IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Bhakta Devarsi

Preliminary Help for Meat eaters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't understand why you would want to shoot such a creature. His face is beautiful isn't it?

Bhaktatraveller, I remember as a child I was given my first gun at around nine years of age. Each year my father used to go away on shooting trips in the Outback of Australia. He used to bring home presents for me. Goat horns, goat skins, used bullets and things like that. In fact he still carries a two inch bullet hanging of his key ring.

I can remember as a child I used play in our back yard. Over the back fence there was paddocks to a river. So I used to go off hunting with my BB rifle and shoot birds. I still recall the last animal I shot. It was an australian magpie (no pun intended-or the FBI might get called:rolleyes:). They are quite a large bird, and very beautiful. After I shot it I walked up to it...it was gasping for breath as it lay dying. I think at that point (I was eleven years old) I realized that what my father was teaching me was not right. I looked into the magpies eyes, while it was dying, and it was looking back at me. I saw it's expression, it's agony and pain. I saw it was conscious and feeling. It is the last animal I ever shot.

Have you ever looked into the eyes of animals. Seen their internal expressions. Their consciousness, their minds, their feelings...their beauty.

Srila Prabhupada said this...Srila Prabhupada said that. Inability to back up with scripture, you continually say. It is all irrelevant once you see the beauty of the soul within. No need to back up with Prabhupada said...this and that.

I could post a picture of a big juicy deer steak (from google) with a side dish of potatoes and peas. But I am not that insensitive. Wake up Prabhu!

Bija, not everyone has the inner sensitivity you do. Some would look at that magpie and chuckle, sick as it may sound, I have known people like that and am grateful not to be like them.

Then there are those in between. On the bell curve.

Just imagine a person who, brainwashed since birth, has a mental block thinking they have to eat meat to survive, to be healthy, "for the protein".

They go hunting, but only do it because they are brainwashed that they MUST have meat. And they also feel that they shouldn't have anyone else do the dirty work, feel slaughterhouses are terrible, and part of their mental set is that they feel it is more self-responsible to hunt for their own survival.

They think without meat protein they and their family will not live, and it is them or the deer/elk/rabbits in the wild. They get no kick out of it. They even notice a twinge of guilt every time, but they are feeding their family. They may even say their own version of a prayer to God, and always remember to thank him at the dinner table for his bounty.

This is not hypothetical, because there are many men like that. Christian men. Many.

These are the ones who IF somehow Krsna arranged to be interested in Bhakti Yoga, might have a hard time giving it up right away.

A skilled preacher would then use Srila Prabhupada's concession, which if you read, SP said if they follow the once a month rule they will "automatically give it up" due to the restriction being a burden. And coupled with the grace of chanting the holy name, and good Vaisnava association, and some healthy prasadam, it will only be a matter of time.

With all the pseudo-imaginative and clever thoughts people have shared in order to prove that SP did not mean what he said, or some such, no one imagined who SP might have had in mind by saying such.

Such people ought to get out and experience the world a bit more instead of sitting behind a computer surfing the internet all day, and reading scripture without the life experience that helps them REALIZE what the concepts actually mean.

The concession is meant as a restriction to make them STOP eating meat.

This was SP's way of extending mercy all the way around. Not to perpetuate meat eating as the naysayers like to think.

Please understand.

Hare Krsna

What about the cow killing? do you have an answer? quote by Caturbahu dasa

I will not go into details. Personally I would rather milk cows than be involved in the cow slaughter industry. I have seen some horrific things in both industries over the years. Some real bad karma to work out. And some big lessons to be learnt. Some years ago the government here was operating job agencies for people with disability. I was more or less forced to work in a slaughter house. It is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Totally disgusting. After two months I feigned many sick days and irresponsibilities in job practice to get the sack. Bad karma indeed. Animal killing is bad business. I disgaree with your desires to promote sanctioned animal killing for devotees. Simple.

I am glad you liked my story. And yes it is sad. Something which I am not proud of. But I have learnt from circumstances and paid of the karma...which is the important thing. And love animals deeply. My dog is even vegetarian now.

