suddenly i stop

but i know it's too late

i'm lost in a forest

all alone

the girl was never there

it's always the same

i'm running towards nothing

again and again and again

Its like the girl is Maya devi, enticing, tricking us into the forest of illusions, but then the girl was never there

it's always the same

i'm running towards nothing

again and again and again

so instructive, this helped me on the path so much,..

No doubt! I also had the same feelings about that song. Makes me want to put on some dary eyeliner and dye my hair black (if I had any left that is). :o

Aha! So *this* is where the party is happening!

Count me with the "like dhotis" category. In terms of "simple living", I can't imagine anything simpler (or more comfortable) than a dhoti.

I've dreamed that, if I were a better (or any sort of) model of a Vaishnava, I would go to work each day in dhoti and kurta (I like the idea of having *one* life and not many different compartments).

Since we're quoting song lyrics here. This one by Van Morrison brought me to tears yesterday (yep, I'm a sentimental sahajiya, just like my Dad). I did a quick cover of it last night, but it turned out pretty messy (if spirited).

Dweller on the Threshold

by Van Morrison

I'm a dweller on the threshold

And I'm waiting at the door

And I'm standing in the darkness

I don't want to wait no more

I have seen without perceiving

I have been another man

Let me pierce the realm of glamour

So I know just what I am

Feel the angel of the present

In the mighty crystal fire

Lift me up consume my darkness

Let me travel even higher

As I cross the burning ground

Let me go down to the water

Watch the great illusion drown

I'm gonna turn and face the music

The music of the spheres

Lift me up consume my darkness

When the midnight disappears

I will walk out of the darkness

And I'll walk into the light

And I'll sing the song of ages

And the dawn will end the night

I don't want to wait no more........><!-- D(["mb","\u003cbr\>\u003cbr\>I'm a dweller on the threshold\n\u003cbr\>And I cross some burning ground\u003cbr\>And I'll go down to the water\u003cbr\>Let the great illusion drown\u003cbr\>\u003cbr\>I'm a dweller on the threshold\u003cbr\>And I'm waiting at the door\u003cbr\>And I'm standing in the darkness\n\u003cbr\>I don't want to wait no more\u003cbr\>\u003cbr\>I'm a dweller on the threshold\u003cbr\>Dweller on the threshold\u003cbr\>I'm a dweller on the threshold\u003cbr\>\n\u003c/span\>\u003c/div\>",0] ); D(["mi",8,3,"112543bc41124a28",0,"0","Maitreya Maziarz","Maitreya","maitreya.maziarz@gmail.com",[ ,[["David","davidlukeabbott@","112543bc41124a28"] ] , ] ,"May 3 (22 hours ago)",["\"David L. Abbott\" \u003cdavidlukeabbott@\>"] , , , ,"May 3, 2007 4:17 PM","Re: Dweller on the Threshold","", ,1,,,"Thu May 3 2007_4:17 PM","On 5/3/07, Maitreya Maziarz \u003cmaitreya.maziarz@gmail.com\> wrote:","On 5/3/07, \u003cb class\u003dgmail_sendername\>Maitreya Maziarz\u003c/b\> <maitreya.maziarz@gmail.com> wrote:","gmail.com",,,"","",0,,"\u003c383278030705031617m6a0a8506i310732f089ca51e4@mail.gmail.com\>",0,,0,"In reply to \"Dweller on the Threshold\"",0] ); //-->.........>

And I cross some burning ground

And I'll go down to the water

Let the great illusion drown

Dweller on the threshold

Hare Krsna, All prabhus

I'm of the liking dhotis club.

I generally wear one to the temple on Sundays or anytime I go for functions. I also am know to only use silk for formal attire in the non secular world too. I would wear a dhoti all the time, except for physical daily work. Then pants are the only way to go. But for temple sadhana I like dhoti best but do not use white.

I combine Ritz dye, 1 package of Sunsine Yellow and 1 of Traupe in the washer and dye all my white funeral color cloth for daily wear. Sort of a toned down yellow/beige. I hate to wear white. I was told Srila Prabhupada originally wanted us to use the color yellow. But the devotees started to go to India and came back in white cloth. It was said Prabhupada let it go, but did not like the change to white and said upon first sight "Who died"

Hare Krsna,

Caturbahu das

Haribol!

As a woman, I would like to say that a man looks most attractive when he's in a dhoti. Rama never wore anything else and neither did Krishna.

Jai

Everyone's mentioning song lyrics. I just love Paul Weller's masterpiece "You do something to me." I always think of Krishna when I hear it.

