IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Clothes.. Apearance..

Rate this topic

Yep,

brajeshawara is right, i just hated to walk around in a dhoti and i think it is still not my cup of thee, so to speak...but...

At last sunday we were celebrating Lord Ram's appearance day, just two days before the actual appearance day, because of the tourists and devotees coming here....

And i had to act in the play we were performing, just remove some tables and background stuff, nothing specials....

So i came there in my Kali t-shirt (just love this bloody mess) and changed it after deep thinking, i wore a Krishna shirt.

But then the director of it all, just before we started (the rascal;) ), he threw a whole set of orange Brahmachari clothes to me and said that i have to wear them...i was in chock, 'cause there was a dhoti there and i just don't like those bloody dhoti's.....

But i did it and some devotees were helping me with dressing up in this thing....and i did what i had to do, and more then 75 people were watching me....

But the funny part...i really didn't mind this dhoti anymore, it was all good.....although still very weird for me, as i was a criminal, dating and exploiting prostitutes in the past, drinking, using drugs, i was a trained boxer, although amateur and being a though guy and so on....and now in a dress !!!

Yep, you get used to those changes....

Erik.

Sure, the contents are what is important, not the container. Though you may naturally change everything about yourself in the process of becoming Krishna Conscious, including your clothes.

Very good way to put that my friend!

In essence Krishna Consciousness is about getting over focusing on our own likes and dislikes, and instead focusing on the likes and dislikes of Krishna. So if Krishna wants me to wear a dress I will happily wear a dress if that is His desire. That sort of thing. It's not about me, it's about Him. Easier said than done though :crazy:

Jesus advises us in Matthew 6:

24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 25Therefore I say unto you,
Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than food, and the body more than raiment?

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

In the beginning I wore dark brown corduroy pants and a matching dark brown corduroy untucked shirt, incessantly almost like a uniform. Later it became beige pants and untucked white shirts. Now it's just whatever I grab (trying to remember the above quote and becoming a lily of the field). Would be nice to go back to the comfortable cords though someday (beige for summer and dark brown for winter), but I never buy clothes, just wear what time has accumulated. Eyeliner? Is that a Green Day or Alice Cooper influence?

Undercover Brother, Krsna will present you as He likes. Give Him a chance, and some chants.

Actually its a Synthpop Influence.. Like "The Cure" and "Depeche Mode" (Some of the more recognizable groups) But eyeliner is an ancient practice.. Egyptians wore eyeliner.. Sumerians as well..

Ah, Robert Smith was one of the first vegetarians I was exposed to, he probably had some influence on me becoming a vegetarian :) Back in the Hanging Garden days. Kind of seems to be talking about the transmigration of souls now I think about it more:

"The Hanging Garden"

Creatures kissing in the rain

Shapeless in the dark again

In the hanging garden

Please don't speak

In the hanging garden

No one sleeps

In the hanging garden

In the hanging garden

Catching haloes on the moon

Gives my hands the shapes of angels

In the heat of the night

The animals scream

In the heat of the night

Walking into a dream . . .

Fall fall fall fall

Into the walls

Jump jump out of time

Fall fall fall fall

Out of the sky

Cover my face as the animals cry

In the hanging garden

In the hanging garden

Creatures kissing in the rain

Shapeless in the dark again

In a hanging garden

Change the past

In a hanging garden

Wearing furs

And masks

Fall fall fall fall

Into the walls

Jump jump out of time

Fall fall fall fall

Out of the sky

Cover my face as the animals die

In the hanging garden

As the animals die

Cover my face as the animals die

In the hanging garden

Haribol. Devotees know this: "I am not the body". When slight advancement is made from this point, the devotee understands that the body he possesses is not really "his" possession. But this body is a facility to carry out this phase of one's life, so what one does to the body, as long as such action does not harm this form belonging to the great mahat tattwa (the biosphere called the material world), is of no consequence.

Dark is way cool, since we are speaking fashion here. The One who walks the line, Mr. Johnny Cash ( a marvelous soul with great spiritual insight and characteristics of a devotee), was a man of black. David Byrnne, Sri Talking Head, is a fashion statement as well, as is marilyn Manson, Johnny (rotton) lyden, and other heroes. Dont worry about the eye liner, just refer those who criticize to Capt. Jack Sparrow, an awesome lad of piracy.

