IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

American Kirtan movement alive & growing - The yoga of our time

Rate this topic

Kirtan in America

by Mangalananda Das

Posted February 15, 2007

The new American Kirtan movement is alive and growing. If you don't believe me, just google "kirtan;" I did and got 598,000 hits in .07 seconds. For me this is exciting. It would be even more exciting if the chanters were Personalists.

I started participating in the Hare Krishna Kirtan movement in the early 1970s. The chanting profoundly changed my life and I've been an advocate of the benefits of kirtan ever since. As a songwriter born in the U.S. I naturally write about my unique American experience which includes kirtan. For the last three years, my wife, Yamini, and I toured all over the U.S. as the musical duo AverageSoul. We took the opportunity to drop in on many of the Hare Krishna Temples along the way. I was sad to find that despite America's growing interest in kirtan, I saw no wave of new faces coming to chant. The Temple programs were failing to inspire more locals to join in the kirtans. In fact, compared to the 70s and early 80s, attendance was down and the majority of full-time residents were foreigners.

Kirtan gets a very small part of the overall energy and finances given to running a Krishna Temple. Most of the manpower and money goes to orthodox Deity worship. Large temples were purchased or built back in the 70s and 80s with money from armies of street-solicitors. The strategy was "Build it and America will come." But this idea failed. The problem has been compounded by the fact that these huge properties which house the Deities can't be maintained without a tithing congregation. Worship of Deities is a very foreign concept for Americans, and except for Indian-born believers, it still has not attracted committed congregations.

Great saints in the devotional tradition have said that Deity worship is a valuable tool for personal spiritual growth. This is an accepted fact. We have seen many a heart won over by beautiful Deities. However, it's apparent that over the past thirty years in America, Deity worship hasn't attracted many new American followers.

A real strategy has to be developed and executed to propagate Hare Krishna Kirtan, the yoga of our times.. I thought of the old Hare Krishna creed "Chant and be Happy." And I had to ask myself why the Hare Krishna Kirtan movement was not having the same success as the newer American Kirtan movement.

The following is a list of my personal observations and comments. Of course there are exceptions to these examples on both sides. In looking for answers, I try to remember the words of Srila Bhaktivinode: "A truth-seeker should have a comprehensive, good, generous, candid, impartial, and sympathetic soul; Party spirit is the great enemy of truth."

These are some definitions I read to keep myself on track:

• Bigotry = obstinate devotion to one's own opinion
  • Obstinate = adhering to an opinion or course of action despite
  • logical arguments or reasoning
  • Fanatic = intense blind devotion

I've written this to try to make sense of it all for myself or spark an idea in someone else who's trying to understand it. For the rest of the article visit www.AverageSoul.net > Soul-Search > Kirtan in America an American Perspective

Haribol,

i think that there are no new faces in the kirtan, because the music doesn't really appeal to the youngsters of our time, spoiled by house, techno and more very attractive musical tools in the hands of Maya.

What if there would be talented youngsters with a vision of our times and transforming this vision into modern music, Krishna music, modern tunes, beats, with enchanting chants in it, maybe Krishna techno, reaggea, rock in the style and mood of Dreamtheater, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Uriah Heep and Steve Vai for example.

Just a few possibilities, i also heard many examples of powerfull kirtans from ShivaRam Swami and others i don't know the names of, but they will appeal to the youth one day, i am convinced.

There is a new generation rising, just check this website www.yogamandir.com , click on events/retreats and listen to a song on which we do yoga, quite modern, complete with cool guitarsolo and chants. We are all Vaisnava yoga teachers, we start the class with chanting : "Om namah Bhagavate Vasudevaya" ,play the music (we can choose from 9 hours of modern music with chants), explaining our philosophy inbetween the asana's, telling Bhagavatam stories while lying in Shavasana and end the class with the same chanting, distributing Maha to the guests who came for this yoga...oh..and we do the call outs as well.

I have also a CD called Vastu Purusha, harmony of space.....you won't believe how far out this CD is, except the last, 7th, song, that sucks.

