IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
IBelieveInChrishna

Was Yasoda's Pregnancy a Result of Vishnu's Plan?

Rate this topic

I'm doing a research project comparing Krishna and Christ. While looking through some books on the subject I came across this comment which confused me a little:

For some time Nanda was unaware that Krishna was but a foster-child and not his own son after the flesh; so too, perhaps, Joseph who looked after the Child Jesus.

What confused me was that this comment likens Nanda to Joseph (Jesus' "father"), when it seemed to me that Vasudeva would be a more obvious comparison. I've come to the conclusion that the person who wrote this passage sees Nanda and Yasoda moreso Krishna's parents than Vasudeva and Devaki though, so I have this question:

Was Yasoda pregnant before Vishnu set his plan to be incarnated in motion, making Yasoda somewhat of "virgin mother" to Krishna, or was Yasoda's pregnancy something that occured beforehand? In other words, was the baby conceived by Yasoda that was switched with Krishna of divine conception?

I'm doing a research project comparing Krishna and Christ. While looking through some books on the subject I came across this comment which confused me a little:

For some time Nanda was unaware that Krishna was but a foster-child and not his own son after the flesh; so too, perhaps, Joseph who looked after the Child Jesus.

What confused me was that this comment likens Nanda to Joseph (Jesus' "father"), when it seemed to me that Vasudeva would be a more obvious comparison. I've come to the conclusion that the person who wrote this passage sees Nanda and Yasoda moreso Krishna's parents than Vasudeva and Devaki though, so I have this question:

Was Yasoda pregnant before Vishnu set his plan to be incarnated in motion, making Yasoda somewhat of "virgin mother" to Krishna, or was Yasoda's pregnancy something that occured beforehand? In other words, was the baby conceived by Yasoda that was switched with Krishna of divine conception?

Krishna and Jesus are two different entities, you cannot compare them, Krishna is God but jesus is just a messanger of god, I think you understand the basic diffrence

Gaura Govinda Maharaja explains: Both Yashoda and Devaki gave birth to Krishna at the same time. Yashoda also gave birth to a baby girl. When Vasudeva came to take the baby girl and give Krishna to Yashoda, Yashoda's Krishna and Devaki's Krishna merged together. So both Nanda and Vasudeva are fathers of the Supreme Lord.

Detailed secrets...:)

Haribol!

If you read the Bhagavad Purana then you will know that Yashoda's pregnancy was definitely part of the Lord's plan, as everything is part of the Lord's plan. The Lord planned to descend as Devki's son but then go to Yashoda with everone thinking that he was her son in truth. He thus instructed Yog Maya to incarnate as Yashoda's daughter so that she would have a pregnancy and people would assume that he was her son. Yog Maya thus entered Yashoda's body to be her daughter at the same time the Lord entered Devki's body to be her son. The pregnancies were simultaneous and the births were also simultaneous.

Yashoda also had visions of Yog Maya during her pregnancy and so understood that her child would be a divine birth.

Jai

In Christianity, Jesus was born to Mary and said to be prophecied. At least, that is what Christians claim. I have yet to come across any prophecy stating that a virgin was going to be pregnant with Jesus.

In Mahabratha epic, it already prophecied that union of Yasodha and her husband will produce a son who will be responsible for his uncle's death. To prevent this birth, Kamsa went and kill off all the newborns of his own sister, and chain them apart to prevent any more future births.

Maha Vishnu fixed that by making Sri Krishna born without sexual intercourse and then transfer the child to Yasodha. So, same prophecy but with a slight modification here and there.

Gaura Govinda Maharaja explains: Both Yashoda and Devaki gave birth to Krishna at the same time. Yashoda also gave birth to a baby girl. When Vasudeva came to take the baby girl and give Krishna to Yashoda, Yashoda's Krishna and Devaki's Krishna merged together. So both Nanda and Vasudeva are fathers of the Supreme Lord.

Detailed secrets...:)

I think that makes ALOT of sense... b/c it says that Maya was incarnated in Mother Jasoda's womb, but Maya is a facet/power of the Lord, so I've always thought that the Lord incarnated in the two forms at once. Another thought I (once) had (before reading this) was that Devaki just fled the prison immediately after the birth and did a witness-protection style name/location change... any thoughts on those two views? I guess the second one was rationalizing so that poor Mother Devaki didn't have to lose Her precious Krishna!

Jaya Radha-Madhava :D

If I understand the question right, I've always thought that both of them conceived without sexual union, in perfect chastity... Mother Devaki and Mother Jasoda both conceived Divinely and in perfect purity (similar to Mary's conception of Jesus and Maya Devi's conception of Buddha).

I think that makes ALOT of sense... b/c it says that Maya was incarnated in Mother Jasoda's womb, but Maya is a facet/power of the Lord, so I've always thought that the Lord incarnated in the two forms at once. Another thought I (once) had (before reading this) was that Devaki just fled the prison immediately after the birth and did a witness-protection style name/location change... any thoughts on those two views? I guess the second one was rationalizing so that poor Mother Devaki didn't have to lose Her precious Krishna!

