IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mystic_seeker

Om Namah Shivaaya...

Rate this topic

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum. I suppose I should introduce myself a little bit before I ask my question about sanskrit. Although I was raised Roman Catholic, I have always felt drawn to Hinduism. Meditation was something that came naturally to me, as did belief in reincarnation. Over time, as I prayed more and more, I found my third eye (Ajna) pulsating. I have had other interesting experiences in my search for truth and have a special place in my heart for Hindu and Christian mystics such as Ramakrishna and St. John of the Cross.

I also feel a connection to sanskrit. Recently, I was listening to a Krishna Das CD and I felt a strong connection to the "Om Namah Shivaaya" mantra.

I consulted Krishna Das' website and this is the translation he offered:

Om Namah Shivaaya

Shivaaya namaha,

Shivaaya namah om

Shivaaya namaha, namaha Shivaaya

Shambhu Shankara namah Shivaaya,

Girijaa Shankara namah Shivaaya

Arunaachala Shiva namah Shivaaya

I bow to the Soul of all. I bow to my Self. I don't know who I am, so I bow to you, Shiva, my own true Self. I bow to my teachers who loved me with Love. Who took care of me when I couldn't take care of myself. I owe everything to them. How can I repay them? They have everything in the world. Only my love is mine to give, but in giving I find that it is their love flowing through me back to the world...I have nothing. I have everything. I want nothing. Only let it flow to you, my love... sing!

It seems pretty obvious to me that his translation is loose and fast since the mantra only has about 7 or 8 unique words and he has dozens.

So does anyone know what a better (or at least more literal) translation would be?

Any help is appreciated.

Peace.

om namah shivaya

"I bow to Lord Shiva (the auspicious one)." Om is a bija mantra (seed letter) for addressing the divine, and has no direct translation. Om represents God, the entire creation, and all living entities. It is the impersonal name of the formless aspect of God. Namah means to offer respects. Shivaya means "to Shiva", and the name Shiva means one who is auspicious.

There are a few other names of Lord shiva in your mantra as well, such as "Shankara", "Shambhu", "Girijaa Shankara", "Arunachala Shiva".

Thanks a lot for your help.

I didn't realize that Shiva had so many names.

I found a website that explained some of them in the mantra,

but I don't know if they are correct:

Shambhu: One Who Bestows Prosperity

Shankara: One Who Gives Happiness

Girijapati: Consort Of Girija**

**apparently Girija in the mantra is a shortened form of Girijapati

Arunaachala: appears to be Shiva manifested as a mountain

I think all of that is correct, right?