IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
brajeshwara das

Chanting while driving

Rate this topic

I have had experiences with devotees chanting while driving, I didn't want to cause offense but is this an OK practice? It seems you couldn't really focus on eaither correctly, and though I am plenty guilty for inattentive chanting with my mind wandering off constantly, it seems there is no way to not be inattentive while driving.

If driving is something to be avoided while chanting, what else should be avoided? I walk while chanting for example. Though moving much more slowly and at much less risk, maybe it is a similar situation.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Guest guest

Haribol prabhu. I totally understand your dilemma, and it is actually quite frequently discussed. The main feeling about inattentive chanting is simply that it's better than no chanting at all. It is said that "Even inattentive chanting is better than vibrating Maya’s glories, and will help lead us on to greater degrees of acceptance and pleasure in the chanting, especially if we are indeed chanting our daily 16 nicely also. Even inattentive chanting is better than a void!"

So although inattentive chanting is one of the ten offenses that can be made while chanting, chanting while driving is better than allowing ourselves to slip back into Maya's trap. Also, Srila Prabhupada wrote that chanting can be done anywhere, at any time, and it will be beneficial. He recommended to always have the holy name on our lips, no matter what our other activities were.

"Even by chanting the Holy Name, not even fully purely, one can be freed from all sinful effects."

Haribol prabhu. I totally understand your dilemma, and it is actually quite frequently discussed. The main feeling about inattentive chanting is simply that it's better than no chanting at all. It is said that "Even inattentive chanting is better than vibrating Maya’s glories, and will help lead us on to greater degrees of acceptance and pleasure in the chanting, especially if we are indeed chanting our daily 16 nicely also. Even inattentive chanting is better than a void!"

So although inattentive chanting is one of the ten offenses that can be made while chanting, chanting while driving is better than allowing ourselves to slip back into Maya's trap. Also, Srila Prabhupada wrote that chanting can be done anywhere, at any time, and it will be beneficial. He recommended to always have the holy name on our lips, no matter what our other activities were.

"Even by chanting the Holy Name, not even fully purely, one can be freed from all sinful effects."

I totally agree except that I don't think it should be done on the japa while driving. I'll listen to kirtans and lectures and chant while driving, but chanting on our malas are service to our Gurudeva, and it seems to me we should try to the best of our ability to do that service nicely. For many of us this is one of the few direct orders we have received, so it seems especially troubling to me. Anyway, not really a big deal for me, I was just wondering what the bottom line was. Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

Is it true that Bhagavad Gita As it Is claims that women are not intelligent? In chapter four it says so..

I found this: Chaitanya Charitamrta A.L. ch. 7, purport of verses 32 and 38. "...since both boys and girls are being trained to become preachers those girls are not ordinary girls but are as good as their brothers who are preaching Krishna Consciousness. Therefore to engage both boys and girls in fully transcendental activities is a policy intended to spread the Krishna Consciousness movement... The results of this are wonderful. Both men and women are preaching the gospel of Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Lord Krishna with redoubled strength."

It may indeed say women are less intelligent, meaning women who haven't taken to spiritual life. I know this may be hard to accept but if you understand that we get the bodies we have depending on our conditioning and attachments, on our consciousness, you can see there will be general tendencies for each sex. Men are generally more violent, for example. Who would deny that?

Guest guest

I was wondering whether Bagavad Gita AS IT IS really as it is? Cause the sloka dosen't say that women are not intelligent. But Prabhupad claims says that in his purport. And he claim As it Is!!!This is due to his wife saying she can't give up Tea. but not alll women are the same. There are some who is really spiritual. He have done that to most of his books - Giving his own opinion.

I was wondering whether Bagavad Gita AS IT IS really as it is? Cause the sloka dosen't say that women are not intelligent. But Prabhupad claims says that in his purport. And he claim As it Is!!!This is due to his wife saying she can't give up Tea. but not alll women are the same. There are some who is really spiritual. He have done that to most of his books - Giving his own opinion.

It would be helpful if you reference the purport, otherwise there isn't much to discuss.

