IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

who was Srila Prabhupada in the spiritual world?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

does anyone know? Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura was Kamala manjari, and Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati was Nyana Manjari- but who is Prabhupada?

Guest guest

One time there was some discussion amongst some of ISKCON's leaders about what they felt was the distinct possibility that Srila Prabhupada is actually a cowherd boy in the Spiritual World. When informed of this Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja remarked, "No, no, no, he is actually a gopi."

Guest guest

Swami B. V. Tripuari

Volume II, No. 27

Srila Prabhupada: Sakhya or Srngara-rasa?

"My statement is supportable by sadhu and sastra, and does not involve belittling Srila Prabhupada in any way. This was the opinion of Om Visnupada Bhakti Raksaka Sridharadeva Goswami Maharaja and it is full of spiritual reasoning."

Q&A discussion with Swami B.V. Tripurari.

Q. Jadurani dasi recently wrote an article for VNN entitled 'Is Srila Prabhupada in the highest rasa?' in which she attempts to refute your article 'Prabhupada, Subala and Sakhya-Rasa'. Have you read it?

A. Yes, I just read her article with interest. While Jadurani devi informs us that we are not to conjecture as to Srila Prabhupada's relationship with Krsna, but rather hear from disciplic succession and sastra, she proceeds to conjecture about this very thing herself (while marshaling some sastra in support of her conjecture and citing the opinion of Pujyapada B.V. Narayana Maharaja).

She is not to be faulted for this (as she has faulted me) because the use of reason in conjunction with scripture and the words of saints is not what is rejected in the sutra of Vyasa that she cited (tarko 'pratisthanat). The spirit of this sutra is that reason when not supported by sastra is inconclusive.

My statement in the article 'Prabhupada, Subala and Sakhya-Rasa' that it is reasonable to conjecture that Prabhupada may be situated in sakhya-rasa (like Subala) is supportable by sadhu and sastra, and it does not involve belittling him in any way whatsoever, as one might think after reading Srimati Jadurani's article. This was the opinion of Om Visnupada Bhakti Raksaka Sridharadeva Goswami Maharaja. Indeed, I have merely paraphrased his own words, which are full of spiritual reasoning.

Scripture says nothing to us that would rule out the possibility that Prabhupada may be situated in sakhya-rasa. Furthermore, a careful reading of my words reveal that I have also said, repeating what I have heard from my siksa-guru, that it is possible that Prabhupada is situated in srngara-rasa, yet owing to his empowerment by Nityananda prabhu and out of deference to him, he veiled his madhurya sentiments, and this empowerment explains why we find expressions of sakhya-bhava in his words and character here and there.

Thus I tried to offer a balanced, neutral reply to the inquiry that gave rise to my article.

It should be noted that it is possible that one disciple may experience his Gurudeva as a representative of srngara-rasa, while another will experience him as representing Subala in sakhya-rasa. This is discussed in Jaiva Dharma. So, if some of Prabhupada's disciples experience the influence of sakhya-bhava in Srila Prabhupada and are inspired by this, there is no harm. Let their ruci be their guide.

It is important in a discussion like this that we do not denigrate something so wonderful as sakhya-rasa. If Prabhupada is so situated, it is not a bad thing. One should be so lucky as to find this kind of guru in our times, a prema-bhakta. If we have taken initiation from a guru situated in sakhya-rasa and we are destined for gopi-bhava, our gurudeva will make all necessary arrangements for us when necessary.

Some disciples may be in his group, while others may be recruited by him for the sampradaya in general, and as a dutiful servant he will place them where they need to be to make progress in due course.

I am well aware of the opinion of Pujyapada Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja on this issue, and I thank Srimati Jadurani for sharing it in print. It no doubt has merit and is evidence of strong spiritual feeling on his part.

This is what we are all after--strong feelings on matters of this nature. However, one of the hallmarks of our tradition is that it accommodates a variety of such feelings.

I do not care to debate this issue further, either in private or public. In conclusion, I assure you that if a disciple of Srila Prabhupada is drawn to sakhya-rasa with the sentiment of a priya-narma-sakha, he or she would have no difficulty providing considerable evidence in support of the experience that Srila Prabhupada represents this bhava. The reason for this is that in spiritual life reason and scriptural interpretation ultimately follow feeling (ruci/bhava).

Swami B.V. Tripurari

Additional notes on Jadurani dasi's article:

Srimati Jadurani has said 'Pujyapada Tripurari Maharaja has given a poem about Subala-sakha serving in the forest bowers (kunjas), though he did not give a sastric reference for that poem. A cowherd boy would not sing this song.'

Note: This is a verse from Rupa Goswami's Ujjvala-nilamani chapter two, verse 14. In this chapter the extent to which Krsna's friends are involved in madhurya-rasa is explained. Subala's friendly love for Krsna is very much involved in this, to the extent that Rupa Goswami has called it "sakhi-bhava" in his Radha-Krsna Gonnodesa dipika.

