Guest guest

Lord Narasimha

Rate this topic

Sri Nrsimha Maha-mantra

ugram viram maha-visnum

jvalantam sarvato mukham I

nrsimham bhisanam bhadram

mrtyur mrtyum namamy aham II

"I bow down to Lord Nrsimhadeva who is ferocious and heroic like Lord Visnu. He is burning from every side. He is terrific, auspicious and the death of death personified."

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/sastras-studies2.htm

What short mantra to Lord Narasimha can be chanted in times of danger?

Try "HELP ME PLEASE LORD NARASIMHA!!!!"

It is not true that we can only speak to the Lord in the formula of offical mantras. The Lord is a person and we are also. He is also our best friend and well wisher so why not speak to Him as such?

Student: Srila Guru Maharaj, in the Ganesha-kanda section of Brahma-vaivarta Purana, the history of Sri Parasaurama is related. I read there that Lord Siva gave Parasaurama a protective mantra, a Krsna-kavaca. But one devotee told me that in this Age, Kali-Yuga, the only really potent kavaca is Narasimbha-kavaca. My question is: what is true about these kavacas? Is it possible in the present day for anyone to be given, or to accept, these kavacas that appear in the ancient scriptures? Is it necessary or practical?

Srila Sridhar Maharaj: The use of kavacas is, on the whole, an external affair. The Mantra (Gayatri) and the Nama (Hare Krishna) are all-useful and all-powerful, and using the kavaca to help externally is a thing of minor importance. The nama, the Lord's Name, and the Lord whose Name it is are one and the same; that is enough. It is sufficient, complete. In the mundane world to help us we can sometimes accept the kavacas, but that is not of very great importance. We may accept either krsna-kavaca or narasimha-kavaca to help our bhajan (worship), but not at the cost of faith in the divine Name, nama-bhajan, which is the best of all; even the (Gayatri) mantra is to help the nama-bhajan.

Krsna-mantra haite habe samsara-mocana

Krsna-nama haite pabe krsnera carana

(Cc. Adi-lila 7.73)

"Simply by chanting the Holy Name of Krishna one can obtain freedom from material existence. Indeed, simply by chanting the Hare Krishna mantra one will be able to see the lotus feet of the Lord."

The worship of the Name, nama-bhajan, is the highest, and we shall stick to that with our whole concentration. To see or to look for other things to help it may be allowed to a certain extent. But not much attention should be given to those external things; they are only something like a varna, a kind of dress, a covering for protection. So, there is not much harm if we take krsna-kavaca or narasimha-kavaca with this intention: "It has come to help my nama-bhajan life." If meant in this way, it may be allowed, but it is not the highest standard.

The general purpose of using a kavaca is to protect us from the external or superficial difficulties. But the pure devotees of Krishna, they won't be afraid of any external difficulties. Rather, they may invite them like Queen Kunti, who said: "External dangers-let them come and attack me. I don't care for them; I shall go on with my service."

In using the kavaca there is some karmic connection, but if that is to help the good, then its use may be acceptable. Still, in the highest form of bhajan, everything is depending on His will. The devotee thinks, "Whether I may be in danger or in happiness, I shall go on with my nama-bhajan without any care for the external conditions that may come to me according to my previous karma. I may be in hell, heaven or anywhere else; I won't waste my energy going to any other direction. I will go on with my nama-bhajan." Bhajan done in this mood is of the higher quality. Do you follow?

Student: Yes.

Srila Sridhar Maharaj: In Prahlada Maharaj, and others, we see such an attitude: "Dangers may come, at their wish, with their extreme power to disturb me; I don't care." So, pasu-pakhi haya tabe-wherever my karma may take me, even to the body of bird or beast, I won't pray to Krishna for favorable circumstances. I shall utilize my energy best only towards Him. I shall only want for Him: "Your sweet will may be victorious. You can make or mar. You can kill me or save me. If it is necessary for Your sweet enjoyment to kill me, You can do that. I am a slave and You have every right over me, to do anything and everything." With this conception in the background we have to make our approach towards Him, and that will be of the highest quality. Our bhajan should be in this line.

In our worship we are not seeking comfort from Him or anything outside. We won't pray: "O Krishna, You please create protection. I am going towards You, so please manage my protection." Our bhajan should be of this purest type: "You may do whatever You like; I want Your service. I want only that Your sweet will may be satisfied by me." There is to be such total self-forgetfulness in the service of Krishna. The whole concentration will be: "How can I satisfy You?"

Such a high and perfect standard.

Yeah, but I constantly find myself bargaining with the Lord: 'Lord, please do this for me then I will be in a better position to serve you", always defaulting to desiring to be served instead of the servant. Even when I am making some attempt at service :crying2:

Yeah, but I constantly find myself bargaining with the Lord: 'Lord, please do this for me then I will be in a better position to serve you", always defaulting to desiring to be served instead of the servant. Even when I am making some attempt at service :crying2:

Sure, we are mixed devotees. There is no reason to do business with the Lord or demand a certain reward for service because He is far more generous then we can imagine. But we all do it anyway. At the level I believe most of us are at we fluxuate between desiring heaven and desiring mukti. We must become cent per cent convinced of our position in relation to Krsna. Gradual process.

Until then we approach Him with motives of various kinds. But just by approaching Him we grow spiritually.

Until then I rely on the prayer Help! :)