Also Srila Prabhupada may be referencing other scripture. As I recall Srimad Bhagavatam also says some things concerning women's intelligence, so I believe there is scriptural basis for his commentary, even if it may not be in the Bhagavad Gita. (I'll have to look that up) Again, remember transmigration of souls is based on the jiva's consciousness and that would be manifest in the sort of body you receive.

Haribol, Brajeshwara Prabhu!

I haven't been on the forum for a while and it's nice to see you.

I chant while I'm driving, mainly because I'm on tour with my book right now and spend on average about four to five hours in my car everyday. The rest of the time I meeting people at my signings and in crowds. Since driving is the only time I have alone I use it to do my rounds.

I make many offenses and I know that chanting while driving is terrible but I still do it. I know that otherwise I would be chanting at 10 or 11pm at night when I'm very tired and cannot focus and will be really inattentive anyway. And I don't like going to bed without chanting, although I've done that several times during this tour and I'm ashamed of it. So the only time I get is when I driving. I try to put on a tape of Prabhupada chanting and have that in the background as I chanting to give myself a bit more focus but I still know that it is inattentive and not an ideal situation.

The only alternative is to not chant and I find that option difficult to swallow. I can't sleep properly if I haven't done my rounds.

Jai

Depends on which takes priority.

When I was very young, (ca 1967), I was very intensely attracted to chanting. I was doing 25 or so rounds a day (no, not a devotee of high calibre, because I was doing many hash oil joints also at the time). On my ten speed bicycle, no less. Well. with the hash oil and the intense chanting, I never looked where I was going, on a busy hilly road (PCH in Laguna beach) on my way to Mystic Arts. I dont think it was offensive, because as kanistha adhikari, I was in the offensive stage (still there BTW). But it was very dangerous. Since I was very lively and careless, I was dangerous anyway. Thank God I was always chanting then, because Lord Yama followed me wherever I went, either on 20 footers at steamer lane or on my suicidal treks on me bike.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

PS: Old timers, correct me if I am wrong, but I kinda remember some disciples of Srila Prabhupada in those early stages got killed in an auto accident, and he said they all went back home. He also recommended that one can certainly chant while doing other things, but these dont count toward your 16 round total, these are extras. He be a funny mon, eh?

Is it true that Bhagavad Gita As it Is claims that women are not intelligent? In chapter four it says so..

Yea... Prabhupada said that in his commentary on the Gita... that's what made me stop reading his translation and commentary. Krishna never says it though, Prabhupada said it. He was actually commenting on a verse in which Krishna says that if women fall into sin, the whole world does (I had always taken it to mean that women are SO important that if they're polluted, the whole world goes into chaos, but I guess Prabhupada took it to mean they were idiots... which I'm sure is NOT what Krishna meant.). It's especially ridiculous and hypocritical b/c he talks so highly of Srimati Radharani and the Gopikas of Vrindavan (as he should)... I guess he never understood that They're girls?

No... not at all... he adds his own commentary throughout the whole thing... he mixes his words w/ Lord Krishna's and everything... I recommend the translation by Eknath Easwaran... he has an introduction at the beginning, but that's it, and it's not a commentary. I, personally, am usually bugged by commentaries... if it's what Krishna said, does it really need explaining? Doesn't He do well enough explaining His thoughts w/out our input?

Radhe Radhe! :D

Not understanding or partial knowledge is so dangerous. The misunderstanding of gender issues is what made ISKCON into the mess it is in. There is no greater crime than mysogeny.

That said, Srila Prabhupada does NOT denegrate women. On the contrary, he has clearly stated that their attributes of loyalty and devotion are far superior to that of a male. What is bhakti? Devotion to God. Who is the Goddess of devotion? Srimati Radharani. Who are the great heroes that Prabhupada gives us? Queens Draupadi and Kunthi.

The problem is that before one can even enter the darsana of Srila Prabhupada, genderism, racism, ageism, all these isms, must be gone from the consciousness. Bhagavad Gita is useless literature for thoise who falsely identify the body as the self. This is why the mysogeny practiced by all religions, including the leadership of the ISKCON religion, has nothing at all to do with yoga.

