IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Jesus in the Aquarian Gospel

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Aquarian Gospel of Jesus Christ

By: Pradeep Sharma

To some believers of the [Christian] faith the Aquarian Gospel is thought to be a book of great antiquity that verifies that Jesus journeyed to India in his youth. A general impression among some people seems to abound that Jesus came to learn from the wise in India and that he also visited temples and worshipped God [Krishna] there. Nothing however could be farther from the truth.

The Aquarian Gospel is not actually a Christian gospel recognized by religious scholars. This pretence of a Christian gospel is the recent work of a 20th century American named Levi H. Dowling that he supposedly channeled from the Akashic [universal] records in 1908.

In the Aquarian Gospel where it is mentioned that Jesus went to Puri [in India] it also says that Jesus criticized the Deity of Lord Jagannath. We have noted that the Aquarian Gospel takes the same stance against the Deity of Lord Jagannath and Vedic Culture as did the bulk of missionaries in India during the 18th and 19th centuries. Possibly Dowling's intent was to gain acceptability for his literary creation among the Christian critics of Jagannath. In any case the Aquarian Gospel casts Jesus in the role not as one who came to India to learn or to worship God in the temples but to criticize Vedic theology and tradition.

Chapter 24 of the Aquarian Gospel states:

"In Puri, Jesus asks the Brahmins about caste. The Brahmins explain that according to the shastra [Vedic scripture], the Brahmins came from the mouth of Parabrahma [God], the kshatriyas [kings] from the arms, the vaishyas [farmers] from the thighs and the shudras [workers] from His feet.

"Jesus exclaims that Parabrahma is not a God of justice and of right; for with his own strong hand he has exulted one and brought another low. The Brahmins become angry at his blasphemy and with threats of violence, drove him from Puri."

Chapter 26 of the Aquarian Gospel states:

"During the Rathayatra festival [temple procession], Jesus witnesses the cart [float] of Jagannath being pulled and says: "Behold, a form without a spirit passes by; a body with no soul; a temple with no altar fires. This car of Krishna is an empty thing, for Krishna is not there. This car is but an idol of a people drunk on wine of carnal things. God lives not in the noise of tongues; there is no way to him from any idol shrine. God's meeting place with man is in the heart, and in a still small voice he speaks; and he who hears is still."

"The people ask Jesus, "To whom shall we bring gifts? Where shall we offer sacrifice? Jesus replies, "Our Father-God asks not for needless waste of plant, of grain, of dove, of lamb. That which you burn on any shrine you throw away. No blessings can attend the one who takes the food from hungry mouths to be destroyed by fire. When you would offer sacrifice unto our God, just take your gift of grain, or meat and lay it on the table of the poor. From it an incense will arise to heaven, which will return to you with blessedness.

"Tear down your idols; they can hear you not; turn all your sacrificial altars into fuel for the flames. Make human hearts your altars, and burn your sacrifices with the fire of love."

The above reference certainly contains a mixture of both pleasing and disturbing words. Such is the handy work of Dowling. Throw in a few words at the end like "human hearts", "love" and "sacrifice" to make it sound like something acceptable, but the gist of the above quote, if indeed true, certainly makes Jesus out to be exactly like the Christian missionaries in India, biased and offensive.

We have come across some information that some people are saying that Jesus was a pure devotee of Krishna, but according to the Aquarian Gospel, Jesus is cast in the light of being one who does not accept the Deity form of God [Krishna]. This idea is unacceptable — that a pure devotee comes to India, but only finds fault in the Deity and learns nothing.

Our conclusion is that the so-called Aquarian Gospel is a fine work of religious fiction that aligns itself perfectly with the typical prototype of Christian anti-Vedic theology. It certainly casts no good light upon Jesus.

"Regarding Aquarian Gospel of Lord Jesus The Christ, I have taken some stray extracts just to support our views, but we don't give any importance to that book. The best thing is that we accept Lord Jesus Christ as a great devotee of the Lord and the son of God. It is better not to discuss in any detail about the Christian religion or any other religion." -Srila Prabhupada in a letter to Tamala Krsna 1969

I was in Srila Prabhupada's room in LA in 1975 with a couple of other devotees getting it cleaned and ready for Srila Prabhupada's arrival.

there was a bookshelf in that room that had several books on it.