Bija, not everyone has the inner sensitivity you do. Some would look at that magpie and chuckle, sick as it may sound, I have known people like that and am grateful not to be like them.

Then there are those in between. On the bell curve.

Just imagine a person who, brainwashed since birth, has a mental block thinking they have to eat meat to survive, to be healthy, "for the protein".

They go hunting, but only do it because they are brainwashed that they MUST have meat. And they also feel that they shouldn't have anyone else do the dirty work, feel slaughterhouses are terrible, and part of their mental set is that they feel it is more self-responsible to hunt for their own survival.

They think without meat protein they and their family will not live, and it is them or the deer/elk/rabbits in the wild. They get no kick out of it. They even notice a twinge of guilt every time, but they are feeding their family. They may even say their own version of a prayer to God, and always remember to thank him at the dinner table for his bounty.

This is not hypothetical, because there are many men like that. Christian men. Many.

These are the ones who IF somehow Krsna arranged to be interested in Bhakti Yoga, might have a hard time giving it up right away.

A skilled preacher would then use Srila Prabhupada's concession, which if you read, SP said if they follow the once a month rule they will "automatically give it up" due to the restriction being a burden. And coupled with the grace of chanting the holy name, and good Vaisnava association, and some healthy prasadam, it will only be a matter of time.

With all the pseudo-imaginative and clever thoughts people have shared in order to prove that SP did not mean what he said, or some such, no one imagined who SP might have had in mind by saying such.

Such people ought to get out and experience the world a bit more instead of sitting behind a computer surfing the internet all day, and reading scripture without the life experience that helps them REALIZE what the concepts actually mean.

The concession is meant as a restriction to make them STOP eating meat.

This was SP's way of extending mercy all the way around. Not to perpetuate meat eating as the naysayers like to think.

Please understand.

Hare Krsna quote by magpie lover

Yes I understand what you are saying in regards to Srila Prabhupada's mercy. From following these threads over the last weeks this extended mercy of Srila Prabhupada is very clear. Also Sri Srila Prabhupada had similar ideas.

But in regards to a devotee of many years of practice...I think this killing business is not appropriate behaviour. Am I wrong in my understanding that Caturbahu dasa still hunts?

Guest guest

Jaya Prabhupada, patita pavana & Jagad Guru.

Why not ask him Bija?

You are such a pleasure to discuss with. You are so rational and obviously a tender hearted devotee.

Please accept my highest regards.

y.s.

Mystery guest.

Thanks for the advice. Obviously from my life experience I am very passionate about caring for animals, and feel saddened from experience. Sometimes sitting and watching birds is nice. Slowing life down and appreciating Lord GaurangaKrsna in all things are special moments. Each creature is individual and full of character. Even the trees and plants are conscious...as you know.

Also I appreciate your post and know this is what Srila Prabhupada had in mind. Mercy is unlimited, and to raise all souls to higher vision is the desire of great Acarya's. But I feel these things must be taught well and by example.

Caturbahu dasa...do you still hunt animals?

I don't know what this may have to do with the subject at hand, but here you go. Sorry some of us work and can't post on demand:

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam 4.17.25

amusham kshut-paritanam

artanam paridevitam

samayishyami mad-banair

bhinnayas tava medasa

SYNONYMS

amusham -- of all of them; kshut-paritanam -- suffering from hunger; artanam -- of the distressed; paridevitam -- the lamentation; samayishyamiI shall pacify; mat-banaih -- by my arrows; bhinnayah -- being cut totava -- of you; medasa -- by the flesh.

TRANSLATION

Now, with the help of my arrows, I shall cut you -- pieces; to pieces and with your flesh satisfy the hunger-stricken citizens, who are now crying for want of grains. Thus I shall satisfy the crying citizens of my kingdom.

