IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Bhagavad-gita and Anu-gita

Rate this topic

I have to admit that I never heard something about an Anu-gita.

Now there's a guest lecture in our Department of South and Central Asian Studies. The invitation reads as follows:

Dr. Herman Tieken lectures on Bhagavad-gita and Anu-gita

After the great battle Krishna expresses the desire to see His killed relatives again. Arjuna asks Krishna before leaving to repeat what He told him on the eve of the battle, since he has completely forgotten it. Krishna tells Arjuna that that is impossible. Instead He relates the teachings of a certain siddha. This passage has become known as Anu-gita.

However, on closer consideration the Anu-gita appears to pass over all those elements which make the Bhagavad-gita such a unique treatise. While the Bhagavad-gita plays a pivotal role in the first part of the Mahabharata, which culminates in the great battle, one may ask if the Anu-gita, as another sermon by Krishna, could not have played an equally pivotal role in the second part, which seems mainly concerned with the attempts of the survivors of the battle to get rid of the guilt of having killed their relatives.

4cvnz4o.jpg

Krishna wants to see His killed relatives after the battle?

Arjuna has completely forgotten what Krishna told him on the eve of the battle?

Any suggestions?

Dear Suchandraji,

There are excellent lectures on Yug - Geeta(Interpretation of Geeta in context with todays situation) are available on:

http://www.awgp.org/gamma/AudioDrSahabHindi

The speaker is Dr.Pranav Pandya

Revered Dr. Pranav Pandya (Doctor Sahab)

12.jpg

Bio-data

HEAD: All World Gayatri Pariwar

DIRECTOR: Brahmavarchas Research Institute

CHANCELLOR: Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya

EDITOR: Akhand Jyoti – Monthly magazine

PRESIDENT: Swami Vivekanand Yogvidya Mahapeeth

Education, Research and Job Credentials

• 1972 – M.B.B.S. from M. G. M. Medical College, Indore, India
  • 1975 – Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) from M.G.M. Medical College with Gold Medal
  • 1975 to 1976 – Worked with eminent scientists in the Departments of Neurology and Cardiology at M.G.M. Medical College. Published research papers on the treatment of psychosomatic diseases.
  • 1976 to 1978 – Served as a physician in Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited hospitals in Haridwar and Bhopal and remained in-charge of the Intensive Care Unit.
  • 1978 – Received lucrative job offers in the U.S.A. but preferred to stay in India and serve Indian Culture from 1979 as Director of Brahmavarchas Research Institute.
  • 2002 to present – Chancellor, Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya.

Service to Humanity

• Settled permanently in Shantikunj in 1978, the Headquarters of Yug Nirman Mission (Movement for the Reconstruction of the Era), to serve humanity.
  • In-charge of the personality development and moral education training program for the officers of the Central and State Government from 1984-1990. More than 35000 officers have participated in this program.
  • From 1990 to 2000, undertook extensive tours of India and foreign countries and organized large-scale programs to establish the spiritual aspects of Indian Culture on a scientific basis.
  • Established branches of the organization in several foreign countries including U.S.A., Canada, U.K., Denmark, Norway, Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, South Africa, Kenya, etc. Participated in conferences and gave seminars at Cambridge University, Oxford University, Harvard University, University of California at Los Angeles and several other Universities to disseminate the message of Indian Culture.
  • Addressed a joint session of House of Lords and House of Commons in U.K. in February 1992.
  • In 1994, directed Watershed Development Scheme, a scheme for harvesting rainwater. This scheme has been extended all over India.
  • Presented scientific aspects of Indian Culture to the World Parliament of Religions held in Chicago (U.S.A.) in 1993 and in Cape Town (Republic of South Africa) in 1999.

I found them very impressive.

Datta Pandya

Guest guest

Probably it doesnt has anything to do with bhakti-yoga otherwise Prabhupada would have translated it?

WITH ALL DUE RESPECTS ! PRAPHUPADA DID NOT TRANSLATE ALL THE VEDIC SRIPTURES THAT DEALS WITH BHAKI ! - - SO DO NOT JUST BRUSH IT AS "NOT WORTH IT" BECAUSE PRAPHUPADA DID NOT COMMENT ON IT !