Dont throw the baby away with the bathwater. I accept your disgust, I share your disgust, but Srila Prabhupada, when speaking of Vaisnava, is not in the world of white black man woman jew hindu. All that crap is useless, temporary, will-o-the-wisp. Srila Prabhupada may say not to associate with women, but he also says to associate with vaisnavas. If his so-called ministers decide to reject vaisnavas because they have a certain gender, then we reject them as great offenders.

On a bio and social level, to not accept the difference between races, genders, etc, this is pretense.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

Yea... Prabhupada said that in his commentary on the Gita... that's what made me stop reading his translation and commentary. Krishna never says it though, Prabhupada said it. He was actually commenting on a verse in which Krishna says that if women fall into sin, the whole world does (I had always taken it to mean that women are SO important that if they're polluted, the whole world goes into chaos, but I guess Prabhupada took it to mean they were idiots... which I'm sure is NOT what Krishna meant.). It's especially ridiculous and hypocritical b/c he talks so highly of Srimati Radharani and the Gopikas of Vrindavan (as he should)... I guess he never understood that They're girls?

He meant the women who have not taken to Krishna Conciousness. Women who are not inclined for spiritual life. He would never ever think of criticizing the gopis of Vrindavana.

Both women and men who have not taken to Krishna consciousness are fools and Prabhupada has said this of both genders- he is not biased.

Prabhupada was a pure devotee- I wouldn't try to find fault in him. Many times in the scriptures (the actual Sanskrit) they say that- this scripture is for people of the lower classes- women, sudras, etc. This refers to those who have not taken to Krishna Conciousness. A sudra is one who is a Krishna viruddhi- one who goes against Krishna. Even if is born in a sudra family but is KC he/she should be considered a brahmana. Mahabharata itself says that this literature is good for lower classes such as women and sudras- but I don't think now we should go to the Himalayas and start yelling at Krishna's incarnation Vedavyasa for writing that. Instead we should try to understand the context in which he wrote that. Don't you agree?

Chanting while driving is fine. Just be careful if it makes you drowsy. Anything that leads you into an altered state of consciousness is going to be a safety risk and you should be aware of how it is going to affect you before you make a habit out of driving at the same time.

What about waking up early to do your rounds..? probably better than doing it while driving.. I don't think japa mala should be done while driving. You are putting yourself and others in danger, since you are being distracted to chant your rounds.

I usually just listen to devotional music, bhajans or kirtans in my car and I chant along.

Hari Bol.

Haribol, Brajeshwara Prabhu!

I haven't been on the forum for a while and it's nice to see you.

I chant while I'm driving, mainly because I'm on tour with my book right now and spend on average about four to five hours in my car everyday. The rest of the time I meeting people at my signings and in crowds. Since driving is the only time I have alone I use it to do my rounds.

I make many offenses and I know that chanting while driving is terrible but I still do it. I know that otherwise I would be chanting at 10 or 11pm at night when I'm very tired and cannot focus and will be really inattentive anyway. And I don't like going to bed without chanting, although I've done that several times during this tour and I'm ashamed of it. So the only time I get is when I driving. I try to put on a tape of Prabhupada chanting and have that in the background as I chanting to give myself a bit more focus but I still know that it is inattentive and not an ideal situation.

The only alternative is to not chant and I find that option difficult to swallow. I can't sleep properly if I haven't done my rounds.

Jai

Those who think chanting is fancy, its ok for them. Chanting is deferent listening is deferent. I have seen people who listening to bhanjans while they do work or driving. In my opinion it is some how ok. Because they are hearing the name of god.

But chanting is some thing needs your full concentration. Each words has it significance. While chanting nay mantra if you stress any wrong word it may cause wrong effect. It has been proven.

I personally do not know why people are doing deferent karma at same time.

It is good to keep chanting all the time.The name of the lord is your best companion never part with It.

Yes, we can chant it but it probably wont be too pure because or attention is diverted...however there is no harm in chanting in the car. Just don't do it on your beads, you might have an accident.

I personally listen to bhajans in the car.