PURPORT

Here we find some indication of how the government can arrange for the eating of cow flesh. It is here indicated that in a rare circumstance when there is no supply of grains, the government may sanction the eating of meat. However, when there is sufficient food, the government should not allow the eating of cow's flesh just to satisfy the fastidious tongue. In other words, in rare circumstances, when people are suffering for want of grains, meat-eating or flesh-eating can be allowed, but not otherwise. The maintenance of slaughterhouses for the satisfaction of the tongue and the killing of animals unnecessarily should never be sanctioned by a government.

As described in a previous verse, cows and other animals should be given sufficient grass to eat. If despite a sufficient supply of grass a cow does not supply milk, and if there is an acute shortage of food, the dried-up cow may be utilized to feed the hungry masses of people. According to the law of necessity, first of all human society must try to produce food grains and vegetables, but if they fail in this, they can indulge in flesh-eating. Otherwise not. As human society is presently structured, there is sufficient production of grains all over the world. Therefore the opening of slaughterhouses cannot be supported. In some nations there is so much surplus grain that sometimes extra grain is thrown into the sea, and sometimes the government forbids further production of grain. The conclusion is that the earth produces sufficient grain to feed the entire population, but the distribution of this grain is restricted due to trade regulations and a desire for profit. Consequently in some places there is scarcity of grain and in others profuse production. If there were one government on the surface of the earth to handle the distribution of grain, there would be no question of scarcity, no necessity to open slaughterhouses, and no need to present false theories about over-population.

Please don't turn this into some license to eat cows in ashrams. This is the 108th post in this topic BTW.

I don't know what this may have to do with the subject at hand, but here you go. Sorry some of us work and can't post on demand:

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam 4.17.25

amusham kshut-paritanam

artanam paridevitam

samayishyami mad-banair

bhinnayas tava medasa

SYNONYMS

amusham -- of all of them; kshut-paritanam -- suffering from hunger; artanam -- of the distressed; paridevitam -- the lamentation; samayishyamiI shall pacify; mat-banaih -- by my arrows; bhinnayah -- being cut totava -- of you; medasa -- by the flesh.

TRANSLATION

Now, with the help of my arrows, I shall cut you -- pieces; to pieces and with your flesh satisfy the hunger-stricken citizens, who are now crying for want of grains. Thus I shall satisfy the crying citizens of my kingdom.

PURPORT

Here we find some indication of how the government can arrange for the eating of cow flesh. It is here indicated that in a rare circumstance when there is no supply of grains, the government may sanction the eating of meat. However, when there is sufficient food, the government should not allow the eating of cow's flesh just to satisfy the fastidious tongue. In other words, in rare circumstances, when people are suffering for want of grains, meat-eating or flesh-eating can be allowed, but not otherwise. The maintenance of slaughterhouses for the satisfaction of the tongue and the killing of animals unnecessarily should never be sanctioned by a government.

As described in a previous verse, cows and other animals should be given sufficient grass to eat. If despite a sufficient supply of grass a cow does not supply milk, and if there is an acute shortage of food, the dried-up cow may be utilized to feed the hungry masses of people. According to the law of necessity, first of all human society must try to produce food grains and vegetables, but if they fail in this, they can indulge in flesh-eating. Otherwise not. As human society is presently structured, there is sufficient production of grains all over the world. Therefore the opening of slaughterhouses cannot be supported. In some nations there is so much surplus grain that sometimes extra grain is thrown into the sea, and sometimes the government forbids further production of grain. The conclusion is that the earth produces sufficient grain to feed the entire population, but the distribution of this grain is restricted due to trade regulations and a desire for profit. Consequently in some places there is scarcity of grain and in others profuse production. If there were one government on the surface of the earth to handle the distribution of grain, there would be no question of scarcity, no necessity to open slaughterhouses, and no need to present false theories about over-population.

Please don't turn this into some license to eat cows in ashrams. This is the 108th post in this topic BTW.

This not to condone killing cows. It is emergency only, after much effort in regular activites to produce food stuff has failed.

Very good it is the only place in the Bhagvatam that a cow is killed in service to the population by a religious king.

What is the point? Get over that which you(figurative) do not know much about. Have a cool mind and study for some time before just rejecting at first glance. Re-read all these conversations in the company of others and talk about the posibility that all I and Bk Devarsi have said could be true as presented.