"You do something to me,

something deep inside.

I'm hanging on the wire,

for love I'll never find.

You do something wonderful,

you chase it all away.

Fixing my emotions,

its throws me back again.

Hanging on the wire, yeah,

I'm waiting for my change.

I'm dancing through the fire,

just to catch your flame.

To feel again.

"Hanging on the wire, yeah,

said I"m waiting for the change.

Yeah I'm dancing through the fire,

To feel again.

"You do something to me,

somewhere deep inside.

I'm hoping to get close to,

a peace I cannot find.

Dancing through the fire, yeah,

Just to get close to,

just close enough

to tell you that -

You do something to me,

something deep inside."

Isn't it so beautiful? I love that song!

Haribol!

Jai

Guest guest

Im with youse guys. Song lyrics that make us cry, styles that catch our fancy, this is where the sublime leaves the rest.

Your Wildest Dreams -dem moody blues

Once upon a time,

Once when you were mine,

I remember skies

Reflected in your eyes.

I wonder where you are,

I wonder if you

Think about me

Once upon a time,

In your wildest dreams.

Once the world was new,

Our bodies felt the morning dew

That greets the brand new day.

We couldn't tear ourselves away.

I wonder if you care.

I wonder if you still remember.

Once upon a time,

In your wildest dreams

And when the music plays,

And when the words are

Touched with sorrow,

When the music plays

I hear the sound.

I had to follow,

Once upon a time.

Once beneath the stars

The universe was ours.

Love was all we knew

And all I knew was you.

I wonder if you know,

I wonder if you think about it

Once upon a time,

In your wildest dreams

And when the music plays,

And when the words are

Touched with sorrow,

When the music plays,

And when the music plays

I hear the sound.

I had to follow,

Once upon a time

Once upon a time,

Once when you were mine,

I remember skies

Mirrored in your eyes.

I wonder where you are,

I wonder if you

Think about me,

Once upon a time.

In your wildest dreams.

In your wildest dreams.

In your wildest dreams.

Earlier on this topic, I was speaking about my rasta-devotee look, three dreadlocks coming from di sikha part of me head-mon. Dreadlocks have great effect, we should analyze that look, a look that crosses cultures since humans first landed here in search of more honey.

The most impressive dreadlocks ever grown, IMHO, were by a scotsman canadian who went by the name Yabba Yoo. In full kilt, his read dreads were just an inch from the ground, the mon carried fifteen pounds of hair, the lock-bag (knit hats favored by the jamaican rastafarians) was like a huge tote purse.

But most dreadlocks are not worn by the jamaicans. The great ascetic beauties of India also favor this look, the celibate wives of the demigods, the devadasis do not use combs to penetrate their sillouhette. In fact, most people do not know, thet the jamaqican dreadlock hairstyle comes from India, the Lord Siva worshippers who consider it offensive to use combs as well, or scissors, or doing anything at all to that which is created by God. The merger with the matted look of the indian ascetic avadhutas and the african transplants who fill the carribean took place in the slave markets. Indian and African merged cultures at some point as they were rounded up together by conquering europeans and tethered together in the plantations.

Other great wearers of the dreadlock were the descendents of St John The Baptist, otherwise known as Templars, barbary coast Pirates who also filled the carribean.

Maybe we can merge this fashion and music topic by describing shows we have seen with the best get-ups. Like a Mutabaruka concert where he arrived onstage in chains, or how about the old Jethro Tull Passion Play tour. Anyone who was at one of these shows would surely comment on the scotsman Ian Anderson's attire.

What a kinder and gentler topic.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Haribol!

As a woman, I would like to say that a man looks most attractive when he's in a dhoti. Rama never wore anything else and neither did Krishna.

Jai

Maybe so but walking around in one is a different story. Yogi pants forever! I do miss the other aspects of Indian Vaisnava body symbols. I loved marking my body with tilak in twelve places. I even liked a shaved head. These things while not being the goal in and of themselves do have a positive effect on the mind. The outer effects the inner.

The mistake that gets made is when we want to impose these traditional dress and markings on others as some sort of essential component to chanting the Holy Name. The Holy Name stands free from all prerequistes rules regulations and traditions. We can't forget that.

Rules regs and traditions can be helpful in the chanting of the Holy Name, but being helpful and being essential are two different things.

Earlier on this topic, I was speaking about my rasta-devotee look, three dreadlocks coming from di sikha part of me head-mon. Dreadlocks have great effect, we should analyze that look, a look that crosses cultures since humans first landed here in search of more honey.