And the CD of Dasi, Karnamritam, pretty modern, and Rasa with their CD's, Pia with her Sanskrit songs, for example Gaura Nitai, just beautifull.

I sent them to my ex-girlfriend as a present and she plays them frequently, tripping out on some songs, turning on the volume as loud as possible, especially on the Narasimhadev song of Vastu Purusha CD.

SHE LIKES HEAVY METAL !!! and asked me who NARASHIMADEV is....

So there is hope that by music we can "steal away" their hearts and make the world more Godly consciouss, Krishna consciouss.

YS,

Erik.

PS...i edited this post because i came up with a few more examples.

I am again posting this excerpted article which I first posted on "The Curse is on Me" thread. I am posting it again because I believe in shows first a transformation of one at first opposed to liberalizing and opening up kirtan and then a very insightful analysis and siddhantic arguments to give such appreciation a strong foundation.

Harmonizing Different Standards Among Gaudiya Maths (Excerpt)

Sripad Bhakti Alok Paramadvaiti Maharaja, disciple of Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja, Sannyasa disciple of Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Maharaja (also siksa guru), and siksa disciple of Srila Bhakti Pramode Puri Maharaja.

With the translations of many books and songs for Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj's world-wide movement, the worship of Krishna gradually took on different variations. Who could forget the beautiful Govinda song composed by George Harrison which Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj introduced in his temples for the greetings of the deities. In addition, in Africa people celebrated the leading devotees as tribal chiefs, and in Brazil everybody brought their samba instruments to join in Lord Chaitanya's kirtan.

Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj's style of preaching in the West was very revolutionary; but his own guru's suggestions for preaching had not been any less revolutionary. To open ashrams for Vaisnava ladies was quite unique. Yet, Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur had already spoken about their existence and necessity in Prema Pradip .

This quality of adaptation is not new to our sampradaya. Over the years, different branches of the Gaudiya Math have developed many styles of kirtan, artik, puja, and preaching techniques. Both Srila Narottam Das Thakur and Srila Syamananda Prabhu developed particular kirtan styles. Vaisnavas of different areas also chanted their bhajans in their respective languages, and the influence of their local cultures became noticeable. Manipuri Vaisnavas and Orissa Vaisnavas are examples of this.

The soul's craving for love of God is her constitutional right, but in the external world everything changes to some degree. Even deity styles, temple constructions, styles of Vaisnava book publishing, festivals, and prasadam recipes change. While visiting different Gaudiya Maths, I noticed that they chanted different songs for their morning worship, and that the artik was also carried out with subtle variation. Some had the guru-parampara on the altar starting from the right side, some started from the left; some had a picture of Vamsidas Babaji Maharaj, some did not. Once I witnessed my sannyas guru, Srila Sridhar Maharaj, eat a piece of pizza out of love for his Western lady disciple. All in all, I understood that we are only interested in the essence. Neophyte devotees have the tendency to think that something can only be done in one particular way but, in truth, an empowered preacher may make adjustments according to time, place, and circumstance.

Srila Rupa Goswami Prabhupad states that all bona fide spiritual masters teach the same essence of Krishna Consciousness even though the details may change. If the essence is present in a preaching mission and there is no deviation in the siddhanta, the details of delivering that essence should be happily accepted. This may not always be easy to understand. When I first heard of Straight-edge hard-core music for Krishna I was horrified by the idea. Then, when I met young people who were totally convinced of Vaisnavism due to their contacts with this music scene, I recognized my narrow-mindedness in this regard. Today, many Vaisnava rock groups have affiliated with our temples and help bring many souls closer to the Holy Name of Krishna.

We have to judge things by their results. We cannot expect all devotees of the Lord to act in the same way. Krishna loves variety. If, however, He is displeased with some adjustment made in a mission, it will come to be known soon or later. As long as we do not forget the essence of Krishna Consciousness, all differences can be harmonized with a generous mind. In this way, we will see that Lord Chaitanya's plan is really for the whole world; and we will not be surprised of all the new variations that arise as Krishna conquers the hearts of people around the world.

