IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sridas

Gaura kirttan

Rate this topic

Gaura-bihita, kirtanna suni'

anande hrdoya nace

Upon hearing the kind of kirttana ordained by Lord Gauracandra, my heart dances in ecstasy.

So what is that kirttan, can it still be heard and where can it be heard ?:crying2:

The message and conception may be passed down through Parampara but how is the deep mood and substance, rythem and melody passed on, is there no trace of those #1 bhajans from 500 years ago?

Anyone ?

Gaura-bihita, kirtanna suni'

anande hrdoya nace

Upon hearing the kind of kirttana ordained by Lord Gauracandra, my heart dances in ecstasy.

So what is that kirttan, can it still be heard and where can it be heard ?:crying2:

The message and conception may be passed down through Parampara but how is the deep mood and substance, rythem and melody passed on, is there no trace of those #1 bhajans from 500 years ago?

Anyone ?

it's not the rhythm and melody that makes it Gaura kirtan.

it's the outpouring of heart that is the qualitative feature of Gaura kirtan.

I can mimic the singing of an old babaji in Bengali style, but I can tell you for sure that it's just melody and style and not proof of anything more.

I could cut a tape and promote it as some old Bengali babaji and a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

So, it's not melody, rhythm and voice that makes Gaura kirtan.:cool:

I have been gifted with a proclivity to find sweet and mystic melodies for chanting bhajan, but I can assure you my spiritual life is a work in progress.

I can relate to the work in progress.

And I can probably accept that the Lords Name is chanted in millions of metres, ragas, beats etc. not just in this dimention or universe. Also I can appreciate the sincere call of the heart or soul is more essential.

I guess I'm just curious how the kirtan leaders of Mahaprabhus day expressed their pure sentiments, seeing as they are the closest souls to the the centre and source of all sound. Therefore all expression must emanate from that primordial personality.

And what was the state of Indian music 500 years ago? They obviously were'nt playing harmoniums and electric guitars, it seems the Lords preference was for kohl and karatals mostly.And I was wondering if the Bengali vaisnavas have preserved some of that spirit the way other cultures have preserved their musical traditions as just about all of Bengal was influenced by sahajiyaism for some time..

And it's interesting to see how some of the western input has even shifted from the original way Srila Prabhupad presented the kirtan.

If the sight of the diety is in the eye of the seer, does it follow that the sound of the holy vibrations of Gods names must also be in the aural reception of the hearer, according to ones purity and vicinity to the centre we hear accordingly.

Srila Bhaktisidanta Saraswati Thakur wasn't interested in the sweet sound rather he heard the depth and intensity of dedication behind the call.

I don't know where that leaves the Gandharvas. But personally I can't help liking sweet kirtan, what's worse I'm even attracted to sweet music. and dancing.

I've heard Srila Sridara Maharaj state you can even catch and join the living sankirtan movement of Mahaprabhu like it is just around the corner or over the horizon. That's a pretty hopeful prospect.