I had a fashion statement at one point, when I was working the Island Reggaefest in the early 90s up in O Canada (Duncan BC). I had a very long sikha (tuft growing out the top of me brains) that went rasta on me, from one tuft sprouted three dreadlocks that were the envy of me frinds from Trinidad Tobago. Now talk about fashion statements, go to a three day reggae festival, there you see fashion. I met a scotsman, full kilt, red hair, full beard, with dreadlocks that would have hit the ground if not for his (lock bag) knit hat. I mean, he had ten pounds of hair to carry around.

Now, I go for the "old dude" look, white hair shaved every year to the nubs somehwere between Lord Nityananda and Lord Chaitantya appearance, and let wild the rest of the year.

Hey, I like this thread. Lets talk fashion. Maybe Ill forward this to my daughter, tulasi. Shes the expert. She has taken the face piercing to the awesome level where she can immediately be hired by lawyers and banks. (well, she did move to san francisco, maybe a bank in waco texas would settle for another). Now that is fashion, she makes metal beautiful.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

I dislike dhotis also. Clumsy and bothersome. Haven't wore one since the seventies and don't remeber how to put one on exactly. I prefer yogi pants and a teeshirt. I wear khakis and some sort of pullover top that doesn't require ironing when I am out and about. Like gHari I am living on accumulations and the only articles of clothing I have bought in the last 4 years were two pair of shorts. Clean, simple & modest, light colors feels best for me.

In the temple function like the play Eric was talking about Eric did the right thing by setting his ego aside and complying with the request. Afterall it was a temple production so a dhoti would not be an unexpected. Also every director on Broadway has the final say on what happens in his play. So no need to make waves.

Just keep chanting Tirisilex. Afterall we are after a change of heart and not a change of bodily clothing.

Hare Krsna, All prabhus

I'm of the liking dhotis club.

I generally wear one to the temple on Sundays or anytime I go for functions. I also am know to only use silk for formal attire in the non secular world too. I would wear a dhoti all the time, except for physical daily work. Then pants are the only way to go. But for temple sadhana I like dhoti best but do not use white.

I combine Ritz dye, 1 package of Sunsine Yellow and 1 of Traupe in the washer and dye all my white funeral color cloth for daily wear. Sort of a toned down yellow/beige. I hate to wear white. I was told Srila Prabhupada originally wanted us to use the color yellow. But the devotees started to go to India and came back in white cloth. It was said Prabhupada let it go, but did not like the change to white and said upon first sight "Who died"

Hare Krsna,

Caturbahu das

• Do you know that silk yarn is produced from silk worms?
  • Do you know that silk worms are being killed mercilessly to get the silk yarn/filament?
  • Do you know that 15 silk worms are being killed to get 1 gram of silk, 1500 silk worms are being killed to get one meter of woven silk (cloth)?
  • Do you know that a conventional silk consumer is indirectly causing cruel killing of Millions of innocent silk worms ?

Please investigate alternatives that are non-violent such as ahimsa silk. Google ahimsa silk for a host of web sites that speak of ahimsa silk.

http://www.ahimsasilks.com

I also am know to only use silk for formal attire in the non secular world too.

I have some nice dhotis and other cloth (but rarely wear them). Being the only aspiring Gaudiya devotee in town, it would take quite a bit of flamboyance to come out in public fully decked. I am sure most people in town would think I was a bit odd if I did that. A high percentage of the population probably have never heard of or seen Hare Krsna's, so I am sure they would be surprised to see a middle aged man walking around town in flowing robes.

But saying this, ofcourse I would love to live in a place I could express my devotional desires in an external manner. That would be so nice.

So for the time being the externals are simply a set of tulasi neck beads. Occasionally some hippie type people have called out to me (while I am waiting at the bus stop)...'Hare Krsna dude!' So I reply 'Gauranga' back...funny really!

But apart from that type of rare occurence here, I more or less blend into the crowd (when I have worn my bead bag for some silent japa in public - people just seem to stare - so normally I will just do japa at home).

Occasionaly people have asked if I am into yoga or something...they just kinda get a hunch that something is different (so when this happens it is nice - a chance to share a little.)

