IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vijay

Swaminaryana quote

Rate this topic

43 Dharmadeva tada murtau, narnarayanatmana Pravrte-pi kalau Brahman! Bhutvaham samago dvijaha

44 Munishapannrutam praptam, sarshim janakaatmanaha Tato-vita gurubhyoham saddharmam sthapayannaja

Swaminarayan translation: (one version)

43 From Dharma-deva, then, from the devotee, I, Narayan-muni, shall take birth on this earth, in the land of Kosala, indeed, as a brahma, a singer of the Sama Veda.

44 O Brahma, when cursed by a muni, some rsis take birth as human beings, I will protect them from the demons and I will establish the principles of religion.

Someone pointed out that the actual nar-naryana rishi's farthers name was also Dharma and his mothers name was Murti.

Bhagavatam. 1.3.9

TRANSLATION

In the fourth incarnation, the Lord became Nara and Näräyaëa, the twin sons of the wife of King Dharma. Thus He undertook severe and exemplary penances to control the senses.

Bhagvatam 2.7.6

dharmasya—of Dharma (the controller of religious principles); dakña—Dakña, one of the Prajäpatis; duhitari—unto the daughter; ajaniñöa—took birth; mürtyäm—of the name Mürti; näräyaëaù—Näräyaëa; naraù—Nara; iti—thus; sva-tapaù—personal penances; prabhävaù—strength; dåñövä—by seeing; ätmanaù—of His own; bhagavataù—of the Personality of Godhead; niyama-avalopam—breaking the vow; devyaù—celestial beauties; tu—but; anaìga-påtanäù—companion of Cupid; ghaöitum—to happen; na—never; çekuù—made possible.

TRANSLATION

To exhibit His personal way of austerity and penance, He appeared in twin forms as Näräyaëa and Nara in the womb of Mürti, the wife of Dharma and the daughter of Dakña. Celestial beauties, the companions of Cupid, went to try to break His vows, but they were unsuccessful, for they saw that many beauties like them were emanating from Him, the Personality of Godhead.

SB 7.11.7

Lord Näräyaëa, along with His partial manifestation Nara, appeared in this world through the daughter of Dakña Mahäräja known as Mürti. He was begotten by Dharma Mahäräja for the benefit of all living entities. Even now, He is still engaged in executing great austerities near the place known as Badarikäçrama.

Its safe to assume that this verse in skanda purana is also talking about Nar-naryana rishi as this is consistent with hundreds of verses talking about them. If this is assumed to be talking about sahjananda swami then there needs to be strong reason to assume him in this verse when it seems to fit nar-naryana rishi naturally.

Guest guest

43 Dharmadeva tada murtau, narnarayanatmana Pravrte-pi kalau Brahman! Bhutvaham samago dvijaha

44 O Brahma, when cursed by a muni, some rsis take birth as human beings, I will protect them from the demons and I will establish the principles of religion.

YEs you are right. But the Shlok actually states Kalau Brahman. WHich means in Kaliyug. As if you check teh previous Shloaks it actually states the yugas and the avtaars that take place in the yugas. Before teh above Shlok it states Buddha Bhagwan in Kalau then the Sloka (about Lord Swaminarayan) above and then Kalki.

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Ki JAy

Jay Gopinathji Maharaj