IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
radhagovind

Was Narasimha avatar slain by Virbhadra?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

virbhadra is a manifestation from shiva. In the linga purana, it says that after narsimha avatar killed hiranyakashyapu, he was more enraged and decided to destroy the universe. paniced, everyone went to shiva and shiva manifested virbhadra. virbhadra confronts narsimha and makes him understand but narsimha gets enraged and attacks virbhadra. as a result, virbhadra cuts off narasimha's head and kills him. in the purana, it says though that it only killed the avatar, and not vishnu himself. Do you think this really happened, that shiv manifestation killed vishnu avatar? ( i don't know because avatar is when god himself descends to do some task, this would mean vishnu himself descended as narasimha and that narsimha got slain.)

Pranam!

This thread has been lead to a little confusion about Virbhadra to and against opinions etc. This is not the right story at all!! Virbhadra is a gana of Shiva!! highly powerful whom Lord Shiva manifested before. But he is not considered Shiva's incarnation who is related to anihilating the Shri Narsimha form.

Lord Shiva's incarnation that pacified and beheaded the Shri Narsimha avatara was Sharbhesha or Sharabh.

Please read:

SHIVA TAKES INCARNATION AS SHARABH

While describing about the incarnation of Sharabh Sutji told sages-

“When Vishnuji took his incarnation of Nrisimha to kill the demon king –Hiranyakashipu, his anger could not be subdued even after the killing of Hiranyakashipu. His anger had frightened all the three worlds. Lord Brahma sent Prahalada to Nrisimha so that his anger gets cool down. Prahalada prayed to Nrisimha. Nrisimha took him in his embrace but still his anger was not subdued.”

“All the deities went to lord Shiva and requested to him to cool down Vishnu's anger. Lord Shiva then sent Bhairav and Veerbhadra to Nrisimha. When Veerbhadra politely requested Nrisimha to cool down, he (Nrisimha) tried to pounce on him (Veerbhadra). Right then Lord Shiva appeared in his most devastating form. He was looking frightening in his giant form and with thousands of hand. His appearance was resembling a huge cannibal bird. Lord Shiva injured Nrisimha with his giant wings and after carrying Lord Vishnu in his giant wings and after carrying lord Vishnu in his arms he flew in the sky. Lord Vishnu was so frightened that he became unconscious.”

“After regarding his consciousness Lord Nrisimha appeared in his form of Lord Vishnu and eulogized Shiva, which made lord Shiva very pleased. Lord Shiva wore the head of Nrisimha with the garland of skull in his neck. The remaining body was carried by Veerbhadra and abandoned at a mountain.”

So you can see that Veerbhadra assisted the Lord's Sharbhesha avatara.

And this also does not say that he actually killed Vishnu. This was a leela of Lord Shiva to annihilate the Narsimha avatara and save the world from the anger. In an another place, Lord Shiva pacifies Goddess Kali's anger and rage that no body else was able to after she had killed the immensely powerful demons raktabeej, chand mund and others!! Lord Shiva layed under her feet to pacify her anger.

All glories to the Maheshwara Lord Shiva!!!

All glories to the Sharbhesha avatara! All glories to Lord Shri Narsimha avatara!! All glories to Shri Shri Radhe krsna!! All glories to Shri gaura Nitai!!!

love,

Y.K.

The previous story posted above can never be accepted as authoritative as it makes no reference as to it's source or who translated the original into English.

Maybe in the Shaiva community anybody can tell a story without validating it in authentic texts.

In the Gaudiya community everyone must support their claims with shastric references, which are obviously missing in the above post on the supposed killing of Nrsimhadeva Avatar.

Undocumented story telling has no validity or credibility in establishing conclusions of Vedic theology.

It certainly has no substantial credibility in establishing any merit to any claims made by different sects and cults of Hinduism.

Guest guest

The previous story posted above can never be accepted as authoritative as it makes no reference as to it's source or who translated the original into English.

Maybe in the Shaiva community anybody can tell a story without validating it in authentic texts.

In the Gaudiya community everyone must support their claims with shastric references, which are obviously missing in the above post on the supposed killing of Nrsimhadeva Avatar.

Undocumented story telling has no validity or credibility in establishing conclusions of Vedic theology.

It certainly has no substantial credibility in establishing any merit to any claims made by different sects and cults of Hinduism.

Dear Guruvani,

You are under no pressure to accept this version at all.

Please provide me Vedic reference to Shri Radha, then i will start talking to you! Until then, you are not able to provoke much heat. Thanks.

Yogkriya.

Dear Guruvani,

Please provide me Vedic reference to Shri Radha, then i will start talking to you! Until then, you are not able to provoke much heat. Thanks.

Yogkriya.

You are obviously unfit to understand or discuss Srimati Radharani or understand suddha-shakti, and I am as well unwilling to make her an object of debate on this public forum.

Suffice it is to say that that every Shaiva story told in so-called Shaiva sects are not authenticated or validated with proper shastric reference.

There are plenty of pseudo-Shaivas running around India and the rest of the world as well.

Every tall tale that some so-called Shaiva pops in and spouts off cannot be accepted as authentic.

There are genuine Shaivites and there are bogus Shaivites, just as there are genuine Vaishnavas and bogus Vaishnavas.

Don't get me wrong.

I don't claim to be anything.

I am just a bewildered jivatma caught in the clutches of Mayadevi.

I am not a religious person.

I just enjoy reading Puranic texts.

Probably, I am an asura.

That is my own best calculation.

Dear Guruvani,

Yogkriya.

Lord Shiva explains in Bhagavat Purana that even Lord Krishna is not to be known.

Lord Krishna is a hidden treasure of the Vedas that only his devotees can find.

Shaivas ignore the most prevalent God of the Puranas and bury their head in the sand of a couple of Tamasic Puranas and think they know everything.