Jaya Radha-Madhava :D

Haribol, is there any quote that you can give that explains your second thought? I don't think there is any reference that Devaki fled the prison.

Jai Sri Krishna!

No, I don't believe I ever did read a passage regarding that... speculation I guess? I just can't stand the thought of Mother Devaki losing Lord Krishna after such sorrow and hardship! But, no... sadly I don't believe that Devaki left the prison until Kansa's death. But, your solution makes so much sense. Maybe Jasoda is a kaya-vyuha of Devaki? Just like the Gopikas being kaya-vyuhas of Srimati Radharani? That way Devaki could express Her mother's love for Krishna through Jasoda Ma's person? But, there I go again speculating!

Jaya Radha-Jasodanandana! :D

Jai Sri Krishna!

No, I don't believe I ever did read a passage regarding that... speculation I guess? I just can't stand the thought of Mother Devaki losing Lord Krishna after such sorrow and hardship! But, no... sadly I don't believe that Devaki left the prison until Kansa's death. But, your solution makes so much sense. Maybe Jasoda is a kaya-vyuha of Devaki? Just like the Gopikas being kaya-vyuhas of Srimati Radharani? That way Devaki could express Her mother's love for Krishna through Jasoda Ma's person? But, there I go again speculating!

Jaya Radha-Jasodanandana! :D

The only difference between Yashoda and and Devaki is that Devaki has some awe and reverence in her motherly love. When Krishna and Balaram came to free Vasudeva and Devaki they were afraid to recieve their respects, whereas Nanda and Yashoda would be happy to recieve their respects. You have seen the picture of Krishna carrying Nanda's sandals on the head, they never seemed to mind.:)

Radhe Radhe, Indulekha Dasi! :D

Could you tell me of any good books you have read that elaborate on the childhood lilas of Sri Krishna? Thanks in advance!

btw, I love your Saraswati Maa avatar... I have a little holy card that I carry around with me EVERYWHERE that looks like that!

Radhe Radhe, Indulekha Dasi! :D

Could you tell me of any good books you have read that elaborate on the childhood lilas of Sri Krishna? Thanks in advance!

btw, I love your Saraswati Maa avatar... I have a little holy card that I carry around with me EVERYWHERE that looks like that!

Krishna book is the most authoritative, but still sweet. I love it.

And thanks for your compliment, I appreciate it very much.

Suddha Saraswati is the wife of Lord Vishnu and therefore is very much worthy of our respects. Jai! And Radhe Radhe to you, too!

Sorry, I took the Saraswati avatar away. I liked it a lot too, but I really wanted a picture of Indulekha devi of Vrindavan. So I picked this. I think this picture is equally good as the Saraswati one. Maybe I will alternate between the two!

Here is some info on Indulekha devi: http://www.vrindavan.de/indulekha.htm.

Radhe Radhe, IndulekhaDasi :D!

I think it's so cute that She's a snake charmer! xD I love reading about the Gopikas! They're all so cute and sweet, and Indulekha Devi is absolutely beautiful! I think it's wonderful that you have a picture of Her to put up! I'm sure Mother Saraswati doesn't mind! BTW, thanks for the info on Saraswati being Lord Vishnu's consort, I never knew that! Did you ever read about the joint-temple of Saraswati and Brahma? I guess that when Brahma kinda went under in importance, and Saraswati rose to prominence, the priests of Saraswati formed their own temple (hundreds of years ago). Well, just recently, the priests of Lord Brahma sued the temple of Saraswati saying that they should have to pay them b/c Saraswati and Brahma got divorced and She should have to pay Him spousal support xD I couldn't believe that they actually took that to court! Thankfully, they didn't win! I forget where I read it, but I think that story is just absolutely hilarious!

Radhe Radhe, IndulekhaDasi :D!

I think it's so cute that She's a snake charmer! xD I love reading about the Gopikas! They're all so cute and sweet, and Indulekha Devi is absolutely beautiful! I think it's wonderful that you have a picture of Her to put up! I'm sure Mother Saraswati doesn't mind! BTW, thanks for the info on Saraswati being Lord Vishnu's consort, I never knew that! Did you ever read about the joint-temple of Saraswati and Brahma? I guess that when Brahma kinda went under in importance, and Saraswati rose to prominence, the priests of Saraswati formed their own temple (hundreds of years ago). Well, just recently, the priests of Lord Brahma sued the temple of Saraswati saying that they should have to pay them b/c Saraswati and Brahma got divorced and She should have to pay Him spousal support xD I couldn't believe that they actually took that to court! Thankfully, they didn't win! I forget where I read it, but I think that story is just absolutely hilarious!

That is funny.

Suddha Saraswati is the wife of Vishnu but she has an expansion also called Saraswati who is Brahma's wife.

That is funny.

Suddha Saraswati is the wife of Vishnu but she has an expansion also called Saraswati who is Brahma's wife.

You learn so much on here! I'm currently reading a book about the Hindu Goddesses and the symbolism of Their different Lilas. It focuses a lot on Saraswati Maa and has a whole chapter devoted to Mother Radha! :D