IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Banned Vegetables

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Can someone please provide the full list of banned vegetables from the Hari Bhakti Vilasa? I understand red vegetables are banned, but I also hear conflicting information on okra and eggplant.

I am specifically interested in the position on vegetables of foreign origin like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers....

Thanks

All for your good, those rules. The sages of the yore experienced the effects of different foodstuffs and wrote accordingly. We may not be subtle enough to notice their effects amidst our gross indulgent state, but each ingredient has particular qualities that can be either conducive, neutral or contrary to creating an optimal situation for sadhana-practice.

Why exactly do some devotees consider red foods forbidden. Is it because of the effects on the mind or is there some other reason given?

I have never heard of someone becoming all agitated after eatting a tomato or carrot. There must be another reason given.

Don't the Puranas tell a story about some cow being killed and it's blood flowed into the earth becoming red vegetables or something like that? I know some devotees consider that some of these red vegetables as meat citing the Puranas. There was such a thread here years ago to that effect otherwise I never heard of it before. Were they wrong in that there is no such story?