IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vrindavan

Do you believe usable b12 is lacking in plant food ?

Rate this topic

Yes I believe it is lacking. And this should be a real concern for vegans like myself. We must supplement. I do so I don't worry. I take a sublinqual 5,000mcg tablet of b-12 in the form of methylcobalamin most everyday. This is far far and away more than is required but the methyl form has been shown to be protective of the myline sheath which covers and protects our nerves.

And it is really cheap so why not indulge?

>> sublinqual 5,000mcg tablet of b-12 in the form of methylcobalamin most everyday

what is this source from ?

b-12 has long been synthesized. It is not taken from an animal source. It is also important to take it under the tongue or through injection as the human gut is not good at assimilating it.

<big>Vegans and the Vitamin B<small><small>12</small></small> Deficiency Myth</big>

<small> [Posted 23 October 2003] It seems there's always at least one tired old myth making the rounds about vegetarianism. Twenty years ago when I switched, it was the "protein deficiency" myth. Now that the protein myth has been completely discredited (human breast milk is only 5% protein, and it is estimated that adult humans only need 2-3% protein in their daily diet), these days the vitamin B<small>12</small> myth occasionally surfaces. Usually it's only preached in places like very old doctors' offices or talk radio shows dominated by heavy recommendations for drugs and dairy products, but the question still comes up. Of the thousands of people who visit this web site every month, a few always find me with the search string "vegans B<small>12</small> deficiency". (The sickle cell anemia page mentions B<small>12</small> in its title.)

</small><big>Deficiencies at Large</big>

<small> A small number of people develop B<small>12</small> deficiencies, most of them not vegans, just like people with deficiencies in every other type of vitamin and mineral. Ever heard a dieter say that his or her hair fell out while dieting? That's borderline scurvy, a Vitamin C deficiency. Any friends or relatives have white hair, wrinkles, maybe an aneurysm? That's copper deficiency. Know anyone with cystic fibrosis (CF)? His or her mother suffered a selenium deficiency before and/or during their pregnancy. Vitamin deficiencies are as common as bad health in general; in fact, they cause a good chunk of the bad health these days.

</small><big>B<small><small>12</small></small> Deficiency: A Lengthy Process</big>

<small> B<small>12</small> (also called cobalamin due to its central cobalt atom) is a water-soluble vitamin with a very low recommended daily intake requirement, about 2-3 micrograms per day. That's MICROgrams, not milligrams. In addition to having extremely low intake requirements, Vitamin B<small>12</small> is stored in the liver, kidneys, and muscle tissue, and most B<small>12</small> (65-75%) is reabsorbed by the body instead of excreted. A deficiency could take from 5 to 20 years of inadequate intake to develop. The deficiency could be masked by adequate folic acid intake, as the two vitamins work together, but only temporarily. Eventually a B<small>12</small> deficiency manifests as nerve damage and pernicious anemia, a very serious type of anemia where red blood cells are improperly formed and white blood cell count is low.

</small><big>Bacteria: Myth vs. Reality</big>

<small> So how could anyone develop pernicious anemia when B<small>12</small> intake requirements are so low, and when the liver stores so much that it takes years for a deficiency to develop? The reason touted for the B<small>12</small> myth is that B<small>12</small> is found primarily in animal foods. Very few plant foods provide good sources of B<small>12</small>, they say. In a way that's true, but only because the source of B<small>12</small> is not plants OR animals; neither manufacture their own B<small>12</small>. In the B<small>12</small> reality, Bacteria are the B<small>12</small> producers on which both plants and animals rely. And in humans, that bacteria doesn't necessarily come from plants -- the mouth, upper intestine, and lower intestine all contain bacteria that produce B<small>12</small>. However, it's unknown if enough B<small>12</small> to meet the daily requirement comes from internal sources of B<small>12</small>. More likely, they produce some, and the rest comes in with food and water consumed.