Trisilex...my neighbour comes from the city (St. Kilda - a very colorful part of Melbourne). He used to wear the black eye-liner and all that. And he wishes he could get back there some time - he finds he cannot express himself fully in this conservative place.

So good luck to you...I am glad you are free in your expression.

Basically I am modest in dress....if I can find cheap simple clothing without all the tags and logos on them I feel comfortable...I own a couple of pairs of pants, six tees, six plain tops, and two vests. That's about it. Not dressed to impress...keeping things simple is nice these days.

(when I have worn my bead bag for some silent japa in public - people just seem to stare - so normally I will just do japa at home).

I've been asked many times essentially 'is that where you keep your money?'

I guess it is where I keep my treasure, sure :)

I've been asked many times essentially 'is that where you keep your money?'

I guess it is where I keep my treasure, sure :)quote by braj

One time an old friend saw me with my hand in the bag (it looks like you have a long hand that droops down kinda if you didn't know).

He said to me..."Oh God...what happened to your hand...are you allright?"

I replied "this is a bead bag, it contains beads which I chant on for yoga."

He gave me an even stranger look then!:rolleyes:

One time an old friend saw me with my hand in the bag (it looks like you have a long hand that droops down kinda if you didn't know).

He said to me..."Oh God...what happened to your hand...are you allright?"

I replied "this is a bead bag, it contains beads which I chant on for yoga."

He gave me an even stranger look then!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I've definitely been there before: "what happened to your hand, bro?" :wacko:

Braj...if I live to be eighty I am definately coming out fully decked...either in a dhoti and tilaka...or dressed as a cowboy (with fully flared dragon embroided pants like Gram Parsons)...I reckon if I make it to ninety I will be able to get away with anything!:P

click image:

angel_a.jpg

Guest guest

Id go full tilt Capn Jack Sparrow. Better yet, Id go with the guha look, as described in my story from the ramayana:

"As the three forged deeper into the forest, the glorious metropolis of Ayodhya became a distant memory. The branches of the rain forest hid the sun so completely that it seemed that Suryadeva Himself had given up his life in separation. As Rama and Laksmana hacked away at the dense growth, they heard strange cries that were not from any animal. Out of nowhere, a tiny, well formed man appeared before them like a comet falling from the sky.

His skin was like molten gold, his green hair hung loose in mats, weaved with beautiful flowers, wooden beads amd hardened forest nuts. He wore garlands of tiger and jackal teeth, precious gems and other articles. His upper body had many tattoos of various design, and for clothing, he only wore a loincloth. He was heavily armed with many weapons, arrows, spears, long bows, and other very sharp throwing darts."

now thats the look.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

(with fully flared dragon embroided pants like Gram Parsons) quote by bija

Wait a minute...the flared dragon pants was Jimmy Page. Time is passing and I am getting my 'Gods of Rock' all mixed up.

"As the three forged deeper into the forest, the glorious metropolis of Ayodhya became a distant memory. The branches of the rain forest hid the sun so completely that it seemed that Suryadeva Himself had given up his life in separation. As Rama and Laksmana hacked away at the dense growth, they heard strange cries that were not from any animal. Out of nowhere, a tiny, well formed man appeared before them like a comet falling from the sky.

His skin was like molten gold, his green hair hung loose in mats, weaved with beautiful flowers, wooden beads amd hardened forest nuts. He wore garlands of tiger and jackal teeth, precious gems and other articles. His upper body had many tattoos of various design, and for clothing, he only wore a loincloth. He was heavily armed with many weapons, arrows, spears, long bows, and other very sharp throwing darts." quote by mahak

Yes Mahak...this is it!

The ultimate!

I got so many instructions from the cure song, called the forest,

come closer and see

see into the trees

find the girl

while you can

come closer and see

see into the dark

just follow your eyes

just follow your eyes

i hear her voice

calling my name

the sound is deep

in the dark

i hear her voice

and start to run

into the trees

into the trees

into the trees

suddenly i stop

but i know it's too late

i'm lost in a forest

all alone

the girl was never there

it's always the same

i'm running towards nothing

again and again and again

Its like the girl is Maya devi, enticing, tricking us into the forest of illusions, but then the girl was never there

it's always the same

i'm running towards nothing

again and again and again

so instructive, this helped me on the path so much,..