IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Is 1 Dec 2006 a day for ekadashi fast?

Rate this topic

In some web pages it is written that the next day for ekadashi fasting is 16 Dec and in some it is written that 1 Dec is also the day for ekadashi fasting. Please reply fast if 1 Dec is the day for ekadashi fasting or not.

Guest guest

On my BBT calender Dec 1st is listed as Moksada Ekadasi and Dec 15th listed as Saphala Ekadasi (with variant date of Dec 16 for New York City and Toronto). Maybe it is just for north america tho.

Guest guest

My Narayana Maharaja friends are saying that today is Ekadasi here on the W. Coast of N. America. The Sri Caitanya Saraswat Math Math calendar says its on Fri. Dec. 1. in San Jose California. The Krishna.com calendar also says that it is on Dec. 1 in L.A. If you look at the Narayana Maharaja group's calendar on purebhakti.com, the Nov. page looks at little strange. Here's the part I'm wondering about:

30 Nov 2006

Thursday

Dasami

Advent of Srimad Bhagavad-gita

Chicago, Houston, Mexico City, Miami, Montreal, Panama, San Jose, San Salvador, Toronto, Washington

Ekadasi

Denver, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco

Suddha Ekadasi

Fasting for Moksada Ekadasi

Hilo, Seattle, Vancouver

It looks like the Suddha Ekadasi entry should be for another date, like Dec. 1.

If this is accurate then why would it be Ekadasi in the S.W. of N. America and "Suddha Ekadasi" in the N.W. of N. America? This is curious because San Francisco and Seattle are more or less on the same longitude. What's going on here? Does anybody know?

Guest guest

Sripad B.V. Vana Maharaja, who is with Srila Narayana Maharaja confirms that the purebhakti.com November calendar is in error and that Friday November 1st is Ekadasi on the West Coast of the United States and Canada.

Yes, heard about Vaikuntha ekadashi a lot. But didn't want to break my rule of observing complete fasting on all ekadashis. Of course, started this rule quite recently (for the last few ekadashis). But want to continue this. From the posts on this thread I find that 1 Dec is ekadashi. Just now I checked the calendar in http://vcal.iskcongbc.org/. There also 1 Dec is mentioned as ekadashi. So, doubt clarified now.

You have mentioned Vaikuntha ekadashi. This reminds me of a story in Brahm Vaivarta Purana (not having that Purana with me now as one of my colleague's wife has borrowed it from me). In that Purana, Bhima says to Krsna that he can fast on only one ekadashi. Lord Krsna mentions one ekadashi. I wonder if it is vaikuntha ekadashi.

Guest guest

i seem to remember hearing that there is one ekadasi that if you observe it makes up for all the other ekadasis you missed observing for that year

i seem to remember hearing that there is one ekadasi that if you observe it makes up for all the other ekadasis you missed observing for that year

I started observing ekadashi fasting only from 17 Oct. So, I missed many. I think 30 Dec is the ekadashi you are talking about because that is the last ekadashi of this year.

Guest guest

No, the Ekadasi that he is referring to is the Pandava Nirjala Ekadasi. We'already past it.

I started observing ekadashi fasting only from 17 Oct. So, I missed many. I think 30 Dec is the ekadashi you are talking about because that is the last ekadashi of this year.

This nirjala ekadashi can be misused. We are asked to obstain from everything on it, not a drop of water, but I've known devotees who think it is okay to miss other ekadashis because they'll just do nirjala, then when it comes around they even forget that.

Better to observe all that you can, then nirjala is an extra special bonus.

I've found that when you observe regularly your body clock sends messages of rememberance when they are coming round. And vice versa forgetfulness also when we fall out of rythem with Krsnas system.

In this busy stressed out world it is easy to forget.