</small><big>All of the Vitamin B<small><small>12</small></small> in the world ultimately comes from bacteria. Neither plants nor animals can synthesize it. But plants can be contaminated with B<small><small>12</small></small> when they come in contact with soil bacteria that produce it. Animal foods are rich in B<small><small>12</small></small> only because animals eat foods that are contaminated with it or because bacteria living in an animal's intestines make it.</big>

<small> -- From The Vegetarian Way: Total Health for You and Your Family (1996), Virginia Messina, MPH, RD, & Mark Messina, PhD p. 102

</small><big>The Causes</big>

<small> Most people with B<small>12</small> deficiencies and/or pernicious anemia are NOT vegans. Very few vegans have pernicious anemia. B<small>12</small> deficiencies occur primarily when:

1.) Something is competing for your B<small>12</small> (like parasites);

2.) Something is destroying your B<small>12</small> (like cyanide in cigarettes); or

3.) Something is preventing the proper absorption of B<small>12</small> (like inadequate production of intrinsic factor).

It's possible that vegans may be more susceptible to these three factors, as vegans don't consume huge quantities of B<small>12</small> to counteract such problems (unless they use vitamin supplements). I assume it's also possible that any depletion of intestinal bacteria, for example from lengthy courses of antibiotics, might lead to a drop in B<small>12</small> production, although I haven't yet found any other author mentioning this as a contributing factor. However, even with these factors present in vegans as well as the population at large, very few vegans develop B<small>12</small> deficiencies. Most recent books I've found refer to parasites and intrinsic factor (IF) production problems as the common culprits.

</small><big>1. Competition (Parasites)</big>

<small> Hulda Clark, the famous research scientist who uses radio resonance in vivo to determine microorganisms involved in cancer, AIDS, and other diseases, finds the parasite Ascaris (a worm-like parasite) is usually involved in cases of pernicious anemia:

Each red blood cell is shaped like a doughnut without the hole. This fits a lot more oxygen, O<small>2</small>, than round balls would. Yet, if there isn't enough vitamin B<small>12</small>, the dimple isn't put into them to make them doughnut shaped. This reduces the body's oxygen supply and the disorder is called "pernicious" anemia. The changed shape of the red blood cells is reflected in a bigger volume called mean cell volume (MCV). The correct volume for red blood cells is about 90 cubic microns. Many elderly persons have a MCV over 100!

I have seen pernicious anemia to be associated with Ascaris infestation. Kill Ascaris on a frequency generator (408 KHz) or zap. The source of Ascaris is usually a pet, owned in the past. Once infected, the tiny worms do not leave your body on their own. The infestation may date back to childhood. What a relief for the bone marrow whose job it is to make red blood cells to have enough vitamin B<small>12</small> again! What does Ascaris do with your B<small>12</small>? B<small>12</small> is a beautiful rose colored vitamin. Some worms are actually pink from absorbing your B<small>12</small>! Giving B<small>12</small> shots is the current clinical treatment for B<small>12</small> deficiency. Killing Ascaris twice a week by zapping and taking B<small>12</small> lozenges is a better solution.

-- From The Cure for All Diseases (1995), Hulda Clark, PhD, ND, p. 285

One thing to note about Hulda Clark is that she is NOT an advocate for vegetarianism (although she does concede that meat carries far more parasites and bacteria than vegetable matter). If Clark thought veganism was involved in pernicious anemia, or that people need to eat meat products to avoid it, she would have said so.

</small><big>2. Destruction</big>

<small> Another cause of B<small>12</small> deficiency could be destruction of the Vitamin due to dietary or environmental factors. For example, smoking, high protein diets, alcohol consumption, chlorinated water (disruption by chloroform), and diarrhea may deplete B<small>12</small>.

</small><big>3. Absorption Problems</big>

<small> Other than parasites, the most common cause of B<small>12</small> deficiency is absorption problems. In order to properly absorb B<small>12</small>, the stomach produces a special "intrinsic factor" that, with adequate calcium, promotes the absorption of B<small>12</small> in the small intestine. Intrinsic factor production problems are often related to stomach problems in the elderly.

</small><big>The Cautious Path</big>

<small> So what's a vegan to do for B<small>12</small>? Less rinsing of fruits and vegetables is a bad idea. Bacterial food poisoning is much less common with vegetables than meat, but it can still occur with vegetables. The body might produce enough B<small>12</small> from its own bacteria and naturally-occuring bacteria on food (rinsing doesn't remove all of it), but I like to play it safe. Personally, I believe in vitamin supplementation for a number of reasons. In their book Rare Earths, Forbidden Cures, Joel Wallach, DVM, ND and Ma Lan, MD, MS cover the uneven distribution of minerals in the earth's crust. Wallach and Lan believe that mineral supplementation is absolutely necessary, as even pristine farmland usually doesn't contain all the needed minerals.