Instead of reading to find us wrong, switch places and read to prove us right. Try it. The initial reaction to DVD is knee jerk, jusy like the reaction to killing a cow was. But cow can be killed under the most extreme conditons. DVD is not even that extreme, it is just vedic for devotee's. And all varnas are concidered vaisnava, not just brahman.

Hare Krsna, Caturbahu das Bhakti-raja

Thanks for the advice. Obviously from my life experience I am very passionate about caring for animals, and feel saddened from experience. Sometimes sitting and watching birds is nice. Slowing life down and appreciating Lord GaurangaKrsna in all things are special moments. Each creature is individual and full of character. Even the trees and plants are conscious...as you know.

Also I appreciate your post and know this is what Srila Prabhupada had in mind. Mercy is unlimited, and to raise all souls to higher vision is the desire of great Acarya's. But I feel these things must be taught well and by example.

Caturbahu dasa...do you still hunt animals?

For the record?

CB-r

No..not for the record. I do not operate on gutter principles. But if you still hunt...I request you to please do not do this anymore. This is for our well-being as a society.

This not to condone killing cows. It is emergency only, after much effort in regular activites to produce food stuff has failed.

Very good it is the only place in the Bhagvatam that a cow is killed in service to the population by a religious king.

What is the point? Get over that which you(figurative) do not know much about. Have a cool mind and study for some time before just rejecting at first glance. Re-read all these conversations in the company of others and talk about the posibility that all I and Bk Devarsi have said could be true as presented.

Instead of reading to find us wrong, switch places and read to prove us right. Try it. The initial reaction to DVD is knee jerk, jusy like the reaction to killing a cow was. But cow can be killed under the most extreme conditons. DVD is not even that extreme, it is just vedic for devotee's. And all varnas are concidered vaisnava, not just brahman.

Hare Krsna, Caturbahu das Bhakti-raja

Ah, but try and see that I have no interest in proving you wrong. If you have the evidence that clearly, without a doubt states that eating meat as an initiated disciple is bona fide then present it. I am willing to accept it, I have no sentimental feeling against killing, my body is a battlefield as I type this, but I neither slay nor am slain. That isn't the point. The question about if the Acharya intends his disciples to eat meat based on the conversation you quoted from 74, that is the question. I haven't seen enough to suggest that it is the case. Preliminary help extends how long? 30 years into your practicing life? Is this really what he wanted or is it that you are too charmed with the thought of being a mighty king, a ksatriya? He said if they are intelligent they will realize it isn't worth it. Please with an open heart consider this.

Ah, but try and see that I have no interest in proving you wrong. If you have the evidence that clearly, without a doubt states that eating meat as an initiated disciple is bona fide then present it. I am willing to accept it, I have no sentimental feeling against killing, my body is a battlefield as I type this, but I neither slay nor am slain. That isn't the point. The question about if the Acharya intends his disciples to eat meat based on the conversation you quoted from 74, that is the question. I haven't seen enough to suggest that it is the case. Preliminary help extends how long? 30 years into your practicing life? Is this really what he wanted or is it that you are too charmed with the thought of being a mighty king, a ksatriya? He said if they are intelligent they will realize it isn't worth it. Please with an open heart consider this.

Prabhupada never said anything about 'preliminary help' Hrdayananda did....your cherry picking to prove wrong when the truth is plain.............

Prabhupada: Yes, yes. Our main aim is how to give them Krishna consciousness. But if they are already disturbed in every respect, then how they’ll take it? Therefore we are taking these subjects, to help him to come to the Krishna consciousness. And this is the method—varnasrama.

Hridayananda: So just to clarify, Prabhupada, I want to make sure I have it very clear, that if someone comes to our varnasrama college, even though this may be preliminary help, in general—you’ve made some exceptions—but in general, when they come to our college, they have to follow the four regulative principles, also learn something about Bhagavad-gita and then, side by side, they learn a...

Prabhupada: Four regulative principles compulsory.

Hridayananda: Yes.

