IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Eating Bhoga Regularly?

Rate this topic

Is it true that many devotees eating non-offered foodstuffs, especially in India?

What is your take on this? Do you sometimes eat bhoga?

Do you go to, let's say, a pizza-restaurant? What is your explanation?

Someone might experience, having to raise children on his own, that sometimes it is just not possible to offer everything properly.

So, it could be said that it comes to a personal commitment and circumstance - if you easily can and you don't, then you are at fault.

If you try hard and you sometimes fail due to impending circumstance, then what can you do?

Somebody might criticize somebody else for "offering with just" Sri Vishnu mantra. He in turn will be criticized by not eating maha-prasadam from a regular bona-fide temple, and this one in turn might be criticized by a South Indian brahmana for not doing the 100 thousand mantras, acamanas etc they do.

When Krishna says, they offer Me with love a flower, fruit, water etc, He is not demanding a particular ritual but the offering of love and in whatever manner isn't this up to according to the devotee's circumstance?

I'd never even consider eating bhoga. Even starving, I'd assume it was meant to be.

Wow, I guess I'm in big trouble.

There's an Ashram nearby. I could eat nothing but Krishna prasadam, but I don't.

Today, I had a burrito from Planet Fresh. It had pinto beans (no lard), brown rice and a whole wheat tortilla, but it was definitely not prepared by Krishna Bhaktas (as far as I know).

Of course, as I try to remind my kids: any nourishment we are receiving is coming by the grace of Guru and Krishna.

I am not so sure that one can "offer" everything he wants to eat and somehow magically avoid karma with a couple of mantras.

If one forgets Krishna and simply eats to satisfy his tongue, then I don't think that one can avoid karma by some official offering of his food.

To me, prasadam is what comes from the temple after being offered to the deities by brahminically pure priests after being cooked by brahminically pure cooks.

The practice going to the health food store and grabbing a snack and then saying "Sri Vishnu, Sri Vishnu, Sri Vishnu" and thinking that it has somehow magically become karma free is for the self deceivers.

If one remembers Krishna and realizes that everything is the mercy of Krishna, then that is as good as any ad-hoc offering by devotees on the fly. (my opinion) (means nothing but is my opinion)

If one feels unfit to offer something to Krishna, then it is just wrong to offer it anyway.

Hopefully, Krishna will appreciate the sentiments of one who feels unfit to offer something and appreciate his feelings.

We can go into a temple and offering a fruit or flower without then eating it or smelling it ourselves.

I think the best offerings are the ones that we don't then eat for our own enjoyment.

Personally, I'm not terribly worried about the karma.

Just like credit card debt, I'm in so deep, there's no point in worrying :)!! Of greater concern to me is the consciousness of the persons preparing the food, how it affects the food and how it will affect me!!

I am not so sure that one can "offer" everything he wants to eat and somehow magically avoid karma with a couple of mantras.

If one forgets Krishna and simply eats to satisfy his tongue, then I don't think that one can avoid karma by some official offering of his food.

To me, prasadam is what comes from the temple after being offered to the deities by brahminically pure priests after being cooked by brahminically pure cooks.

The practice going to the health food store and grabbing a snack and then saying "Sri Vishnu, Sri Vishnu, Sri Vishnu" and thinking that it has somehow magically become karma free is for the self deceivers.

If one remembers Krishna and realizes that everything is the mercy of Krishna, then that is as good as any ad-hoc offering by devotees on the fly. (my opinion) (means nothing but is my opinion)

If one feels unfit to offer something to Krishna, then it is just wrong to offer it anyway.

Hopefully, Krishna will appreciate the sentiments of one who feels unfit to offer something and appreciate his feelings.

We can go into a temple and offering a fruit or flower without then eating it or smelling it ourselves.

I think the best offerings are the ones that we don't then eat for our own enjoyment.

Did it have onions in it?

Wow, I guess I'm in big trouble.

There's an Ashram nearby. I could eat nothing but Krishna prasadam, but I don't.

Today, I had a burrito from Planet Fresh. It had pinto beans (no lard), brown rice and a whole wheat tortilla, but it was definitely not prepared by Krishna Bhaktas (as far as I know).

Of course, as I try to remind my kids: any nourishment we are receiving is coming by the grace of Guru and Krishna.

You better believe it!! Nice, juicy, mode-of-passion-and-ignorance onions!!!

I'm definitely not Brahmana material at this point!

I have never seen a burrito with onions on it.

Maybe the taco sauce, but not the burrito.:D

I prefer to make my burritos and tostadas at home without the onions.

Hing is way better than onions anyway.

Do you sometimes eat bhoga?

Some of us eat bhoga, some of us fault-find the Vaishnavas regularly.

some of us do both.

I guess we all have plenty to work on before we can see that transcendental TV in the heart.

I think equally and maybe more importantly is what we do with the energy that is produced by the foodstuff.

Let's not think that the bhoga becomes spiritual on the strength of some ritual we do before eatting it. It is the love Krsna accepts and if we "offer" without love is it really offered?

Is it really offered when I know I am really preparing it for myself and then perform the ritual as something I have to do before eatting? I don't think so.

Maybe good practice though but even practice should be done mindfully.