I take an occasional multi-vitamin -- a GOOD multi-vitamin that's bought at a health food store or mail-ordered, with plenty of colloidal or chelated minerals. Although I'm not the best at taking pills (sometimes I don't take my vitamins more than a few times a month), I eat a lot of organic fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, etc. Not all vegans make the effort to eat healthy. Vegans who eat a lot of processed, nutrient-poor foods and take no vitamins put themselves at risk for a number of deficiency diseases.

</small><big>Personal Experience</big>

<small> One of these days, I want to start a "Pam the Lab Rat" series, where I describe alternative medicine I've tried on myself and how it worked for me, like the Hulda Clark-style Zapper (an excellent device). In the meantime, I'll cover how my limited vitamins and good diet work out for me in relation to any B<small>12</small> deficiency:

I didn't go completely vegan until early 1997. Until that time, for years all I'd eat in the way of animal products was "a little cream in my coffee". It's now 2003, 6 years later, and my only health problems are leftovers from physical accidents -- a trip-and-fall, and two auto accidents (1998 and 2002). In 1999, a physician treating me for the 1998 auto accident couldn't believe that some of my neurological symptoms weren't caused by a B<small>12</small> deficiency. Somehow she believed that all vegans had B<small>12</small> deficiencies. So she ordered a full, very expensive liver panel on me. The readings all came back perfect, of course. Then several months later, a chiropractor fixed up 100% of my symptoms in question with chiropractic adjustments, and with only a few visits! That's the problem with traditional doctors -- they know almost nothing about nutrition. (A vegan's been in an auto accident, therefore her injuries must be from vegetarianism? What kind of logic is that?) From what's been written about medical education, sometimes MDs might be offered an *optional* class on nutrition in medical school, but they often don't attend, because that's a lowly nutritionist's job...

</small><big>B<small><small>12</small></small> Facts</big>

<small> Here are a few functions of Vitamin B<small>12</small>: proper formation of red blood cells, manufacture of DNA, formation of fatty insulation surrounding nerve cells, detoxification of cyanide from cigarettes and food, cancer prevention, nervous system health, proper growth, prevention of PMS, posture and balance, memory and concentration, proper cell division, sperm production and motility.

Some B<small>12</small> deficiency symptoms: pernicious anemia, diarrhea, fatigue, nerve damage, depression, PMS, heart disease, trembling, low sperm count or poor sperm motility, and a sore red tongue.

</small><big>What If?</big>

<small> The above functions and symptoms of B<small>12</small> are only partial lists. If you suspect you may have a B<small>12</small> deficiency, it's best to consult both reference materials and your doctor, as doctors are often poor sources on nutritional deficiencies. A doctor, however, can determine whether your symptoms are actually a B<small>12</small> deficiency or a different disorder.

</small><big>Special note 2006</big>

<small> <blink>VEGGIE POLITICAL NEWS:</blink> Famous VEGAN and former US Presidential candidate, Dennis Kucinich, is running for his Congressional seat in Ohio again. A picture of health and energy, Congressman Kucinich is a vegan famous for his inspiring speeches, bravery, and highly ethical values. Those wanting to support his campaign can visit Kucinich.us. Those sending contributions must be US citizens, although there's no requirement that the contributor live in Ohio.

Sources:

Hulda Regehr Clark, PhD, ND. The Cure for All Diseases. Chula Vista, California: New Century Press, 1995.

H. Winter Griffith, MD. Vitamins, Herbs, Minerals, & Supplements. USA: Fisher Books, 1998.

Virginia Messina, MPH, RD, & Mark Messina, PhD. The Vegetarian Way New York: Three Rivers Press, 1996.

Denise Mortimore. The Complete Illustrated Guide to Vitamins and Minerals. London: Element [imprint of Harper Collins Publishers], 2001.

Rachel's Environmental & Health Weekly. Dangers Of Chlorinated Water; RACHEL'S ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH NEWS. Annapolis, MD: Environmental Research Foundation. Published on Gary Null's web site at http://www.garynull.com/Documents/erf/dangers_of_chlorinated_water.htm

Nicola Reavley. The New Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals, Supplements, & Herbs. New York: M. Evans and Company, Inc. (Bookman Press), 1998.

