IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Mantras

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What are some bonafide mantras that can be chanted, other than the Hare Krishna Maha-mantra? The Maha-mantra carries such dire consequensces if 4 regulative principles aren't followed perfectly.

I'm interested in simply learning how to meditate and focus my mind without having to worry about going to hell or at least not feel terribly guilty for not being able to follow principles perfectly.

Please don't advise me to chant Hare Krishna mantra and experience higher taste, then principles will become perfect...I've heard this before.

What are some bonafide mantras that can be chanted, other than the Hare Krishna Maha-mantra? The Maha-mantra carries such dire consequensces if 4 regulative principles aren't followed perfectly.

I'm interested in simply learning how to meditate and focus my mind without having to worry about going to hell or at least not feel terribly guilty for not being able to follow principles perfectly.

Please don't advise me to chant Hare Krishna mantra and experience higher taste, then principles will become perfect...I've heard this before.

This mantra from Sri Isopanisad you can chant without being worried and at the same time it greatly helps you to focus your mind without going to hell or feeling guilty.

om purnam adah purnam idam

purnat purnam udacyate

purnasya purnam adaya

purnam evavasisyate

Oops sorry pressed wrong button:

It seems like you already have a mantra. So why are you seeking do you want to free your mind or gain some knowladge, power, prestige???

If you are seeking some material benefits then yes you should not ask the Hare Krsnas because they will lead you on a path of material destruction.

Just look at me I have been cursed by this little Blue Boy who sent an Old Man to the West and made my material life a living Hell. :crying2:

So if you find that Mantra that can free me from this "Misery" please help!!!:crying2:

Hare Krsna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

I forgot to also ask What do you want the Mantra to do for you??

Is it...

1. To gain a beautifull wife/husband
  2. Gain richess beyond your wildest imagination
  3. Gain fame throughout the three worlds
  4. Become a powerfull warrior
I forgot the others But I am sure there is someone out there who can help me complete the list of One of the things most wanted from a Mantra before leaving this material abode.

On my travels through India I am sure for good couple of quids/bucks I can get you a Mantra. I will send you my account details. (As the saying goes for everything else there's mastercard)

But Alas I think for my own miserable condition I don't see any hope :crying2:

Hare Krsna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

That is not an unusual sentiment for an honest seeker trying to break free from some tough conditioning. I was a bit of a rogue over thirty years ago and also hesitated chanting the Mahamantra for fear of my acquired faults.

I took to chanting the Panca-tattva mantra in my mind in business meetings, and at other times even aloud. Srila Prabhupada notes how Gaura and Nitai do not take offense. He also recommends that for even advanced regulated devotees that they should begin chanting the Mahamantra by first chanting the Panca-tattva mantra to become elevated. So you will hear even Srila Prabhupada when leading kirtanas begin with Sri-Krsna-Caitanya Prabhu-Nityananda Sri-Advaita Gadadhara Srivasadi-Gaura-bhakta-vrinda.

When I was first instructed about chanting on beads, my gracious benefactor recommended saying the Panca-tattva mantra (or at least "Nitai-Gaura") after each round, just to keep me pure. I very often still to this day over thirty years later still hear a joyous "Nitai-Gaura" between rounds. Sometimes the chanting is too sweet and compelling to stop for a "Nitai-Gaura", but that's probably pleasing to Krsna too, seeing my heart torn between sweet "Krsna" and all-merciful "Gauranga".

This is good advice. Soon enough, as the unwanted things fall away, you too will have the confidence to let the Mahamantra descend to your ears. Soon that's all you will want. Then you will know life's greatest joy. That is my wish for you. And that too is the all-powerful wish of Sri Sri Nitai-Gaura.

Hare Krsna

Click on the Kingdom below and hear Srila Prabhupada sing:

<H2><center>Sri-Krsna-Caitanya Prabhu-Nityananda Sri-Advaita Gadadhara Srivasadi-Gaura-bhakta-vrinda</h2>

</center>

Nityananda-Gauranga

Haribol

From the ocean of mercy known as the Sri Caitanya-caritamrita (Adi-Lila 7.4):

<center>
paJca-tattva avatIrNa caitanyera saGge

paJca-tattva laJA karena saGkIrtana raGge

</center>

paJca-tattva--these five tattvas; avatIrNa--advented; caitanyera--with Caitanya MahAprabhu; saGge--in company with; paJca-tattva--the same five subjects; laJA--taking with Himself; karena--He does; saGkIrtana--the saGkIrtana movement; raGge--in great pleasure.

