IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Muniloka

Am I Hindu? -First Post-

Rate this topic

Greetings, my name is Terrence. I apologize if this is an improper place to put this post, but I'm new around here and wasn't sure.

Essentially I am trying to figure out if what I believe is Hindu, if I am Hindu. I'll give you guys a little back ground here so, perhaps, you have a better understanding of my position and can help to answer my questions better. I appreciate any input on this topic as it is something I have been thinking a lot about for the past couple of years.

I live in the USA, Detroit to be precise. I'm a 23 year old caucasian male (although I see no significance in "race") and the father of a seven year old boy. I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school growing up but was expelled for "acting up", which essentially translates into "not buying it". Christianity never felt right to me, although it does have it's merits. As a teenager I explored many religions, largely pagan or non monotheistic. I was drawn to Taoism and Buddhism in particular but have always had a strong aversion to "organized religion" or "Sunday religions" which seem to be more about socialization than true spiritual growth and making progress as a being. Religion has always seemed to me to be about subjugating one's self, not enlightening one's self. Answers are all that matter, the questions are speed bumps instead of lessons to be learned, rungs on a latter. Over the years I have spent my life observing the world, people and our natures. Exploring science and philosophy. I have come to some conclusions. Eventually I stumbled across Hinduism, which for some reason I had never really considered, and it seems that the conclusions I have made independently are essentially Hindu as far as I can tell. So, I will now list some of my beliefs, and my question is are these Beliefs compatible with Hindu and to what degree?

-I believe in a god, but not in an Xian western sense. God as a force and being not in the same as men. God as the encompassment of all things, beings and forces.

-I believe we are all abstractions of god, manifestations that exist in our world which is, in essence, illusory. Almost as if this were a dream of god, us all characters within that dream. Of course, more significant than this, but with that relativistic sense of "reality".

-I believe in morality. Not for the sake of keeping the gears of society moving, but in the sense that we are all parts of the same whole. To do wrong to another is to have the hand cut the foot.

-I believe that the point of this existence is to live and experience. To bring those experiences back to "god". To learn and transcend our limitations, to become one with that "god" again and make it "more" for our inclusion as enlightened beings.

-I believe in "Karma" as a metaphysical law, a sense of equilibrium that exists in the universe; balance. To act wrongly is to unbalance ourselves and the universe and harm it and ourselves. Perhaps a manifestation of the theory of Homeostasis in Physics?

-I believe that even though we are abstractions of "god" we still retain individuality. This is akin to the facets of a gem or viewing an object from different angles, a sense of duality. I believe this "truer self" exists on a "level" between us and god, some might consider it a soul, but I think of it as more of an ego free quintessential self, a divine self.

There are a few things that seem to be central to Hinduism that I'm not sure on, like Reincarnation and Caste; but I do not actively disbelieve in them. I'm just not sure, but would like to hear any reasoning for their existence. I'm open minded about these things.

These are, by and large, the core tenants of my belief. Are they Hindu? If so, is there any good literature for someone interested in learning more? Something simple and easy to explain? If these aren't Hindu, are you aware of any faith perspective or lifestyle that shares similar beliefs? I feel as if I am stagnating with too few people who understand my perspective or have similar views and can help me expand them. I've never had a purpose for "religion" since really, it's just a matter of living your beliefs. But I'd like to have people to discuss my thoughts with. I've considered visiting a temple not too far from my house, but I'm not sure how they would receive an Ethnic caucasian (I don't know if race plays any part in Hindu, but hope it doesn't) who knows little. I'm also curious as to what the major sects or subdivisions of Hinduism and what the differences are.

Another question I had is whether or not Smoking is taboo in Hindu, drug use or promiscuity? I'd like to know the stance on these things as they seem to be core to Western Religion and a good place to gage how the morals approach lifestyle.

I thank you for your time and consideration,

-Terrence.

why label yourself as a Hindu, or anything at that? Such things are bodily designations. If you let go of this notion then your confusion is cut in half. Whether you are Christian, Hindu,Muslim or Vaishanava, the aim is spirituality and one of understanding your relationship with God (as your questions are tending to, so ur headed in the right direction!)

Sounds like you're asking all the questions that a follower of Vedas may well ask tho... keep searching :) you're bound to find answers. Good places to start are those scriptures that appeal to you... try Bhagavad Gita, Srimad Bhagvatham.... Mahabharata and Ramayana are nice stories to read to start of with too.

Hi Terrence,

Firstly, no need to apologize for posting here.

I read your post with great interest. Certainly most of your beliefs/concepts do not fit into a Western faith system. I think there are many like us looking for the real truths behind this existence.