An unbiased study of the Puranic conclusions clearly establishes Lord Vishnu as the Supreme Godhead and the origin of Siva-tattva.

Guest guest

Lord Shiva explains in Bhagavat Purana that even Lord Krishna is not to be known.

Shaivas ignore the most prevalent God of the Puranas and bury their head in the sand of a couple of Tamasic Puranas and think they know everything.

An unbiased study of the Puranic conclusions clearly establishes Lord Vishnu as the Supreme Godhead and the origin of Siva-tattva.

This is an unseccessful attack on the Shaivas Guruvani, through which you are trying to bring both the parties to Shaivas against Vaishnavas or Shiva lower than Vishnu etc. fultile debate.

I can't help but agree with essence of your first statement that Lord Krsna is not easy to find. Otherwise you would have found him. And in order to find him, you have to start getting closer to him by being his devotee. This is true. But the light that you are trying to shed on the topic that only us devotees can find krsna and all you guys have burried your heads in sand of "tamsic" purans like Shiva Purana etc. is laughable.

I would refrain from commenting on the Shiv mahapurana in detail at this point. And against the popular preaching of a few so called followers of Gaudiyas or HKs (including your gracious self), of anything associated with Lord Shiva as "tamsic" showing your ignorance about the tattvas, I would say NO. I do not accept this version of tamsic purana either. Because Lord Shiva stands for light and knowledge and not darkness and ignorance. He is the Maheswara. And the Maha Ishwara is certaibnely not in "ignorance". If you believe and preach the opposite, then you only display your very own ignorance. But as you rightly said, Lord Shri Krsna is not to be known by ordinary person, the same holds true for Shri Maheswara Shiva.

What can we know? Bounded by the desires of our five untrained senses and maya? We think we have now read ten volumes of Bhagwatam and twelve chapters of Gita, and we have become wise sages. Now we don't have to even read remaining chapters of Gita / Bhagwatam, Shiva Purana, or life itself. What to talk about understanding self, higher self and Maheswara/Krsna?

You talked about unbiased study. Are you unbiased? Its easy to tell, isn't it?

Besides, what's the use of debating who's higher over whom? This is a narrow sectarian agenda. Important Question of all is - whether YOU can reach any of the two??? If you are really walking that path, you will be busy walking, and not talking!!!

love,

Yogkriya

Guest guest

If you believe only Vedas and won't accept anything besides, you gotta provide Shastra Praman on Shri Radhe. I just heard vociferations from you against tamasik purans etc, but no Vedic evidence of Shri Radhe. So according to this, we can now safely state that there was no such personality? :)

If you believe only Vedas and won't accept anything besides, you gotta provide Shastra Praman on Shri Radhe. I just heard vociferations from you against tamasik purans etc, but no Vedic evidence of Shri Radhe. So according to this, we can now safely state that there was no such personality? :)

It's quite obvious you are ignorant of the supplementary Vedic literature, especially Vyasadeva's own commentary on Vedanta-sutra the Bhagavat Purana and how it was spoken the the incarnation of Siva - Sukadeva Goswami.

You are obviously ignorant of Sri Caitanya Avatar, his teachings, the Yuga Dharma, Vishnu-tattva, Siva-tattva and the Vaishnava siddhanta.

So, it would be fruitless and useless to try and discuss spiritual topics with anyone who is so ignorant of all the important subjects that you would need to be familiar with in order to have any sort of intelligible conversation on the purpose of the Vedas and the message of the Vedas.

If you weren't so ignorant of the Dharma shastras you would know which Purana has been endorsed by Vyasadeva himself as the essence of Vedic knowledge and the fruit of the Vedic desire tree.

I can't discuss spiritual topics with you because your knowledge base is incomplete and you have only a small sectarian view of the Sanatan Dharma.

You don't have any proper understanding about Vaikuntha, Viraja, Brahmanda etc etc., so really it's impossible to have any kind of intelligent conversation with you.

Despite your disqualification for understanding due to your insufficient knoweldge of sruti, smrti and Purana, I will try to help you.

The glory of Radha is mentioned in the Rg Veda. 'Radhaya madhavo devo madhavenaiva radhika/ vibhrajante janesu.' 'Among all persons, it is Radha in whose company Lord Madhava is especially glorious, as She is especially glorious in His.'

Radha

- meaning of the name: aradhyati krsnah anaya iti radha - one who devoutly worships is Radha

- sruti references: Radha is mentioned in Sama Veda and Atharva Veda. Sama Veda contains the etymological derivation of the word 'Radha': radha sabdasya vyutpattih samaveda. Nirupita is the word for Radha in Sama Veda. The word Raadhaa is a combination of four root letters: Ra, aa, Dha, aa, each having its own significance.

Ra: rephohi koti janmagham karma bhogam subhasubham (dispels the sins of a million births and liberates one from the consequences of evil deeds)

AA: akara garbha basanca, mrtyunca rogam ucchrudet (emancipates one from the cycle of birth and death and terminates diseases and death)

Dha: dhakara ayusahan ucchrudet (prevents loss of longevity)

AA: akaro bhava bhandhanah ucchrudet (frees one from the earthly bondage)

Chandogya Upanisad (of Sama Veda) 8.13.1 states: 'syamac chavalam prapadye, savalac chyamam prapadye, syamac.' 'By the help of black (syama), we shall be introduced to the service of white (savala); by the help of white (savala), we shall be introduced to the service of black (syama).' Here black indicates Krsna and white indicates the fair complected Radha.

- smriti and tantra references: SB 10.30.28 - anayaradhitah, "by her the Lord is worshiped"; Brahma-vaivarta, Garuda, Bhavisya, Brahmanda, Brahma-vaivarta, Mahabhagavata (ch. 49), Naradiya, Padma (Adi/Svarga khanda, ch. 7, Patala khanda 2.69-99), Varaha, Vayu (ch. 104), Harivamsa, Narada Pancaratra, Gita Govinda...)

