IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
HareRama123

Prayers are powerful

Rate this topic

The mundane disciple asked,

"When everything is predetermined and happens according to Karma, then why should we pray to God? Are prayers any useful at all?"

The Master said, "We have hospitals. We have medicines to cure almost all diseases. Yet people fall ill. Infact, we see people dying in hospitals and because of diseases that have medicinal cures.

Is it right to conclude that the hospitals and medicines are useless and abandon them completely? What would happen then? The situations will get only worse.

Prayers are POWERFUL.

Prayers are of course POWERFUL.

Infact Prayers with Mahamantra are extraordinarily powerful.

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

"

Any thoughts?

Radhe Radhe

Yes prayers with the maha-mantra but also remembering the maha mantra as prayer.

"O' Lord, O' Energy of the Lord kindly engage me in your service."

If prayers are our hearts desires we wish the Lord to fulfill, let it be this one. Let us petition in this way. If we don't have that desire then we desire to desire.

That too can seem insincere. So how do we bridge that gap? By associating with someone who has that desire already awakened within him. The same way one candle lights another, by contact.

The danger is that if we desire and pray intently for something in the material realm and get it we will only prolong our stay in the material realm. Sri Isopanishad tells us Krsna from within our hearts has already been awarding the fulfillment of those desires since time immemorial even without prayer.

So it seems we need to to purify our desires as a prelude to proper prayer. We can pray for that. And we practice that by mindful chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra.

Sure why not. It is good practice to write things down. As a spaced out ADD type myself I can attest to this. :confused:

But we must pray for that which is worthy of attaining.

People always quoted Vishnujana Swami as saying the cure for envy of your Godbrother is to pray for his advancement.

Praying like that really makes you work on your inner self. It also challenges us as to our level of sincerity. I found when praying to be forgiving to my parents that after all this time I have become very attached to my feeling of resentment towards them. I take a certain so-called strength from my anger. So such prayers help us become introspective and honest with ourselves. And when Krsna sees we want to improve in some area like this He will help us.

Keeping a journal of such things sounds like a good idea.

"I prayed to God sincerely. But the Lord did not answer my prayers. While, my friend prayed, and he got what he needed. Does my prayer lack faith? Why is Krishna partial?"

The Master replied,

"Any Prayer with the Mahamantra is a sincere prayer, whether you do it from your heart or whether you just chant the Maha Mantra as a lip-service and pray to Krishna. In either case, Krishna is pleased and listens to your prayers.

Look around the world. Stop and think for a moment. The Sun, moon, stars, planets, animals, plants, and all the beings of the world are created and are being maintained in meticulous synchrony and function with unflinching accuracy which would put even the greatest of the great mathematician and scientist to shame. The Lord has created and controls such a wonderful universe. Would such an Omnipotent Being('sarvashakta'/'sarvajnya') make a trifling mistake in granting your wish?

Never!

The reason He did not fulfill it in your case is because your shortsight prevents you from sensing misery if this prayer were granted.

Krishna is always your best friend and well-wisher. He looks beyond and makes sure that only the best of the best and the most benign is granted to you."

"I prayed to God sincerely. But the Lord did not answer my prayers. While, my friend prayed, and he got what he needed. Does my prayer lack faith? Why is Krishna partial?"

The Master replied,

"Any Prayer with the Mahamantra is a sincere prayer, whether you do it from your heart or whether you just chant the Maha Mantra as a lip-service and pray to Krishna. In either case, Krishna is pleased and listens to your prayers.

Look around the world. Stop and think for a moment. The Sun, moon, stars, planets, animals, plants, and all the beings of the world are created and are being maintained in meticulous synchrony and function with unflinching accuracy which would put even the greatest of the great mathematician and scientist to shame. The Lord has created and controls such a wonderful universe. Would such an Omnipotent Being('sarvashakta'/'sarvajnya') make a trifling mistake in granting your wish?

Never!

The reason He did not fulfill it in your case is because your shortsight prevents you from sensing misery if this prayer were granted. Krishna is always your best friend and well-wisher. He looks beyond and makes sure that only the best of the best and the most benign is granted to you."

[url="

http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);"]

Very well written

"Should we keep any specific desire in our minds while praying to God?"

The Master replied,

"

It depends on person to person. As many persons, so many needs. There is nothing wrong in desiring what you need. The scriptures classify devotees based on their prayers broadly into three categories:

- Aarthi : One who prays to God desiring removal of his sufferings.

- Arthaarthi : One who prays to God desiring comforts, wealth, fortune, and even heavens.

- Jignyasu:One who prays to God for spiritual elevation leading to ultimate liberation.

None of above are completely right or wrong.

• A 3 year old kid would only ask his parents for toys. At his age, he is right in demanding it.
  • A 18 year old young man would ask his parents for a motorbike or a car.At his age, he is right in demanding it.
  • A 26 year old adult demands his parents for wealth and property. At his age, he is right in demanding it.

Once he is mature enough to find that all these are fleeting, he would expect only their love.

Our prayers to God are also very similar. He knows our mental maturity than any one else in the Universe, and so He grants our prayers accordingly."

He knows our mental maturity than any one else in the Universe, and so He grants our prayers accordingly."

Mental maturity?

Krishna is looking for spiritual maturity, not mental maturity.

The mind is a material energy covering of the soul.

Krishna wants to see us get beyond the mind, not grow it into a nice mature accepting and rejecting machine.

Is it wrong for me to pray for healing?

No. You can ask anything of your own Father. The thing is not to get resentful if He doesn't fulfill your request. That is where faith comes in.