Jadurani devi: 'We do not know of a single instance where an acarya in our Rupanuga line has a different svarupa and service from that of his guru, in whose footsteps he follows.'

Note: Prabhupada says in SB 2.9.30 that 'Lord Brahma is definitely situated in the humor of friendship with the Lord. . . It is clearly exhibited herein that Lord Brahma is related to the Personality of Godhead in the transcendental humor of friendship.'

We also find that devotees such as Akincana Krsandasa babaji Maharaja, a disciple of Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura whom I have been told accepted one disciple before leaving the world, was situated in sakhya-rasa, although his Gurudeva was in manjari-bhava. Sripada Narayana Maharaja personally confirmed this to me when I discussed it with him.

He told me that Babaji Maharaja personally told this to him. So there are exceptions to the norm, as in all cases.

Jadurani devi said that the gopala-mantra and kama-gayatri are not for any other mood than madhurya rasa. However, Gopa Kumara of Sanatana Goswami's seminal Brhat Bhagavatamrta chanted the Gopala mantra (the gayatri that corresponds with this is kama-gayatri) and attained sakhya-rasa. Sripada Narayana Maharaja himself has explained the possibility of chanting the Gopala-mantra and attaining sakhya-rasa by placing emphasis on the name govinda over gopi-jana-vallabha.

Jadurani devi has quoted me thus: 'Pujyapada Tripurari Maharaja writes: "Thus it is reasonable to conjecture that Om Visnupada A.C. Bhaktivedanta Srila Prabhupada, who established the worship of Radha Krsna, Gaura Nitai, and Krsna Balarama so widely, was himself influenced by the bhava of a priya-narma-sakha, either directly or indirectly, owing to the influence of his empowerment by Nityananda Prabhu. In the case of the latter possibility, his affinity for madhurya would have been veiled to some extent."

It is clear from her explanation/refutation of this statement that Jadurani devi has not understood my comments. I have explained them above in paragraphs two and three.

Jadurani devi cites Prabhupada's poem aboard the Jaladuta, wherein he appears to aspire to enter Krsna-lila in sakhya-rasa. She says that this need not be construed to indicate that Prabhupada is in sakhya-rasa, because Radharani may also sometimes desire to love Krsna in the mood of a friend.

However, although it is true that Sri Radha may feel like this at times, it would in the very least be odd for one aspiring to enter Krsna lila in manjari-bhava to pray like this.

Srimati Jadurani's citation of Prabhupada's own explanation of why he established the Krsna-Balarama temple in Vrndavana is telling to the discerning reader. It is less than supportive of her premise.

Overall she has done a fair job of explaining the difference between manjari-bhava and the bhava of a priya-narma-sakha. Other than that, the basic thrust of her article as I read it is, "Because Prabhupada must be in manjari-bhava, he can not be in sakhya-bhava, which is different." She has also given some justification, arguments I am familiar with (although inconclusive in my opinion and that of my siksa-guru), as to why Prabhupada must be situated in manjari-bhava.

My humble pranams to her grace Srimati Jadurani devi.

Guest guest

Depends on the mood, the mellow. He is sent on a mission, descending from the spiritual world, so he is acting like King Prthu, Lord Brahma, Lord Jesus Christ. Like King Bhisma acting like a great warrior to please Krsna.

What he is in the spiritual world is glimpsed here, during trance, not to speculate but rather appreciate the exchange he has with Sri Sri Radha Krsna and Nitai Gauranga.

I love the ending of Ramayana when Manohari, after living as the faithful consort of Ravanasura, becomes a small girl holding hands with her daddy, walking thru the forest.

Its all so multiversal, hyperdimensional, how can we understand the inconceivable. If we knew, Acintya would be out of business.

haribol, ys, mahak

From my observations I see how Srila Prabhupada displayed such a total selflessness, that he was able to be overshadowed by just about any mood or potency necessary to display for each variety of his mission on this planet. The way his humility, grace, charm and power all stood tall amongst all Vaisnava's on the planet.

As if to demonstrate figuratively, as a glimpse or teaser for those with the eyes to see, how exalted beyond all exaltation the position of a Manjari is, the summum bonnum which contains within it the best of all Moods and Bhavas of all Rasas, and thus the profound depth of the treasure Srila Prabhupada was distributing on behalf of his most worshippable and most compassionate Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