Joel D. Wallach, DVM, ND, and Ma Lan, MD, MS. Rare Earths, Forbidden Cures. Bonita, California: Double Happiness Publishing Co., 1994.

</small><big>Other health and nutrition articles from pamrotella.com</big>

<small> Today's medical fad: The Genetic Myth

Essential Fatty Acids, the "healthy fats" we all need

Copper: What aneurysms, white hair, and wrinkles have in common

Dr. Lawrence Broxmeyer's BACTERIAL Mad Cow Disease theory

Mad Cow and Mark Purdey's Organophosphate theory

Multiple Sclerosis: The mercury/parasites model

Alternative medicine vs. the common cold and flu

Hulda Clark: A cure for cancer and AIDS?

Aspartame, MSG, and other excitotoxins

Sickle Cell Anemia: Dr. Agbai and B-12 deficiency

Jake Beason on children and boredom

Back to the top

<small>© 2003 by Pam Rotella.

</small></small> <big><big>Back to Pam's vegan vegetarian FUN page</big></big>

Pam's vegan vegetarian cookbook, with vegan vegetarian recipes

From Life Extension Foundation Magazine

<table valign="top" zwidth="500" border="0"><tbody><tr><td>LEF Magazine August 1998 report.jpg

NEUROLOGICAL DISEASE

A Potential Breakthrough

aug98neuro.jpg Japanese scientists have identified a form of vitamin B12 that protects against neurological disease and aging by a unique mechanism that differs from current therapies. Some of the disorders that may be preventable or treatable with this natural vitamin therapy, called methylcobalamin, include Parkinson's disease, peripheral neuropathies, Alzheimer's disease, muscular dystrophy and, neurological aging. Americans have immediate access to this form of vitamin B12, and unlike prescription drugs, it costs very little and is free of side effects.

Vitamin B12 is a general label for a group of essential biological compounds known as cobalamins. The cobalamins are structurally related to hemoglobin in the blood, and a deficiency of vitamin B12 can cause anemia. The primary concern of conventional doctors is to maintain adequate cobalamin status to protect against anemia. The most common form of vitamin B12 is called cyanocobalamin.

However, over the last 10 years, a number of central and peripheral neurological diseases have been related to a deficiency of a very specific cobalamin, the methylcobalamin form, that is required to protect against neurological diseases and aging. The liver converts a small amount of cyanocobalamin into methylcobalamin within the body, but larger amounts of methylcobalamin are necessary to correct neurological defects and protect against aging.

Published studies show that high doses of methylcobalamin are needed to regenerate neurons, as well as the myelin sheath that protects axons and peripheral nerves.

Just how effective is methylcobalamin in treating acute disease? Lets take a look at some neurological diseases and other disorders where methylcobalamin has shown therapeutic results.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#ffcc33"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Bell's Palsy</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Bell's palsy is non-lethal paralysis of the facial nerve. Any or all branches of the nerve may be affected, and, in fact, Bell's palsy victims may not be able to open an eye or close one side of the mouth. To assess the benefits of methylcobalamin, 60 patients with Bell's palsy were divided into three groups. One group was given standard steroid drug therapy, the second group was given methylcobalamin plus steroid therapy, and the third group was given methylcobalamin by itself. The comparison among the three groups was based upon the number of days needed to attain complete recovery of nerve function, facial nerve scores, and improvement in symptoms.

The results: It took an average of 7.79 weeks for the group given the steroid drug to recover completely. In contrast, the group given the steroid drug and methylcobalamin took just 1.23 weeks to recover, and the group receiving the methylcobalamin by itself enjoyed complete recovery after just 5.1 days. The facial nerve score was significantly more severe in the steroid group compared with the methylcobalamin groups, and improvement in symptoms was better in the methylcobalamin groups compared with the group treated with the steroid drug.

The results of this study, published in Methods and Findings of Experimental Clinical Pharmacology (17[8]:539-44 1996 Oct), showed that methylcobalamin was 10 times more effective than the steroid drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

For those debilitated by Bell's palsy, a dose of 40 to 60 mg a day of methylcobalamin could be a safe and effective therapy.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#33ff99"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Brain Aging</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Unlike Bell's palsy, it is difficult to demonstrate methylcobalamin's rapid results when protecting against aging-related disorders. On the other hand, the mechanisms of action of methylcobalamin, however, are intriguing. One cause of brain cell death is glutamate toxicity. Brain cells use glutamate as a neurotransmitter, but unfortunately glutamate is a double-edged sword in that it can also kill aging brain cells. The release of glutamate from the synapses is a usual means by which neurons communicate with each other.