I was allowed to look at the bookshelf and I pulled out a copy of the Aquarian Gospel.

Throughout the book there were many passages that had been highlighted with a yellow highlighter marker.

it was the first time I had ever heard of that book, so when I saw the title there on the shelf it caught my eye.

I remember that the senior Godbro that was with us there said something about Srila Prabhupada saying that the book was bona-fide shastra.

I think that Godbro was Puru das, but I am sure he won't remember telling me that back in 1975.

Back then, I really looked up to Puru das.

He gave classes in the evening before the evening program and all us new bhaktas were told to attend.

I know Puru is a good devotee.

But, we have serious differences now over the ritvik thing and Narayana Maharaja.

Guest guest

"Regarding Aquarian Gospel of Lord Jesus The Christ, I have taken some stray extracts just to support our views, but we don't give any importance to that book. The best thing is that we accept Lord Jesus Christ as a great devotee of the Lord and the son of God. It is better not to discuss in any detail about the Christian religion or any other religion." -Srila Prabhupada in a letter to Tamala Krsna 1969

When Sp said these things the world was different than it is today. Today the exploitation mentality has come to a head. Does any devotee out there really believe the war in Iraq is about stopping terrorism? It is about usurping the worlds resources and is being justified in the name of the asuric religions because that is what these religions teach. They are all about exploitation and being the controllers of this world. Every side can show how they are right using their Bible, Torah or Koran. The Moslems, Jews and Christians are at war at this time in history. It is time to debunk all their philosophies. It is time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

When Sp said these things the world was different than it is today. Today the exploitation mentality has come to a head. Does any devotee out there really believe the war in Iraq is about stopping terrorism? It is about usurping the worlds resources and is being justified in the name of the asuric religions because that is what these religions teach. They are all about exploitation and being the controllers of this world. Every side can show how they are right using their Bible, Torah or Koran. The Moslems, Jews and Christians are at war at this time in history. It is time to debunk all their philosophies. It is time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I really do not see how your response relates to what Srila Prabhupada said.

Guest guest

It's all about political correctness. No man in his right mind would believe SP respected JC. It was simply to appeal to fanatical christians. So forget about it and put your mind on Krishna.

It's all about political correctness. No man in his right mind would believe SP respected JC. It was simply to appeal to fanatical christians. So forget about it and put your mind on Krishna.

I'm in my right mind, and I believe that SP respected JC.

There are as many fundie Vaisnavas coming out of the woodwork here as there are fundie Christians on their boards.

Fundies, liberals, progressives, middles. We are like a mixed bag of licorice allsorts.

Didn't Srila Prabhupada call Lord Jesus Christ a shaktyavesa avatara. A soul empowered by the Lord's shakti?

Did he do this just to appease christians? Or could he see the hand of God, in the person Jesus?

Empowered souls are on many different levels.

Maybe that is what we should discuss. How empowered was Lord Jesus Christ? I think he was graced with a good dose of empowerment.

And...this Aquarian Gospel is a concoction. Written by a man with some insight. Thanks for the article tattva.

Guest guest

I really do not see how your response relates to what Srila Prabhupada said.

"It is better not to discuss in any detail about the Christian religion or any other religion."

Srila Prabhupada

The point is that he spoke according to the time. He was being generous with us because most of us were from Judaeo-Christian backgrounds and he was doing his best to plant the seed of the Holy Name far and wide in the western world. The political climate was much different than it is today. I believe if he were here to day he would indeed start to give details about Christianity and other western traditions to show how these asuric religions have ushered in Kali Yuga culminating in the present move for globalization. The war in Iraq is part of the move.

Some facts are.

Judaeo Christian traditions took the divinity out of nature. It is common in all three and considered godly to destroy idols, that means deities of demigods and of Vishnu and Krishna and their devotees. This mentality paved the way for unrestricted rape of mother earth. If there is no real personality behind nature then it is ok to exploit her as much as we like. And we do not need to go into detail about how many infidels have been killed by such proponents of said religions.