Brihat Kirtan

Harmonizing the devotional community could be compared to harmonizing a large kirtan. An inspirational kirtan requires the cooperation of many different types of devotees under proper guidance and conception. It is the responsibility of spiritual authorities with vision to arrange the kirtan with everyone's benefit in mind. Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur states that the more advanced devotees should lead the kirtan so that everyone may benefit. A devotee should not lead a kirtan simply to satisfy his ambitious, passionate nature, ignoring more qualified devotees. Fancy mirdanga playing with excessively loud beats that drown out the chanting and call too much attention to the player are also to be avoided. The instruments used are meant to support the chanting of the Holy Names: the focus and center of any kirtan being the Name of Krishna. The yuga dharma is coming together to glorify Krishna through his Names and the Name should be the prominent vibration supported by all other vibrations.

Life in a community, like a kirtan, requires constant harmonization and protection. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Prabhupad used to hold meetings in which disciples who did not appreciate each other had to say something good about the other person. Srila Sridhar Maharaj also taught us that it is simply a waste of time to go adjust the environment - to adjust everything and everyone around ourselves. Time is better spent 'oiling our own machine' or working on our own Krishna Consciousness. Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj changed forever the lifes of countless Westerners by his personal example.

The Title Prabhupad

In my experience in the Gaudiya Math I have often come across mixed feelings with respect to Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj being called Prabhupad by his disciples in front of his godbrothers, or, on the other hand, the not calling him Prabhupad by his godbrothers. Overall, I believe the topic of who can be called Prabhupad and when one can be called by that name can be harmonized quite easily.

We all know that the title Srila Prabhupad has been given to great acharyas in our sampradaya in the past. (Even other caste Goswamis use it for their gurus.) Every spiritual master is also considered a great acharya by his disciples and, as a representative of his guru's line, he is no more or less than other spiritual masters. Whatever name or title a spiritual master accepts to be called by his disciples is really of no business to his godbrothers. But, as godbrothers, they also have a valid name for him. This sentiment is understandable in that it would bring about equal confusion for each of us if one of our godbrothers began being called the very same name which we are accustomed to use for our guru. It is for this reason that Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaj's godbrothers call him Swami Maharaj to this day. Since this book is meant for all members of the Gaudiya Math family, we have also used his original sannyas name.

It should be understood that it is never a mistake to call one's guru by the name one has learned, but in front of the guru's godbrothers it is the proper etiquette to call him by the name known by his godbrothers. The disciple should also learn not to feel disturbed or upset when his guru's godbrother call his guru by their private brotherly name. Sometimes a godbrother may make an exception to encourage the disciples of his godbrother, or he may have accepted his godbrother as his siksa guru and thus also call him his guru name. Such a behavior, however, should not be expected. Nor should we be surprised if other great Vaisnavas do not consider our guru to have the same exclusive importance as we do.

Only if such a standard can be introduced will missions and leaders be able to freely associate with respect and a strong sentiment of Unity in Diversity. I think that is what all of us really aspire for. After the physical departure of even the most powerful acharyas in the world, the Vaisnava world is the only hope for disciples to happily continue in separation from their guru. This is my understanding of proper Vaisnava etiquette regarding names of gurus; and it is my heartfelt wish that we can all create a VVRS-WVA environment where the non offensive Vaisnavas will share with each other and help to protect each other's preaching efforts and successes.

Every acharya will always be seen in the light of the contribution he gave to the sampradaya. There is no need to demonstrate the importance of our gurus by attaching numbers of exclusive titles and glorification to his name. On the other hand, if some disciples feel comfortable by glorifying their guru with many titles, we should be generous enough to accept that. However, let me ask you a question. Why is nobody anxious to attach many titles to Narada Muni or Sukadev Goswami when they speak about them? I fear that as long as we make the names an issue of contempt, we are not really in contact with the substance.