Guest guest

This Anu gita is a little confusing to me .... nowhere near as lucid as the Bhagavad Gita, it even strikes me as being written by different writers and doesn't seem to have the same authority. No offence but it even appears to be a shadow compared to the subtantial Truth expounded in Bg Gita. Maybe the translation i read didn't help.

After all in truth there were so many Bg Gitas before Srila Prabhupads As it is and none of them made devotees sing and dance to the holy Names in the western section that is, only some philosophers were interested in it as a mystical alternative to the Christian conception of God, but they had no real access to the treasure of Prema bhakti contained in it's confidential vaults.

Then Srila Sridhara Maharaj revealed still more in his 'Hidden Treasure of the Sweet Absolute'.

This Anu gita is a little confusing to me .... nowhere near as lucid as the Bhagavad Gita, it even strikes me as being written by different writers and doesn't seem to have the same authority. No offence but it even appears to be a shadow compared to the subtantial Truth expounded in Bg Gita. Maybe the translation i read didn't help.

After all in truth there were so many Bg Gitas before Srila Prabhupads As it is and none of them made devotees sing and dance to the holy Names in the western section that is, only some philosophers were interested in it as a mystical alternative to the Christian conception of God, but they had no real access to the treasure of Prema bhakti contained in it's confidential vaults.

Then Srila Sridhara Maharaj revealed still more in his 'Hidden Treasure of the Sweet Absolute'.

Thanks guest, thats what I wanted to hear - there's no such thing as Anu-gita except some mayavadha speculations. Prabhupada never mentioned it - so it is just some concoction by some rascals. Wonder why this guruvani points to a mayavadha link, but anyway, mayavadha seems to be everywhere nowadays.

Thanks guest, thats what I wanted to hear - there's no such thing as Anu-gita except some mayavadha speculations. Prabhupada never mentioned it - so it is just some concoction by some rascals. Wonder why this guruvani points to a mayavadha link, but anyway, mayavadha seems to be everywhere nowadays.

Krishna Consciousness..."Non-Sectarian", eh Prabhu?

If Krishna is God, why couldn't He remember the Bhagavad Gita and tell Arjuna again?

Well. if Krishna had come to find that Arjuna couldn't grasp what he had told him already in Bhagavad-gita, then why should he repeat it again?

Maybe the Lord decided that another approach through telling a story would be more suitable for Arjuna than the Upanishadic type intructions of the Bhagavad-gita?

Certainly, Krishna could have repeated the Bhagavad-gita again if he wanted to, but he made an excuse and decided to try putting instructions into a story form.

As i understand the nature of Krsnas' Consciousness is dynamic

Everything he does is nitya lila.

Just as we may not like repeating things mechanicly, so He too would no doubt be the most spontaneously present in each moment of eternal time, ever fresh and ever new. That pastime delivering Bhagavad gita could obviously only be spoken, couched in the setting relevant to the Kuruksetra environment.

Krsna isn't a parrot, if He wanted too, He could speak the Gita backwards or sideways. He can sing it in a thousand dialects with a thousand variations if He chooses to, but the point is how much capacity does the receiver have to catch and digest what was being given? What to speak of the traumatic predicament Arjuna found himself in and then actually living thru it all in the next instant, violently losing relatives, friends, teachers. With mountains of mutilated flesh and rivers of blood all around. I think there would be an instant trigger in the mind to shut down all that just transpired afterwards

Just the thought would be enough to send anyone over the edge.

Maybe this is where trauma counciling originated.

I tend to like the 'Uddhava Gita' myself but it doesn't apply to this mad world of duality as much as 'Bhagavad gita', because it seems man continually repeats his folly of solving his differences thru violent means and seems more excited by controversy and the warriors ways, rather than peaceful coexistence.

Personally i'd love to hear another gita from the Lord applicable to the present time and circumstance. Not that the Bg Gita isn't. It'd be interesting how and where He'd deliver it.