These five tattvas incarnate with Lord Caitanya MahAprabhu, and thus the Lord executes His saGkIrtana movement with great pleasure.

PURPORT

In SrImad-BhAgavatam (11.5.32) there is the following statement regarding SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu:

<center>

kRSNa-varNaM tviSAkRSNaM sAGgopAGgAstra-pArSadam

yajJaiH saGkIrtana-prAyair yajanti hi su-medhasaH

</center>

"In the Age of Kali, people who are endowed with sufficient intelligence will worship the Lord, who is accompanied by His associates, by performance of the saGkIrtana-yajJa." SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu is always accompanied by His plenary expansion SrI NityAnanda Prabhu, His incarnation SrI Advaita Prabhu, His internal potency SrI GadAdhara Prabhu and His marginal potency SrIvAsa Prabhu. He is in the midst of them as the Supreme Personality of Godhead. One should know that SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu is always accompanied by these other tattvas. Therefore our obeisances to SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu are complete when we say zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda. As preachers of the KRSNa consciousness movement,
we first offer our obeisances to SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu by chanting this PaJca-tattva mantra; then we say Hare KRSNa, Hare KRSNa, KRSNa KRSNa, Hare Hare/ Hare RAma, Hare RAma, RAma RAma, Hare Hare
. There are ten offenses in the chanting of the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra, but these are not considered in the chanting of the PaJca-tattva mantra, namely, zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda. SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu is known as mahA-vadAnyAvatAra, the most magnanimous incarnation, for He does not consider the offenses of the fallen souls. Thus to derive the full benefit of the chanting of the mahA-mantra (Hare KRSNa, Hare KRSNa, KRSNa KRSNa, Hare Hare/ Hare RAma, Hare RAma, RAma RAma, Hare Hare), we must first take shelter of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu, learn the PaJca-tattva mahA-mantra, and then chant the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra. That will be very effective.

Taking advantage of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu, many unscrupulous devotees manufacture a mahA-mantra of their own. Sometimes they sing bhaja nitAi gaura rAdhe zyAma hare kRSNa hare rAma or zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda hare kRSNa hare rAma zrI-rAdhe govinda. Actually, however,
one should chant the names of the full PaJca-tattva (zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda) and then the sixteen words Hare KRSNa, Hare KRSNa, KRSNa KRSNa, Hare Hare/ Hare RAma, Hare RAma, RAma RAma, Hare Hare
. But these unscrupulous, less intelligent men confuse the entire process. Of course, since they are also devotees they can express their feelings in that way, but the method prescribed by SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu's pure devotees is to first chant the full PaJca-tattva mantra and then chant the mahA-mantra--Hare KRSNa, Hare KRSNa, KRSNa KRSNa, Hare Hare/ Hare RAma, Hare RAma, RAma RAma, Hare Hare.

From Adi 7.168p

Strictly speaking, when chanting the names of the PaJca-tattva, one should fully offer his obeisances: zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda. By such chanting one is blessed with the competency to chant the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra without offense.

From the introduction to Adi 8:

In this chapter the glories of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu and NityAnanda are described, and it is also stated that one who commits offenses in chanting the Hare KRSNa mantra does not achieve love of Godhead, even after chanting for many years. In this connection, SrIla Bhaktivinoda ThAkura warns against artificial displays of the bodily symptoms called aSTa-sAttvika-vikAra. That is also an offense. One should seriously and sincerely continue to chant the PaJca-tattva names zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda. All these AcAryas will bestow their causeless mercy upon a devotee and gradually purify his heart. When he is actually purified, automatically he will experience ecstasy in chanting the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra.

Adi 8.4p:

KRSNadAsa KavirAja GosvAmI teaches us first to offer respect to the PaJca-tattva--SrI KRSNa Caitanya MahAprabhu, NityAnanda Prabhu, Advaita Prabhu, GadAdhara Prabhu and SrIvAsa Prabhu and other devotees. We must strictly follow the principle of offering our respects to the PaJca-tattva, as summarized in the mantra zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda. At the beginning of every function in preaching, especially before chanting the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra--Hare KRSNa, Hare KRSNa, KRSNa KRSNa, Hare Hare/ Hare RAma, Hare RAma, RAma RAma, Hare Hare--we must chant the PaJca-tattva's names and offer our respects to them.