Effective communication means controlled release of glutamate at the right time to the right cells, but when glutamate is released in excessive amounts, intercellular communication ceases. The flood of glutamate onto the receiving neurons drives them into hyperactivity, and the excessive activity leads to cellular degradation. The Life Extension Foundation has never recommended glutamine supplements for healthy people because of concern about glutamine-induced brain cell damage.

The good news is that it may now be possible to protect brain cells against glutamate toxicity by taking methylcobalamin supplements. In a study in the European Journal of Pharmacology (1993 Sep.7;7;241 (1):1-6), it was shown that methylcobalamin protected against glutamate-, aspartate- and nitroprusside- induced neurotoxicity in rat cortical neurons.

This study also showed that S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) protected against neurotoxicity. In a study in Investigational Ophthalmology Visual Sciences (1997 Apr; 38(5):848-854), a combination of methylcobalamin and SAMe was used to protect against retinal brain-cell toxicity caused by glutamate and nitroprusside.

Researchers concluded that methylcobalamin protects against neurotoxicity by enhancing brain cell methylation. The Life Extension Foundation previously has recommended methylation-enhancing therapies such as vitamin B6, vitamin B12, folic acid and TMG (trimethylglycine) to protect against heart disease, stroke and other aging-related diseases.

The scientists who conducted the methylcobalamin studies emphasize that ongoing intake of methylcobalamin is necessary to protect against neurotoxicity. Thus, for methylcobalamin to be effective in protecting against neurological disease, daily supplementation may be required.

An appropriate dose to protect against neurological aging might be 1 to 5 mg a day taken under the tongue.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#cc9933"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Parkinson's Disease</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>At its current rate, Parkinson's disease strikes one in every 100 people over the age of 65. Almost every human suffers Parkinson's-like symptoms as they age. Methylcobalamin may help to prevent Parkinson's disease and slow the progression in those who already have it. Here's how: Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that controls motor functions. Dopamine transmits messages through different regions of the brain and along nerve pathways in order to coordinate muscle movement.

Proper dopamine metabolism also is required to maintain a state of psychological well-being. Aging humans suffer a progressive disruption of dopamine metabolism that can cause muscle weakness, loss of coordination, and depression. Parkinson's disease is caused by the premature destruction of specialized brain cells that produce dopamine.

When 80 percent of dopamine-producing brain cells have died, Parkinson's disease is usually diagnosed. It is therefore desirable to protect dopamine-producing brain cells and maintain youthful dopamine metabolism throughout life.

Dopamine is formed from the amino acid L-dopa. The more L-dopa that enters the brain, the more dopamine is produced, but the problem is that L-dopa itself is toxic to brain cells and is a direct cause of cell death.

The mechanism of L-dopa toxicity is excessive release of glutamate from neurons (Brain Research 1997 Oct 10; 771[1]: 159-162), which injures and kills brain cells. This could be why the drug Sinemet, which provides significant amounts of L-dopa to the brain, only works for several years before its effects wear off and the Parkinson's patient deteriorates rapidly.

The types of brain cells that are most vulnerable to glutamate-induced toxicity are the very cells involved in dopamine metabolism and neural-motor control. Methylcobalamin has been shown specifically to protect against glutamate- induced neural toxicity caused by L-dopa.

This means that supplementation with methylcobalamin could protect thos patients with Parkinson's disease from glutamate-induced toxicity caused by the high amount of L-dopa they are putting into their brains by taking Sinemet. If brain cells that control motor function were protected against L-dopa-induced glutamate toxicity, it could mean that Parkinson's patients who take methylcobalamin could continue benefitting from the dopamine-enhancing effects of Sinemet for a much longer period of time.

Late-stage Parkinson's patients for whom Sinemet therapy no longer works may have already suffered too much glutamate-induced brain cell damage to benefit from methylcobalamin. The Parkinson's patients who are still benefitting from Sinemet may be able to protect their striatal neurons by taking 5 to 20 mg a day of methylcobalamin sublingually (under the tongue), along with Sinemet.

