IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Guest posting is disabled

Rate this topic

Can we also get moderators to contact posters when their posts are deleted as well ? There have been several complaints about posts just vanishing without cause or explination. It is one thing to moderate if a post violates common sense rules like threats and vulgarity, however posts that offer an opinion on a subject that disappear for no reason makes discussions a bit frusterating.

Unfortunately the moderators won't have enough time for contacting the authors for every single post that is removed. There are on average 30 or 40 posts each day removed mostly due to people fighting back and forth. All of the moderators work at full time jobs and do this moderation in their free time, so they won't have time to write 30 or 40 letters every single day explaining why a post was removed.

All posts are only removed from public view, but they are still accessible. So if you urgently need a copy of one of your removed posts, you can send a PM to Admin5 and one of the moderators will be able to send you a copy of the message.

Hopefully removing guest posters will reduce a lot of the need for moderation. If moderation becomes too much of a problem and our volunteer moderators are no longer willing to do this service, then the alternative will be to make the forums read only and close down further discussions.

I actually sent you specifically a PM regarding a question that I had about a post being moved. This was back in May and I still haven't heard a response.

Edit: Also, I am unable to send any more PM's due to my post count being 19. How would we go about getting in touch with an admin if we need to, but don't have 30 posts? Thanks for your time!

I actually sent you specifically a PM regarding a question that I had about a post being moved. This was back in May and I still haven't heard a response.

Send them to Admin5 and a moderator will see it. Jndas often is not online or even has internet access for periods of time.

Just made an edit a moment ago. It seems you were posting while I was editing. :)

Also, I am unable to send any more PM's due to my post count being 19. How would we go about getting in touch with an admin if we need to, but don't have 30 posts? Thanks for your time!

It is of minor inconvenience. Sometimes I post as "guest (mahak)", but a very easy change for improvement of quality of posts, folks taking credit (or blame) for their posts, etc.

Audarya fellowship is awesome. hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

the "guest" function is just a sniper's gimmick.

If they don't want to join and make a user account then they shouldn't be here.

I never could figure out why people wanted to post as a "guest".

"guest" is just a "ghost" as far as I am concerned.

I think Admin made the right decision.

A friend of mine has a post in ISKCON. He went to see Srila Sridhar Maharaja many times in the early and mid-eighties. He usually posts as an anonymous guest because if he posts as his real identity he cannot quote Sridhar Maharaja without getting serious flack.

A friend of mine has a post in ISKCON. He went to see Srila Sridhar Maharaja many times in the early and mid-eighties. He usually posts as an anonymous guest because if he posts as his real identity he cannot quote Sridhar Maharaja without getting serious flack.

Well, my birth name was not theist or even Alfred E. Neuman. I don't expect you were named Beggar. So I see no problem for your friend in signing up.

Well, my birth name was not theist or even Alfred E. Neuman. I don't expect you were named Beggar. So I see no problem for your friend in signing up.

True.

However, I believe an e-mail address is required to register. So, if one truly values their anonymity, one would need to have an e-mail address like "beggar@gmail.com" or similar, and not "fred.jones@gmail.com".

If one's legal name (or initiated name) is in the e-mail address used to register, one will not be anonymous to the admins. Also, isn't there an option as to whether one's e-mail address is displayed to other members?

While I can sympathize with the plight of the administrators, I'll miss the more "Wild West" mood provided by allowing guest postings.

As Theist pointed out, your friend can register with any user name. It need not be his real name.

Now, let us come to email id. There is option to hide email id from other members but, of course, not from admin. I personally do not see any reason to be anonymous from admin. But your friend may have a reason, which I am not aware of. If so, let him create a new email id.