Judaeo Christian traditions are religions that promote material sense gratification and exploitation.

The messianic message of all Judaeo Christian religions is such that they believe the end is coming soon, so there is no need to conserve anything for the future. Fundamentalist of all three traditions have a death wish for mother earth. We have one in the White House at the moment.

Western history is biased in favor of the Judaeo Christian story line and has been for 2,000 years. Even with the latest discoveries over the past two decades they ignore all of it. Case in point the recent discovery of the Sarasvati River. The discovery of cities off the coast of India under the sea. The list of discoveries goes on and on but is ignored. On the other hand the slightest shred of evidence that promotes the Biblical view is given great coverage. Later of course most of the discoveries in favor of the Biblical Myths turn out to be fakes.

Judaeo Christian religion is the prime cause of atheism in the world today.

Athiests are gaining more converts from mentioned religions than Vaishnavas are at the present simply because they are telling it like it is concerning the cheating business Abrahamic religions have engaged in for 2,000 years.

I believe a bone-fide acharya would agree on every point. Perhaps they would have more tact than I. But they will agree I am telling the truth.

Guest guest

There are as many fundie Vaisnavas coming out of the woodwork here as there are fundie Christians on their boards.

Suuuure. But the fundie Vaishnavas are not preventing you from building krishna temples. Fundie christians are. Insignificant diff., I am sure.

The point is that he spoke according to the time. He was being generous with us because most of us were from Judaeo-Christian backgrounds and he was doing his best to plant the seed of the Holy Name far and wide in the western world.

Nonsense. I hear this all the time by you characters who won't take his straight forward words straight and insist on clarifying how Srila Prabhupada really meant the opposite of what he said.

It's been a few years but I once read most every reference in Folio of everything recorded Srila Prabhupada every said on Jesus Christ. Try it some time before you start reinterpreting his words. It's offensive.

They are not realized Vaisnavas. They are kanistha's who are conditioned to their sectarian view of vaisnavism. Many of them still regard vaisnavism as a sect of hinduism and other such nonsense. That is what colors their reading of Srila Prabhupada's words. He is speaking from a transcendental perspective and not a hindu one.

Well we are all materialist devotees with our past conditioning yet to overcome. Maybe it was an advantage to grow up a nonreligious atheist afterall. I never have considered myself a Christian or a Hindu but I have other designations to give up.

Do you think we need to make a distiction here. Between the person Lord Jesus Christ, and the history that has eventuated after him. What do you think?

It's to obvious for many to see I guess bija. Say something in praise of Christ or quote Srila prabhupada doing so and the tirades about the crusades or inquistion come pouring in.

It's like mentioning Lord Caitanya and someone starts deriding him because of the sahajiya fakes.

Guest guest

I see 'some' of your points.

Do you think we need to make a distiction here. Between the person Lord Jesus Christ, and the history that has eventuated after him. What do you think?

Here is a link to a Paul Simon song called 'Wartime

Interesting song. Thanks I liked it.

Once upon a time I used to preach the same way Mahaksa Prabhu preaches, picking the things from the Bible that were favorable and disregarding the rest. After 9/11 I decided to make a closer look at Islam, Judaism and Christianity. In order to understand Christianity one must also study Judaism. After my studies I have concluded that indeed there is a very weak case for Jesus. Did he exist? I think he did. But in his time I think he was a minor figure among many 'want to be' messiahs, but somehow, with the help of Paul, his story won over the other stories and he became the most popular god-man. If he did exist he was nothing like we have been led to believe. It appears Paul was the greatest proponent of Jesus and responsible for the Christianity we have today. He disagreed with the original apostles concerning the teachings of Jesus but his version of Christianity has flourished even though he never saw Jesus except in a vision. In fact if Jesus did exist he was the leader of an extreme Jewish Cult who wanted to get back to a more pure form of Judaism and he played the role of their messiah who was going to fulfill the prophecies of the Bible. The problem is the farther you go back in the history of Judaism the more barbaric it gets. The seed of Judaism has no purity at all. How can the fruit of a bad seed be good? Not possible. Just study the Old and New Testament if you do not believe this. And if you want to disregard these writings about the life of Jesus and the history of Judaism you do not have anything left to go on.