What he is in the spiritual world is glimpsed here, during trance, not to speculate but rather appreciate the exchange he has with Sri Sri Radha Krsna and Nitai Gauranga.
I like this, which I take as the heart of Mahak's response. The question posed here puts Srila Prabhupada's internal life in the past tense, which shows a fundamental misunderstanding. When we're ready for such knowledge (meaning free from misconceptions and extraneous desires due to ignorance of the very nature of our identity), and to the extent it's necessary, we may be able to understand such things by transcendental reasoning. Materialistic logic cannot approach this world, and we are more than just mistaken to try to use it to understand the spiritual world. In fact, Srila Rupa Goswami warns us against this in Bhaktirasamrita-sindhu:

mahä-çakti-viläsätmä bhävo ‘cintya-svarüpa-bhäk

raty-äkhyä ity ayaàyukto na hi tarkeëa bädhitum

bhäratädy-uktir eñä hi präktanair apy udaùåtä

The ancient authorities have given the following statement from Mahäbhärata as an example to show that rati, which is the manifestation for the hlädiné çakti, which is beyond the conceivable—deriding even liberation and giving joy to the Lord Himself—should not be defiled by material logic.

yathoktam udyama-parvaëi—

acintyäù khalu ye bhävä na täàs tarkeëa yojayet

prakåtibhyaù paraà yac ca tad acintyasya lakñaëam

Thus the Mahäbhärata, Udyama-parva says:

One should not analyze the unconceivable bhävas by material logic. Those bhävas which are beyond the material realm are said to be inconceivable. (Brs. 2.5.92-93)

We would do well to listen to the opinions of those who understand this world, and who know Srila Prabhupada, such as Srila B. R. Sridhar Maharaja.

Why not let him weigh in then?

Namah Om Visnu Padaya, Krsna Preshtaya Bhutale.

Srila Bhakti Raksak Sridhar Maharaja please be our guide.

Srila Sridhar Maharaj: He was so simple; so great and so simple at the same time. Anyhow, Mahaprabhu, our Gurudeva has done through him a tremendous inconceivable thing. Even one Maharaj, who could not tolerate all these things, because he was first in charge to go to the West, and could not get the desired success, but the other day, when coming from Mayapura, that Maharaj said, “It is achintya: inconceivable. He did not want to give recognition, but from his mouth, the word came out. That what Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj did, that is achintya: it is inconceivable. So, it is divine. It is inconceivable what he has done, what Nityananda Prabhu, what Baladeva has done through him, that is inconceivable. Devotee: Is it possible to have two rasas in the spiritual world?

Srila Sridhar Maharaj: It is not seen generally. The permission is possible. In the first stage, it may not be detected and this is a great problem to us, and a great guidance to us. Anyhow, we have come to a group which is exclusively the group of madhurya rasa. The guru-parampara you see, not of vatsalya rasa, but to madhurya rasa. Or the mantram, leading to madhurya rasa. Madhurya rasa is all-accommodating rasa, and that was mainly given by Mahaprabhu, and also Rupa, so Mahaprabhu, and also Rupanuga Sampradaya had the mantram, what we get, all rasa combined, and to help that rasa, the service of that rasa, other paraphernalia has been created.

Adi rasa, and mukhya rasa. Two paricaya: denominations of the work of rasa. They are identical. Adirasa means that is the most original rasamadhurya arasa. And mukhya rasa, the principle rasa is madhurya rasa. And the zenith of all rasa is found there. Our guru parampara is all in all madhurya rasa, and the mantras that are given to us are all in madhurya rasa, so that is the real work. Anarpita ciram cirat karunaya vartina kalau … Mahaprabhu came to give what was not previously given. That Radha Govinda, they came to jointly give the type of divine love to the public. “If you have such a qualification you can come up to this, the highest quarter.” That was the necessity of Sri Guaranga, to distribute that. All others are subservient, helping that rasa of Krsna. So, in our childhood, when not sufficiently developed, we may run here and there, but ultimately, we shall mostly go there.

Devotee: Different individuals will have their respective rasas, but the original mood, the objective, is to enhance the madhurya rasa, support the madhurya rasa. Say somebody is in sakhya rasa, but he is in Mahaprabhu’s movement, he is trying all the time ….

Srila Sridhar Maharja: That is also an instance. Not only that, but greater than that. Mahaprabhu tried to convert Murari Gupta, but He could not. Then he left. His strong inclination was towards Ramachandra. But still, Murari Gupta had some respect for this. Then, also, perhaps Rupa Goswami and Sanatana tried their best to take the father of Jiva Goswami, Anupama – he was a devotee of Ramachandra – to take him to krsna-lila, but they also failed. So, they tried, and that has got some value, even by Mahaprabhu and Sanatana, that is not a chance coincidence or a flickering or false attempt. So it is possible, and at the same time, there is such a strong and innate nature, that cannot be converted. That faith, that thing, is in the jiva. Both sides have been pleaded here.

Devotee: Maharaj, it has been clear now, in a way, that Prabhupad (Srila Bhaktivedana Swami Maharaj) was in the sakhya rasa?

Srila Sridhar Maharaj: At least temporarily he has showed like that. What he has expressed there in that journey there, it is almost clear that he liked that sort of lila best, but it may be, it might have been suppressed purposely; it also cannot be denied, maybe. That is one thing. There may be such a possibility, and he has given, he has said that Radharani was his gurudeva. His gurudeva was Radharani, but he himself was thinking that perhaps madhurya rasa should not be distributed in the first instalment. That might have been his view.

