leading innocent seekers into the lair of the GBC guru nest.:silent:

I understand your point when it comes to Australia, the movement has been stagnated for years and the present leadership club of Ramai Swami and his yes men haven't changed since the 80s, in fact the movement is worse off now than it was in the 70s and 80s. The movement has not matured in Australia, thats a joke. Ramai Swami has always been layback and a non event. I remember when we would go on marathons selling books he would shack up in some motel. The guy is just plain lazy and he is on the GBC? WHAT A JOKE! As long as there are puffed up arrogent proud lazy 'swami's' like him just out to protect their own power basis 'leading' iskcon in Australia, the movement will remain stagnant. :wacko::rolleyes:

I understand your point when it comes to Australia, the movement has been stagnated for years and the present leadership club of Ramai Swami and his yes men haven't changed since the 80s, in fact the movement is worse off now than it was in the 70s and 80s. The movement has not matured in Australia, thats a joke. Ramai Swami has always been layback and a non event. I remember when we would go on marathons selling books he would shack up in some motel. The guy is just plain lazy and he is on the GBC? WHAT A JOKE! As long as there are puffed up arrogent proud lazy 'swami's' like him just out to protect their own power basis 'leading' iskcon in Australia, the movement will remain stagnant. :wacko::rolleyes:

ISKCON seems to be doing best in 3rd world countries or countries coming out of the communist melt-down of Russia.

In well-informed western countries ISKCON has just become a flailing skeleton of it's former self.

Western people don't like cheap imitations.

That is why we buy Japanese cars.

We want the good stuff.

Naive new devotees accept neophtye ISKCON gurus because they don't know any better. All they know is the post-Prabhupada ISKCON and they buy into it out of ignorance.

Thanks, realist, like elsewhere in France, Italy, Spain etc. there're at least 500 devotees outside of ISKCON in Australia who know how to properly run temples according Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu's and the great acaryas simple formular. As soon these devotees would unite=san, the kirtans would once again become sankirtan. Since this does not happen we somehow have to go on chanting our rounds in front of our own private home altar and hope that there's something like an automatic self-regulating process miraculously happening within ISKCON. An automatic self-regulating process like it is sometimes seen in nature - e.g. when certain plants are attacked and things get out of balance they produce substances to attract ladybugs (beneficial insect) who come for help until everything is once again in healthy balance - automatically. In sum the process and solution would be to believe in a self-regulating automatic mechanism happening within ISKCON which even works while we are sleeping.:sleep:

Isnt this realistic?

Don't get me wrong I still have heaps of faith in the teachings of Srila Prabhupada but to sit back and think 'nature' is going to look after everything, is not accurate either. The movement is sturdy in the eastern block because it is new and they are experiencing the originality we went through in the 70s, 80s and 90s, but in the end it all depends on the cream of the iskcon crop that push the movement forward with their humility, selflessness and purity. Australian leaders are still preaching the kind of surrender where you have to become under their thumb to win their favor and do as they demand, to them thats surrender. Ramai's mismanagement and cover-ups of the 80s is known by everyone and he gets away with it. The quicker he and his henchmen are over-ruled by genuinely advanced devotees, the quicker the factual preaching in Australia will again begin to have some positive effect. Ramai adjudicates everyone by their material opulence and how they suck up to him and NOT by their Krishna Consciousness. He cleverly plays the game to continue his position and conceal his secret hoard that everyone suspects, but no-one says anything because most are too immature and uneducated in authentic Krishna Consciousness to stand up to him. To pass judgment on him and his hidden wealth or expose his cover-ups will only lead him to turn everyone against you.. How long can this guy masquerade as a leader, GBC and swami, surrounded by his yes men for? Unfortunately most people are too frightened to speak out in Australia, so they just blindly follow his so called leadership, as a result the movement has been stagnant for years!! Maybe he knows this and is the real reason he does not take disciples. I would like to see magazine distributed too, but for people to go to the Temple and listen to that guy and serve him by collecting money for his sense gratification is not on!! :ponder:

Give me a book, I also want to be happy!

