IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
brajeshwara das

Burglary

Rate this topic

My inlaws' home was burglarized this evening, my wife is understandably shaken, not from the loss of property (including her wedding ring) but the invasion. I'm not disturbed, but I'm afraid my condolences are too detached for this emotional time for her and her family.

I found this by Srila Swami Maharaj:

There is a Bengali proverb that how God works, that one man, a householder is praying to God, "My dear Lord, there may not be any theft case, burglary, in my home this night. Please save me." So one man is praying prayer, praying like that. Another man is praying, the thief, "My dear Lord, this night I shall commit burglary in that house. Please help me to get something." Now, what is Kṛṣṇa's position? (laughter) Kṛṣṇa is everyone's heart. So Kṛṣṇa has to satisfy so many prayers. The burglar and the thief and the householder, so many prayers. So Kṛṣṇa's adjustment... But He's still... That is Kṛṣṇa's intelligence, how He adjusts. He gives everyone freedom. And everyone is given facilities, but still He's in botheration. Therefore Kṛṣṇa advises to his devotees that "Don't plan anything. You rascal, you nonsense, you don't give Me trouble. (laughter) Please surrender unto Me. Just go under My plan; you'll be happy. You are making plan, you are unhappy; I am also unhappy. I am also unhappy. (laughter) So many plans are coming daily, and I'll have to fulfill." But He's merciful. If a... Ye yathā māṁ prapadyante tāṁs... [bg. 4.11].

It was funny that all yesterday and today I have been thinking of Jesus' teaching not to build your treasure on Earth where moths and dust corrupt, and theives break through and steal, but to build your treasure in the Kingdom of God. Then tonight there was a burglary where they broke all the material possesions of her materially poor family, ripped up all the furniture and every treasure was touched and stolen. My thinking turned to the Kingdom of God to give them comfort. I hope they can appreciate that. It feels like Guru had been preparing me for this, so much mercy is here, I just need to find the way to share it. Any advice is welcome.

Saddened to here this news. It must be awful for them to feel they have been invaded in this way. A difficult time for them for sure.

Just now I have finished watching the nightly news. Here in Melbourne thieves broke into an elderly 84 year old gentlemans house. Stole a couple of hundred dollars worth of things...then burnt the house up. The elderly gentleman (not wealthy) lost all his possessions including his treasured photos of his deceased wife and son. And his simple home.

My advice would be to give them support and understanding the best way you know how. Nurture empathy within and allow them to express their feelings...this will resound with them.

Saddened to here this news. It must be awful for them to feel they have been invaded in this way. A difficult time for them for sure.

Just now I have finished watching the nightly news. Here in Melbourne thieves broke into an elderly 84 year old gentlemans house. Stole a couple of hundred dollars worth of things...then burnt the house up. The elderly gentleman (not wealthy) lost all his possessions including his treasured photos of his deceased wife and son. And his simple home.

Yes, but some debt has been paid, and some mercy is there if they can find it. I hope we can rejoice over this someday as fortune instead. They are Chinese and this happened right after the New Year, it is probably particularly inauspicious to them. Two other homes in as many days were robbed in the same complex, targeting Chinese since they keep a lot of money at home. My mother in law is very poor but frugal and helped us buy our home. If she hadn't that money likely would have been stolen as well.

Dayal Nitai, may we all escape this world and sing the names of the Lord together.

They most likely will go through a period of grief and loss. It is important for them to be allowed to experience these emotions. Essential for well being.

Realization of mercy may possibly come in it's own perfect timing and way.

The best thing you can do is understand what they are experiencing in their minds and allow them to...how do you say...grow through the experience.

Just some thoughts.

Sorry I can't give you a more concise Krsna conscious definition. Mercy has it's perfect timing for everyone. I have experienced loss in my life and this is what I went through. Growth takes time.

They most likely will go through a period of grief and loss. It is important for them to be allowed to experience these emotions. Essential for well being.

Realization of mercy may possibly come in it's own perfect timing and way.

The best thing you can do is understand what they are experiencing in their minds and allow them to...how do you say...grow through the experience.

Just some thoughts.

Sorry I can't give you a more concise Krsna conscious definition. Mercy has it's perfect timing for everyone. I have experienced loss in my life and this is what I went through. Growth takes time.

Thank you prabhu, that really helps.

Haribol!

I'm sorry to hear about this, Prabhu.

Were the family in the house when the theft too place? I get the feeling they were not. If this is so then remind them that it was through Krishna's mercy that they were not in the house when the burglary took place. Otherwise who knows what might have happened. They are safe and together and that is what matters.

Once, my sister returned home from a trip to India. She was jetlagged and forgot that she'd left the key in the front door. She went inside and fell asleep on the sofa and while she was sleeping, a burglar came into our house and stole her luggage. She lost her passport, her cards, everything. Still, we were thankful that she'd not been harmed, as she'd been helpless and asleep. They could have done anything to her. So remember that it is only through Krishna's mercy that we are saved from these disasters.

Also, remind them that this is just an extreme form of the thieving that takes place everyday by the banks, the government, even by other family members. Everyone is always trying to take advantage over us. We can only be steady and have faith in the power of Krishna to protect us.

Someone is bound to steal something from you, so why not let Krishna steal your heart?

Haribol!

Jai

Someone is bound to steal something from you, so why not let Krishna steal your heart?

Yeah :) I'm also a bit more concerned with the advantage I try to take over others personally. I try and think the people stealing stuff on the outside is an illusion, since everything really belongs to Krishna.

Guest guest

We are burgaled, and violated, but we see the whole picture.

That invader stole my computer, my VCR (see how out of date I am), my CD collection, but he also got what he did not bargain for. He took that black cloud hanging over my head. Now he has to deal with it, because I have paid in full, and my black cloud is gone.

Two sides to every coin, at least this is the way I look at kali yuga activities Im burdened with.

It still hurts.

mahak

We are burgaled, and violated, but we see the whole picture.

That invader stole my computer, my VCR (see how out of date I am), my CD collection, but he also got what he did not bargain for. He took that black cloud hanging over my head. Now he has to deal with it, because I have paid in full, and my black cloud is gone.

Two sides to every coin, at least this is the way I look at kali yuga activities Im burdened with.

It still hurts.

mahak

Hey, now you have an excuse to buy a new TV and DVD player! :rolleyes:

Hari Hari bol!

Jai

Or Krsna is telling you you shouldn't have a TV and VCR. I won't say anything against DVD players or risk incurring the wrath of you know who. ;)

The possibilities for interpretation are endless, aren't they? Personally I can't wait until we get to play films from thumb drives. That would be cool! And think of the storage space we'd save on our shelves.

Jai Shri Hari, creator of thumb drives.

Jai

The possibilities for interpretation are endless, aren't they? Personally I can't wait until we get to play films from thumb drives. That would be cool! And think of the storage space we'd save on our shelves.

Jai Shri Hari, creator of thumb drives.

Jai

I store videos on SD cards, a 2 GB SD card holds up to 4 full length movies! Size of a postage stamp, and play nicely on my Palm pilot. I also have converted videos to play on my cell phone. We are nearly there.

Guest guest

All my movies are on VCR. I got another brand new one for $30. VCR is actually better than DVD. Some movies dont come in DVD. DVDs break down all the time, not meant for this age of confused and quarrelsome folks. This is the age of holding onto ones hat while the planet goes thru convulsions.

Are we speaking about the same stuff? Did someone lose their DVD? Well, I like standing orders better than final orders, anyway. There is a V-aisnava C-ooperation R-equirement that trumps all other orders, solid, and not complicated at all, no systemic approvals needed from all the componants, either.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa