IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
tackleberry

End of the world in 2012

Rate this topic

:eek2:

Several sources indicate that there will be a polar reversal which will have disastrous consequences for planet Earth. The Mayan calendar ends in 2012.

They do not have a calendar after that. So far they have never been wrong.

Does this mean the world will end. What do our scriptures have to say about

this? Any ideas??

The guy who was writing the Mayan calendar dropped dead at 2012, and no one else knew what he was doing, so that's the way it ended up.

As far as our scriptures are concerned I don't know of any specific apocalyptic prophecies for the near future.

probably after 2012 ther will not be existance of these Maya sect isnt it? :((

Hi I too belong to the Madhva sect. You are right ,The Madhvaites have not predicted any end of the world scenarios . But all the same, Tha Mayans were no fools either. They are, as everyone can see, a descendant of the Ancient Indians.Their methods of worshoip are also similar to the Hindus. Since these

people were great Mathematical geniuses who computed the value of "pi" to the sixth or seventh decimal(i dont really know) ,I am sure they wouldnt commit any major slip ups when it comes to predicting future events.

:eek2:

Several sources indicate that there will be a polar reversal which will have disastrous consequences for planet Earth. The Mayan calendar ends in 2012. They do not have a calendar after that. So far they have never been wrong. Does this mean the world will end. What do our scriptures have to say about

this? Any ideas??

Can you give some specific examples of Mayan prophecies that came to pass? You said they have never been wrong.

I have read a little about the 2012 hype online, but never seen any specific prophecies from the Mayans. I've only heard how their calendar ends on that date.

There are indications of polar reversals in 2012, I am not sure if it is the end of the world!

Based on my belief and the vedas, the time line is divided into 4 major cycles and we are in the fourth cycle now. This cycle has elapsed by about 5000 years only. Another 427,000 years are left for the end.

The world will churn on, however, the cataclysmic events will come, and soon. Not just because the mayans calandar indicates, but because prophecy of many cultures all have the same ideas.

Perhaps a better way to put it is that it is the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT. Those who may deny by saying that the golden age of kali yuga will go on for 10,000 years, take a look around. Not much gold that I can see. Events are sure to take place to destroy the horrendous effects of so-called religion, and create an atmosphere where the samkirtana principles will be much more acceptable to the people in general. Perhaps in survival camps or caves, the survivors will have mnore inclination to have a bit more faith in the Supreme Lord, rather than the present need to surrender to oil companies, pharmaceutical corporations and banking institutions. Their END, I cheer.

What will it be, polar shift, spoiled food chain, bio-calamities? All of them. No, the world will churn on, and people (a lot less of them) will run thru the ages. The histories (Puranas) are full of accounts of similar PARTIAL annihilations. This civilization is only three or four thousand years old, the survivors of the last age then crawled out of their caves. The last partial annihilation is the basis of our shastra, the end of dwarapa yuga, where the entire world population was decimated by the Kuruksetra war, where 18,000,000 died each day for 18 days, and the entire dynasty of the Yadus self destructed as well (the few survivors gradually became the Israelites and Egyptians). Only five thousand years ago. King Janamanjaya had a very small kingdom. Survivors migrated to all parts of the world to begin civilization anew.

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls, the stories of the last great civilizations are written in the caves found by archeologists.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

If not the end of the world one could at least witness a period of cataclysmic changes and a lot of people may die due to vagaries in weather patterns. What is most worrying is that poor people, no matter which country they belong too will be affected the most by any sort of violent environmental changes. :crying2:.

If not the end of the world one could at least witness a period of cataclysmic changes and a lot of people may die due to vagaries in weather patterns. What is most worrying is that poor people, no matter which country they belong too will be affected the most by any sort of violent environmental changes. :crying2:.

That happens today anyway. The world will not end yet. The age of Kali is still young. Why should we worry anyway? Be happy and please Krishna.