Divine Reconciliation

Vaisnavas of the world unite for an increased effort to save the conditioned souls from their karmic reactions. Let us all create the loving network which will properly exhibit the dignity of the supreme Lord Sri Krishna and all his empowered beloved sons and daughters. The Visva Vaisnava Raj Sabha - World Vaisnava Association is the perfect forum through which we can all associate within the plan of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore, let us join together at meetings, Melas, and festivals of the VVRS-WVA. Let us share our preaching accomplishments and encourage each other by hearing from each other. When Srila Sukadev Goswami spoke, all the sages of India came to listen. It is well known that the lord conveys his blessings through his devotees. Thus, we need each other's association. Taking a straw between my lips I fall at your feet and beg you not to deprive all of us of your holy association.

If we can present the world with the religious culture of the Vedic tradition and a new strength of Unity in Diversity, we will all sing and dance with increased happiness. Strong, independent acharyas and Vaisnava missions will all stand up for the one truth of Love Supreme. They will do so not to control each other, but to exhibit the glories of this living tradition which continuously grows as more and more people with Vaisnava faith work to carry on the sacred tradition of the guru parampara. Additional facilities such as the Internet allow for Vaisnavas to communicate with each other all over the world. It also allows for the accessibility of information on Vaisnava missions and their literature for the majority of households in the world.

Whatever differences may have existed in the past are instrumental in the growth of our transcendental understandings. Broadmindedness and Vaisnava love, beyond the limits of one mission or another, is a symptom of an advanced Vaisnava. It will not always be easy, and some problems will not be resolved in a day, but this is not important. The effort is the glory in itself which protects us from any failure.

All true Vaisnavas are members of this sanga. No formalities are required to be a part of it. But, if we want this forum to be more effective, it will take many qualified Vaisnavas to invest a lot of energy and ideas. All volunteers should try to meet and gather further strength and ideas to make all Vaisnavas happy. In this way the Vaisnava world will further enhance the Golden age of the spiritual renaissance begun by Lord Sri Chaitanya in this age of Kali.

Again, I beg to be forgiven for the omissions and possible mistakes made in this presentation. Time has been short and we want to offer this publication to you in the year of the 100 birthday of Srila Bhakti Promode Puri Maharaj, the President of the VVRS-WVA. All Glories to him and to all the living disciples of Srila Prabhupad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur. They have done a marvelous job to help this sanga come together and have blessed us with their association and encouragement. They, and all the Vaisnavas make living in this world bearable. We fall at their feet and pray for causeless blessings. Let the glorious kirtan of the Gaudiya Math branches embrace the world, so that the jivas may discover real Love.

Full Article: http://www.vrindavan.org/English/Books/GM/GMIV.html

When I lived at my local temple I always found that some devotees that were very enthusiastic for kirtan in the temple were reluctant to go to the street and confront the public, many living outside the temple and fearing seeing friends and coworkers while on kirtan. Our temple is the opposite situation, most residents and guests are US natives and deity worship is very attractive, I don't think that's an issue at all. I just think 'Hare Krishnas' got a bad rep from some people associated with the movement. That is manifest in maybe a reluctance to take the movement seriously by a skeptical public (I was very skeptical at one time).

Coooool....

so it is bonafide to compose songs for this age and times 2007 !

But it should be touching the heart, the music should trigger of a feeling of love for GOD:pray: .

Or the music should sent shivers through the spine :eek3: or make the hairs standing on end:eek: , should make people enthusiastic :eek2: and interested in where this kind of music and mantra's are coming from, it should generate curiosity

and wonder, they should jump around,:bounce: what do these mantra's mean and believe me, it should alter the consciousness while playing,:namaskar: people should be struck :eek3: like being struck by a beam of lightning while listening, they should think their materialistic lives over:crazy: .......:crazy2: or am i exagerating now ?

Or playing with the smilies ?

I don't know, that's just the way i experience a good piece of music.

