IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Poyssick

Finding my Sanscrit name

Rate this topic

Giridhari, which means Krishna, the lifter of the hill.

Then there's also the very cool-sounding Gariman, meaning a venerable person.

And Garuda, the eagle-carrier of Vishnu.

And Garga, the family priest of Krishna's clan in Vraja.

And so on and so forth, but such a name is customarily received from a guru.

I had to visit Shanghai a few times over the last few years. I learnt something curious about naming there which may be relevant to this thread.

The chinese have chinese names for every location and that is what the locals know. For example, the Radisson hotel is not known as Radisson among the locals of Shanghai. For every foreign name, they find a list of Chinese words which sound like the foreign name and then pick the one which has the most beautiful meaning. Telling a cab driver to take you to the Hyatt will not work. You will have to have the chinese name of the place written down in their script and that is the only way of communicating with the cab driver. This type of alternate naming is not found in India where Radission and the Hyatt are known to locals by their original names - most likely because english is more widely adopted in India than in PRC.

You may want to try something similar. Create a list of sanskrit nouns sounding similar to your name and then pick the one with the most beautiful meaning.

Cheers

I had to visit Shanghai a few times over the last few years. I learnt something curious about naming there which may be relevant to this thread.

The chinese have chinese names for every location and that is what the locals know. For example, the Radisson hotel is not known as Radisson among the locals of Shanghai. For every foreign name, they find a list of Chinese words which sound like the foreign name and then pick the one which has the most beautiful meaning. Telling a cab driver to take you to the Hyatt will not work. You will have to have the chinese name of the place written down in their script and that is the only way of communicating with the cab driver. This type of alternate naming is not found in India where Radission and the Hyatt are known to locals by their original names - most likely because english is more widely adopted in India than in PRC.

You may want to try something similar. Create a list of sanskrit nouns sounding similar to your name and then pick the one with the most beautiful meaning.

Cheers

I think this also has a lot to do with the fact Chinese isn't a phonetic alphabet, so you can't spell it like in other languages. You have to choose characters that sound like what you are trying to write. Also I think they try to avoid the bad more than look for the most beautiful, in line with Chinese 'luck' concepts. India has written English for so long, so no problem, but I think that is the key reason they do this in China.