Because his preaching was mostly helped by Nityanananda Prabhu, Baladeva, so influenced by their tendency, their mood, he might have for the time being had that footing. And another thing: there is another sign that he showed affinity for sakhya rasa. In Vrndavana, he has installed Baladeva, Krsna Balarama, and Nitai Gaura. Sakhya rasa preference. That also may be with the previous idea: that generally, by the influence of Nityananda, Nityananda and Baladeva has helped me to preach the lila of Krsna in such a broad way, so in gratitude, he might have place that vigraha.

But our Guru Maharaj did not place, only in Panca Tattva and other places, otherwise, where the pure madhurya rasa, Mahaprabhu, Radha-Govinda and Mahaprabhu, everywhere: He installed Mahaprabhu, both combined and Radha Govinda, separate. Radha krsna pranaya vikrtir hladini saktir asmad. But Guru Maharaj, through preached exclusively this madhurya rasa, but great precausion. What is not that thing, he perhaps used ninety percent of his energy to preach that “This is not madhurya rasa.” To clear away the negative side, he had to spare in his words, “Gallons of blood” to be spared to teach that this is not madhurya rasa.

I've heard through the internet scuttlebutt over the years that when asked, Srila Prabhupada said "If I told you, you wouldn't believe it".

Please forgive me if I am spreading yet another old wives' tale.

One time there was some discussion amongst some of ISKCON's leaders about what they felt was the distinct possibility that Srila Prabhupada is actually a cowherd boy in the Spiritual World. When informed of this Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja remarked, "No, no, no, he is actually a gopi."

Yes, gopi or manjari. Either way he is in madhurya lila. This I have seen.

CB-r

Guest guest

Sorry, I had to drop VC. I did enjoy your contributions there, though.

Madurya lila, I have wondered about this. We see madurya lila manifest in the teachings of Lord Chaitanya, especially the exchange with ramananda raya.

Queen Kunti, who is firmly parental, is also fully engaged in madurya rasa when speaking about Krsna and his Gokula dhama adventures. King Bhisma is also entranced similarly, even though he is parent, friend and servant. Sri Uddhava is absorbed in madurya rasa, yet is Krsnas friend.

So, when we speak of moods, we speak of consciousness. Srila Prabhupadas consciousness is absorbed in madurya rasa, yet he also manifests other flavors as well. Just as he cannot maintain his uttama adhikari stage to teach us, because who needs teaching for an uttama who sees all beings in their pure devotee position? So he becomes madhyama, differentiating between demon and devotee, making devotees out of demons, etc.

He displays all the rasas for his students. If he told you, you wouldnt believe him. My guess, (here comes the boos from the audience), he is the creator, Lord Brahma, the son, Lord Jesus Christ, and the caretaker of the holy name, Srila Haridas Thakur, all the same person who comes and goes as he pleases.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

Purport

Srila Prabhupada-Lila-Smarana-Mangala-Stotram

by

Sripad B.G. Narasingha Maharaja

Let me offer my most respectful and humble obeisances to the lotus feet of my spiritual master His Divine Grace Sri Jagat Guru Om Visnupada Paramahamsa Sri Srimad A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

Let me also offer my most respectful and humble obeisances to all of Srila Prabhupada's eternal servants, paraphernalia, and pastimes. By the boundless mercy of His Divine Grace, vast numbers of conditioned souls are being drawn to the lotus feet of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Sri Sri Radha-Govinda.

I humbly bow my head in the dust of the lotus feet of Srila Prabhupada and sincerely pray that he will accept me as one of his eternal servitor associates.

The disciples of Srila Prabhupada worship His Divine Grace as the dearmost servant of Srimati Radharani in the line of Sri Rupa Goswami. I must therefore beg forgiveness at the lotus feet of Srila Prabhupada and before all of you, the listeners and readers, for any fault or offense that I have committed in my attempt to glorify His Divine Grace.

sarva-vaisnavera pa'ye kari namaskara

ithe aparadha kichu nahuka amara

"If I have committed any offense when dealing with so many subtle and exalted things about the great personalities, please, Nityananda Prabhu, absolve me of that offense and restore me to my normal position."

We shall always remember Srila Prabhupada, our eternal father, as the empowered representative of the most glorious and beautiful queen of Sri Vrndavana, Srimati Radharani, and we shall forever aspire for the shelter of his lotus feet. What follows are eight transcendental remembrances of His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's manifest pastimes in Sri Chaitanyadeva's ongoing sankirtana-lila, all of which point to his eternal service in the camp of Sri Radha.