Prabhupada: But if some of the kshatriya or the sudras, they want, so that is our prescription: “Go to the forest and kill some animal and eat that.” That’s all. You can kill one boar. Some disturbing elements, you can kill. You can kill some tiger. Like that. Learn to kill. No nonviolence. Learn to kill. Here also, as soon as you’ll find, the kshatriya, a thief, a rogue, unwanted element in the society, kill him. That’s all. Finish. Kill him. Bas. Finished. So other will see, “Oh, the ruler is very strong.” And others will... One killing will be lesson for many hundreds and thousands. No mercy. “Kill him.” That’s all. That was the system. In Kashmir about hundred years ago. If somebody has stolen, cut his hand. Bas. He cannot steal any more. So one cutting hand means finish. In that part of the world, no more stealing.

Parivrajakacarya: Would the...? The persons who would take part in such program, they would have to be devotees in the first place. Is that...?

Prabhupada: Devotees is... I have already explained. We are all devotees. Past condition, we are all devotees. We are not, we do not belong to this varnasrama. I have already told you. Suppose I am mopping. So that does not mean I am mopper. But I am teaching how to mop. This is our position.

Parivrajakacarya: So the students, also, they must all be devotees.

Prabhupada: Yes. Devotees are... That is our life and soul.

Satsvarupa: And the idea is that after they’ve finished their schooling, they would take part in ISKCON, preaching in some way as vaisya or...

Prabhupada: Yes. This preaching is also required, to make the groundwork. Because nobody’s taking care. Just like some of the devotees, great devotees, they took the profession of becoming thief. They, in South India, it was done so. They took the profession of becoming thief. So a devotee is a thief? But he took. They took it. Because nobody was paying. So they organized a plundering party. “Plunder all these big men.” Just like the politicians do. There is history. Yes. So even up to the point to become a thief, devotees took it. Yes. And the gopis, even up to the point of becoming prostitute—for Krishna. So for Krishna’s sake we have to accept any nonsense type of business. Or on the highest grade. Anything. But for Krishna we have to do that.

Hridayananda: So, Prabhupada, in our temples, we have so many devotees. Should the devotees...?

Prabhupada: They should be engaged.

Hridayananda: Should they be trained in a particular...?

Prabhupada: Yes. Those who are not able to preach or to do other things, they must go to the plough department, agriculture.

Hridayananda: Those who cannot preach.

Prabhupada: Yes. Those who are less educated, not very much expert in preaching, they must be acting as kshatriya or vaisya, or as sudra.

Hridayananda: And sometimes...

Prabhupada: :Not he’s sudra. Always remember that. But he has to act to fulfill the, fill up the gap. Proxy.

Caturbahu das Bhakti raja

Guest guest

I find it very shocking that some devotees on here are calling Prabhupada's teaching 'nonsense'

Yes meat eating is condemned in vaisnava culture and it must be given up.

But if Prabhupada is saying in his own words that some uncivilised conditioned persons are attracted to Krishna that some concessions can be given to gradually purify them...............then that is the conclusion of His Divine Grace.

Guest guest

Caturbahu das Bhakti raja Prabhu I hear you loud and clear and agree with you 100%

Again I find if shocking when devotees like Mahak completely dismiss so many quotes by Prabhupada and contradict them.

There is nothing to debate here Prabhupada made some very clear statements on the matter, his quotes are clear.

That some heavily conditioned individuals who are attracted to Krishna con. could be given some leeway so that they can gradually come to the level of the 4 regs.

Thats it bas.

Remember Srila Prabhupada had his Srila Prabhupada:

Sripad Bhakti Sudhir Goswami Maharaj]

Lecture by Sripad Bhakti Sudhir Goswami Maharaj at Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Prabhupada's Samadhi Mandir: So they [babaji line] have maintained all this time, his methods are unorthodox. He does not know properly. The Gaudiya Math Guru is a mushroom, he has no real disciplic line — but today we are all sitting here; East, West, North and South. People have come from all over the world as a result of his method. Even Srila Guru Maharaj himself said these things were a little perplexing to him.