From Adi 8.31p:

It should be noted in this connection that the holy names of Lord KRSNa and Gaurasundara are both identical with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Therefore one should not consider one name to be more potent than the other. Considering the position of the people of this age, however, the chanting of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu's name is more essential than the chanting of the Hare KRSNa mahA-mantra because SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu is the most magnanimous incarnation and His mercy is very easily achieved. Therefore one must first take shelter of SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu by chanting zrI-kRSNa-caitanya prabhu-nityAnanda zrI-advaita gadAdhara zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda. By serving Gaura-NityAnanda one is freed from the entanglements of material existence and thus becomes qualified to worship the RAdhA-KRSNa Deity.

From Srila Prabhupada's first tape recording (made by himself):

<center>
zrI-kRSNa-caitanya

prabhu-nityAnanda

zrI-advaita gadAdhara

zrIvAsAdi-gaura-bhakta-vRnda

</center>

I offer my obeisances to SrI KRSNa Caitanya, Prabhu NityAnanda, SrI Advaita, GadAdhara, SrIvAsa and all others in the line of devotion.

<center>

hare kRSNa hare kRSNa kRSNa kRSNa hare hare

hare rAma hare rAma rAma rAma hare hare

</center>

My dear Lord, and the spiritual energy of the Lord, kindly engage me in Your service. I am now embarrassed with this material service. Please engage me in Your service.

Dear friend Gayatri mantra is considered a maha mantra, a Guru mantra.

Exaltations of Gayatri Mantra by Dignified Personalities

Rabindranath Tagore: It is the Gayatri Mantra which has awakened <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> and which is so simple as can be chanted in one breath, There can be no scope for any logical discussion, difference of opinion or any dispute in the study of this holy Mantra.

Maharshi Vyas: Just as honey is the essence of flowers, Ghee is the essence of milk, so Gayatri is also the essence of Vedas. Gayatri is a Kamdhenu (celestial cow) to him who has accomplished it in full.

Mahatma Gandhi: Constant chanting of Gayatri Mantra is very useful in healing the diseased and elevating the soul. Gayatri Japa is practiced with a steady mind and pure heart is capable of removing obstacles and calamities during bad times.

Shri Madanmohan Malavia: Of all the valuables jewels bequeathed to us by our ancient sages, Gayatri Mantra holds an incomparable place. Gayatri purifies intellect and attracts divine light. It has saved several souls from worldly bondage, It removes materials wants.

Swami Vivekanand: Only that thing should be asked for from a king which befits his dignity. The only thing fit to pray from God is wisdom. God grants wisdom only to those with whom he is pleased. Wisdom makes a man go on the right path. Man gets all sorts of happiness by Sat karmas. Gayatri Mantra is a Mantra for wisdom and hence it is called the crown of all Mantra.

Yogiraj Yagnyavalkya: Gayatri is the mother of Vedas, it destroys sins and there is no other greater purifying mantra than Gayatri on this earth as well as in the heavens. Just as there is no better place of pilgrimage than <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place>, there is no mantra superior to Gayatri mantra. The one who masters Gayatri becomes master of all knowledge. A dwij who is not devoted to Gayatri is like a shoodra. He who does not know Gayatri gets deprived of Brahmantva and becomes sinful.

Attri muni: Gayatri completely purifies the soul. By the glorious power of Gayatri deep rooted defects and vices are cleansed out. Nothing else remains to be attained in this world by one who fully understands the substance of Gayatri.

Jagat Guru Shankaracharya: It is beyond human competence to describe the glory of Gayatri. Nothing is more important in the world than to attain spiritual wisdom, which is inspired by Gayatri Sadhana. Gayatri is the primordial mantra. Its sadhana destroys sins and promotes virtues.

Raman Maharshi: Of all the masteries, the mastery of mantra is extremely powerful. Marvelous results are achieved by the power of Mantras. Gayatri is such a mantra, which bestows both material as well as spiritual benefits.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 13.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 90pt; WIDTH: 225pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 54pt" stroked="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600" stroked="f" filled="f" o:preferrelative="t"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 208.5pt; HEIGHT: 41.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" filled="t"><v:imagedata o:title="verse-10-35-01" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: 58.75pt; Z-INDEX: 2; MARGIN-LEFT: -9pt; WIDTH: 486pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 45pt" stroked="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Of the sam-veda hymns I am the Brhat-sama, among the Mantras, I am Gayatri, among the months, I am the harvest month of fall and among the seasons, I am Spring

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Lord Krishna -Bagavad Geeta (Chapter-10, verse-35) -

Exaltations of Gayatri by Dignified Personalities

Rabindranath Tagore: It is the Gayatri Mantra which has awakened <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> and which is so simple as can be chanted in one breath, There can be no scope for any logical discussion, difference of opinion or any dispute in the study of this holy Mantra.

