IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Kartals

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hari Bol!

I am curious if anyone knows what the bell metal is made of that is use to make Kartals? Well let me be clear; I somehow came across information that bell metal made in India has a certain amount of mercury in it. I was suprised. This obviously concerned me as mercury is extremely toxic. However I do know that mercury evaporates at room temperature, so theoreticaly if any residue was on the surface it would evaporate off. I don't mean to be overly concerned about mundane topics, but since kartals are material objects created by man, and we must know that we can not be certain without a doubt that man, in this day and age, will produce and sell products with the health and safety of it's consumers at a top priority. It is a top priority because the healthier we are, the better able we are to serve God.

I know that mercury can be added to certain metals to obtain a gold colored metal (most kartals are golden in color), but i am also aware of silver colored kartals; these are obviously not the same exact alloy of metal, but what of the mercury content of these? Once again, excuse me for wanting to discuss such mundane things, but I know someone out there knows the answer! Out of compassion for my fellow men and women, that our bodies may remain healthy to serve the Lord, Krishna has implored me to ask (Krishna is so merciful that he accepts my inquistive nature, even when I have are hard time doing so)!

Jaya Srila Prabhupada!

Hari Krsna!

Hari Bol!

I am curious if anyone knows what the bell metal is made of that is use to make Kartals? Well let me be clear; I somehow came across information that bell metal made in India has a certain amount of mercury in it. I was suprised. This obviously concerned me as mercury is extremely toxic. However I do know that mercury evaporates at room temperature, so theoreticaly if any residue was on the surface it would evaporate off. I don't mean to be overly concerned about mundane topics, but since kartals are material objects created by man, and we must know that we can not be certain without a doubt that man, in this day and age, will produce and sell products with the health and safety of it's consumers at a top priority. It is a top priority because the healthier we are, the better able we are to serve God.

I know that mercury can be added to certain metals to obtain a gold colored metal (most kartals are golden in color), but i am also aware of silver colored kartals; these are obviously not the same exact alloy of metal, but what of the mercury content of these? Once again, excuse me for wanting to discuss such mundane things, but I know someone out there knows the answer! Out of compassion for my fellow men and women, that our bodies may remain healthy to serve the Lord, Krishna has implored me to ask (Krishna is so merciful that he accepts my inquistive nature, even when I have are hard time doing so)!

Jaya Srila Prabhupada!

Hari Krsna!

So far I noticed that there're different types of bell metals the karatals are made of. Some are harder and some are softer. In order to really find out something like an official expertise would be required.

Guest guest

So far I noticed that there're different types of bell metals the karatals are made of. Some are harder and some are softer. In order to really find out something like an official expertise would be required.

True bell metal is a combination according to an exact recipe of more than one metal combined using a special process.

Anything else is not "Bell Metal".

As for the recipe, I don't have it.

Guest guest

Thank you for the replies, but I think that my post was perhaps overly cautious. I have always been sensitive to such concerns, but now I am sensitive for Krishna's sake! I have found some reliable info that suggests that it is unlikely that bell metal contains mercury, although there is a tradition of its use in India. I discovered that WIKI has an entry for bell metal and it is described as an alloy of copper and tin. It notes that there is also a naturaly ocurring bell metal ore that can be found in underground veins! Imagine, we mix most of the bell metal used, but Krishna truely provided the original recipe!

Hari Bol