Srila Prabhupada transcendental book distribution Ki Jaya!

What is a effect or a realization of the distribution of Srila Prabhupada’s books?

One answer comes in the Srimad Bhagavatam 1.5.11:

tad-vag-visargo janatagha-viplavo yasmin prati-slokam abaddhavaty api namany anantasya yaso ‘nkitani yat srnvanti gayanti grnanti sadhavah

‘On the other hand, that literature which is full with descriptions of the transcendental glories of the name, fame, form and pastimes of the unlimited Supreme Lord is a transcendental creation meant to bring about a revolution in the impious life of a misdirected civilization. Such transcendental literatures, even though irregularly composed, are heard, sung and accepted by purified men who are thoroughly honest.’

Srila Prabhupada told the prophecy that his books will be the laws books for the next 10,000 years. The inspiration to continue to have enthusiasm comes from gurus or spiritual masters,sadhus or saintly persons and sastras or revealed scriptures. This verse quoted from S.Bhag. is a source of inspiration to continue along with Srila Prabhupada’s transcendental book distribution y to maintain fresh our ideal. Without ideals,life doesn’t make sense. Our ideal is clear: Srila Prabhupada’s books are meant to bring about a revolution in the impious life of a misdirected civilization of this world. With this ideal we go out voluntarily to distribute Srila Prabhupada’s books.Srila Prabhupada’s founded Bhaktivedanta Book Trust reported that they have been distributed over 500 million books in 45 languages.

This will not go without being noticed,this has an effect or reaction in human society! Thanks to Srila Prabhupada’s book distribution, concepts like karma,reencarnation,vegetarianism,etc.,are used in the communication media,TV,radio,cinema,newspapers,and among the people in general. Srila Prabhupada’s transcendental book distribution is auspicious in all respect. Srila Rupa Goswami gave a definition of auspicious. He said that something really auspicious is that witch is for the welfare of all the world.(Nectar of Devotion,Cap 1).There is no doubt that the one who distributes Srila Prabhupada’s books,the one who gives a donation for the book and the ones who see the devotee distributing,all get benefited spiritually. Related to the last case,I have an experience I would like to share with all of you. It was in Srila Prabhupada’s centennial Christmas marathon.

A very smart elder man approached me with a 20$ note saying: ‘ Please,I want one of these books.’ Usually nobody comes with 20$ in hand to ask for a book, it was outlandish .I asked him, ‘Why you want a book?’…. He said that he was living in an apartment just opposite the spot where we was distributing books and that the used to spend the day looking at us. He said ‘I came to the conclusion that you are happy, and transmit that happiness to others and that’s why people purchase your books’. He concluded saying, ‘So, please give me a book,I also want to be happy.’ Hearing this my hairs stood on end and I told him: ‘ Thanks for your appreciation,may God bless you.’ The conclusion is that, who sings and accepts Srila Prabhupada’s books? ; as the S.Bhag verse says, ‘the purified men who are thoroughly honest.’

Om Tat Sat. Haripada dasa

SPs-books.jpg?t=1187204555KX7.jpg?t=1187204853

B2BT715_b.jpg?t=1187458984

The World Goes Back to Godhead

by Madhava Smullen, Friends of the BBT Newsletter

Posted August 6, 2007

Back to Godhead magazine was Srila Prabhupada's first step towards fulfilling his Guru's order to preach Krishna consciousness in English. Now, years later, his disciples have taken his beloved magazine and brought it beyond the English-speaking market, just as he did with his books and teachings. With last year's Vyasa Puja book reporting over 90,000 copies printed in Europe and 600,000 in India, it's been a slow but sure success.

India

BTG has been published in many Indian languages, including Marathi, Hindi, Bengali, and Gujarati since the early seventies. But when former editor Jayadvaita Swami established offices in Mumbai in the early nineteen-nineties, he took things to the next level. "The offices bustle with energy," says Murari Gupta, writer at Bhagwad Darshan, BTG's Hindi branch, "And our staff are varied and dedicated."