I'm a Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu man when I am at my best. Just on the platform of acknowledging my dependance on Krsna. Offering with love is only something I read about at this time.

It may be a personal question, but has anyone here broken any of the 4 regulative principles after initiation?

Also, onions and garlic consumption isn't a violation of the 4 regs, IMO. Because it says 'no meat eating' and onions/lic are certainly not meat! So Murali Mohan pr, there's hope yet but make sure the rice you eat in mexican restaurants doesn't contain animal broth :)

Some of us eat bhoga, some of us fault-find the Vaishnavas regularly.

some of us do both.

Good points, and there may in fact be a correlation between the two. I believe that there is a pastime from the Mahabharata where Lord Krsna visited the palace of Duryhodhana and was offered a grand feast. But Krsna refused that offering and instead accepted some rice from the wife of Vidura. Simply offering bhoga to Krsna, however opulent and "pukka" is no guarantee that the Lord will accept. He refused the offerings from those who were offenders to His devotees and accepted a humble offering from those who were actually His true devotees. He could have accepted both offerings, being that His transcendental belly is unlimited. But He only accepted the one, for it was offered with pure love and devotion.

It may be a personal question, but has anyone here broken any of the 4 regulative principles after initiation?

Chanakya Pandit advised that one should not reveal his own faults.

So, taking the advice of the good Pandit I won't narrate my own defects on the forum.

We really shouldn't be concered about the habits of others anyway.

Our only concern should be how we conduct ourselves.

If someone does air their dirty laundry on the forum it would just be used as a feeding frenzy for the holier-than-though bigots that haunt the forum.

If I want to confess I will go to the Catholic church for that.:D

I tend to be *too* forthcoming in these regards. However, Gauravani-ji gives me a moment to pause and reflect.

I certainly don't wish to bring any dishonor to Srila Gurudev, who is so merciful to even fallen souls such as myself, and I wouldn't want anybody to follow my fallen example.

I've already admitted on these forums, though, to breaking 3 of the 4 regulative principles after Hari Nama initiation (though I had a run of six good months after being given the Holy Name and beads). As I've mentioned elsewhere, currently I'm hoping to rid myself of some long-standing bad habits in hopes of receiving Gayatri Mantra when Gurudev comes to visit California.

I'm certainly not proud of my faults, and, yet, I don't want to dwell on them and beat myself up. I have full faith that, if I strive to make some progress in sadhana, by the mercy of Guru and Gauranga, my bad habits will gradually lose their hold on me.

Chankya Pandit advised that one should not reveal his own faults.

So, taking the advice of the good Pandit I won't narrate my own defects on the forum.

We really shouldn't be concered about the habits of others anyway.

Our only concern should be how we conduct ourselves.

If someone does air their dirty laundry on the forum it would just be used as a feeding frenzy for the holier-than-though bigots that haunt the forum.

If I want to confess I will go to the Catholic church for that.:D

Ok prabhu, then please continue eating out but just don't tell anyone :):)

I tend to be *too* forthcoming in these regards. However, Gauravani-ji gives me a moment to pause and reflect.

I certainly don't wish to bring any dishonor to Srila Gurudev, who is so merciful to even fallen souls such as myself, and I wouldn't want anybody to follow my fallen example.

I've already admitted on these forums, though, to breaking 3 of the 4 regulative principles after Hari Nama initiation (though I had a run of six good months after being given the Holy Name and beads). As I've mentioned elsewhere, currently I'm hoping to rid myself of some long-standing bad habits in hopes of receiving Gayatri Mantra when Gurudev comes to visit California.

I'm certainly not proud of my faults, and, yet, I don't want to dwell on them and beat myself up. I have full faith that, if I strive to make some progress in sadhana, by the mercy of Guru and Gauranga, my bad habits will gradually lose their hold on me.

Tell me about it!

I envy all those devotees that live close to Govinda restaurants. I received a call from a devotee buddy of mine a few weeks ago. He called to tell me he was on his way to Govinda's with his family to enjoy their Mexican special! Needless to say, I burned with envy because all I can do is drive by the local 'Chipotle' helplessly :)

Ah, if only each and every person could be swept up in Mahaprabhu's wave of Divine Love!! Then all restaurants would serve only food in the mode of goodness!

:)

There's a cafeteria right next to the office in which I work.

If I don't bring lunch with me (which I ought to do more often) or go out to lunch (which I don't do frequently), I will usually get a plate of salad from the salad bar at the cafeteria.

What bothers me is that there is a container of chicken in amongst the vegetables. Very likely, some of the utensils end up getting shared between the chicken and the veges. Gross!! I mentioned this to the manager once, but did not get a very sympathetic reply.

Today, I noticed "split pea soup" on the menu. I asked the person who made it if it had a vegetarian base. "Yes, it's vegetarian" he replied. "No ham in it?" I asked since the split pea soup is often billed as "split pea soup w/ ham". "Yeah, there's a little ham it it" came the reply.

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!! I guess there's no one to blame but myself, though.

Don't trust any of these commercial food joints. I remember asking for a strict vegetarian vegetable soup in a chinese resteraunt. The owner assured me they could accomodate me. When he brought the soup I noticed timy pieces of chicken floating in the bowl and complained. He apologized saying they had tried to pick all the big pieces out. :puke:

I avoid all resteraunts.