Maharshi Vyas: Just as honey is the essence of flowers, Ghee is the essence of milk, so Gayatri is also the essence of Vedas. Gayatri is a Kamdhenu (celestial cow) to him who has accomplished it in full.

Mahatma Gandhi: Constant chanting of Gayatri Mantra is very useful in healing the diseased and elevating the soul. Gayatri Japa is practiced with a steady mind and pure heart is capable of removing obstacles and calamities during bad times.

Shri Madanmohan Malavia: Of all the valuables jewels bequeathed to us by our ancient sages, Gayatri Mantra holds an incomparable place. Gayatri purifies intellect and attracts divine light. It has saved several souls from worldly bondage, It removes materials wants.

Swami Vivekanand: Only that thing should be asked for from a king which befits his dignity. The only thing fit to pray from God is wisdom. God grants wisdom only to those with whom he is pleased. Wisdom makes a man go on the right path. Man gets all sorts of happiness by Sat karmas. Gayatri Mantra is a Mantra for wisdom and hence it is called the crown of all Mantra.

Yogiraj Yagnyavalkya: Gayatri is the mother of Vedas, it destroys sins and there is no other greater purifying mantra than Gayatri on this earth as well as in the heavens. Just as there is no better place of pilgrimage than <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place>, there is no mantra superior to Gayatri mantra. The one who masters Gayatri becomes master of all knowledge. A dwij who is not devoted to Gayatri is like a shoodra. He who does not know Gayatri gets deprived of Brahmantva and becomes sinful.

Attri muni: Gayatri completely purifies the soul. By the glorious power of Gayatri deep rooted defects and vices are cleansed out. Nothing else remains to be attained in this world by one who fully understands the substance of Gayatri.

Jagat Guru Shankaracharya: It is beyond human competence to describe the glory of Gayatri. Nothing is more important in the world than to attain spiritual wisdom, which is inspired by Gayatri Sadhana. Gayatri is the primordial mantra. Its sadhana destroys sins and promotes virtues.

Raman Maharshi: Of all the masteries, the mastery of mantra is extremely powerful. Marvelous results are achieved by the power of Mantras. Gayatri is such a mantra, which bestows both material as well as spiritual benefits.

<v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 13.75pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 90pt; WIDTH: 225pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 54pt" stroked="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape><v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: 58.75pt; Z-INDEX: 2; MARGIN-LEFT: -9pt; WIDTH: 486pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 45pt" stroked="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape>Lord Krishna -Bagavad Geeta (Chapter-10, verse-35) -

Of the sam-veda hymns I am the Brhat-sama, among the Mantras, I am Gayatri, among the months, I am the harvest month of fall and among the seasons, I am Spring

Please feel free to ask any question.

Datta

Guest guest

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions!

I'm familiar with all of these mantras, and they are all nice.

Ghari...can the Pancha-tattva mantra be chanted as regular japa?

Or for that matter, any of these suggested? I'm used to thinking that japa = Hare Krishna mantra.

By chanting Om Namo Shivaya or Om Namo Ganeshaya you are invoking the particular blessings of those deities, correct?

Yogesh, I've already got 1 and a very satisfactory amount of 2 from your list, and don't care about 3 and 4. I'm not seeking to gain anything other than the spiritual. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of about 95% of my possessions but a materially-renounced life isn't practical for me and may never be.

I actually lead a decently regulated life, am a vegetarian, don't drink alcohol, smoke, or use illegal drugs, don't gamble as a habit, and sex life is at a minimum...but still can't reconcile chanting the Hare Krishna Mahamantra as regular japa until I can follow 4 regs 100%.

As I understand it, chanting in kirtan doesn't carry same potential for offense as in japa.

I'm not seeking a guru or initiation into ISKCON or any other organization or sampradaya; I just want to work on the practical aspects of meditation.

Guest guest

Datta Pandya:

Thanks for your reply as well.

Regarding Gayatri, I've always thought that this mantra was only for initiated brahmanas, per ISKCON practice.