It's an understatement. Try Shyamananda Dasa, editor of the English edition, who also translates Prabhupada's books into Marathi and fulfills temple president duties. Or Vamsi Vihari Dasa, who triples as proofreader, translator and writer, while moonlighting as pujari and flower decorator.

But Marathi edition Jao Devacha Gao, or "Go back to the abode of God," has possibly the most colorful staff in its sole member Vrindavan Kishor Dasa, translator, writer, and yes, national gold medalist gymnast.

BTG's Indian editions only have 32 pages compared to the US edition's 63. But audiences receive twice as many issues, and respond with enthusiasm.

"We set up a BTG stall at Nasik Kumbha Mela in 2005," Murari Gupta says. "Unfortunately, people were more interested in a loin clothed yogi doing complex yoga right beside us. But when we announced over our PA system that Bhakti yoga was the highest and could instill love of Godhead, the yogi himself took a copy, put it on a stand in front of him, and continued doing his performance.

Immediately, people started buying BTG, and by the end of the day we had distributed 10,000 copies. Through- out the whole event, we distributed 50,000 copies."

Italy

While Bhagwad Darshan was rising in India, Meditarranean BBT Trustee Madhusevita Dasa was launching Ritorno a Krishna, or "Back to Krishna" in Italy. Since few people in the country could speak English, he, along with current editor Nimai Pandita Dasa, saw a need and decided to fill it. The 48 page magazine mainly reproduces articles from the North American edition, but the staff's determination pushed them to continue even when that magazine ceased publication between 1991 and 1994.

"We were the only BTG in print in the world then," Nimai Pandita beams proudly. "Ritorno a Krishna has been published for almost twenty years without interruption, and we intend it to stay that way for much longer."

The bi-monthly magazine now sells 2,000 copies per issue, and remains a beacon of Krishna consciousness in Europe.

Hungary

A local Hare Krishna magazine was always at the center of preaching in Hungary. But when Manorama Dasa took over as editor, he wanted to integrate it with the BBT and named the magazine Vissza Istenhez - Hungarian for "Back to Godhead."

In an attempt to refresh BTG and make it more relevant, Manorama employed a professional graphic designer, had a local artist repaint the original logo, and created themed topical issues. These proved very popular, allowing readers to learn about a subject in depth and from many different angles.

BTG Hungary's content is also completely original, borrowing little or nothing from the North American edition. Instead, it features articles from local devotees, and aims them at an external audience.

"They're mainly introductory, for people interested in spirituality but with no deep Vedic knowledge," says Manorama. "We hope that our magazine will inspire them to read Srila Prabhupada's books, where they can deepen their knowledge."

The magazine is also very popular with devotees because it can teach them how to present a topic, and is a valuable preaching tool. Which leads to yet another unique quality of BTG Hungary - most, if not all, of the copies printed are distributed on the street. And that's impressive; considering that they print 10 to 20,000 copies per issue, and 60-80,000 copies per year.

This success is largely due to national management's treating BTG as a fully integrated part of ISKCON Hungary, rather than an isolated department. This year, local leaders introduced a new level of ISKCON membership that co-ordinates all preaching efforts and includes BTG subscriptions for every member.

Manorama believes that this kind of cooperation is the key to success. "Every BTG edition is successful in its own way," he acknowledges. "But imagine what would happen if all our resources were combined and coordinated?"

Distribute Back to Godhead, people cannot be cheated if they sincerely and intelligently read Srila Prabhupadas books and his Back to Godhead magazine. Realist your name isn't Virabhadra is it? :D Get over it mate, all things will pass, no one in these biological bodies can remain here forever, therefore no lie can live forever.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>

imaghjkle003.jpg?t=1187460927

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</B>Krishna sorts everything out eventually if you are sincere. These bodies are not who we really are. Even though we hear that every day, still we identify with these biological bodies. If we can scriptually understand this, then no-one can hurt us. Hare Krishna.