(Additional therapies are outlined in the Foundation's Parkinson's Disease Protocol. Call the Foundation at 1-800-544-4440 for a free copy, or refer to the Foundation's book, Disease Prevention and Treatment Protocols.

The combination of methylcobalamin and Sinemet therapy could be a medical breakthrough, but this can only be proven by controlled studies. Today's Parkinson's patients cannot wait for the completion of clinical studies and may want to start sublingual intake of 5 to 20 mg a day of methylcobalamin immediately.

For Parkinson's disease prevention, 1 to 5 mg a day of sublingually administered methylcobalamin may be sufficient.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#99ccff"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Alzheimer's Disease</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>A study in Clinical Therapeutics (1992 May;14(3):426-437) showed that the intravenous administration of large doses of methylcobalamin to Alzheimer's patients improved the patients' intellectual functions such as memory, emotions and communication with other people. The scientists concluded that methylcobalamin is a safe and effective treatment for psychiatric disorders in patients with Alzheimer-type dementia. This is the only clinical study the Foundation could find on using methylcobalamin to treat Alzheimer's disease. It could be that 40 to 80 mg a day of sublingually administered methylcobalamin would be an effective adjuvant (assisting) Alzheimer's therapy. To obtain a referral to sources of intravenous methylcobalamin drugs, Foundation members should call our technical support line at 1-800-226-2370.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#ff99cc"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Multiple Sclerosis</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>A study in the journal Internal Medicine (1994 Feb. 33(2):82-86) investigated the daily administration of 60 mg of methylcobalamin to patients with chronic progressive multiple sclerosis (MS), a disease that has a poor prognosis and features widespread demyelination in the central nervous system. Although motor disability did not improve, there were clinical improvements in visual and auditory MS-related disabilities. The scientists stated that methylcobalamin might be an effective adjunct to immunosuppressive treatment for chronic progressive MS. Those with less serious forms of MS may consider adding methylcobalamin to their daily treatment regimen.

The effects of methylcobalamin were studied on an animal model of muscular dystrophy. This study, published in Neuroscience Letters (1994 Mar 28; 170[1] 195-197), looked at the degeneration of axon motor terminals.

In mice receiving methylcobalamin, nerve sprouts were more frequently observed and regeneration of motor nerve terminals occurred in sites that had previously been degenerating.

MS patients can obtain a copy of the Life Extension Foundation's Multiple Sclerosis Protocol on-line. (Also, refer to Disease Prevention and Treatment Protocols).

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#ffcc99"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Regenerating Nerves</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Few substances have been shown to regenerate nerves in humans with peripheral neuropathies. However, a study in the Journal of Neurological Science (1994 Apr. 122[2]:140-143) postulated that methylcobalamin could increase protein synthesis and help regenerate nerves. The scientists showed that very high doses of methylcobalamin produce nerve regeneration in laboratory rats. The scientists stated that ultra-high doses of methylcobalamin might be of clinical use for patients with peripheral neuropathies. The human equivalent dose the scientists used is about 40 mg of sublingually administered methylcobalamin.

In humans, subacute degeneration of the brain and spinal cord can occur through the demyelination of nerve sheaths caused by a folic acid or vitamin B12 deficiency. In a study in the Journal of Inherited Metabolic Diseases (1993;16[4]:762-770), it was shown that some people have genetic defects that preclude them from naturally producing methylcobalamin.

The scientists stated that a deficiency of methylcobalamin causes demyelination disease in people with this in-born defect.

An early study published in the Russian journal Farmakol Toksikol (1983 Nov; 46[6]: 9-12) Nov 1983) showed that the daily administration of methylcobalamin in rats markedly activated the regeneration of mechanically damaged axons of motor neurons. An even more-pronounced effect was observed in laboratory rats whose sciatic nerves were crushed mechanically.

Two studies published in the Japanese journal Nippon Yakurigaku Zasshi (1976, Mar, 72,[2]: 269-278) showed that the administration of methylcobalamin caused significant increases in the in vivo incorporation of the amino acid leucine into crushed sciatic nerves, resulting in a stimulating effect on protein synthesis repair and neural regeneration.