Once Srila Saraswati Thakur said in Bombay, "I am thinking, if the Western people have some objection to coming to the Math for Hari-katha, and it is based on the restriction of the diet, we can arrange from a hotel nearby some non-vegetarian food for them."

Srila Guru Maharaj [srila Sridhar Maharaja], who is a high class Brahman Bhattacharyya was really shocked to hear this, and said, "I think the end result will be contamination in our Ashram, from this policy. We will be contaminated by implementing this."

And he said Saraswati Thakur's words struck his heart like a thunder bolt when he turned around and said: "Oh you don't know? I decided this ten thousand years ago. We have to employ Vaikuntha-vritti, if we are going to entice the Western world." And Vaikuntha-vritti means no limitation on extending; there won't be any disqualification or any limitation that will obstruct this flow, this current.

The DVD Ksatriya deer hunter fallacy is just another Prabhupada-onlyite manifestion which is akin to Rtvikism in that it divorces B.V. Swami Prabhupada from his own guru-varga.

Who set up 'Ritvikism'? Prabhupada. So you are saying Prabhupada's own system that he set up divorces Prabhupada from his own guru-varga? lol what nonsense. And please stop using this bogus term 'ritviksim' as it is a pathetic atempt to make the bonafide Ritvik System the Prabhupada put in place seem like a concoction. The term 'ritvikism' is bogus and never used by Prabhupada.

Once you get below the surface you find that they have a very prejudiced, negative view of all of Prabhupada's godbrothers and their successors in the guru varga.

Prejudiced?! Did Prabhupada also have a predudiced view when he gave orders not to associate with the Gaudia Math and that none of his godbrothers are qualified to be acharya? So following Prabhupada's orders is being predudiced and negative?

Once I was at a big North American ISKCON temple for a festival. Some Poison Theory/Rtviks were across the street dressed in battle fatigues handing out flyers. I'm sure that they were also "Survivalists" and possesed firm arms. From there it's just a small leap to deer hunting.

Right if your a Ritvik your a deerhunter now lol this is ludicrous!! utter madness!!:wacko:

I know this is an off topic and I appologise.

Hare Krishna

Just a theory but maybe these fanatics saw the movie "The Deer Hunter" from 1978. To me that movie illustrated the connection between animal killing and modern warfare. Of course the day after we saw the movie in Visalia we went shooting in Three Rivers. Boys will be boys and Ksatriyas will be kings. Oh well.:crazy2:

Guest guest

Just a theory but maybe these fanatics saw the movie "The Deer Hunter" from 1978. To me that movie illustrated the connection between animal killing and modern warfare. Of course the day after we saw the movie in Visalia we went shooting in Three Rivers. Boys will be boys and Ksatriyas will be kings. Oh well.:crazy2:

I beg you sir beggar to look in the mirror and deal with that fanatic before continuing to commit Vaisnava aparadha by projecting your own faults upon others.

Hari Bol

I beg you sir beggar to look in the mirror and deal with that fanatic before continuing to commit Vaisnava aparadha by projecting your own faults upon others.

Hari Bol

Because of your respectful tone of referring to me by my true title as Sir Beggar, I will now begin the slow, painful process of dealing with the fanatic within.:rolleyes2:

Prabhupada never said anything about 'preliminary help' Hrdayananda did....your cherry picking to prove wrong when the truth is plain.............

Ah, I never said Srila Swami Maharaj said that, it is the name of this thread, started by your buddy Bhakti Devarsi.

Guest guest

Funny how those asking for proof of questionable claims are called fanatics. Kali Yuge in full force.

Caturbahu das Bhakti raja Prabhu I hear you loud and clear and agree with you 100%

Again I find if shocking when devotees like Mahak completely dismiss so many quotes by Prabhupada and contradict them.

There is nothing to debate here Prabhupada made some very clear statements on the matter, his quotes are clear.

That some heavily conditioned individuals who are attracted to Krishna con. could be given some leeway so that they can gradually come to the level of the 4 regs.

Thats it bas.

Thank you :) I think it is quite rudimentry plain also.

CBr