I will explain what spirituality means to me. For me, Sanatana Dharma (or Hinduism) is a perfect path. It represents unity in diversity. It recognises that we are all different but there is a common strand unifying all of us. Unlike the Western faiths, in Hinduism there is no us and them mentality. No barriers between religions, races and peoples. We are all borne of the Supreme Brahman and we will all merge with Brahman ultimately. Under the umbrella of Hinduism, there are bewildering array of belief patterns. We recognise that there are many paths to the Truth.

Hinduism also teaches us to live in harmony not just with each other but also with our environment, which is a manifestation of the Divine. This kind of attitude is sorely needed at this time of global pollution and climate change.

Hinduism does not ask us to simply believe blindly but to experience the Truth. We have the tools, such as yoga and meditation. Unlike in the Western faiths, there is no long list of Do's and Don'ts. The scriptures advise us but recognises that, as intelligent human beings, we are responsible for our actions and their consequences. As such, we are advised to refrain from alcohol/smoking/promiscuity/meat-eating. All these activities hinder spiritual progress.

If more people believed in a philosophy where all beings are intrinsically linked and are regarded as equal, this world would be a peaceful place. Everyone wants peace but the human race must first undergo a spiritual revolution for that to happen. We must stop believing that a select few will attain salvation while everyone else is consigned to 'Hell'. This is religious bigotry, which must be regarded in the same way as racial discrimination. In this day and age, racism is thankfully frowned upon. However, for some reason it is still acceptable for followers of Western faiths to claim that they have a monopoly on God and 'Heaven'. I find this idea abhorrent.

Anyway, I hope I have helped in some way.

quoted by rishi80

If more people believed in a philosophy where all beings are intrinsically linked and are regarded as equal, this world would be a peaceful place.

I think so too. This is such an essential realization for a peaceful world. To see all entities, all life-forms, as part and particle of God; our love for them can grow equally as our love for God grows. To see beyond the external coverings of form and designation, especially nationhood, race, and religion.

Also by seeing this world in a spiritual sense, we can tread upon it lightly, care for it, and not take more than our set quota. This is something I am working on in my own life, something I have a growing passion for, as this global environments health is diminishing.

Sri Isopanisad Mantra One

Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong.

Gaea,

I don't really label myself anything and don't intend to. The reason I'm curious if my beliefs are compatible with Hinduism is because I find listening and understanding other people's beliefs is important to my own growth; other perspectives. However, by and large I live in a Christian or Muslim community. While I have no problem with their beliefs and compare and discuss regularly, I'm looking for some people who share similar beliefs as well. People who are walking a closer path to my own might be able to point out some interesting things I haven't considered or noticed.

Rishi & Bija,

I am in heart felt agreement with your opinions. I've been persecuted by many people for not sharing their beliefs, half of my family has even disowned me simply because I do not share their beliefs. It seems like a reaction created by fear and the need to feel superior to escape fear; it's just sad to have the people I grew up with act this way.

Also, you've mentioned one of the things I find the most humanistic about Hinduism (from my limited knowledge) and one of the things that makes it seem like it might be a community worth making contacts with: The idea that there is not a single right and wrong, no single authoritarian being. The idea of "religion" being a guide, not a set of moralistic laws. These religions seem to make god in the worst image of man rather than try to aid man in advancing to become enlightened and close to god. It seems that Hinduism, as a model that evolved from contemplation of sages and quasi-philosophy just reaches out to me as it is by and large how I have pursued understanding of god and existence. I find a common, compatible element between these methods and my own.

Would any of you have any books you could recommend? I've been reading through the Vedas and Upanishads I've found online, and have done some research on the evolution of Hinduism but am kind of hoping to find something to give me some context, a bit of reference to put the pieces in together. Maybe they make a Hinduism for Dummies :)

No. No. You are neither Hindu, nor Terrence.

I saw you yesterday in the Kingdom of God. Your name is Shaambhaava

You are dreaming now, Shaam. Wake up from your nightmare.

Terrance,

Just a comment on the idea of race being a divide between you and some other Hindus. This is due to the reality of us Hindus also being human and so you will come across persons that may not view you as a Hindu. But do not let this dissuade you from the path that you are on for the universal truths you have come to believe are wonderful and the fact that you have found them in your personal search rather than they have been taught to is an added credit to you.

If you want to chat I am open for conversation. (triniwoman99999@hotmail.com) A temple does not always reflect the truths of a religion but more the religious perspective of that community that frequents that temple. The same can be said if one visits a church.

If however we all delve deeper into Hindu thought the concept of soul is universal and even though I have been brought up a Brahmin I too see that there is life beyond caste.

Sitaram.