IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

The business of dogs

Rate this topic

A devotee should never accept any work from non-Vaishnavas - strong words by Srila Prabhupada, but surely true. Madhya 24.325

TRANSLATION

"I am a most lowborn person. I have no knowledge of good behavior. How is it possible for me to write authorized directions about Vaiṣṇava activities?"

PURPORT

Actually Sanātana Gosvāmī belonged to a very respectable brāhmaṇa family. Nonetheless, he submitted himself as a fallen, lowborn person because he had served in the Muslim government. A brāhmaṇa is never supposed to engage in anyone's service. Serving others for a livelihood (paricaryātmakaḿ karma) is the business of śūdras. The brāhmaṇa is always independent and busy studying śāstra and preaching śāstra to subordinate social members such as kṣatriyas and vaiśyas. Sanātana Gosvāmī felt unfit to write Vaiṣṇava smṛti about the behavior of Vaiṣṇavas because he had fallen from the brahminical position. Thus Sanātana Gosvāmī clearly admits that the brahminical culture should be standardized. Presently in India, so-called brāhmaṇas are almost all engaged in some mundane service, and they do not understand the import of the Vedic śāstras. Nonetheless, they are passing themselves off as brāhmaṇas on the basis of birth. In this connection, Sanātana Gosvāmī declares that a brāhmaṇa cannot be engaged in anyone's service if he wants to take a leading part in society. In Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam Nārada Muni states that even if a brāhmaṇa is in a difficult position, he should not accept the occupation of a śūdra. This means that he should not be engaged in service for another, for this is the business of dogs. Under the circumstances, Sanātana Gosvāmī felt very low because he had accepted a position of service in the Muslim government. The conclusion is that no one should claim to be a brāhmaṇa simply by birthright while engaging in someone else's service.

A devotee should never accept any work from non-Vaishnavas - strong words by Srila Prabhupada, but surely true. Madhya 24.325

TRANSLATION

"I am a most lowborn person. I have no knowledge of good behavior. How is it possible for me to write authorized directions about Vaiṣṇava activities?"

PURPORT

Actually Sanātana Gosvāmī belonged to a very respectable brāhmaṇa family. Nonetheless, he submitted himself as a fallen, lowborn person because he had served in the Muslim government. A brāhmaṇa is never supposed to engage in anyone's service. Serving others for a livelihood (paricaryātmakaḿ karma) is the business of śūdras. The brāhmaṇa is always independent and busy studying śāstra and preaching śāstra to subordinate social members such as kṣatriyas and vaiśyas. Sanātana Gosvāmī felt unfit to write Vaiṣṇava smṛti about the behavior of Vaiṣṇavas because he had fallen from the brahminical position. Thus Sanātana Gosvāmī clearly admits that the brahminical culture should be standardized. Presently in India, so-called brāhmaṇas are almost all engaged in some mundane service, and they do not understand the import of the Vedic śāstras. Nonetheless, they are passing themselves off as brāhmaṇas on the basis of birth. In this connection, Sanātana Gosvāmī declares that a brāhmaṇa cannot be engaged in anyone's service if he wants to take a leading part in society. In Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam Nārada Muni states that even if a brāhmaṇa is in a difficult position, he should not accept the occupation of a śūdra. This means that he should not be engaged in service for another, for this is the business of dogs. Under the circumstances, Sanātana Gosvāmī felt very low because he had accepted a position of service in the Muslim government. The conclusion is that no one should claim to be a brāhmaṇa simply by birthright while engaging in someone else's service.

It says brahmana not Vaisnava. Actually the vaisnava is not a brahmana but playing that role. I'm sure the DVD police will be here soon to put the house in order :crazy: Basically someone that is a true brahmana (or acting in that capacity) should be engaged in the proper business, not working in a factory or something. In Bhagavad Gita it says it is better to do your own duty:

śreyān sva-dharmo viguṇaḥ

para-dharmāt sv-anuṣṭhitāt

sva-dharme nidhanaṁ śreyaḥ

para-dharmo bhayāvahaḥ

Audio

SYNONYMS

śreyān—far better; sva-dharmaḥ—one's prescribed duties; viguṇaḥ—even faulty; para-dharmāt—than duties mentioned for others; su-anuṣṭhitāt—perfectly done; sva-dharme—in one's prescribed duties; nidhanam—destruction; śreyaḥ—better; para-dharmaḥ—duties prescribed for others; bhaya-āvahaḥ—dangerous.

TRANSLATION

It is far better to discharge one's prescribed duties, even though faultily, than another's duties perfectly. Destruction in the course of performing one's own duty is better than engaging in another's duties, for to follow another's path is dangerous.

PURPORT

One should therefore discharge his prescribed duties in full Kṛṣṇa consciousness rather than those prescribed for others. Materially, prescribed duties are duties enjoined according to one's psychophysical condition, under the spell of the modes of material nature. Spiritual duties are as ordered by the spiritual master for the transcendental service of Kṛṣṇa. But whether material or spiritual, one should stick to his prescribed duties even up to death, rather than imitate another's prescribed duties. Duties on the spiritual platform and duties on the material platform may be different, but the principle of following the authorized direction is always good for the performer. When one is under the spell of the modes of material nature, one should follow the prescribed rules for his particular situation and should not imitate others. For example, a brāhmaṇa, who is in the mode of goodness, is nonviolent, whereas a kṣatriya, who is in the mode of passion, is allowed to be violent. As such, for a kṣatriya it is better to be vanquished following the rules of violence than to imitate a brāhmaṇa who follows the principles of nonviolence. Everyone has to cleanse his heart by a gradual process, not abruptly. However, when one transcends the modes of material nature and is fully situated in Kṛṣṇa consciousness, he can perform anything and everything under the direction of a bona fide spiritual master. In that complete stage of Kṛṣṇa consciousness, the kṣatriya may act as a brāhmaṇa, or a brāhmaṇa may act as a kṣatriya. In the transcendental stage, the distinctions of the material world do not apply. For example, Viśvāmitra was originally a kṣatriya, but later on he acted as a brāhmaṇa, whereas Paraśurāma was a brāhmaṇa but later on he acted as a kṣatriya. Being transcendentally situated, they could do so; but as long as one is on the material platform, he must perform his duties according to the modes of material nature. At the same time, he must have a full sense of Kṛṣṇa consciousness. [As-They-Surrender-Unto-Me ]

Guest guest

In Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam Nārada Muni states that even if a brāhmaṇa is in a difficult position, he should not accept the occupation of a śūdra. This means that he should not be engaged in service for another, for this is the business of dogs.

Comparing sudras to dogs does not help if one is trying to establish varnashrama dharma. No wonder nobody wants to be a sudra in Iskcon.

Comparing sudras to dogs does not help if one is trying to establish varnashrama dharma. No wonder nobody wants to be a sudra in Iskcon.

“First of all pay the fee; then you can come and learn Bhagavad-gita.” We never say that. But these so-called teachers who first of all bargain for a salary—“What salary will you give me?”—that is a dog’s concern. That is not a brahmana’s concern. A brahmana will never ask about a salary. A brahmana is eager to see that people are educated. “Take free education and be educated; be a human being”—this is a brahmana’s concern: You see? I came here not to ask for any money but to give instruction

Sudra is not dog. The brahmana that takes a salary is a dog.

CBr

Guest guest

Another lame attempt at twisting the direct meaning of this passage...

"he should not be engaged in service for another, for this is the business of dogs"

Actually the faithful service of a dog is something respectable, just like a good sudra is respectable.

In the Jyotish-Lalkitab,the meaning of Dog is Ketu,and there are three type dogs everyone have,like "Sasural mai Janwaai Kutta,Bahin ke Ghar bhai Kutta,Mama ke ghar Bhanja Kutta." then how Dog is Sudra.other name is "Darvesh".Ketu is Ganeshji,Rahu is Sarswati,Venus is Laxmi,all three deities are head in Deepawali Pooja.Ketu is Sadhan,Rahu is Viddhya,Venus is metrial wealth.

Another lame attempt at twisting the direct meaning of this passage...

"he should not be engaged in service for another, for this is the business of dogs"

Actually the faithful service of a dog is something respectable, just like a good sudra is respectable.

The lame attempt is yours. I repeated as the purport I sited had said. No different, in line with the topic and the post before mine.

Hare Krsna, Caturbahu das Bhatki

So if I am employed by an non devotee, it's bad thing? Sheesh....devotees can come out with some silly statements.

I work in education. Is this a bad thing? My job doesn't affect my bhakti.

Is ripping off the public with scams such as selling Hong Kong paintings brahminical? I would rather work with non-devotees than with "devotee" scammers. Scamming is dishonest.

So if I am employed by an non devotee, it's bad thing? Sheesh....devotees can come out with some silly statements.

I work in education. Is this a bad thing? My job doesn't affect my bhakti.

Is ripping off the public with scams such as selling Hong Kong paintings brahminical? I would rather work with non-devotees than with "devotee" scammers. Scamming is dishonest.

Best to work with devotees, but many times that proves difficult. So why not anyone then? Yes, one can work for a non devotee.

'Education' meaning? No matter. Sure a job is a job unless it is like a slaughterhouse!

Why is selling Hong Kong paintings a scam? Because there is lieing? Grow up. But low sell high. It is rudimentry. Vaishyas are not brahmans, they lie to make profit, it is done in every selling type business. This is not a scam! And not against our principles.

Hare Krsna, Caturbahu das Bhakti raja

Guest guest

'Education' meaning? No matter. Sure a job is a job unless it is like a slaughterhouse!

Why is selling Hong Kong paintings a scam? Because there is lieing? Grow up. But low sell high. It is rudimentry. Vaishyas are not brahmans, they lie to make profit, it is done in every selling type business. This is not a scam! And not against our principles.

How sad it is to see those who think themselves superior for slaughtering the truth, even while deriding those who slaughter the cow.

Guest guest

Good catch CB prabhu. Though I disagree with you about animal killing & meat eating, I must say you have a keen eye.

“First of all pay the fee; then you can come and learn Bhagavad-gita.” We never say that. But these so-called teachers who first of all bargain for a salary—“What salary will you give me?”—that is a dog’s concern. That is not a brahmana’s concern. A brahmana will never ask about a salary. A brahmana is eager to see that people are educated. “Take free education and be educated; be a human being”—this is a brahmana’s concern: You see? I came here not to ask for any money but to give instruction

CBr