His Birth

An Eternal Resident of Goloka Vrndavana

It was Nandotsava, the day after Janmastami, the advent day of Lord Krsna, when Srila Prabhupada appeared in this world in a small village on the outskirts of Calcutta. It was a very auspicious day and all the people in the three worlds were engaged in a wonderful festival celebrating the birth of Sri Krsnachandra, who had advented at Sri Vrndavana Dhama almost five thousand years before. At this auspicious time, Srimati Radharani, the queen of Vrndavana, called her dear servant and said, "Please go to earth and give them Krsna's mercy." Thus her own servant was sent to this world to spread Krsna-consciousness in every town and village. Who else but the dearmost servant of Srimati Radharani could be worthy fo such a task?

The same year as Srila Prabhupada's appearance (1896), Srila Thakura Bhaktivinode's introductory book in English, Sri Chaitanya: His Life and Precepts, appeared at Mc.Gill University in Canada. This was the first book about Sri Chaitanya to reach Western shores. Shortly after that, Bhaktivinode also predicted that a great soul would soon come to fulfill Sri Chaitanya's prediction from Chaitanya-Bhagavata: prthivite ache yada nagaradi-grama sarvatra pracara haibe mora nama. "In every town and village in the world, the holy name of Krsna will be sung."

That Thakura Bhaktivinode's first publication came to the West in the same year that Srila Prabhupada appeared in this world as "the ambassador to fulfill the prediction of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu" is felt in the hearts of Srila Prabhupada's eternal servants as an eternal transcendental truth.

Srila Prabhupada is always situated in eternal pastimes of the divine couple Sri Sri Radha-Govinda in the transcendental realm of Goloka Vrndavana. Thus the place of Srila Prabhupada's appearance in this mundane world is considered nondifferent from Goloka Vrndavana.

"To teach others by example how to be a faithful disciple of sri guru, Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu visited the birthplace of Isvara Puri at Kamarhatty and collected some earth from his birthsite. This Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu kept very carefully, he used to eat a small portion of it daily." (Chaitanya-Bhagavata Ch. 12)

Let us therefore eternally worship the auspicious day and the auspicious place where Srila Prabhupada manifest his humble appearance in this world.

His Father

A Pure Devotee of Krsna

Gour Mohan De, a pure devotee of Krsna, desired the very best for his son. "Please bless him," he used to say, whenever holy men used to visit his home. "Please bless my son that he will become a great devotee of Srimati Radharani."

Srila Prabhupada said, "My father also trained me and instructed me to his best capacity, and he prayed for me that Radharani may be pleased upon me, and I think by my father's blessings and grace, I may have come to this position, and I have gotten into relationship with His Divine Grace Om Visnupada Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Goswami Maharaja also by his mercy. So it is Krsna's grace that I got a good father and also a good spiritual master."

What else did Gour Mohan desire for his son? "He should learn to play mrdanga very nicely and he should engage in the worship of Sri Sri Radha-Govinda."

Srila Prabhupada's father made all these arrangements: mrdanga lessons and Deities of Radha-Govinda for Srila Prabhupada's childhood worship. In due course of time, everything became wonderfully manifest in Srila Prabhupada, as per his father's transcendental desires.

What wonderful arrangements the Lord makes for his pure devotees. Let the holy remembrance of Sri Gour Mohan De, the father of Srila Prabhupada and a pure devotee of Krsna, be ever present in our thoughts.

His Guru

My Guru Maharaja was a Vaikuntha Man

Srila Prabhupada said, "The ideas I imbibed from my father in my childhood days were later on solidified by my spiritual master, the eternal father, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura."

Who was Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura, the spiritual master of our beloved spiritual master? The eternal ego of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura is disclosed here in these two beautiful prayers:

ati-laukika-gati-taulika-rati-kautuka-vapusam

ati-daivata-mati-vaisnava-yati-vaibhava-purusam

sa-sanatana-raghu-rupaka paramanuga-critam

su-vicaraka iva jivaka iti sadhubhir-uditam

subhadodaya-divase vrsa-ravija-dayitam

pranamami ca caranantika-paricaraka-sahitam

"O Dayita dasa, your divine personality exists within the spiritual realm, and your manner of movement is quite gentle while your divine figure fondly engages in the Lord's srngara-rasa pastimes. In addition, your external appearance radiates the prestige of a dignified renunciate-far superior to any class of demigod-and possesses the intelligence of a pure devotee. Every aspect of your distinct personality is exactly parallel with those magnificent devotees Srila Sanatana, Srila Raghunatha Dasa, and Srila Rupa Goswami. Due to your wonderful and precise judgement, the devotees have declared that you are the life-image of Srila Jiva Goswami. On your auspicious appearance day, I humbly offer my respects unto the tips of your lotus toes in the association of your favorite servitors. O Gurudeva , you are the dearmost object of King Vrsabhanu's daughter, Srimati Radharani."