'Radha' has not been mentioned in Mahabharata or even Harivamsa Purana but there is a mention of her name in Uttara and Patala Khanda of Padma Purana and in tantric treatise Pancatantra Samhita. 'Radha', however, finds a detailed analysis in Brahmavaivarta Purana, Part II, Sri Krsnajanma Khanda ('the Krsna birth episode'):

krsnasyardhanga sambhuta nathasya sadrsi sati

goloka vasina sreyam atra krsnajna

adhuna ajoni sambhava devi mula prakrti isvari

"The best of Goloka's residents appeared here by Krsna's command. She (Radha) is born of no mother and She (Radha) who is the fundamental Prakrti (the female energy) is a goddess and emerged from the better half of Krsna's being and molded after His image."

sri krsnasya tejasardhena sa ca murtimati sati

eka murtihi dvidha bhuva bhedo vedanirupita

"Radha embodies half the divine effulgence of Sri Krsna. They are both one body divided into two beings - such is the irrefutable decree of the Veda."

iyam stri sa puman kimva sa va kanta puman ayam

dvirupe tejas tulye rupenanca gunena ca

parakramenaca budhya va, jnanen sampadapica

purate gamane naiva kintu sa vayasadhika...

"In Their looks, in Their radiance, in Their attributes, in Their prowess, in Their wisdom, in Their intelligence and in Their riches, They are so identical to each other that it is difficult to tell Radha from Krsna or Krsna from Radha and that She precedes Krsna and is the older of the two."

Ahirbudhnya Samhita explains that in order to create the universe the Supreme God divided himself as sakti and saktiman. Thus the Supreme Being embodied Himself as Purusa (male energy) and Prakrti (female energy).

Skanda Purana corroborates the fact that Radhika is a part of the Supreme Soul:

atmatu radhika tasya taiva ramanat asau

"Radhika is part of thy Supreme Soul (atma) and You dally with her (atma saha ramati iti atmarama). He, therefore, is called Atmarama."

Radha, a part and parcel of the same Supreme Soul, is the 'principle of ecstasy'. She is not anybody else's wife, dallying with Krsna in an extramarital situation. She is His Atma.

Ekanath Das: The Urdhvamnaya-tantra, also known as Urdhvamnaya-maha-tantra, differs from the Urdhvamnaya-samhita. Reference to the Urdhvamnaya-tantra is supposedly made in the Sadhana-dipika, a book by Narayana-bhatta. I could not find these references. The Urdhvamnayana-tantra is said to deal with various mantras unto Srimati Radharani, astaksara-vidhi (esoteric explanations of the Gopala-mantra) and Gopesvari-vidhana (procedure of initiation into Radha-mantra). It is said that parts of the work are scattered here and there. There doesn't seem to be a complete manuscript.

- appearance: Puranas give different versions about Her birth, according to different kalpas.

1. She was born in Gokula as a daughter of Vrsabhanu and Kalavati. (Brahmavaivarta Purana 2.49.35-42, Narada Purana 2.81, Raghunatha dasa Gosvami's Vraja-vilasa-stava)

2. When King Vrsabhanu was preparing the ground to conduct a yajna, he found Her in the earth, as Bhumi-kanya ("earth-girl", similarly to Sitadevi who was found in the wooden box buried in the earth, similar to black Madonnas). (Padma Purana, Brahma Purana 7)

3. She was born from the left side of Krsna. (Brahmavaivarta Purana)

4. At Krsna's birth Visnu asked His attendants to be born on earth. Radha took Her birth in Gokula under the star Jyestha in the morning of Suklastami day in Bhadrapada month. (Mahabharata Adi Parva 11)

In another kalpa she is found in Yamuna river on a golden lotus by Maharaja Vrsabhanu.

- marriage (CC Adi 10.85p. - Jiva G., Brahmanda Purana, Canto 15 - Sri Krsnajanma khanda)

- separated from Krsna for 100 years (during His Dvaraka stay) due to Sridama's curse (Brahma-vaivarta Purana):

6.243 O beautiful one, I will go to Mathura and because of Sridama's curse, We will be separated.

6.252 Beloved, during the hundred years We are separated We will meet in Our dreams again and again.

6.253 In My Narayana form I will go to Dvaraka for those hundred years. In that way I will enjoy My pastimes there.

- as "Haraa": (Narada-pancaratra 5.5.59) "sri-haraa" listed as one of the names of Srimati Radharani. This is actually a verse from the famous Radha-sahasra-nama-stotra (verse 59):

sri-rupa sri-hara sri-da

sri-kama sri-svarupini

sridamananda-datri ca

sridamesvara-vallabha

(The last "a" in "sri-hara" is of course long.)

Radha-Krsna Deities worship - origin:

CC Madhya 9.289 p.: "Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura remarks that up to the advent of His Holiness Sripada Laksmipati Tirtha, it was the system in the disciplic succession of Madhvacarya to worship Lord Krsna alone. After Srila Madhavendra Puri, worship of both Radha and Krsna was established. For this reason Sri Madhavendra Puri is accepted as the root of worship in ecstatic love."

Astaratha Das: Started by Caitanya Mahaprabhu; philosophical basis is Gosvami-grantha, before that Radha was worshiped only in the form of yantra; to prove genuineness of it was the reason of writing Govinda-bhasya (Baladeva Vidyabhusana).