Those suffering from peripheral neuropathies often take alpha lipoic acid. Based on our new understandings of peripheral neuropathy, we suggest that anyone using alpha lipoic acid also take at least 5 mg a day of sublingually administered methylcobalamin to ensure that alpha lipoic acid will be bioavailable to the peripheral nerves.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#cccc00"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Cancer & Immune Function</td></tr></tbody></table> <table zwidth="525" align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>A study in the journal Oncology (1987; 44[3]:169-173) examined the effects of methylcobalamin on several different kinds of tumors in mice. The administration of methylcobalamin for seven days suppressed liver, lung and ascites tumor growth. Mice receiving methylcobalamin survived longer than control mice. In mice irradiated before tumor cell inoculation, methylcobalamin did not improve survival. The effects of methylcobalamin on human immune function was investigated in the Journal of Clinical Immunology (1982 Apr 2; [2]:101-109). The study showed that methylcobalamin showed remarkable T cell-enhancing effects when the T cells were exposed to certain antigens.

The scientists also showed that methylcobalamin improved the activity of T helper cells. The scientists concluded that methylcobalamin could modulate lymphocyte function by augmenting regulatory T cell activities.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#00ff00"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Sleep</td></tr></tbody></table> A study in the journal Experientia (1992 Aug;48[8]:716-720) indicates that those taking methylcobalamin also might want to take melatonin. In the study, it was detailed how nine healthy humans were given 3 mg of methylcobalamin a day for four weeks. Among the results, it was found that melatonin levels were significantly lower in the group receiving methylcobalamin compared with placebo, although methylcobalamin did not adversely effect sleep patterns. On the contrary, previous reports of experiments show that vitamin B12 improves sleep patterns.

The Life Extension Foundation suggests that those taking methylcobalamin take at least 500 micrograms (½ mg) of melatonin at bedtime. In addition to its sleep-enhancing capabilities, melatonin has shown potent anti-cancer and immune-enhancing benefits.

A more recent German study appearing in Neuropharmacology (15[5]:456-464, 1996) showed that while methylcobalamin reduced the amount of time subjects slept, that sleep quality was better and subjects awoke feeling refreshed, and with better alertness and concentration. Part of this effect was apparently due to melatonin suppression during the daytime because methylcobalamin reduced drowsiness.

Most of the scientific studies cited in this article were conducted in Japan. Americans need to know about this important natural therapy that could extend the healthy human life span. A search of the scientific literature reveals 334 published studies on methylcobalamin. However, it would not be an exageration to say that virtually no American doctors know of it or are recommending it.

Methylcobalamin should be considered for the treatment of any neurological disease. For example, based on its unique mechanisms of action, methylcobalamin could be effective in slowing the progression of "untreatable" diseases such as ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).

Since methylcobalamin is not a drug, there is little economic incentive to conduct expensive clinical studies on it, so it may be a long time before we know just how effective this form of vitamin B12 is in slowing the progression of common disorders like Parkinson's disease.

The sublingual intake of methylcobalamin is an affordable and effective natural therapy, and it is safe even when given in large doses. For prevention purposes, just 1 mg of methylcobalamin taken under the tongue every day could produce enormous anti-aging benefits at a very low price.

Yes I believe it is lacking. And this should be a real concern for vegans like myself. We must supplement. I do so I don't worry. I take a sublinqual 5,000mcg tablet of b-12 in the form of methylcobalamin most everyday. This is far far and away more than is required but the methyl form has been shown to be protective of the myline sheath which covers and protects our nerves.

And it is really cheap so why not indulge?

Can you tell me more about this tablet, because I am afraid it can be from animal source? Excuse me for my poor knowledge. Is it also available in pharmacies? How should I find it.

Thank you so much,

Hari Om tat sat

Methylcobalimin is vegan. Bacteria is the source for b-12 and not meat or plants. Bacteria can be used to create b-12 outside of an animal body. The details of production I am not clear on but it is sold and use advocated by vegan societies.

Any healthfood store will sell it. Or through the web just google vegan and methylcobalimin.

No reason not to take it. Many good reasons to take it daily.

Thanks Theist , for your reply. It will not be problem finding one here. Also I find helpful information on similar posts by you here on that. I also found one interesting video I would like to share:

Yeah that was good Om Hari. She is a great ambassador for a vegan lifestyle. Wish I had been brought up vegan but I was born in 1952. Everyone was conditioned to think without meat three times a day you would die

To go vegan makes a wonderful difference in the individual. The practice of ahimsa to the best of one's ability is a very important thing in developing God consciousness.