JAy Swaminarayan

Namaste,

as was said earlier, if it happens(which would not surprise me) it will just be a partial annihilation, not the end of the world as in complete annihilation. Vedic predictions tell us that this world will end by an all-consuming fire (instigated by Lord Shiva) and science agrees with this. It has been calculated that the sun will keep growing and growing until finally it wanes as it's body is finished. So some billion years into the future the sun will consume the earth in one such all-consuming fire. But until then, we will only have to deal with partial annihilations. Personally I like to envision it that when mother Bhumi becomes too much troubled by the burden of the destructive demoniac people, she will, in order to relieve her tension, cause upheavals in the form of natural disasters, much like a cow who is bothered by flies wigs her ears and tail to brush away the source of the nuisance.

The following is an interesting read taken from a website called "Friends of Vrindavan" which ties in nicely to this subject matter:

The Srimad Bhagavatam tells a story from long ago of a time when the world was governed by the cruel and selfish King Vena. Blinded by pride in his own wealth, Vena stopped all religious functions and started his own cult, with himself as the deity. He ordered everyone to worship him instead of Vishnu. When they saw that the true worship of God had been stopped, the sages of the world foresaw disaster.They knew that as soon as religious activities were stopped there could be no peace or prosperity.

The sages first went to King Vena and demanded that he change his ways; reasoning with him in persuasive words, they explained to him that his first duty as ruler was to promote piety and religion in society; that if brahmanas made offerings to God the demigods controlling the workings of the world would be pleased and reward humanity with natural prosperity. Vena, however, ridiculed their advice. He insisted that, as the rightful king, he was the divine embodiment of all the demigods, and should be the only object of worship for everyone.

King Vena's beliefs have a parallel in modern times. Today's secular governments, under the influence of modern economists and scientists, argue that religion and traditional customs, being unscientific, are no longer of any value because they have been replaced by rational and objective scientific and economic theories; all we now need for success, they argue, is more and more expenditure on science and technology and economic development. In other words we should make our offerings to a new god, the god of science, technology and economics.

When Vena refused to change, the sages decided they had no alternative than to remove him for the good of everyone. They cursed him and such was the power of their words that he immediately died. They then prayed for a divine incarnation of Vishnu to take his place. The new king became famous as Prithu, the subduer of the earth. He established townships and organised agriculture for the first time. Most importantly, he reintroduced religious functions and subdued the planet earth, not by raping her, as the phrase suggests to inhabitants of the twentieth-century, but by pleasing her and invoking her motherly instinct. Because of the unjust rule of Vena and the bad elements which had flourished in human society as a result, she had withheld her riches. She said to King Prithu, "My seeds, roots and herbs, which are meant to be offered to God, were being used by untruthful men of no spiritual understanding, therefore I have hidden them, but you can now extract them by pleasing me."

Bhumi, mother Earth, is conscious of the behaviour of human beings, and she responds to that behaviour. If they treat her kindly she supplies them with everything they need, but if she is mistreated she can keep back all these things. The way to please her and ensure abundance is through religious activity. Being herself a servant of God, she is pleased when she sees God being worshipped. In the Bhagavad Gita this principle is explained:

A
ll beings live on food grains, which are dependent on rain. Rain is produced by
yajna
(religious ceremony) which is based upon the performance of duties as taught in the Vedic scriptures.

As the story is told in the Bhagavatam, Bhumi took the form of a cow and asked Prithu to bring a calf. He then milked from her all the herbs and grains which she was keeping. When the mother cow sees her calf, she is overwhelmed with love and her milk flows freely. The symbol of the cow and her calf used here therefore emphasises that the relationship between the earth planet and her inhabitants is that of a mother and her children. What is needed is love and affection, not scientific exploitation, to bring out her life-nourishing goodness.

In a manner reminiscent of the rule of King Vena, modern rulers exploit the earth, extracting food grains, seeds and herbs as well as valuable minerals and other resources, but they make no offerings in the temple for the pleasure of Vishnu or any other form of God. Sometimes stocks of grains are destroyed to keep the prices down, or farmers are paid to stop producing. Worst of all, they sometimes build up huge surplus stocks of food-grains in one part of the world while elsewhere people are forced to starve, all in the name of trade laws and the pursuit of profit. The earth is a devotee of Vishnu, and her service is to provide all living beings with food, as a mother feeds her children. If we abuse her kindness and waste what she gives us, she becomes unhappy. She does not like to give her abundance to selfish men who fail to honour God and who use what she gives them only for themselves. Therefore, feeling neglected and uncared for, she may again stop supplying food for such people, and they may themselves starve. There is evidence that this process may have already begun to affect even the affluent West. In North America, despite all efforts of the latest agricultural technology, declining fertility, loss of topsoil and water shortages are beginning to pose a serious threat to cereal production.

Another interesting angle may be the following. As can be ascertained from Srimad Bhagavatam as quoted in the following article, whenever Krishna leaves earth mother Bhumi will react to it. So since from a Vedic point of view, Krishna in His form of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Has only just departed this earth one could take it that again mother Bhumi is reacting to the Lord's recent departure:

For Mother Bhumi's Sake <hr>

USA (VNN) - by Visoka dasa

In the first canto part 3, we read a fascinating description of weather anomalies and how the earth reacts to the departure of lord Krishna. I quote from 1st canto- "Just see how the smoke encircles the sky. It appears that the earth and mountains are throbbing. Just hear the cloudless thunder and see the bolts from the blue. The wind blows violently, blasting dust every where and creating darkness. Clouds are raining everywhere with bloody disasters rivers, tributaries, ponds, reservoirs and the mind are all perturbed. .. what is this extraordinary time? What is going to happen."

The "disappearance of lord Krishna" chapter of Srimad Bhagavatam tells us how mother Bhumi reacts in separation from the supreme lord, how she goes through heavy changes, when the lord leaves. When Krishna left, at that moment the personality of Kali appeared. Inauspicious portents or signs will follow the departure of great personalities, or the departure of religious principles. There are tangible reactions to the decline of religious principles.

So, inauspicious events can happen in the departure of the principles of religion, of which truthfulness is the last leg of the cow still standing in this Kali yuga. Truthfulness is a highly valued virtue in Kali, since it is the last leg standing. Even in mundane events, the president of the USA is put to task, when he is under suspicion of lying and coverup. In the 8th canto, it states that "mother earth can tolerate all kinds of burdens, except the burden of a liar." From this we can understand the high priority of truthfulness. It is even vital to our physical well being and continuance.

Gaura-premanande Hari Haribol!

Hi I too belong to the Madhva sect. You are right ,The Madhvaites have not predicted any end of the world scenarios . But all the same, Tha Mayans were no fools either. They are, as everyone can see, a descendant of the Ancient Indians.Their methods of worshoip are also similar to the Hindus. Since these

people were great Mathematical geniuses who computed the value of "pi" to the sixth or seventh decimal(i dont really know) ,I am sure they wouldnt commit any major slip ups when it comes to predicting future events.

i dun understand your point! and especially the way u re relating the madwas (they are not sect) with the mayans (am I right calling tem that way?) . And you calim to be madhwa! apprently u seem to even support christainity as i saw some of ur old threads...

Ther calender ended coz that particular sect ends after 2012 , its as simple as that, thats in no way realets to any end to this world:smash:

hari hari bol

There is no Hindusm in this World - only Secular Hindus who follow halfheartily while still living a life of sin.

Among Buddhist societies, they have forgotten the teaching of Gautama Buddha and taken up some new sect called Pure land Buddhism which teachs them to work to be reborn in some Pureland.

Jews are in danger of being bombed and Muslims literally rule the World by default using their "We are the victims" crying techniques, Christians more interested in promoting Atheism and people simply doesn't care about God and Spiritualism anymore.

Frankly speaking, I will welcome the End of this World and usher the New Age. :pray:

i dun understand your point! and especially the way u re relating the madwas (they are not sect) with the mayans (am I right calling tem that way?) .

I was also an Advaithist until Dec 2005 when I suddenly woke up and realised I was following a philospohy which was completely illogical and false. I am a devotee of Sri Raghavendraswami and having read his books, embraced the Dvaitha philosophy.

There is no Hindusm in this World - only Secular Hindus who follow halfheartily while still living a life of sin.

Among Buddhist societies, they have forgotten the teaching of Gautama Buddha and taken up some new sect called Pure land Buddhism which teachs them to work to be reborn in some Pureland.

Jews are in danger of being bombed and Muslims literally rule the World by default using their "We are the victims" crying techniques, Christians more interested in promoting Atheism and people simply doesn't care about God and Spiritualism anymore.

Frankly speaking, I will welcome the End of this World and usher the New Age. :pray:

Thats very true! the Hinduism seems to sneak inside Bollywood heroes and heroines :smash:

hari hari bol

Pure Logic nothing else. No sentimentalism ir fanaticism involved here.

God has been described as having infinite attributes Satyam, Jnanam, Anandam and the Brahman described in Advaitha is "Nirguna" Brahman which is totally false and unacceptable .The Advaitans are worse than the Shunyavadis who accept only a void as the truth.Advaitans borrow some of their statements from the Vedas and conveniently reject other Vedic statements.

Also, the proof that Madhva gurus have been appearing in the dreams of their devotees speaks volumes about the truth contained in this philosophy.

Hari Sarvottama Vayu Jeevotama

Pure Logic nothing else. No sentimentalism or fanaticism involved here.

God has been described as having infinite attributes Satyam, Jnanam, Anandam and the Brahman described in Advaitha is "Nirguna" Brahman which is totally false and unacceptable .The Advaitans are worse than the Shunyavadis who accept only a void as the truth.Advaitans borrow some of their statements from the Vedas and conveniently reject other Vedic statements.

Also, the proof that Madhva gurus have been appearing in the dreams of their devotees speaks volumes about the truth contained in this philosophy.

Hari Sarvottama Vayu Jeevotama

I just want to put my two cents into this topic. If anyone pays close attention to the flood/ Atlantis-like stories around the world you will see that something DID happen. They are, after all, found all around the world. Do they Vedas not say civilizations have come and gone? What could be found lying in the ocean that we don't know about? What about those pyramids off the coast of Japan, they could only have been built when the oceans were lower, in other words during the Ice Age. If anyone recalls the frozen mammoth they found a while back that had warm climate food in its mouth and stomach.....don't you find that to be a little weird? Something catastrophic happened.

I also have a book on a theory that the Mayans were using the stars to predict the next catastrophe, just to let you know the mayans believe in cycles like the Hindus do.

Do any of you guys believe in astrology? If so, why?

Also, just because Madhva gurus appear in the dreams of their devotees doesn't say anything about the truth of their philosophy. Maybe it says something about the devotion of the gurus' disciples, but that's about all it can say. Do these Madhva gurus say something important and SPECIFIC to the disciples that would be proof of the validity of the dream itself? Could have been just a dream, for all you know.

Also, there have been disciples of Satya Sai Baba who have had dreams of him, and then become his disciples. Do you think that validates his philosophy and him as a guru?

Also, the way I interpret nirguna brahman is actually not as void, but infinity. Kind of seeing the glass half full as half empty, it's a matter of perspective and nothing more, as far as I can tell. I don't think advaitists deem the void as absolute reality, and if they do, then I definitely don't agree with them. I believe God, if He exists, has all attributes imaginable, and He is infinite. To me, the matter of void or no void, is a matter of semantics, as the experience is ultimately the same, but the expression of that experience in language is filtered down to mean two different things even though they're the same thing.

I am talking about dreams that have lead to various objects being unearthed and miracles happening. The disciples dont have dreams devoid of any meaning. Also, Dvaitha follows hard logic unlike other philosophies ,sometimes people find it difficult to accept this philoposhy as it violates the comfort zone that they weave around them. There are certain hard facts to accept and people in general dont find that very comforting,instead they adopt a philosophy that can comfort their tired bodies and souls. I like Gaudiya, but Dvaitha is logical and believes that the Lord is not only kind and loving but also just. All cannot reach Swarga. People experience different levels of happiness accordign to their "Swabava" or nature. All souls are not alike and can be characterized into Sattwic, Rajasic and Tamasic. Only the Sattwic souls can have "Aparoksha Jnanam" (direct realization) of Lord Narayana .Only they go to Vaikunta and other spiritual heavens .The Rajasika go to a different world just like Earth only a bit better. There they have varying degrees of happiness and grief.