My wife chants Gayatri; it appeals to her much more than Hare Krishna maha-mantra and she doesn't think particular initiations matter.

Ghari...can the Pancha-tattva mantra be chanted as regular japa?

Or for that matter, any of these suggested? I'm used to thinking that japa = Hare Krishna mantra.

Certainly the Panca-tattva mantra is the most merciful recommended here. And it will lead to the Mahamantra, especially since Lord Nityananda knows that is your goal. They say we have to beg the Mahamantra from Lord Caitanya, and His favor is gained through the mercy of Nityananda Prabhu. Chanting Panca-tattva is your best approach until Hare Krsna naturally arises in your heart. And it will as your heart is cleansed. This is the authorized path.

The following link will answer all your questions and perfectly clarify what is your best interest at this stage: http://vedabase.net/cc/adi/8/31/en

By chanting Om Namo Shivaya or Om Namo Ganeshaya you are invoking the particular blessings of those deities, correct?
http://vedabase.net/bg/9/23/en

Guest guest

gHari,

Thanks very much for the info.

This brings to mind the question as to why people new to ISKCON are encouraged to chant Hare Krishna as japa rather than the Pancha-tattva mantra....The verses and purports from Sri Caitanya Caritamrta make the relationship between the two mantras and the appropriate time for the chanting of each very clear.

Guest guest

There was a time, I believe in late '73 or early '74 when Vishnujana Maharaja recommended that devotees chant a round of the Panca Tattva on their beads before chanting their 16 rounds, and devotees were doing this for a month or two. But that didn't last long, as Srila Prabhupada put a stop to it, saying it wasn't meant to be chanted on the beads, that this was a concoction, and that only the maha-mantra was to be chanted as japa (on the beads.) Other than that, everything else is true, that we are supposed to chant the Panca Tattva mantra between rounds.

I hope this doesn't discourage anyone in any way. Perhaps this was just Srila Prabhupada's own particular mood on the matter. He definitely wanted us to chant the Panca Tattva mantra, as this will help free us from offenses, but my strong impression was that he didn't want us to chant this mantra on our beads, that the beads were reserved only for the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. Does anyone else remember this? I don't know if this is in the Vedabase or not.

In this Kali Yuga,the last in order of the 4 cosmic ages the mantras of Krishna, Ganesh and kali will have tremendous effect.

To ged rid of diversion, worries etc.,chant the following mantra for Sri Ganesh:

OM Gham Ganapathaye namaha. (preferably 108 times)

No strict regimen..

very simple and have the immediate divine experience.

Guest guest

In choosing a new mantra, I'd like to avoid anything that could be a misinterpretation of Srila Prabhupada's instructions, so I won't chant the Pancha-tattva mantra as japa. If SP instructed Visnujana mharaja in this way, he meant it.

Really, I'm looking for a simple, bonafide, spiritually beneficial mantra that will help clear my mind and promote concentration...I'm not ready for the big time yet. And it's not like Hare Krishna is the only mantra that is practiced on japa beads!

Gham Ganapathaye namaha is nice...I met a very good Indian gentleman who was a devotee of Sri Ganesha.

Guest guest

My Gurudeva has told me that the Panca Tattva Mantra needs to be chanted only ONCE before chanting our daily quota of rounds of Maha Mantra. It is not necessary for it to be chanted prior to chanting each of the rounds. That is simply a waste of time. Once we have invoked the blessings of Lord Caitanya and his associates, that will allow us to chant the Maha Mantra as many times as we like without offence. Every chant of Maha Mantra (even though it may not be the pure name we are chanting) will gradually by its inherent potency enable us to eventually chant the pure names of the Supreme Lord.

harer nAma harer nAma

harer nAmaiva kevalam

kalau nAsty eva nAsty eva

nAsty eva gatir anyathA

[Cc.Adi 17.21]

"In this age of quarrel and hypocrisy the only means of deliverance is chanting the holy name of the Lord. There is no other way. There is no other way. There is no other way."

I had never even considered chanting the Panca-tattva mantra on beads, so I imagine that it would be good not to, as you say. But just for the sake of using beads, it hardly seems reasonable to abandon the yuga avatara's mercy, and Prabhupada's instructions. Demigod worship is simply not recommended, just as watering the leaves of a plant is not recommended ..... harer nAma is the prescription.