Goloka - references:

Goloka is the supreme spiritual abode, where Sri Krsna lives with Sri Radha and Their innumerable devotees. It is elaborately described in Srimad Bhagavatam 10, Brahma-samhita, Brahma-vaivarta Purana (e.g. Tulasi story), etc. It is also mentioned in scriptures like Narada Pancaratra (tat sarvopari oloke), Gopala-tapani Upanisad, Garga-samhita 6.15.22, Harivamsa (Visnu Parva 19 - gavam eva tu goloko) or Rig Veda samhita 1.154.6 (devanagari, transcription, and translation):

ta vam vastuny usmasi gamadhyai

yatra gavo bhuri-srnga ayasah

atraha tad urugayasya krsnah

paramam padam avabhati bhuri

"We wish to go to Your [Radha's and Krsna's] beautiful houses, about which cows with large, excellent horns are wandering. Yet distinctly shining on this earth is that supreme abode of Yours that showers joy on all, O Urugaya [Krsna, who is much praised]."

<hr size="1"> Sri Radha's name in the SB

Although Radharani's name does not appear directly in the Bhagavatam Sukadeva Gosvami has given it in many places in an indirect way. I have heard from my Guru Maharaja that Sukadeva Gosvami did not mention Radharani's name directly because he was the parrot of Radha and if he had mentioned Her name directly he would have gone into ecstatic trance for six months. As Maharaja Pariksit had only seven days to hear Srimad Bhagavatam he gave Radha's name in an indirect, hidden way. He cited the writings of Srila Sanatana Gosvami and Jiva Gosvami who have described the Bhagavatam phrase "sri suka uvaca" to mean "suka" - the parrot, of "Sri" - Radha.

As this is a very big topic I will present only a few items here. Perhaps some other Vaishnavas may want to append to this.

Srila Prabhupada has addresses the subject of Radha's name in the Bhagavatam in several places. In CC Madhya 8.100 Ramananda Raya cites SB 10.30.28:

anayaradhito nunam

bhagavan harir isvarah

yan no vihaya govindah

prito yam anayad rahah

"[When the gopis began to talk among themselves, they said:] 'Dear friends, the gopi who has been taken away by Krsna to a secluded place must have worshiped the Lord more than anyone else.'"

In his purport Srila Prabhupada writes:

"The name Radha is derived from this verse (SB 10.30.28), from the words anayaradhitah, meaning "by Her the Lord is worshiped." Sometimes the critics of Srimad-Bhagavatam find it difficult to find Radharani's holy name in that book, but the secret is disclosed here in the word aradhita, from which the name Radha has come. Of course, the name of Radharani is directly mentioned in other Puranas. This gopi's worship of Krsna is topmost, and therefore Her name is Radha, or 'the topmost worshiper.'"

Although Radharani's name is only given in an indirect way in the Bhagavatam, rasika Vaishnavas see Her presence in each and every verse. Sanatana Gosvami, Jiva Gosvami and Vishvanatha Chakravarti have given many purports showing how Sukadeva Gosvami has given Radharani's name in an indirect way. In his commentary on the first verse of the Bhagavatam Jiva gives a long explanation of how the verse is referring to Radha. A few other examples of Sukadeva's indirect references to Radha follow:

In SB 10.32.4 Sukadeva has said, "kacit karambujam saurer jagrhe 'njalina - one of them seized Krsna's hand in her folded palms." Kacit refers to "*one* of them". That one is Radharani.

SB 10.30.38 describes:

evam uktah priyam aha

skandha aruhyatam iti

tatas cantardadhe krsnah

sa vadhur anvatapyata

"After being addressed by a particular gopi, Krsna told Her, "Climb up on My shoulder." Saying this He suddenly disappeared. Sa vadhur anvatapyata - His beloved consort (Radharani) then immediately felt great remorse."

SB 10.30.26 describes how after Krsna left the rasa dance with one special gopi the other gopis went searching for "vadhvah"- that special gopi (Radharani).

In the Bhramara-gita, SB 10.47.11, Sukadeva describes:

kacin madhukaram drstva

dhyayanti krsna-sangamam

priya-prasthapitam dutam

kalpayitvedam abravit

"*One* of the gopis, while meditating on Her previous association with Krsna, saw a honeybee before Her and imagined it to be a messenger sent by Her beloved. Thus She spoke as follows."

The word "kacin" in this verse, meaning "one of the gopis" refers to Radha.

Aside from the Bhagavatam, Radharani is described elaborately in Brahma-vaivarta, Padma, and Narada Puranas as well as Garga Samhita. In the 4th chapter of Ujjvala-nilamani, "Sri Radha-prakaranam" texts 3 and 4, Rupapada cites the Gopala-tapani Upanisad (of Atharva Veda), Uttara-khanda, where Radha is called Gandharvi and the Rg Veda-parisista where Her name Radha is mentioned. There She is described as the consort of Madhava.

A note of interest: Although this verse was quoted by Rupa, the original texts for this part of the Gopal-tapani Upanisad were unknown to scholars for many, many years. In 1966 one Vaishnava scholar here in Orissa named Fakir Mohan Das discovered original palm leaf copies of this rare literature in the Balasore district of northern Orissa. After finding it he quickly reprinted it to preserve it.

The following is an excerpt from an article written by Dr Fakir Mohan entitled "The History of Sri Sri Radha Krsna Worship in Orissan Culture":

"In Ujjvala Nilamani Srila Rupa Goswami cites the Gopala Tapani Upanisad and the Rg Parisista to show the authenticity of the worship of Srimati Radharani: gopalottaratapinyam yad gandharveti visrutah radhet rk parisiste ca, etc.

'From the Vedic literature we come to know that Sri Radharani is referred to as 'Gandharvi' in the second part of the Gopal Tapani, and as 'Radha' in the Rg Parishistha.'