Anyway, yes, me also was very sceptical with the Hare Krishna movement, when i saw them on the streets in Rotterdam, i thought at that time like : "what are these bunch of lunatics:wacko: jumping up and down :bounce: in dresses and so on".

But this was many years ago, more than 15.

Also they had a bad reputation at that time, what i heard of them, like you had to give up family :smash: and i felt it was some kind of sect:mad: .

And now...:rolleyes: ....look where i am !!!

Erik.

PS...forgive me my playing around like a child with these smilies, it doesn't appear very serious.....:confused: . I am almost 39 !! Oh well.....:)

The only non-kirtan Vaisnava music I have is the Radha-Krishna temple (which is pretty much kirtans with alternate instruments) and a couple Laya Lakshmi CDs (again kirtans really). My concern is I'm a bit uncomfortable when I don't know the consciousness something was made with, but I'm be open to hear devotional music in other styles. Any recommendations? I would prefer something along the lines of the Grateful Dead or Allman Brothers. It seems to me the Lord will reveal Himself through pop music even when we aren't looking for Him:

Youre my blue sky, you're my sunny day.

Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way,

Turn your love my way, yeah.

:)

I can give you the 'Hare Krishna' purports to most any Grateful Dead song BTW :). I used to sneak out and go to Dead dances when I was a Bramachari because I would hear Guru so strongly through the lyrics to the songs I had been listening to for years. After I took initiation it just got stronger. OK, I'm a freak, hopefully the above isn't really offensive.

I can give you the 'Hare Krishna' purports to most any Grateful Dead song BTW :). I used to sneak out and go to Dead dances when I was a Bramachari because I would hear Guru so strongly through the lyrics to the songs I had been listening to for years. After I took initiation it just got stronger. OK, I'm a freak, hopefully the above isn't really offensive.

While my vision is very limited. I think this is a sign of spiritual advancement. You are beginning to see Krishna everywhere.

By the way, I highly recommend anything by As Kindred Spirits. Gauravani Prabhu (son of famous kirtaniya and ACBSP disciple Bharadraj Prabhu) does some very sweet arrangements of Vaishnava bhajans and a couple of original English songs ("Spiritual Vision" is a favorite).

While I like and respect Rasa for their own inventive arrangements, I find their music to be *too* polished and, ultimately, sterile. To be fair, their latest album was much more soulful and not as rigidly bound by sequenced beats.

Harer Nama, Harer Nama, Harer Nama eva kevalam...

Hey man,

yeah, Rasa, i really like the CD "Union", the Guru Puja song and the Govindam song, the first song i don't like.

And "Temple of Love" is very auspicious, i played some songs during Yoga class, i think the first song, while i was undergoing some Kundalini thing, my heart opened up, you won't believe, but it didn't last.....even the memory has faded away.

By the way...how can i listen to these Greatfull Death songs ?

Are they on www.youtube.com ?

I know a Kirtan on youtube i listened to when i was just a few months here, i was swept away by the lady leading the Kirtan, actually it was a Harinam and they are devotees of Chicago, USA.

But this lady sang so nice and her appearance was (and is) so enchanting, her movements everything....:pray: ..weird huh ?

I watched and listened to this video many times, chanted many times in the same rhythms before sleep, now not anymore, but if you wanna know..here is the link...

Haribolo,

Erik.

PS...i was a little enthusiastic with my comments....

The Grateful Dead were an American rock band in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's, and basically ended when the lead guitarist Jerry Garcia left his body. Though not overtly God conscious, they were theists, and wrote many songs that spoke to me and many others about the Lord. Lots of 'Deadheads' are devotees now, and the Dead had a 'scene' that was very condusive to sharing, encouraging spiritual growth. You kind of had to be there though.

Yeah,

i know, i was always very attracted to this time, watching Woodstock many times, tripping while hearing and watching the song : "Gonna take you higher" by Afro-Americans, i forgot their names, i wished i was there, and offcourse my man, Jimi Hendrix.

I also like Molly Hatched, especially the song : "dreams i'll never see", actually i dreamt this song partially in Dehra Dun 2002.

