IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Puri Temple Priests Purify Temple Following Non-Hindu's Entrance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

timesofindia.com

PURI, INDIA, March 3, 2007: After more than 18 hours of debate, the food cooked for approximately 7,000 devotees at Puri's Jagannath Temple was thrown away on Friday. A number of priests had insisted the prasadam (food blessed by the Deity) be discarded because it had been defiled by the entry of an American non-Hindu into the temple. The mahaprasad that went to waste was estimated to be worth around US$6,800.

The throwing away of such a huge quantity of food coincided with police confirming that the US national, Paul Roediger, had managed to gain entry through a temple priest. On Thursday, priests suddenly noticed a white man near the sanctum sanctorum, infamous for barring entry to Thai princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn in 2005.

"People enter in groups and there is always the possibility of someone sneaking in," said temple administrator, Suresh Mohapatra. Police detained Mr. Roediger, who is 59, for five hours for allegedly violating the age-old temple tradition which bars non-Hindus, especially those who consume "objectionable food," from entering the shrine. Puri police said no case has been registered because there is no law under which Mr. Roediger can be charged. "Since there is no law to punish Roediger, the temple administration asked him to pay $5.00 for the mahasnana (purification ritual)," the police said.

timesofindia.com

PURI, INDIA, March 3, 2007: After more than 18 hours of debate, the food cooked for approximately 7,000 devotees at Puri's Jagannath Temple was thrown away on Friday. A number of priests had insisted the prasadam (food blessed by the Deity) be discarded because it had been defiled by the entry of an American non-Hindu into the temple. The mahaprasad that went to waste was estimated to be worth around US$6,800.

The throwing away of such a huge quantity of food coincided with police confirming that the US national, Paul Roediger, had managed to gain entry through a temple priest. On Thursday, priests suddenly noticed a white man near the sanctum sanctorum, infamous for barring entry to Thai princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn in 2005.

"People enter in groups and there is always the possibility of someone sneaking in," said temple administrator, Suresh Mohapatra. Police detained Mr. Roediger, who is 59, for five hours for allegedly violating the age-old temple tradition which bars non-Hindus, especially those who consume "objectionable food," from entering the shrine. Puri police said no case has been registered because there is no law under which Mr. Roediger can be charged. "Since there is no law to punish Roediger, the temple administration asked him to pay $5.00 for the mahasnana (purification ritual)," the police said.

....i bet that hindus who eat meat are given entry though...

Guest guest

ROFL X 10!!!

Guest guest

If you have brown skin, they'll let you in, without question. amirite? So a mexican guy who loves beef enchiladas and tamales, who looks indian, but is not hindu, will get in, no questions asked. But a white vegetarian vaishnava, is not allowed in?

and people wonder why human right activists say these Jagganath Temple Priests/Staff are discriminatory bigots? Imagine a buddhist temple not letting someone in because of the color of their skin? or a christian church? The house of God should be open to all sincere seekers.. it's sick what they are doing.

In some of the temples non hindus are not allowed. And the same is noticed the action will be taken.

In all systems such things happens. In Judiciary too all crimes are not getting punished and some times people even don’t know about once crime. This is the weakness of systems.

This happened in a Hindu temple so everybody is questioning. What happened to their moral when ancient temples were destroyed in Russia Afghanistan etc.

Guest guest

In some of the temples non hindus are not allowed. And the same is noticed the action will be taken.

No one can police God's Temple, but God, since the whole world is his temple. The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof.. where can one flee from his presence?

This whole idea that they are guarding God's temple from non-Hindus shows their own lack of spiritual understanding. They actually think God is contained in a building made of hands.

As to temples like this. Anyone who sees all souls as divine sons of God (we are all God's children!), will agree spiritual places of sanctuary should be open to ALL sincere seekers, coming to seek the Lord, no matter what skin color or religion they adhere too.

There are many white Vaishnavas, including the owner of this forum. Such people should not be turned away from the Temple of the Lord because of the color of their skin. It is appalling!! Is the Lord turning these people away? or is it fuddy old uncompassionate men, lost in their stale old customs and practices?