The most impressive dreadlocks ever grown, IMHO, were by a scotsman canadian who went by the name Yabba Yoo. In full kilt, his read dreads were just an inch from the ground, the mon carried fifteen pounds of hair, the lock-bag (knit hats favored by the jamaican rastafarians) was like a huge tote purse.

But most dreadlocks are not worn by the jamaicans. The great ascetic beauties of India also favor this look, the celibate wives of the demigods, the devadasis do not use combs to penetrate their sillouhette. In fact, most people do not know, thet the jamaqican dreadlock hairstyle comes from India, the Lord Siva worshippers who consider it offensive to use combs as well, or scissors, or doing anything at all to that which is created by God. The merger with the matted look of the indian ascetic avadhutas and the african transplants who fill the carribean took place in the slave markets. Indian and African merged cultures at some point as they were rounded up together by conquering europeans and tethered together in the plantations.

Other great wearers of the dreadlock were the descendents of St John The Baptist, otherwise known as Templars, barbary coast Pirates who also filled the carribean.

Maybe we can merge this fashion and music topic by describing shows we have seen with the best get-ups. Like a Mutabaruka concert where he arrived onstage in chains, or how about the old Jethro Tull Passion Play tour. Anyone who was at one of these shows would surely comment on the scotsman Ian Anderson's attire.

What a kinder and gentler topic.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Even Lord Shiva wears dreadlocks! You're right, it's a fascinating topic.

I always loved Bob Marley's look.

Jai

I had dreads for 8 years. I loved my dreads, they were a roadmap to where I had been. Anyhow, Indian laborors in Jamaca likely brought many aspects of what has become Rastafarianism to Jamaca, including dreadlocks. So there is some connection withLord Shiva and Bob Marley :) I was listening to Uprising on the way to the temple yesterday. Forever Loving Jah! Not to mention strict rastas are vegetarians. Theists.

"Forever loving Jah." That is vaisnavism and is glorious.

I sill hate the dreads though. ;} I imagine colonies of little microbial critters by the millions running around in there.

Guest guest

Yes, theist, there are some pretty bad dreadlocks out there, some think the look is maintained by never washing. Ya never know who is living in such a mess.

Real dreadlocks are kept very neat out of respect to jah. As our esteemed forum member, brajeshwara das, noted, true rastafarians are of a completely different nature. The ones I befriended, (many from your area, in fact, della grant, pablo moses, dem twinkle brothers and other beserkley bredren and sistren), they were strict vegetarians, not to mention very inclined to turn their reggae jam sessions into unique samkirtana, no fear of Jahs other Holy Names, as Hare Krsna flowed sincerely in the jam I was fortunate to attend (and perhaps humbly influence). Even the ganja thing, many, such as the ascetic Ras Michael, only imbibe for special reasons, never to just party on, like the majority of the youth. Some even decry the use of ganja, but those who do have clouds of smoke around them at all times, like the late great peter tosh, do great altruistic work in getting the youth to give up all the really bad drugs, all the white powders, brown sugars, hardware store confections and the alcohols.

Most noteworthy, and I highly recommend this obscure artist, is charlie chaplin, whose song "Dont touch crack" (a parody of a famous rap song) has great preaching points. This whole album, titled "Cry Blood", is very heavy, and his lyrics leave little doubt that he is not against us, so therefore (according to LJC) fully with us.

We all run into groups and cultures, In fact, we are a subculture as well, us internetters who cannot forget Krsna even though we have tried for decades. The rastafarians, in my experiance, are the best of folks, very high on the scale of advanced human beings. Compared to others who like to think they are advanced (i.e. coffee table mystics, channelers, artbell-vadis. aquarians, new agies), there is no comparison. But individuals make up cultures, and as many natty dreads out there, there are just as many nasty dreads, not unlike our own sub-culture, equal part vaisnava and kali cela.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

ps, wash em in di ocean, rinse under di waterfall, use coconut milk.

Mahaksa prabhu,

You disabused me of my negative outlook on Rastafarians long long ago. I read your posts bro. and I have listened up to your showing the real Rasta men behind the obvious visible scene. I offer my respects to anyone who chants the name of God ,Jah Christ Krsna Allah irregardless if they smoke a little ganja have a little sex or even eat a little meat. The name transcends all these other considerations which will clear up in due course by the power of the name.

But dreads...? How do you get all the inner hairs clean I mean they look so impenetrable. But it's cool I'm just jivin' around abit. Ain't on no anti-dreadlock campaign, I've got my own tangled mess inside my head to worry about. Now that's a ghastly mess to be sure.