I know some will argue in favor of such works as the Gospel of Twelve or the Aquarian Gospel but these cannot really be taken seriously. Later writings about Jesus have been debunked as fabrications and hoaxes in every case. One who believes such writings will believe anything. But I do admit the two texts mentioned above and other writings coming from new age channelers and other such questionable sources is much more enlightened than the Bible. But who can accept the work of such persons who have no spiritual line and claim to have visions and a direct link through the holy spook?? The most authentic account of Jesus is the New Testament compiled starting 60 years after his death and written by those who never even saw him.

Is anyone getting any of this?

Many were vying for the position of Messiah at the time of Jesus but none could fill the ticket or pull off the prophecies. Simon Magus and John the Baptist were both competing messiahs and there were others also trying to fill the spot. Jesus just happened to be the one Paul picked to be the real messiah. But he put a different spin on what the messiah had really come for. The Jews were expecting a king to lead them to a glorious kingdom on earth but Jesus got himself crucified. Paul capitalized on the sentiment of the people who were hopeless because the prophecies of the OT had not come to pass and no messiah could pass the test or lead them to their glorious kingdom on earth. Paul was no doubt very charismatic and he persuaded many. He had a good strategy and gave the people what they were looking for. Plus he opened Jesus up to everyone. Now both Jews and Gentiles could get to heaven cheaply. Prior to Paul all followers of Jesus were Jews. It was a small Jewish cult. Paul gave them new hope with the new Jesus story. Most missed the whole thing and had to rely of Paul and later writers of the gospels. Paul had to spin the story himself and convinced them that Jesus was in fact the only Messiah and would be returning soon to judge the living and the dead just like the Bible said.. He made it easy to become a Christian by throwing out all the laws Jesus said he had come to uphold, all the barbaric laws like circumcision were dismissed by Paul. All you had to do was declare your faith in Jesus and everlasting enjoyment of the senses in heaven was the reward. Paul said Jesus would be returning soon and every generation since then has been saying Jesus is returning soon. Paul created the messiah out of a mediocre god man that got crucified. He took all the attributes of other god-men all the miracles etc. and combined them all in Jesus. The reason Jesus is not mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls is because he did not do all the big things he was creditied with. Paul gave the people the super hero god they were looking for. Better than any of the previous gods of Greece or Rome and easy to approach with a better reward for surrendering.

Do not despair for the messiah has come, the kingdom of heaven is at hand...etc..etc...

Later the Pagan Roman Emperor Constantine wanted one religion he could unite Rome under. He saw the utility of one government under one god. He paid to have the Bible compiled and called for the councel at Nicea which cemented it all together combining all the myths of anceint Greece and Rome into the Jesus story and united all under one religion. After it was decided exactly what story they were going to go with all the other stories or gospels were thrown out. After only 300 years there were numeruos and all conflicting stories of who Jesus was. All the other cults that sprang from the Jesus story of Paul were assimilated or destroyed at the councel in 325 ACE. Then they went about doing what they have done for 2,000 years. Destroying everything in their path, all histories, all cultures etc. All through history when they were not killing infidels they were killing each other.

Christians have reeked havoc for 2,000 years. That is Christian history in a nutshell.

So can we separate Jesus from what has been done in his name? I think the answer is NO we can't. He gave no process for self-realization. If we give the benifit of the doubt and say he did give a process, it was lost long ago. What has been left about him is vague and has little substance. Hence the term MAN MADE RELIGION.

If we accept that he really did exist the way we were taught what did he really bring or offer us? The mean and vindictive god of the old testament became a good guy by crucifying his only son?... and now all we have to do is declare our faith in him by drinking his blood and eating his flesh? No sane man can accept such none sense.

All sentiment aside it is better to go with modern historians and scholars on this issue. Most agree Jesus is a myth. I have come to believe the Jesus story is the biggest hoax of Kali Yuga.

For one drop of nectar in the Bible there is a gallon of poison and the history of Christianity and Judaism proves it. (as a side point the history of Islam is equally barbaric and gory if not more, Islam also claims heritage from the Old Testament) So no we cannot separate Jesus from what has been done in his name without spinning or fabricating yet another story that contradicts the Bible.

A few obscure Vaishnavas are going to tell us the true gospel of Jesus? I don't think so. I do not trust any thing that does not come in disciplic succession from authorized sources.

I do not believe there is anything at all holy about a ghost that causes people to make up absurd stories.

I recommend we preach from the books of our acharyas and debunk the barbaric asuric religions and leave those with asuric mentalities no reason to fight with each other.

Guest guest

Suuuure. But the fundie Vaishnavas are not preventing you from building krishna temples. Fundie christians are. Insignificant diff., I am sure.

Exactamundo!!!

And this is what Vaishnavas and all those of different Vedic traditions need to wake up and understand.

Chrisitans are walking all over India as I speak doing what they have done for thousands of years. Once they get a foothold they are no better than the Moslems.

The only thing that has kept them in check in America is our Constitution which has been trashed by the Christian NEOCON in power now.

The only reason they have lost power in other western countries is because of free thinkers, who have turned agnostic or atheist due to these war mongering religions.

If you live in America and do no realize how close we are to a total fascist state run by conservative Christians, you have not been paying attention.

Guest guest

Nonsense. I hear this all the time by you characters who won't take his straight forward words straight and insist on clarifying how Srila Prabhupada really meant the opposite of what he said.

It's been a few years but I once read most every reference of Srila Prabhupada every said on Jesus Christ. Try it some time before you start reinterpreting his words. It's offensive.

He said conflicting things when it comes to Jesus and Christianity. Just as he said conflicting things when it came to the Jiva issue.

In such a case it is recommended one look at what other acharyas have said In the case of acharyas like BHaktivinode and Srila Sarasvati Thakur they agree Christianity is not a transcendental religion. There fore there is no offense in pointing this out.

Good day.

Guest guest

I can see where you are coming from. These Christian folks that go around India paying poor people money to convert to Chritianity have no idea about the real purpose of religion or God Himself and need to be stopped. However, I fail to understand what that has to do with Jesus Christ, the pure representative of Krishna.

What these Christian fanatic morons are doing is not the least representative of the person they claim to follow.

Exactamundo!!!

And this is what Vaishnavas and all those of different Vedic traditions need to wake up and understand.

Chrisitans are walking all over India as I speak doing what they have done for thousands of years. Once they get a foothold they are no better than the Moslems.

The only thing that has kept them in check in America is our Constitution which has been trashed by the Christian NEOCON in power now.

The only reason they have lost power in other western countries is because of free thinkers, who have turned agnostic or atheist due to these war mongering religions.

If you live in America and do no realize how close we are to a total fascist state run by conservative Christians, you have not been paying attention.

Thanks for your ridiculous opinon dingle-berry but spare me next time.

He said conflicting things when it comes to Jesus and Christianity. Just as he said conflicting things when it came to the Jiva issue.

In such a case it is recommended one look at what other acharyas have said In the case of acharyas like BHaktivinode and Srila Sarasvati Thakur they agree Christianity is not a transcendental religion. There fore there is no offense in pointing this out.

Good day.

OK guest I am calling you out to back up what you say about Prabhupada making conflicting statements. Post those statements or shut up.

I refuse to take Prabhupada filtered through you or anyone else.

I have no more patience for you sectarianists.

You are still so fooolish as to not understand when I we mention Jesus Christ we are not refering to Christianity.

Good day.

the conflict is really just in the mind of people like you who don't know how to understand his positions from a comprehensive overview.

you isolate statements, take partial meanings and distort things with personal misconceptions.

Srila Prabhupada knew what he was saying and was consistent.

What is not consistent is our polluted intelligence and prejudiced mind.

We most often are just victims of our own stupidity and not any conflicting positions of Srila Prabhupada.

After 9/11 I decided to make a closer look at Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

----

The only thing that has kept them in check in America is our Constitution which has been trashed by the Christian NEOCON in power now.quotes by guest

I do not wish to go into politics guest...on a spiritual board. But I notice such sentiments as these quotes in a few of your posts.