The Tamasikas fall into hell known as Andhan Tamas where there us only darkness, ignorance and grief. All these worlds are eternal and permanent with no escape.All this happens after one obtains liberation or "Moksha" . So "Moksha" doesnt mean that a person is going to Vaikunta ,he may go to any of the spiritual planets ,even Hell.

This philosophy shakes you to the core and is a wake up call to all those who thought they could sneak into Heaven just by frequenting temples and later on committing heinous crimes.Though all souls have a mixture of Sattva, Rajas and Tamas it is a question of which 'guna' preponderates.

I am talking about dreams that have lead to various objects being unearthed and miracles happening. The disciples dont have dreams devoid of any meaning. Also, Dvaitha follows hard logic unlike other philosophies ,sometimes people find it difficult to accept this philoposhy as it violates the comfort zone that they weave around them. There are certain hard facts to accept and people in general dont find that very comforting,instead they adopt a philosophy that can comfort their tired bodies and souls. I like Gaudiya, but Dvaitha is logical and believes that the Lord is not only kind and loving but also just. All cannot reach Swarga. People experience different levels of happiness accordign to their "Swabava" or nature. All souls are not alike and can be characterized into Sattwic, Rajasic and Tamasic. Only the Sattwic souls can have "Aparoksha Jnanam" (direct realization) of Lord Narayana .Only they go to Vaikunta and other spiritual heavens .The Rajasika go to a different world just like Earth only a bit better. There they have varying degrees of happiness and grief.

The Tamasikas fall into hell known as Andhan Tamas where there us only darkness, ignorance and grief. All these worlds are eternal and permanent with no escape.All this happens after one obtains liberation or "Moksha" . So "Moksha" doesnt mean that a person is going to Vaikunta ,he may go to any of the spiritual planets ,even Hell.

This philosophy shakes you to the core and is a wake up call to all those who thought they could sneak into Heaven just by frequenting temples and later on committing heinous crimes.Though all souls have a mixture of Sattva, Rajas and Tamas it is a question of which 'guna' preponderates.

Sorry, but I definitely disagree with this view. To me, it seems blind and ignorant, and the kind of exclusivistic view born of pure ego.

How is your philosophy backed by hard logic? What motivation do people have to attain moksha if their end destination will be the same regardless of what they do or what they think?

How is your philosophy a wake up call to those who thought they could frequent temples and then commit heinous crimes later? If their gunas in the soul are tamasic in nature they're going to hell regardless if they commit heinous crimes or not according to you. Their actions, their thoughts, their efforts to improve themselves mean nothing to the kind of God you perceive as loving, just and kind.

How is God just if people have no chance to improve themselves and the gunas that the soul is born with determine where they go to once they've attained liberation? After all, according to your words people will have no choice in the matter as to where they go, or anything of that sort. The gunas that a person's soul is made of determines their destination according to you, no matter how much he strives to improve himself and purify himself.

Do you not believe in reincarnation? What is the purpose of reincarnation if it isn't to improve yourself and erase those gunas? Why would people desire moksha if it would lead them to hell? What is moksha to you, really?

You say these spiritual worlds are permanent, eternal, and once you go to them, then you are stuck forever. This view seems more like fire and brimstone Christianity, the type of evangelical religions that I find utterly repulsive and truly devoid of real logic and sense. If this were the truth, even if I happened to go to heaven, I would be repulsed by such a God who would be so judgemental and unkind as to not give every soul the opportunity to improve themselves and attain Him, assuming He is worth attaining. It is the very antithesis of a God who is loving and kind and just.

Also don't think that just because dreams lead to miraculous events that confirms any kind of philosophy. That is a foolish notion, as there are many religions and disciples of many different philosophies and religions who attest to the witnessing of miraculous events and dreams that lead to miraculous events.

Another point of note is that out of all the Near-death experiences I've read of, and all the yogis that I've read of, very few have ever expressed this type of philosophy. Most have said the path to God is Love, and that God is for all, and everyone ultimately returns to the same source. That is what I believe, and that is what makes sense to me.