It is not matter of differentiation or partiality. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temples</st1:place></st1:City> are a source of Positive energy. This is why while going to a temple we are felling peace of mind and happiness. Some acts like visiting a a temple without bathing. Going to a temple after eating meat of othe non vegetarian food. Throwing hair or nails, spitting in side the temple etc.

Anciant people want to avoid the same. The best way was to restrict non Hindus who doesn’t believe in all these. And they were not wrong. In the present scenario people are not ready to accept these facts and they are following the old tradition.

We need to change this slowly and steadily. And it will take time. It’s a tradition of hundreds of thousands of years.

You can see in some of the temples in north <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> there is no restriction for non Hindus. Also the big example for this is the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Temple</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Shri Dharma Shashta</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> at Shabarimala at Kerala.

You can see in some of the temples in north India there is no restriction for non Hindus. Also the big example for this is the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=<st1:country-region w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on"><ST1:PShri Dharma Shashta</ST1:P</st1:place> at Shabarimala at Kerala.

I agree with this. Arya Samaj temples, Iskcon temples, and the temples affiliated to Sree Narayana Guru, the Chinmaya Mission , the Sai baba Mission, the Amritanandamayi Mission, the Ramakrishna Mission too are open to all regardless of religion, creed, race or nationality.

Also the famous shabarimala temple is open to all people regardless of religion, creed and nationality . I remember reading in the newspaper about polish devotees taking the spiritual vows associated with going to

Shabarimala, and going there. Many muslims and christians too have gone there.

The fact that some Hindu temples bar those of other religions , is highly ironical considering the fact that both Advaita and Vishistadvaita , the most important philosophies of Hinduism, considers each and every human being to be a manifestation of God himself . So when these temples are preventing people of other religions or nationality to enter, they are actually preventing the Lord himself.

Also it is a fact that in these temples a sattvic atmosphere exists,and if people ( hindus or non-hindus) with a rajasic or tamasic mind comes over there, there is a chance that the purity of the surroundings would be violated. It is for this reason that there are strict rules among HIndus that they should not eat non-vegetarian food on the day of entering a temple and that they should also take a bath.

I think what should be done is that those foreigners who wish to enter these temples in true love and reverence should get a certificate from Iskcon or the Arya Samaj or other Hindu institutions showing that they are true devotees, and ready to abide by the rules of these temples(as I have stated above). And these foreign or non-hindu devotees should be allowed inside the temples.

In this way the temples sattvic vibrations would not be violated, and at the same time earnest devotees can worship the Lord to their hearts content.

I think this is already in practice. I remember reading in the newspaper about a white American devotee , who visited the famous Guruvayur temple in Kerala and worshipped there, after getting a certificate from the Arya Samaj , in the company of the famous yogi Sunil Das of Palakkad .

Also , I don't think Hindu temples are the only religious institutions who bar people of other religions. The Zoroastrian temples bar people of other religions from entering them.

Similarly too with Islamic mosques. And I think Jewish temples too bars people of other religions from entering them. (correct me if I am wrong).

Also , I don't think Hindu temples are the only religious institutions who bar people of other religions. The Zoroastrian temples bar people of other religions from entering them.

Similarly too with Islamic mosques. And I think Jewish temples too bars people of other religions from entering them. (correct me if I am wrong).

Which synagogues would that be? I don't think that anyone respectable is refused entry at any Hebrew house of worship. I'm not sure but I don't think that anyone is refused entry at a mosque. For sure no christian church refuses people entry [except mormons and their main temples].

Maybe temples like Puri shouldn't become tourist spots but - devotees of Krishna should not be refused - if only because of the body they are in.

Respectfully - it goes without saying that an east indian could gain entry to the temple - even if they are not hindus! So it seems that one cannot interpret the issue the same as 300 years ago - when "foreigner" meant 'non-hindu' and today when there are many indigenous indians who are no longer hindu and many "foreigners" who are.