"Srila Vishvanath Cakravarti Thakur and Baladev Vidyabhushan have stated in their commentaries on Gopala Tapani Upanisad that this tapani of the Atharva Veda, Paippalada branch, was previously being recited by the brahmanas of Gujarat and Orissa. Although presently there are no brahmanas of the Atharva Veda Paippalada branch found in Gujarat, thousands of this lineage are still living in the vicinity of the village Remuna, the birth place of Srila Baladev Vidyabhushan, and in other places of Orissa. In the absence of any help from ancient manuscripts, the original text of the Paippalada Samhita can be reconstructed even today from the tradition, which the village reciters still carry with them unimpaired. In this area some rare Paippalada Samhita manuscripts have been found along with a number of hitherto unknown manuals of special Paippalada rites which give an insight into the social, religious and cultural traditions of Paippaladiyans found in the tapani literature.

"In the 18th century, Srila Baladeva Vidyabhushan has quoted the Purusa-bodhini Sruti, Purusottama Tapini, in his Prameya Ratnavali in connection with the worship of Sri Sri Radha Krsna in the Vedic period. Vaishnava poets like Anandi of Nilachala Dhama and Narahari Cakravarti of Sri Khanda, Bengal, have quoted from the Purusa-bodhini Sruti to establish the authentic nature of the worship of Sri Sri Radha Krsna and Gauranga Mahaprabhu.

"Later in the 18th century, Srila Radha Krsna Goswami, the disciple of Haridas Pandit (who was the grand-disciple of Gadadhar Pandit Goswami of Puri), published four prapathakas (chapters) of the Purusa-bodhini sruti in his Sadhana-dipika. Thakur Bhaktivinode of village Chotimangalpur in Kendrapara District, Orissa, also collected the Sri Caitanya Upanisad of the Paippalada branch from Pandit Madhusudan Das of Sambalpur, Orissa, publishing it in 1887. In 1901 Mahamahopadhyaya Sadashiva Kavyakantha of Puri published some additional chapters of this Sruti. In 1966 we collected all twelve prapathakas of this Purusa-bodhini Sruti from different parts of Orissa and published them from our Sri Bhaktivinode Library in Baripada."

Sometimes people cannot understand why Rādhikā's name is not mentioned in Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam. Actually, however, Rādhikā can be understood from the word ārādhana, which indicates that She enjoys the highest loving affairs with Kṛṣṇa.

Śyathā rādhā priyā viṣṇos

tasyāḥ kuṇḍaḿ priyaḿ tathā

sarva-gopīṣu saivaikā

viṣṇor atyanta-vallabha

SYNONYMS

yathāas; rādhāŚrīmatī Rādhārāṇī; priyā — beloved; viṣṇoḥ — of Lord Kṛṣṇa; tasyāḥ — Her; kuṇḍam — lake; priyam — very dear; tathā — similarly; sarva-gopīṣu — among all the gopīs; — She; eva — certainly; ekā — alone; viṣṇoḥ — of Lord Kṛṣṇa; atyanta — very; vallabhā — dear.

TRANSLATION

"'Just as Śrīmatī Rādhārāṇī is most dear to Lord Kṛṣṇa, so Her lake, known as Rādhā-kuṇḍa, is also very dear to Him. Of all the gopīs, Śrīmatī Rādhārāṇī is certainly the most beloved.'

PURPORT

This is a verse from the Padma Purāṇa.

devī kṛṣṇa-mayī proktā

rādhikā para-devatā

sarva-lakṣmī-mayī sarva-

kāntiḥ sammohinī parā

SYNONYMS

devī — who shines brilliantly; kṛṣṇa-mayī — nondifferent from Lord Kṛṣṇa; proktā — called; rādhikāŚrīmatī Rādhārāṇī; para-devatā — most worshipable; sarva-lakṣmī-mayī — presiding over all the goddesses of fortune; sarva-kāntiḥin whom all splendor exists; sammohinī — whose character completely bewilders Lord Kṛṣṇa; parā — the superior energy.

TRANSLATION

"The transcendental goddess Śrīmatī Rādhārāṇī is the direct counterpart of Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa. She is the central figure for all the goddesses of fortune. She possesses all the attractiveness to attract the all-attractive Personality of Godhead. She is the primeval internal potency of the Lord."

PURPORT

This text is from the Bṛhad-gautamīya-tantra.

Guest guest

It's quite obvious you are ignorant of the supplementary Vedic literature, especially Vyasadeva's own commentary on Vedanta-sutra the Bhagavat Purana and how it was spoken the the incarnation of Siva - Sukadeva Goswami.

You are obviously ignorant of Sri Caitanya Avatar, his teachings, the Yuga Dharma, Vishnu-tattva, Siva-tattva and the Vaishnava siddhanta.

So, it would be fruitless and useless to try and discuss spiritual topics with anyone who is so ignorant of all the important subjects that you would need to be familiar with in order to have any sort of intelligible conversation on the purpose of the Vedas and the message of the Vedas.

If you weren't so ignorant of the Dharma shastras you would know which Purana has been endorsed by Vyasadeva himself as the essence of Vedic knowledge and the fruit of the Vedic desire tree.

I can't discuss spiritual topics with you because your knowledge base is incomplete and you have only a small sectarian view of the Sanatan Dharma.

You don't have any proper understanding about Vaikuntha, Viraja, Brahmanda etc etc., so really it's impossible to have any kind of intelligent conversation with you.

Ok. You have proven to everyone across the globe in YOUR court of law that i'm ignorant and unworthy of any "intelligent" discussion! Forget the tattva gyana. Maybe next birth you will again have another try if you do find a Guru.

Now tell me what Vyasdeva had to say about Radha! :) I'm all ears!!!

Now tell me what Vyasdeva had to say about Radha! :) I'm all ears!!!

Vyasadeva compiled Bhagavat Purana because he was unsatisfied with the incomplete knowledge he gave in the Vedas.