I should have known then that many bad dreams :eek3: were not coming true.

I will check youtube myself a little later on, thankx,

Erik.

Guest guest

I had a problem the other day, Sri brajeshwara das seemed to be dissing me, but I knew it wasnt true, and he even verified that it wasnt true. Ya see, Im kinda long in the tooth, and I can recognize a dead head from anywhere in cyber space. When jerry passed on I wrote his tribute, to "the dark star and the morning dew".

Jerry passed on all he appreciated about Srila Prabhupada to others. Thus, he was a first class preacher, because many great musicians accepted Srila Prabhupada as the greatest musician. Somewhere in these audarya files, there is a conversation I had with the late Srimate Jayaradhe devi dasi about the rolling stone article about the musician poll attributing the great musicians. It all came down to eric clapton, who denied it deferring to george harrison, who deferred to Srila Prabhupada. In SF, it was the same way. Hare Krsna, as sung by Srila Prabhupada, was the anthem of the hippie movement (before the funeral). Jorma sung it, jerry sung in, barry sang it, the hells angels SF chapter would thump ya if you didnt sing it.

I didnt6 make the show that is postered by brajeshwara das below, but I did hear the clamorring and the praise of Srila Prabhupada from not ISKCON sources, at steamer lane (santa cruz surf spot) for many weekends after the show.

Dead heads, gotta admit, I was one of them, way back, about the time Alligator was released on the anthym of the sun album. My favorite song is "thats it for the Other One".

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

now they know, brajeshwara das

Dead heads, gotta admit, I was one of them, way back, about the time Alligator was released on the anthym of the sun album. My favorite song is "thats it for the Other One".

Alligator:

Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun

Sleepin by the river just like he usually done

Call for his whisky

He can call for his tea

Call all he wanta but he

can't call me

Oh no

I been there before

and I'm not comin back around

there no more

Creepy alligator comin all around the bend

Talkin bout the times when we was mutual friends

I check my mem'ry

I check it quick yes I will

I check it runnin

some old kind of trick

Oh no well I

been there before

and I ain't a comin back around

there no more

no I'm not

hung up waitin' for a windy day

Hung up waitin for a windy day

Tear down the Fillmore,

Gas the Avalon

Ridin down the river in an old canoe

a bunch of bugs and an old tennis shoe

out of the river all ugly and green

the biggest old alligator that I've ever seen

teeth big and pointed and his eyes were buggin out

contact the union, put the beggars to route

screamin and yellin and lickin his chops

he never runs he just stumbles and hops

just out of prison on six dollars bail

mumblin at bitches and waggin his tail

Alligator runnin round my door (4x)

Alligator creepin round the corner of my cabin door

He's comin round to bother me some more

~~~

</pre>Purport: We are not the body, we have had so many previous births, and we should try and get ourselves out NOW, back to Godhead. The Alligator is bad association, our old self or our old tendencies incarnate in a lower creature. We should try to avoid him or he will devour us. We have to be ever vigilant to make sure he doesn't sneak up and bite us!

Guest guest

even their name refers to at least the beginning stages of spiritual insight, aham brahmasmi.

Did anyone here go to altamont, the free stones concert held at the speedway near lawrence livermore laboratories? 1969, well the dead did not play that day, but the airplane did an exemplary set. However, between the airplane and crosby stills nash (and young, for the first time, BTW), jerry got up there, unannounced, and played around with some amplifiers, sending feedback around the cosmos. Yeah, I had a little that day, it was before I met my siksas and got led to Srila Prabhupada, but the sound was quite sublime, and I was over a mile away. Altamont got a bad rap because the angels stabbed that devil worshipper who was going to kill jagger that day, but woodstock had four senseless murders. At least the angels did a good security job that day, which was what they were hired for, and they pushed marty balin off the stage during the airplane set, which was also okay for me, too, more room for jorma and jack. Neither statistic is bad, considering you had a makeshift city of 250,000 to 300,000 on each occasion.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa