IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
brajeshwara das

Transcendental entertainment?

Rate this topic

Can anyone recommend any good transcendentally- focused movies? I know some will be totally opposed to the idea, but hey, I'm definitely not a surrendered soul and my wife wants to sit with me and watch a movie regularly. She isn't very inclined to spiritual life so I'd like some recommendations on movies that may be good just from a God-consciousness platform, to help open her heart up a bit. I doubt I'll get her to sit through a Hindi movie unless there is Bollywood-type dancing etc :eek: so please keepo that in mind.

Anyway, I know it is nonsense but you have to start somewhere. I had blooped out for a long time, gotten married to a woman that wasn't on that trip, and can't really impose Krishna Consciousness forcefully on her. She is a good person and just needs some gentle encouragement.

Guest guest

We all got lots, and they all are watched with the attitude that Krsna is the ability in humankind, meaning writers, actors, directors, etc.

My dearmost internet associate, Sri gHari, of massively important Kingdom of Goid website, made me watch Bagger Vance, and this was an awesome movie. I always recommend Johnny Depps many great movies, such as his best (Dead Man), followed by scissorshand, don juan di marco. Other movies like Jacobs Ladder, have significant truth mixed with sad politics, out of body associations are covered in movies like the fight club, etc.

I guess Id first recommend Dead Man, because of the music by neil young, just guitar, very awesome soundtrack.

Haribol, we do movie reviews on the world events section.

Ys mahaksadasa

Can anyone recommend any good transcendentally- focused movies? I know some will be totally opposed to the idea, but hey, I'm definitely not a surrendered soul and my wife wants to sit with me and watch a movie regularly. She isn't very inclined to spiritual life so I'd like some recommendations on movies that may be good just from a God-consciousness platform, to help open her heart up a bit. I doubt I'll get her to sit through a Hindi movie unless there is Bollywood-type dancing etc :eek: so please keepo that in mind.

Anyway, I know it is nonsense but you have to start somewhere. I had blooped out for a long time, gotten married to a woman that wasn't on that trip, and can't really impose Krishna Consciousness forcefully on her. She is a good person and just needs some gentle encouragement.

The first one that came to mind was a comedy called Bruce Almighty which starred Jim Carrey. I did not see but a few scenes, but I know it was about God.

...seeing Krsna in the Dead is skillful Krsna consciousness.

By the way Braj...in early 93' while I was having a bit of look around at the big wide world...I ended up in San Francisco (then my desired spiritual home). Somehow, somewhere, saw Jerry in concert in a big outdoor stadium. Enjoyed that alot.

Lagaan :) pure Bollywood.

CB-r

Whalerider:click here

is a good New Zealand movie. It deals with the traditional values handed down

in old cultures. Not so religious in it's context...but spiritual in it's own way. Highly recommend this film. Check out the clip in the website for preview. The young girl is brilliant in this film.

...seeing Krsna in the Dead is skillful Krsna consciousness.

By the way Braj...in early 93' while I was having a bit of look around at the big wide world...I ended up in San Francisco (then my desired spiritual home). Somehow, somewhere, saw Jerry in concert in a big outdoor stadium. Enjoyed that alot.

Shoreline Amphitheater. I was there in 93. Very nice crowd, Awesome shows. I miss those days, footloose and fancy free spiritwalking around the PNW.

Talk about a community vibe, and the family are nomads. Its all in the attitude really.

That was it...Shoreline. A real family affair. Lots of families with kids to parents dressed in tie-dye. It was all a bit surreal at the time. Surely a free spirit back then. Never forget this concert.

I liked The Cup for it's simplicity. And also it's lighthearted look at the religious life. Which is healthy.

If you can get hold of Whale Rider give it a look. I reckon you and your partner may possibly like it...at a guess. Good message in it.

Shoreline Amphitheater. I was there in 93. Very nice crowd, Awesome shows. I miss those days, footloose and fancy free spiritwalking around the PNW.

Talk about a community vibe, and the family are nomads. Its all in the attitude really.

There are so many Deadheads in my Math, I'm sure in ISKCON too. The community was great that it opened up to any idea that wasn't outright violent.

I did have one very bad experience though with a devotee on tour: I was at Star Lake in Pennsylvania 92 Summer tour, and a devotee came up to me and gave me a book, asked me if I would read it and I was very happy and said yes, of course, I would be honored. Then he asked for a donation. At the time I was begging literally for my own food, relying on the kindness of others just to exist. I was in a sort of agnostic renunciate trip, though I would work when necessary and didn't want to stop being ala mayavadis. I just wanted to dance with God at a Dead show. But the devotee took back the book, upset at me that I couldn't pay for it, and I was like 'man, he has no clue'. Ever since then I have always bought the books I would distribute from the temple and give them freely, and any donation that could be given was great. The books themselves are like the remnants of my purchase, and I just want the recipient to get the mercy. That prabhu I guess was used in Krsna's sevice in a way neither of us saw that day.

Whalerider:click here

is a good New Zealand movie. It deals with the traditional values handed down

in old cultures. Not so religious in it's context...but spiritual in it's own way. Highly recommend this film. Check out the clip in the website for preview. The young girl is brilliant in this film.

Yep, saw it, wonderful film!

braj, That old iskcon trip has been around for decades. It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth even if they can pony up for the book. Something about making someone think you are giving them a gift as a way to obligate them into paying for it that really does turn everyone off.

braj, That old iskcon trip has been around for decades. It leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth even if they can pony up for the book. Something about making someone think you are giving them a gift as a way to obligate them into paying for it that really does turn everyone off.

Yeah, but I'm finding the environment very friendly, I just need to try and see Krsna there, playing tricks on me and teaching me lessons, even when they are what not to do. Maybe those are the most important lessons of all. I'm sure that prabhu was honestly trying to serve. It makes me think in a way of Srila Sridhar Maharaj's interpretation of Judas and Christ (not saying the devotee was a judas at all):

Srila Guru Maharaj: Do you know of Judas in the Christian

teachings?

Disciple: Yes, he betrayed Jesus.

Srila Guru Maharaj: When Jesus was praying in the garden before

his crucifixion, Judas approached him with the scribes and priests in

order to betray him, identifying that Messiah with a kiss. Suddenly,

Jesus cast his glance towards Judas in such an impressive way – he

penetrated Judas. And Judas thought to himself, “I am caught, I shall

be responsible for Jesus Christ’s demise,” but still Jesus’ vision to me

was something more like: “I am exploiting you Judas. It is not that

you are exploiting me, rather I am utilising you as a traitor to show the

greatness of my life to the future world.”

Jesus has already said (at his last supper), “Amongst these

twelve disciples one will betray me.” He knew. Judas had been there

then and Jesus had cast his glance towards Judas. Then later, when

Judas came with the soldiers and scribes to the garden of Gethsemene

to capture him, Jesus had cast his glance towards Judas once again and

was thinking, “You think you are exploiting me for some money but I

am exploiting you for eternity. You have to stand out as a sinful

person against me, I knew you were a traitor, but I did not disclose

you. I still took you within my group of followers knowing full well

that I am exploiting you.” The look of Jesus was like that.

Judas was crazed. He threw away the sack of silver. He ran to

the authorities and said, “I have committed the worst sin, I cannot

tolerate it!”

Judas’ energy was drunk, his spirit was drawn. Just like in

Jujitsu, when someone attacks the opposition with great force, but the

opposition suddenly withdraws, causing the attacking person to fall on

their face – Judas found himself in that sort of position. Jesus was

exchanging love for betrayal. It was the sort of love that disarmed and

sent Judas mad. “I treated him so wickedly, yet his look is not one of

vindictiveness but of infinite gratitude. That sort of look Jesus cast

upon me.”

In the perfect vision, in the full-fledged consideration, every

atom is helping the Pastimes of Krishna. Whether it is direct or

indirect – and although it seems to be indirect at present – a deeper

vision will reveal that it is coming towards direct service.

Friday, April 7, 2006 'Gospel of Judas' gives new view of Jesus' betrayer

Judas Iscariot, vilified as Christ's betrayer, acted at Jesus' request in turning him over to the authorities who crucified him, according to a 1,700-year-old copy of the "Gospel of Judas".

In an alternative view to traditional Christian teaching, the Judas gospel shows the reviled disciple as the only one in Jesus' inner circle who understood his desire to shed his earthly body.

"He's the good guy in this portrayal," said Bart Ehrman, a religion professor at the University of North Carolina in the US.

"He's the only apostle who understands Jesus."

The Judas gospel's introduction says it is "the secret account of the revelation that Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot".

Later, it quotes Jesus as saying to Judas: "You will exceed all of them (the other disciples) for you will sacrifice the man who clothes me."