nite yasmin nisante nayana-jala-bharai snata-gatrarbudanam

ucchair utkrosatam sri-vrsa-kapi-sutaya-dhiraya sviya-gosthim

prthivi gadhandhakarair-hrta-nayana-manivavrta yena hina

yatrasau tatra sighram krpana-nayana he niyatam kinkaro 'yam

"At the close of night, early morn, there were thousands of devotees freshly bathed and loudly wailing, their eyes overflowing with sorrowful tears of hopelessness. Srimati Radhika, that radiantly beautiful queen of Vraja and daughter of King Vrsabhanu, had summoned her intimate servant Sri Dayita dasa to return to her divine camp, their personal family. Now in the absence of Nayana-mani-manjari, the earth planet has been vacuumed into the deepest, vacant darkness. Oh! With no further delay, kindly accept this fallen soul as your servant. O Dayita dasa, I am hoping against hope to be embraced within the fold of your divine company." (Srila Bhakti Raksaka Sridhara Deva Goswami Maharaja)

Let the transcendental memory of Srila Prabhupada as the eternal servant of the servant of Sri Sri Radha-Govinda become our exclusive meditation and bhajana.

His Guru's Instructions

Radha-kunda-Print Books

Srila Prabhupada often spoke about the instructions of his Guru Maharaja to preach and publish Krsna-conscious literature. Srila Prabhupada was especially fond of mentioning the story of how he received his most important instructions from Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura at Sri Radha-kunda. Srila Prabhupada recalled that at the time Srila Bhaktisiddhanta was feeling some dissatisfaction in regard to some disciples competing over who would live in which rooms in the newly constructed temple in Calcutta.

While walking along the banks of Radha-kunda, the place of the most intimate pastimes of Sri Sri Radha-Govinda, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura revealed his mind. "I think it would be better to sell this temple and the marble and print books." Then, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura turned to Srila Prabhupada and said, "If you ever get money, print books."

Srila Prabhupada told this story many times and he would usually add these words: "And so, I am doing. Printing books is our first business. Print books and distribute them all over the world and Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura and Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu will bless you."

In great humility Srila Prabhupada used to say that his only qualification was that he had firm faith, guru-nistha, in the order of his spiritual master.

The ultimate conception of the spiritual master in the Gaudiya-sampradaya is that the guru is the representative of Srimati Radharani. Srila Prabhupada saw his Guru Maharaja, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura, in that way and that is the standard that we are to adopt if we are to enter deeply within the ocean of Krsna-consciousness.

Let us always worship the holiest of holy places, Sri Radha-kunda, and let us always remember the instructions of Srimati Radharani to her most confidential servant at that most holy place.

His Holy Place of Bhajana

The Radha-Damodara Temple

Once in Vrndavana Srila Prabhupada informed a small group of his devotees of something very sublime, "I live eternally in my rooms at the Radha-Damodara temple." The real substance of this statement is of course only fully known to Srila Prabhupada himself, but we can feel with our heart that this clearly indicates that Srila Prabhupada is an eternal member of the camp of Srila Rupa Goswami.

In his small rooms overlooking the samadhi of Srila Rupa Goswami, Srila Prabhupada used to execute his daily bhajana of chanting the holy name of Krsna and writing the Bhaktivedanta purports in Srimad-Bhagavatam. Srila Prabhupada also informed us that, "I got inspiration for going to the West simply by performing my bhajana and praying before the samadhi of Srila Rupa Goswami." There he did his bhajana and there he daily sang Narottama dasa Thakura's song "Sri Rupa Manjari Pada ." It is in this song that we find the highest aspiration of the followers of the Rupanuga sampradaya in the service of Sri Radha.

The Radha-Damodara temple is located within the rasa-mandala of Sri Vrndavana Dhama and it occupies a most exalted position as the place of highly confidential lila of Sri Sri Radha-Govinda. It was here also that the renowned devotee Srila Jiva Goswami prepared transcendental literature on the science of Krsna-consciousness.

Damodara generally means bound by the ropes of love of Mother Yasoda. But there is another meaning of Damodara which is known only to the followers of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Damodara means bound by the love and affection of Srimati Radharani. So great is Srimati Radharani's love for Krsna that she has captured Krsna and bound her Lord making him Her exclusive property and servitor.

The Radha-Damodara temple now stands at that place where Lord Krsna became a slave to the love of Srimati Radharani, where he bowed to her holy feet in radha pada seva, and this also is the eternal place of service and bhajana of Srila Prabhupada.

Let us always remember the Radha-Damodara temple, the place of holy bhajana of Srila Prabhupada and let us never forget his most exalted position as a servant of Srimati Radharani in the camp of Srila Rupa Goswami.