Eventually we will get to the stage where we pray only to love Him more. This is a progressive path and we all start from where we find ourselves at the moment. Me, I am mostly distressed and inquisitive. Someone else may want wealth. A few may be wise enough to just seek the truth. Whatever it is we should approach the Lord about it and leave the matter in His hands.

TRANSLATION BG 7.16

O best among the Bharatas, four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto Me—the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and he who is searching for knowledge of the Absolute.

PURPORT

Unlike the miscreants, these are adherents of the regulative principles of the scriptures, and they are called sukritinah, or those who obey the rules and regulations of scriptures, the moral and social laws, and are, more or less, devoted to the Supreme Lord. Out of these there are four classes of men—those who are sometimes distressed, those who are in need of money, those who are sometimes inquisitive, and those who are sometimes searching after knowledge of the Absolute Truth. These persons come to the Supreme Lord for devotional service under different conditions. These are not pure devotees, because they have some aspiration to fulfill in exchange for devotional service. Pure devotional service is without aspiration and without desire for material profit. The Bhakti-rasamrita-sindhu (1.1.11) defines pure devotion thus:

anyabhilashita-sunyam

jnana-karmady-anavritam

anukulyena krishnanu-

silanam bhaktir uttama

[Cc. Madhya 19.167]

"One should render transcendental loving service to the Supreme Lord Krishna favorably and without desire for material profit or gain through fruitive activities or philosophical speculation. That is called pure devotional service."

When these four kinds of persons come to the Supreme Lord for devotional service and are completely purified by the association of a pure devotee, they also become pure devotees. As far as the miscreants are concerned, for them devotional service is very difficult because their lives are selfish, irregular and without spiritual goals. But even some of them, by chance, when they come in contact with a pure devotee, also become pure devotees.

Those who are always busy with fruitive activities come to the Lord in material distress and at that time associate with pure devotees and become, in their distress, devotees of the Lord. Those who are simply frustrated also come sometimes to associate with the pure devotees and become inquisitive to know about God. Similarly, when the dry philosophers are frustrated in every field of knowledge, they sometimes want to learn of God, and they come to the Supreme Lord to render devotional service and thus transcend knowledge of the impersonal Brahman and the localized Paramatma and come to the personal conception of Godhead by the grace of the Supreme Lord or His pure devotee. On the whole, when the distressed, the inquisitive, the seekers of knowledge, and those who are in need of money are free from all material desires, and when they fully understand that material remuneration has nothing to do with spiritual improvement, they become pure devotees. As long as such a purified stage is not attained, devotees in transcendental service to the Lord are tainted with fruitive activities, the search for mundane knowledge, etc. So one has to transcend all this before one can come to the stage of pure devotional service.

TRANSLATION 7.17

Of these, the one who is in full knowledge and who is always engaged in pure devotional service is the best. For I am very dear to him, and he is dear to Me.

PURPORT

Free from all contaminations of material desires, the distressed, the inquisitive, the penniless and the seeker after supreme knowledge can all become pure devotees. But out of them, he who is in knowledge of the Absolute Truth and free from all material desires becomes a really pure devotee of the Lord. And of the four orders, the devotee who is in full knowledge and is at the same time engaged in devotional service is, the Lord says, the best. By searching after knowledge one realizes that his self is different from his material body, and when further advanced he comes to the knowledge of impersonal Brahman and Paramatma. When one is fully purified, he realizes that his constitutional position is to be the eternal servant of God. So by association with pure devotees the inquisitive, the distressed, the seeker after material amelioration and the man in knowledge all become themselves pure. But in the preparatory stage, the man who is in full knowledge of the Supreme Lord and is at the same time executing devotional service is very dear to the Lord. He who is situated in pure knowledge of the transcendence of the Supreme Personality of God is so protected in devotional service that material contamination cannot touch him.

TRANSLATION 7.18

All these devotees are undoubtedly magnanimous souls, but he who is situated in knowledge of Me I consider to be just like My own self. Being engaged in My transcendental service, he is sure to attain Me, the highest and most perfect goal.

PURPORT

It is not that devotees who are less complete in knowledge are not dear to the Lord. The Lord says that all are magnanimous because anyone who comes to the Lord for any purpose is called a mahatma, or great soul. The devotees who want some benefit out of devotional service are accepted by the Lord because there is an exchange of affection. Out of affection they ask the Lord for some material benefit, and when they get it they become so satisfied that they also advance in devotional service. But the devotee in full knowledge is considered to be very dear to the Lord because his only purpose is to serve the Supreme Lord with love and devotion. Such a devotee cannot live a second without contacting or serving the Supreme Lord. Similarly, the Supreme Lord is very fond of His devotee and cannot be separated from him.

In the Srimad-Bhagavatam (9.4.68), the Lord says:

sadhavo hridayam mahyam

sadhunam hridayam tv aham

mad-anyat te na jananti

naham tebhyo manag api

"The devotees are always in My heart, and I am always in the hearts of the devotees. The devotee does not know anything beyond Me, and I also cannot forget the devotee. There is a very intimate relationship between Me and the pure devotees. Pure devotees in full knowledge are never out of spiritual touch, and therefore they are very much dear to Me."

Mental maturity?

Krishna is looking for spiritual maturity, not mental maturity.

The mind is a material energy covering of the soul.

Krishna wants to see us get beyond the mind, not grow it into a nice mature accepting and rejecting machine.

Very true!

The beauty here is that it is Krishna Himself who gives us the maturity and also expects it from us!

In Tamil, there is a nice saying 'avan arulAle avan thaal vanangi'. which means, 'It is by His grace that we bow down to Him!'.

The easiest way to get his grace is by chanting the Mahamantra!

Please check out this Australia incident that shows the power of prayers with Mahamantra...

http://www.namadwaar.org/anubhava/?action=news&id=1185671999