Professor Ehrman says the gospel suggests that Judas was a "trapped spirit".

"And salvation comes when we escape the materiality of our existence and Judas is the one who makes it possible for him to escape by allowing for his body to be killed."

Rev Donald Senior, president of Catholic Theological Union in Chicago, says the document reveals the diversity and vitality in early Christianity.

"The question becomes ... does this tradition, this alternative story, if you like, in the gospel of Judas have a claim that in some sense is equal to the rival claim of the gospel tradition?" he said.

The Judas gospel is being published in book form by National Geographic and pages from the papyrus manuscript will be on display at the society's museum in Washington.

The manuscript will ultimately be housed at the Coptic Museum in Cairo.

-Reuters

A fewmovies I watched as a bramachari:

Bicentenial Man - Robin Williams is a robot with a heart, where he tries to become human and evolve over time. At the end of the movie he is finally really human because he is biologically recognized by humans as human. My Godbrother and I walked away thinking these people know nothing, the key is that he was conscious and that was above being human. That consciousness came from somewhere, where was that? It was never explored in the movie. It could have been a really deep movie but instead was a body-worshiping fairy tale. Pinochio for the modern age. Arthur C Clarke was the auther, or maybe Iassic Asminov, I forget.

The Matrix - really cool, reality is not what you think it is, everything is an illurion, you are a slave to the illusion, you must fight to be free. Once free you have to serve the highest good and free others from the illusion. You have to become a slave to the highest good, or ultimately the forces of illusion will kill you. There is the guy who would rather go back to the illusion because he would rather reign in hell than serve in heaven. I was very impressed by this at the time, I thought it was a great way to relate Vaisnava concepts to a modern society that didn't have the 'ears to hear' without special effects and 5.1 surround sound.

Star Wars - Attack of the Clones - After an exhaustive sankirtan road trip vending food at a bluergrass festival, we went to see this, and though I have no real insight beyond the Guru/disciple relationships, ksatriya system, they did sport sikhas which we got a great kick out of, and Jar Jar reminded me of myself as a dreaddy hippy.

Guest guest

Try watching Banaras. Great movie, and it is a mystic love story.

Also, there's the Matrix trilogy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy (the Matrix trilogy deals with transcendence directly and at its core is about Vedic philosophy), Star Wars trilogy, and even Unbreakable by M. Night Shyamalan has some Vedic elements to it (He's Hindu, so most of his movies have elements of this, but Unbreakable's his best movie, IMHO and the one most heavily influenced by the Bhagavad-Gita).

Guest guest

Tank Girl.

Le Valley (Obscured By Clouds)

Stop Making Sense

Run Lola Run

In Gods Hands

The Wall

Rust Never Sleeps

Young Einstein (for aussies and canadians only)

Every one of these movies had effect on me personally. Dont ask about records, too many to even remember, but that wont prevent me from trying.

Speaking of deadheads, the ones from my generation flew jefferson airplane, they didnt separate groups, started in golden gate park and culminated in the great compilations of Blows against the empire, and if only I could remember my name.

Imagine a group composed of Quicksilver, the airplane, the dead, joni mitchell. Imagine, on stage, from left to right, jerry, bob, jorma, carlos, kreutzman, lesh, cassidy, grace, joni, cippolina, duncan, elmore, hart, and this is just the first row. Crosby, young, and even buffy was there too. Earl Warren Showgrounds, the baby tree.

Dyall remember the groups Hot Tuna and NRPS. These groups were formed because jerry and bob and the drummers werent through when the dead went to sleep. When the airplane landed, hot tuna took off, first with the great harmonica player will scarlett, and then with the incomparable Papa John Creech. I had the pleasure of giving John Cippolina a set of japa beads at pipeline on the north shore when he was there with copperhead, good guy, very great band, that quicksilver was. Nicky Hopkins added so much on shady grove.

Stop me, gHari......before I start talking about traffic, spirit, floyd, talking heads, the clash, PIL.

Haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

See tank girl, pure entertainment, a new wave road warrior. Kicks Mel's you-know-what.

I had the pleasure of giving John Cippolina a set of japa beads at pipeline on the north shore when he was there with copperhead, good guy, very great band, that quicksilver was.

Cool. I used to go see Zero a lot, unfortunately after he passed from this world. I hope he chanted on the mala a bit before he left.