Therefore, he extracted the essence of Vedanta and presented that essence in an easily understandable form - the Bhagavat Purana.

In the tenth canto of Bhagavat Purana you will find the narration of the appearance and pastimes of Lord Krishna.

If you really want to know what Vyasadeva revealed about Radha, then you must understand the 10th Canto of Bhagavat Purana.

You can find an English translation of 10th canto of Bhagavat Purana to read here for no cost or money.

http://vedabase.net/sb/10/en

Guest guest

Vyasadeva compiled Bhagavat Purana because he was unsatisfied with the incomplete knowledge he gave in the Vedas.

Therefore, he extracted the essence of Vedanta and presented that essence in an easily understandable form - the Bhagavat Purana.

In the tenth canto of Bhagavat Purana you will find the narration of the appearance and pastimes of Lord Krishna.

If you really want to know what Vyasadeva revealed about Radha, then you must understand the 10th Canto of Bhagavat Purana.

You can find an English translation of 10th canto of Bhagavat Purana to read here for no cost or money.

Please send the part with Radha. Be specific. I need the shloka talking about Radha written by Vyasadeva. Thanks. Regards.

Please send the part with Radha. Be specific. I need the shloka talking about Radha written by Vyasadeva. Thanks. Regards.

It's obvious that you didn't study the information I have already provided, otherwise you would not be asking this question.

I have already addressed your question in a previous post, but you obviously are refusing to open your eyes and see the truth.

Aside from the Bhagavatam, Radharani is described elaborately in Brahma-vaivarta, Padma, and Narada Puranas as well as Garga Samhita. In the 4th chapter of Ujjvala-nilamani, "Sri Radha-prakaranam" texts 3 and 4, Rupapada cites the Gopala-tapani Upanisad (of Atharva Veda), Uttara-khanda, where Radha is called Gandharvi and the Rg Veda-parisista where Her name Radha is mentioned. There She is described as the consort of Madhava.

There is not much more than can be done for one as you who already has a prejudice against the Gaudiya sampradaya.

Guest guest

In fact I don't mind reading the original Vedic knowledge that you consider incomplete and Bhagwatam ONLY as the essence of Vedas. Also I was wondering if I can find the original Bhagwatam copy somewhere, without the BBT, Vedabase language and other changes. Wonder if you know of any... Maybe you can help me with this too. :)

In fact I don't mind reading the original Vedic knowledge that you consider incomplete and Bhagwatam ONLY as the essence of Vedas. Also I was wondering if I can find the original Bhagwatam copy somewhere, without the BBT, Vedabase language and other changes. Wonder if you know of any... Maybe you can help me with this too. :)

It is not I that consider the Vedas as incomplete.

Vyasadeva himself felt that way and so his Gurudeva Narada Muni instructed him to complile the Bhagavat Purana and compile the knowledge of Bhagavat Dharma to completely explain the highest and purest form of Dharma.

you can find the original Sanskrit version here:

http://www.granthamandira.org/categories.php?cat_id=29&sessionid=c17db9f36bd021f8ea661ddfce5bc813

Guest guest

It's obvious that you didn't study the information I have already provided, otherwise you would not be asking this question.

I have already addressed your question in a previous post, but you obviously are refusing to open your eyes and see the truth.

Guruvani, you are not specific. I'm not going to "study" whole books and pages after pages and everything to find one or two verse! Obviously you are saving yourself the effort to fish out the verse! And instead blaming me for closed eyes and mind. I'm really glad if she is mentioned there in!

For me personally her existence is not a question. All the other scriptures you mention are meaningless. You are biased and have lavish double standards. You mention scriptures, but only pick the parts that are acceptable to you rejecting others from the very same scripture. Its high time HKs stopped quoting Padma Purana since they reject the Shiv Gita - a part of Padma Puran just because it hails Lord Shiva. I'm sure all the other scriptures you mentioned are only used selectively for the parts that you want to see. The same Bhagwatam also hails Lord Shiva, a part that you never mention!

And to be honest and blunt enough, I don't trust all one hundred percent the Bhagwatam version publisehd by BBT in its authenticity and the way certain parts and language is presented. But as long as it is glorifying Krsna, its great!

You say, I need to open my eyes. But there is no conflict from my side!

All I don't accept is this God positioning agenda and putting down agenda! Glorify Krsna Radha Rukmani Subhadra Balrama Gauranga Jagannath!! What's the problem? Just Don't put down others!! That's the only issue I don't accept!

There is not much more than can be done for one as you who already has a prejudice against the Gaudiya sampradaya.

Guest guest

It is not I that consider the Vedas as incomplete.

Vyasadeva himself felt that way and so his Gurudeva Narada Muni instructed him to complile the Bhagavat Purana and compile the knowledge of Bhagavat Dharma to completely explain the highest and purest form of Dharma.

you can find the original Sanskrit version here:...

Jai Shri Krishna!

Thanks for the link Guruvani.

Just like you understand what Vyasadeva felt that way.. there are other lineages who feel the same way about their scriptures. There was a time when Lord Rama instructed Goswami Tulasidas to write Ramcharitmanas which is fully authoritative. This does not cancels out shri Valmiki Ramayana. Similarly Bhagwatam doesn't cancels out other scriptures. The whole agenda of Bhagwatam is the only ... or We HKs are the only...etc. reflects a shallow ego trip!! I've interacted with very senior Gaudiyas, and their mind sets have never reflected anything similar to this! It was a pleasure to feel the love n bhakti vibes.

It will be a pleasure to see you respecting others and their faith.

Love,

Namah Shivaya

Yogkriya.

Well, Guruvani, you are the one with strong prejudices and judgemental vociferous tendencies. I've seen loads of Hindu bashing, foolish, rascal calling and Hindus n Shiva belittling n all scriptures relating to Lord Maheswara as "tamsik" n other attacks from your persona. This is what is sickening!!

On the contrary, I don't prejudice against the Gaudiyas or anybody. But I've surely developed some prejudice against those newbies who claim to be the original Gaudiya flagbearers and are on a crusade to disrespect and cut short every other system of spiritual thought and practice and keep questioning their authenticity . Its sad that you are trying to voice from the Gaudiyas against others.

Bashing Hindus?

Nowhere in any Veda or Purana or Tantra is there ever any term "Hindu".

there is no such thing as a Hindu.

There are Shaivas, Shaktas, Mimamsakas, Vaishnavas, etc. etc, but no such thing as a Hindu.

I am not against any of these other people.

I am not against Shaivas or Shaktas.

I am against their false ideas that are against Dharma.

Where I have ever claimed to be "original Guadiya flagbearer?"

You make up false claims against me and then attack me for the false claims you accuse me of.

There is not such difference between orginal Gaudiya and modern Gaudiya.

The message of Mahaprabhu and his direct disciples is there for the whole world to follow.

There is no original Gaudiya or modern Gaudiya.

There is just ONE Yuga Dharma that Mahaprabhu came to propogate.

It's not complicated or sophisticated or the monopoly of scholars or Indians.

None of the sattvic Puranas neglect to establish that Siva is coming out of Vishnu-tattva.

That is not my half-baked conclusion.

Great scholar devotees have studied all the Vedic literatures and proven on shastric authority that Siva is coming from Vishnu-tattva and transcendentally more powerful than Siva tattva.

Mahesha Dhama is below Vaikuntha and the lowest strata of the spiritual plane.

Higher than Mahesha Dham is Hari Dhama.

This is the true conclusion of the most pure Puranas that do not deal in any form of material religious principles that can be found in Rajasic and Tamasic Puranas that are meant for men in lower modes of nature.

So, as long as men come around spouting off nonsense that is against the conclusion of the Sattvic Puranas, then I will disagree with them and defend the conclusions of Vyasadeva, Sukadeva, Narada etc. etc.

arjuna uvaca

param brahma param dhama

pavitram paramam bhavan

purusam sasvatam divyam

adi-devam ajam vibhum

ahus tvam rsayah sarve

devarsir naradas tatha

asito devalo vyasah

svayam caiva bravisi me

SYNONYMS

bump.gifarjunah uvaca--Arjuna said; param--supreme; brahma--truth; param--supreme; dhama--sustenance; pavitram--purest; paramam--supreme; bhavan--Yourself; purusam--personality; sasvatam--original; divyam--transcendental; adi-devam--original Lord; ajam--unborn; vibhum--greatest; ahuh--say; tvam--unto You; rsayah--sages; sarve--all; deva-rsih--the sage among the demigods; naradah--Narada; tatha--also; asitah--Asita; devalah--Devala; vyasah--Vyasa; svayam--personally; ca--also; eva--certainly; bravisi--explaining; me--unto me.

TRANSLATION

bump.gifArjuna said: You are the Supreme Brahman, the ultimate, the supreme abode and purifier, the Absolute Truth and the eternal divine person. You are the primal God, transcendental and original, and You are the unborn and all-pervading beauty. All the great sages such as Narada, Asita, Devala, and Vyasa proclaim this of You, and now You Yourself are declaring it to me.

virbhadra is a manifestation from shiva. In the linga purana, it says that after narsimha avatar killed hiranyakashyapu, he was more enraged and decided to destroy the universe. paniced, everyone went to shiva and shiva manifested virbhadra. virbhadra confronts narsimha and makes him understand but narsimha gets enraged and attacks virbhadra. as a result, virbhadra cuts off narasimha's head and kills him. in the purana, it says though that it only killed the avatar, and not vishnu himself. Do you think this really happened, that shiv manifestation killed vishnu avatar? ( i don't know because avatar is when god himself descends to do some task, this would mean vishnu himself descended as narasimha and that narsimha got slain.)

Sri Vijayindra Tirtha has answered this by pointing out contradictions among the tamasic puranas themselves, as well as conflict with the sattvic puranas and the sruti. The skandha purana, on the other hand, says that after Lord Narasimha had drunk Hiranyakashyapu's blood and was creating havoc, virbhadra on being ordered by Shiva took the form of sharabha caught Lord Narasimha, swirled him so that He regained composure and thus virbhadra controlled vishnu and went back (no mention of killing). The Shiva purana, as ykji wrote, says that it was shiva who took the form of sharabha and killed Lord Narasimha.

In the sattvic puranas there is no mention of Lord drinking Hiranyakashyapu's blood. On the other hand they mention Lord Narasimha killing sharabha. For example, Padma purana "jaghana nishitaistiksnaiHh nakhairnakhavarayudhah" or Vamana purana "meruprishthe nrisimhena sharabhashchatha soapatatah" compare the killing of sharabha by Lord Narasimha (by nails) to his killing of Hiranyakashyapu. Similarly other puranas such as Kurma purana, Agni purana etc. concur with this version.

The sruti (e.g. Mahanarayana upanishad, or Narasimha-tapani upanishad) rules out Vishnu ever getting deluded. Similarly sruti such as Narasimha-tapani upanishad, state that Lord Narasimha is param-brahman without beginning and end located in moksha dhama, so there is no question of Him being killed. Moreover, the sruti "harim harantamanuyanti devah | vishvasyeshanam" says that Ishana (Lord Shiva) is killed by Hari, the name Hari itself is to be known as meaning the destroyer which is also conveyed in Taittariya aranyaka where Indra kills Rudra with Sri Hari's chakra when the latter tries to spoil the former's yajna of Lord Narayana.