It all comes down to "Upon whom will I meditate?". The sound focuses our attention. Will I meditate on Ganesh or on Caitanya? What is my final goal? Being cool or a show-bottle yogi is meaningless unless there is a change of heart. Srila Prabhupada wrote above that these acaryas (Caitanya, Nityananda, Advaita, Gadadhara, Srivasadi, and all the servants of Gauranga) will shower their blessing on one who faithfully meditates on Them through the Panca-tattva mantra. I can't imagine anything more fortunate. Beads or no beads.

That is simply a waste of time.

Waste of time? Are we so harried? I think we had better simplify our life if we don't have enough spare time for such pleasures.

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura also wrote Harinama Cintamani, a guide to chanting the Maha-mantra, which lays down a very exacting and warning-filled standard for its practice. One read through this is enough to scare the average chanter away for good.

Dear friend,

If you came to know about it through a reliable source, there is no question of initiation. For example you can find more about it at www.awgp.org . Pt.Shriram Sharma Acharyaji has opened Gayatri mantra to all. He is considered today's Vishvamitra and Vasistha. If you go through his literature like Super Science Of Gayatri which is available at

http://www.awgp.org/gamma/EngBookSSG or Gayatri sadhana why and how at http://www.awgp.org/gamma/EngBookGSWH and then start doing Gayatri mantra, it is equivalent to taking mantra from a master.

In 10th chapter of Bhagavad Geeta, in 35th verse, Lord Krishna recognised Himself as Gayatri Mantra. The syllebles of this mantra is structured in such a way that each sylleble activates those glands in our body, that gives benifits to the devotee.

The details are in the table below.

No. Letter Gland Involved Energy

1 Tat Tapini Success

2 Sa Saphalta Bravery

3 Vi Vishwa Maintenance

4 Tur Tushti Well-being

5 Va Varda Yoga

6 Re Revati Love

7 Ni Sookshma Money

8 Yam Gyana Brilliance

9 Bhar Bharga Defense

10 Go Gomati Intellect

11 De Devika Suppression

12 Va Varahi Devotion

13 Sya Sinhani Power of Retention

14 Dhee Dhyan Life-Breath

15 Ma Maryada Self-restraint

16 Hi Sfuta Penance

17 Dhi Medha Farsightedness

18 Yo Yogmaya Awakening

19 Yo Yogini Production

20 Naha Dharini Sweetness

21 Pra Prabhava Ideal

22 Cho Ooshma Courage

23 Da Drashya Wisdom

24 Yat Niranjan Service

Gayatri mantra activates the above mentioned twenty-four divine qualities in the devotee. With their growth, varied accomplishments and prosperity start manifesting in the life of the devotee. Gayatri Sadhana is the well-organized scientific process of spiritual growth and it has a solid scientific basis.

In 10th chapter of Bhagavad Geeta, in 35th verse, Lord Krishna recognised Himself as Gayatri Mantra. The syllebles of this mantra is structured in such a way that each sylleble activates those glands in our body, that gives benifits to the devotee.

1 Tat Tapini Success

2 Sa Saphalta Bravery

3 Vi Vishwa Maintenance

4 Tur Tushti Well-being

5 Va Varda Yoga

6 Re Revati Love

7 Ni Sookshma Money

8 Yam Gyana Brilliance

9 Bhar Bharga Defense

10 Go Gomati Intellect

11 De Devika Suppression

12 Va Varahi Devotion

16 Hi Sfuta Penance

18 Yo Yogmaya Awakening

19 Yo Yogini Production

21 Pra Prabhava Ideal

22 Cho Ooshma Courage

23 Da Drashya Wisdom

24 Yat Niranjan Service

Gayatri mantra activates the above mentioned twenty-four divine qualities in the devotee. With their growth, varied accomplishments and prosperity start manifesting in the life of the devotee. Gayatri Sadhana is the well-organized scientific process of spiritual growth and it has a solid scientific basis.

1 Tat Tapini Success

2 Sa Saphalta Bravery

3 Vi Vishwa Maintenance

4 Tur Tushti Well-being

5 Va Varda Yoga

6 Re Revati Love

7 Ni Sookshma Money

8 Yam Gyana Brilliance

9 Bhar Bharga Defense

10 Go Gomati Intellect

11 De Devika Suppression

12 Va Varahi Devotion

16 Hi Sfuta Penance

18 Yo Yogmaya Awakening

19 Yo Yogini Production

21 Pra Prabhava Ideal

22 Cho Ooshma Courage

23 Da Drashya Wisdom

24 Yat Niranjan Service