His Arrival

You Will Obtain Your Good Fortune

When the good ship Jaladutta was crossing the Atlantic Ocean en route to Boston Harbor on Sept. 13, 1965, Srila Prabhupada composed a beautiful prayer in his native Bengali language. The refrain appeals to Sri Krsna, who is bound by Radharani's love.

krsna taba punya habe bhai

e-punya koribe jabe radharani khusi habe

dhruva ati boli toma tai

Commenting on Srila Prabhupada's poem, Srila Sridhara Maharaja once said, "I consider him to be a saktyavesa-avatara and this is confirmed in his writings on his spiritual journey through the Atlantic. How he arrived in America, the nature of his beginning the movement, his intense degree of dependence and dedication to Krsna, and how much he made himself empty of any other desire than the order of his gurudeva corroborate that Krsna came down to help him. In his poem Prayer to the Lotus Feet of Krsna , we find him pleading with Krsna, 'My dear brother, your good fortune will come to you only when Srimati Radharani becomes pleased with you.' Seeing his gurudeva, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura, as Radharani's delegation and his order as her divine service, he humbly submitted that he did not feel himself worthy or fit to discharge the divine service, so he enlisted Krsna in the service of his guru. He had completely dedicated himself to the purpose; he was so earnest in his prayer to Krsna that divine force came down to help him. Otherwise, it is impossible. It is not an ordinary thing that anyone can do, rather the highest thing was extensively taken down to the lowest position, to the fallen souls. It cannot but be the divine power, embodied and in a great intensity and magnitude! So, saktyavesa-avatara, I cannot but take him to be so."

The longest journey begins with the first step and certainly any and all progress in Krsna-consciousness begins by first approaching Srimati Radharani. Just as all the planets revolve around the pole star, Dhruvaloka, so divine service revolves around Sri Radha. Therefore, with emphasis (dhruva) Prabhupada wrote, dhruva ati boli toma tai, emphatically imploring Krsna, "you will only be happy if Radharani is pleased; therefore, you must help me to do her service."

It is the desire of Srimati Radharani to spread Krsna-consciousness all over the world and it is the desire of Sri Krsna to spread the glories of Srimati Radharani amongst the surrendered souls. Both these elements are present in the very beginning of Srila Prabhupada's attempt to start the Krsna-consciousness movement in the Western world.

Once Srila Prabhupada commented that, "Krsna alone is not so beautiful." The meaning is that without Srimati Radharani by his side Krsna is incomplete. The ultimate truth is that Radha and Krsna are together eternally-they actually never separate even for a moment. As Krsna never takes even a step out of Vrndavana, similarly Krsna never leaves the side or Srimati Radharani even for a moment. The two are eternally united.

The pure devotees of Krsna never desire to enjoy separately with Krsna-rather they eternally desire to serve the divine couple Sri Sri Radha-Krsna by attending to all their needs or transcendental necessities.

Let us always remember the lotus feet of our divine master Srila Prabhupada who has obtained the greatest fortune from the Supreme Lord Krsna by the grace of Srimati Radharani and who is eternally engaged in their most intimate service.

His Message-A Matchless Gift

We Have Come Here to Receive the Greatest Gift

The matchless gift that Srila Prabhupada so graciously gave to his disciples, followers, and ultimately the whole world is nicely expressed by Srila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami in the following prayer to his spiritual master. What we find expressed here by Srila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami is truly the essence of the mission of Srila Prabhupada and the most refined understanding of the substance of our Gaudiya-sampradaya.

nama-srestham manum api saci-putram atra svarupam

rupam tasyagrajam uru-purim mathurim gostavatim

radha-kundam giri-varam aho radhika-madhavasam

prapto yasya prathita-krpaya sri gurum tam nato 'smi

Here Dasa Goswami prays to his gurudeva, and if we can understand the things represented in this verse, we can say that we have understood Srila Prabhupada's message. By the grace of Srila Prabhupada, we have received the highest conception of the Holy Name of Krsna and the shelter of Sri Chaitanya. Sri Chaitanya's personal secretary, Svarupa Damodara, is none other than Sri Lalita Sakhi, the closest friend of Sri Radha, who canvasses widely on her behalf. By Srila Prabhupada's grace, we have come to her shelter and also the shelter of Sri Rupa and Sanatana Goswamis. By their grace we can become acquainted with our eternal place of service at Govardhana and sometimes be called to Radha-kunda in the service of Sri Sri Radha-Madhava.

Let us always remember the lotus feet of Srila Prabhupada, who is the giver of the matchless gift of eternal joy in the hearts of his surrendered servants and who is a torchlight of inspiration to all the members of the Gaudiya-sampradaya in the matter of spreading Krsna-consciousness all over the world.

His Departure

Govardhana & Karttika

After preaching Krsna-consciousness around the world fifteen times in only twelve years, Srila Prabhupada lastly returned to Sri Vrndavana Dhama where he manifest his final pastimes before our eyes and gave us his last instructions.

Srila Prabhupada showed us many things by his personal example and inspired us to continue preaching this Krsna-consciousness movement all over the world. Then in the month of Karttika a few days before Govardhana-puja, Srila Prabhupada suddenly manifest a great desire to go to Govardhana Hill. It came almost as a shock to the devotees who could not tolerate the idea that Srila Prabhupada might make such an arduous journey. Then with the help of Krsna Dasa Babaji Maharaja, Srila Prabhupada's desire was relaxed, at least from the external point of view.