Since the statements from linga/skanda/shiva puranas contradict themselves and are also in contradiction with the sruti, these should be rejected. The sattvic puranas, on the other hand, concur on the event of Lord Narasimha killing sharabha and are also in consonance with the sruti, so that their version is the one that should be accepted.

Sri Vijayindra Tirtha has answered this by pointing out contradictions among the tamasic puranas themselves, as well as conflict with the sattvic puranas and the sruti. The skandha purana, on the other hand, says that after Lord Narasimha had drunk Hiranyakashyapu's blood and was creating havoc, virbhadra on being ordered by Shiva took the form of sharabha caught Lord Narasimha, swirled him so that He regained composure and thus virbhadra controlled vishnu and went back (no mention of killing). The Shiva purana, as ykji wrote, says that it was shiva who took the form of sharabha and killed Lord Narasimha.

In the sattvic puranas there is no mention of Lord drinking Hiranyakashyapu's blood. On the other hand they mention Lord Narasimha killing sharabha. For example, Padma purana "jaghana nishitaistiksnaiHh nakhairnakhavarayudhah" or Vamana purana "meruprishthe nrisimhena sharabhashchatha soapatatah" compare the killing of sharabha by Lord Narasimha (by nails) to his killing of Hiranyakashyapu. Similarly other puranas such as Kurma purana, Agni purana etc. concur with this version.

The sruti (e.g. Mahanarayana upanishad, or Narasimha-tapani upanishad) rules out Vishnu ever getting deluded. Similarly sruti such as Narasimha-tapani upanishad, state that Lord Narasimha is param-brahman without beginning and end located in moksha dhama, so there is no question of Him being killed. Moreover, the sruti "harim harantamanuyanti devah | vishvasyeshanam" says that Ishana (Lord Shiva) is killed by Hari, the name Hari itself is to be known as meaning the destroyer which is also conveyed in Taittariya aranyaka where Indra kills Rudra with Sri Hari's chakra when the latter tries to spoil the former's yajna of Lord Narayana.

Since the statements from linga/skanda/shiva puranas contradict themselves and are also in contradiction with the sruti, these should be rejected. The sattvic puranas, on the other hand, concur on the event of Lord Narasimha killing sharabha and are also in consonance with the sruti, so that their version is the one that should be accepted.

Guest guest

Well, the linga/shiv purana was recited by vedavyas student so i don't know what to believe. In the bhagavad gita i read:

(Chapter 10, verse 23) Shri Krishna tells Arjun:

"Of all the Rudras I am Lord Shiva, of the Yakṣas and Rākṣasas I am the Lord of wealth , of the Vasus I am fire , and of mountains I am meru."

So if narsimha was an avatar of supreme, he is still above all gods and demigods and this avatar's death (by killing) is impossible. Sri Krishna says he is Shiva and all other things as explained so shri krishna expands into shiva.

As for all the wired versions i read of narasimha drinking blood or lord vishnu fainting due to fear, these are absurd, where did you get these stories? any specific reference?

Guest guest

If Glorifying Shiva above Vishnu is Interpolated then what about ISKCON?

Before ISKCON originated everyone believed that all Trinity are equal and each have their own superior Quality.

But since the advent of ISKCON people keep saying that all GODS are Demigods except Krsna.What is the Proof of this theory?

Lord Shiva is no way inferior to anyone as far as Hinduism is concerned and he is the provider god who destroys the world in the end and Vishnus role is to protect Dharma and Brahmas role as creator.

But people like Prabupada started this Myth that all GODS are just Demigods and only Krsna is supreme,if you talk about Interpolation then ISKCON is the onyl Interpolated Cult.

Guest guest

Here is something that could prove that Shiva is noway inferior to Visnu

Since i am not able to post URLS,try searching Sarabhamurthy(Lord Shiva) in Google or and you will find details of how he Crushed Narasimha

Also look at the statue here at lotus-sculpture.stores..net/21b74.html

As i said earlier since the advent of ISKCON people keep saying that all GODS are Demigods except Krsna and there is no Proof of this theory?

Lord Shiva is no way inferior to anyone as far as Hinduism is concerned and he is the provider god who destroys the world in the end and Vishnus role is to protect Dharma and Brahmas role as creator.

But people like Prabupada started this Myth that all GODS are just Demigods and only Krsna is supreme,if you talk about Interpolation then ISKCON is the only Interpolated Cult.

There are different versions of each Purana and no one can for sure say which one is correct,in some versions its said that Hiranya ruled all three worlds and at one point in time when he had the boon he even searched to attack Vishnu who went into hiding as the time to Kill Hiranya was not arrived and he wouldve lost the battle if he fought against him.

And its reknown how Visnu got the Sudarsan Chakra by offering his eye when a lotus was short of his prayer to Lord Shiva

Also note that episode of Brahma and Vishnu both failing to find the depth of Shiva Linga and their pride being bursted as a result of that.

Lord shiva is not only the most kind god but also the most powerful and oldest God,he is called Adhidevata,so instead of just preaching the Hare Krsna mantra and degrading other Gods as Demigods the ISKCONis should realise that there are other GODS who are always considered as Parabrahm.

[quoteJai Shri Krishna!

Thanks for the link Guruvani.

Just like you understand what Vyasadeva felt that way.. there are other lineages who feel the same way about their scriptures. There was a time when Lord Rama instructed Goswami Tulasidas to write Ramcharitmanas which is fully authoritative. This does not cancels out shri Valmiki Ramayana. Similarly Bhagwatam doesn't cancels out other scriptures. The whole agenda of Bhagwatam is the only ... or We HKs are the only...etc. reflects a shallow ego trip!! I've interacted with very senior Gaudiyas, and their mind sets have never reflected anything similar to this! It was a pleasure to feel the love n bhakti vibes.

It will be a pleasure to see you respecting others and their faith.

Love,

Namah Shivaya

Yogkriya.]