Which synagogues would that be? I don't think that anyone respectable is refused entry at any Hebrew house of worship. I'm not sure but I don't think that anyone is refused entry at a mosque. For sure no christian church refuses people entry [except mormons and their main temples].

I checked on google. Non-muslims can enter mosques only with prior permission of Muslims if they follow certain conditions . They are not allowed to enter the Sacred Mosque in Makkah.

As for your stating that anyone can enter synagogues, I am only glad about it. I believe that all devotees should be allowed to enter temples of worship of any religion.

Guest guest

In one way, allowing everyone into the temple is perfect and god has no aversion for non hindus and he doesnot find any difference between human beings as He is SARVA VYABI (We know "Sarva Bhootha Nivasosi, Vasudeva Namosthuthey")

But entering into sanctum sanctorum is something bad. In any temple for that matter, only the Patttachariars will be inside to do the poojas.

It is exclusively to maintain some Purity (in tamil we call it as Sudham, Madi and Aacharam) in the temple.

Only then the purity of the temple can be saved and it may loose its vibrations if everybody is allowed in.

But wasting the Prasad is something which god himself will not agree.

More than the money wasted with that, the manual labour - right from the farmers till it got cooked in the temple - everything is wasted.

So by not allowing non hindus, it is right.

But wasting food is wrong!

I checked on google. Non-muslims can enter mosques only with prior permission of Muslims if they follow certain conditions . They are not allowed to enter the Sacred Mosque in Makkah.

As for your stating that anyone can enter synagogues, I am only glad about it. I believe that all devotees should be allowed to enter temples of worship of any religion.

Hare Bolo!

Not that 'i' care about that but - is that correct?

So if someone goes to a mosque say in canada or the U.S. and - he isn't muslim - they shall be turned away? I have never visited any mosque so I don't know first hand - but - it just seems odd that such a thing might happen. [places like Makkah may be different] but we're talking 'places of worship' - never heard of it in my readings before either. Paths which claim to lead to God - then advocate an act that shows otherwise have to change - any lack of openess and desire to change is the shit end of the stick no matter who is holding it...

Hare Bolo!

Not that 'i' care about that but - is that correct?

So if someone goes to a mosque say in canada or the U.S. and - he isn't muslim - they shall be turned away? I have never visited any mosque so I don't know first hand - but - it just seems odd that such a thing might happen. [places like Makkah may be different] but we're talking 'places of worship' - never heard of it in my readings before either. Paths which claim to lead to God - then advocate an act that shows otherwise have to change - any lack of openess and desire to change is the shit end of the stick no matter who is holding it...

I have got this information that non-muslims can enter a mosque only with the prior permission of muslims from an article by a prominent Saudi Arabian Islamic scholar in the internet.

However I agree with you that Jagannath puri and all temples of Krishna , should be open to non-Indians as well, who are devotees of Krishna. There is no logical reason to bar them.

All Indian hindus should create awareness of this discrimination against non-Indian devotees of Krishna, and should put pressure on the temple authorities and officials, to reconsider the laws preventing non-Indian devotees from entering temples.

We have had many other traditions which came into being due to the particular needs of certain times, and which has been successfully opposed and eradicated by Hindu reformers in later times, when these traditions and laws were no longer relevant.

And this discrimination against non-Indians is one of them. If all Indian Hindus and foreign hindus pool in their efforts and spread awareness of this and put pressure on the temple authorities , we can easily get rid of this one as well , in time, just like the other irrevalent traditions and laws before it .

...i bet that hindus who eat meat are given entry though...

LOL!!! For sure. What an example of pompous low class religiousity.

Lord Jagannatha is Lord of the universe so who needs that Puri temple to approach the Lord?

Guest guest

true, But the non-hindu westeners visit thsese shrines just for fancy without any devotion and onto tha they all beef eaters...

If a white, chinese or african Hare Krishna comes up, with a vaishnava forehead marking, shaved head and orange robe, and they are turned away - it can be nothing but bigotry.