What was it that Srila Prabhupada was teaching us or what did he actually express by telling us that he wanted to go to Govardhana Hill? It was not simply Govardhana Hill that can be reached by either car or bullock cart to which Srila Prabhupada desired to go, but it was the infinite play of his eternal Lord in the service of Sri Radha at Govardhana to which he desired to return. As Dasa Goswami realized when Sri Chaitanya gave him the Govardhana sila and gunja-mala, "Mahaprabhu has given me a place at Govardhana in the service of Sri Radhika," so Srila Prabhupada instructed us about these truths through his disappearance.

Karttika is the most revered time of year in Vrndavana because it represents the month of Srimati Radharani, and Sri Govardhana Hill is the place of unlimited eternal, intimate pastimes of the Divine Couple Sri Sri Radha-Govinda. Srila Prabhupada was being called to return to those wonderful pastimes of divine love.

The days and moments past and the devotees stood by helplessly--then suddenly the only meaning in our poor lives disappeared from our sight. Our most beloved guide, master, father, and friend had returned to the side of his most worshipful Lord--simultaneously, he had entered our hearts forever. The devotees shed an ocean of tears, yet to this day we have not extinguished the fire of separation felt for his affectionate and reassuring presence. How shall we maintain our lives now?

Srila Prabhupada expressed his inner desire to go to Govardhana Hill and he chose the time of Karttika, the month of Srimati Radharani, for his departure from this world. Thus he has shown us the way and he has drawn the whole world to Govardhana Hill and the Karttika festival. This we have understood by our practical experience, as yearly thousands of devotees from all over the world celebrate Karttika in Vrndavana and circumambulate Govardhana Hill.

Let us always remember our Divine Master, Srila Prabhupada, as an eternal servant and resident of the eternal pastimes of Sri Sri Radha-Govinda and let us carry the impression of his lotus feet and his instructions in the core of our hearts and continue on, as he so strongly desired, to become pure devotees and to spread the Krsna-consciousness movement to every corner of the world.

Everything is possible by the will of Radha and Krsna, and His Divine Grace is also always present before us. Srila Prabhupada has given us the assurance and blessing that through his instructions he will be by our side at every moment. May we all be blessed with his everlasting memory and his transcendental association via faith, surrender, and transcendental loving service.

Sorry, I had to drop VC. I did enjoy your contributions there, though.

Madurya lila, I have wondered about this. We see madurya lila manifest in the teachings of Lord Chaitanya, especially the exchange with ramananda raya.

Queen Kunti, who is firmly parental, is also fully engaged in madurya rasa when speaking about Krsna and his Gokula dhama adventures. King Bhisma is also entranced similarly, even though he is parent, friend and servant. Sri Uddhava is absorbed in madurya rasa, yet is Krsnas friend.

So, when we speak of moods, we speak of consciousness. Srila Prabhupadas consciousness is absorbed in madurya rasa, yet he also manifests other flavors as well. Just as he cannot maintain his uttama adhikari stage to teach us, because who needs teaching for an uttama who sees all beings in their pure devotee position? So he becomes madhyama, differentiating between demon and devotee, making devotees out of demons, etc.

He displays all the rasas for his students. If he told you, you wouldnt believe him. My guess, (here comes the boos from the audience), he is the creator, Lord Brahma, the son, Lord Jesus Christ, and the caretaker of the holy name, Srila Haridas Thakur, all the same person who comes and goes as he pleases.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

No boos from CB-r. You have guts Mahak, I will chant at the flag you just raised. Yes, He is Lord brahman, Lord Jesus, Srila Haridas Thakur and in the spiritual world in madhurya lila also, I have SEEN. Only for a momment, but it was Srila Prabhupada for sure. Yes:) to all the above.

CB-r

CB-r, could you describe how you have seen?

No, I will not reveal any more of my heart here. I have SEEN, thats all. Ask how Mahaksa SEES Prabhupada the way he has SEEN.

I have given to much that is then taken cheaply. I'm going to be a little more reserve in my posts, selective as it were.

I select to not reveal more.

CB-r

He displays all the rasas for his students. If he told you, you wouldnt believe him. My guess, (here comes the boos from the audience), he is the creator, Lord Brahma, the son, Lord Jesus Christ, and the caretaker of the holy name, Srila Haridas Thakur, all the same person who comes and goes as he pleases. quote by Mahak

No boos...My dearest devotee friend shared intimately with me one time that, she sees Srila Prabhupada simply as...a loving father.

No, I will not reveal any more of my heart here. I have SEEN, thats all. Ask how Mahaksa SEES Prabhupada the way he has SEEN.

I have given to much that is then taken cheaply. I'm going to be a little more reserve in my posts, selective as it were.

I select to not reveal more.

CB-r

Sure, understood.

Guest guest

Why has the questioner asked who Srila Prabhupada WAS in the spiritual world? Shouldn't it be asked who he IS?