Firstly I do not live in America. But like yourself, am disappointed in many of the decision makings and directions things are going. Sepetember 11 and thereafter has changed things for many people. Including me. It is a sad thing to see so much violence on tv news every night. Huge suffering for all here on earth. These terroists have come to divide, disturb, and ruin....peace of mind, peace of heart, and love.

So personally I am not going to let them divide....and have their victory. Unity and love is my determination and focal point for choice.

Actually guest I will share a personal thing with you. I decided to take up the practice of Krsna consciousness a few weeks after 9/11. It was not my main decision maker....I have suffered poor medical health for years which was the main decision maker. But yes..this world climate also made up my mind. Krsna cosnciousness is a universal, peaceful, loving spirituality...so I also left my Judaeo-christian roots...and began the transcendental journey.

You are still......as to not understand when I we mention Jesus Christ we are not refering to Christianity. quote by Theist.

I back up this point by Theist. I accept Lord Jesus Christ as shaktyavesa avatara (empowered jiva)....and love him as a devotee of God. Christianity...history...all this are but material designations to me. But I have not come to this planet to divide. So I will not criticize any christian. But if they do not have transcendental realization of devotional service...ofcourse I will try to share such things. Transcendental devotional service is true unity...eternal and perfect. Free of material designation and bodily consciousness...the root of suffering.

Anyway guest....thanks for sharing so much....I honor your understandings and sincere heart. I am glad you liked the song. Hari bol!

Guest guest

Srila Narayana Maharaja has said that Jesus was a great Vaishnava. I can understand why many will doubt SNM and Srila Prabhupada on this, but we should take into consideration that the Bible has been heavily edited and revised over the centuries, as well as mistranslated. I personally believe that Jesus was a vegetarian, being that he was a member of the Essenes, a vegetarian sect. Also, nearly all of the original Christian fathers in the first 2 or 3 centuries were vegetarian. That this fact is no longer known, or preached, proves that the Bible has been edited. I agree with Mahak and others about Paul. One of his (not so glorious) revisions to Christianity was that "works" are not important, that faith is all you need. I will dare say that Lord Jesus was not on the same level as a great Vaishnava such as Vasudeva Datta, as indicated by Srila Prabhupada in the Caitanya Caritamrita. What people need to understand is that what passes for Christianity nowadays are NOT the original teachings of Lord Jesus. Just my humble opinion.

It has been interesting to read that some posters perceive that the person Jesus may be just an historical myth. From the other side of the coin many christians would perceive Krsna as an historical myth.

Really I find no conflict even if Jesus or Krsna were myths. I just like them both, alot.

I was reading one of Srila Prabhupada's small books a few months ago and there was a small sentence which said...'the pure devotee is not concerned whether Krsna is God or not. The pure devotee just likes Krsna.'

Ofcourse I am not a pure devotee. But this sentence of Srila Prabhupada brought me great solace. To come off the argumentative platform in the mind which is not conducive to faith. And realize...'I like Krsna (and Jesus).' Whether they were myths or just persons...it is irrelevant to me. I just like them.

Worst comes to worst...if it is all a myth...a happy life will have been achieved. And if my faith is correct...attachment to God (Krsna) will have begun.

Jesus a myth...Krsna a myth...where I am at this moment...it does not matter.

Guest guest

Thanks for everyone's input. This was fun. I am going to look for another article to post and put it up asap in hopes of some meaningful Krishna Katha among the devotees.

"One should not neglect to discuss such conclusions, thinking them to be controversial, since such discussions strengthen the mind. In this way one’s mind becomes attached to Krsna." (Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi 2.117)

“The effective silencing of the whole race of pseudo-teachers of religion is the first clear indication of the appearance of the Absolute on the mundane plane. The bona-fide teacher of the Absolute, heralds the Advent of Krsna by his uncompromising campaign against the pseudo-teachers of religion.” Sripad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur [Excerpted from the essay ‘Putana’ printed in the January 1932 edition of The Harmonist, or Sri Sajjana-tosani.]

Good day.

Respects to all.

Tattva