IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Muniloka

Am I Hindu? -First Post-

Rate this topic

Greetings, my name is Terrence. I apologize if this is an improper place to put this post, but I'm new around here and wasn't sure.

Essentially I am trying to figure out if what I believe is Hindu, if I am Hindu. I'll give you guys a little back ground here so, perhaps, you have a better understanding of my position and can help to answer my questions better. I appreciate any input on this topic as it is something I have been thinking a lot about for the past couple of years.

I live in the USA, Detroit to be precise. I'm a 23 year old caucasian male (although I see no significance in "race") and the father of a seven year old boy. I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school growing up but was expelled for "acting up", which essentially translates into "not buying it". Christianity never felt right to me, although it does have it's merits. As a teenager I explored many religions, largely pagan or non monotheistic. I was drawn to Taoism and Buddhism in particular but have always had a strong aversion to "organized religion" or "Sunday religions" which seem to be more about socialization than true spiritual growth and making progress as a being. Religion has always seemed to me to be about subjugating one's self, not enlightening one's self. Answers are all that matter, the questions are speed bumps instead of lessons to be learned, rungs on a latter. Over the years I have spent my life observing the world, people and our natures. Exploring science and philosophy. I have come to some conclusions. Eventually I stumbled across Hinduism, which for some reason I had never really considered, and it seems that the conclusions I have made independently are essentially Hindu as far as I can tell. So, I will now list some of my beliefs, and my question is are these Beliefs compatible with Hindu and to what degree?

-I believe in a god, but not in an Xian western sense. God as a force and being not in the same as men. God as the encompassment of all things, beings and forces.

-I believe we are all abstractions of god, manifestations that exist in our world which is, in essence, illusory. Almost as if this were a dream of god, us all characters within that dream. Of course, more significant than this, but with that relativistic sense of "reality".

-I believe in morality. Not for the sake of keeping the gears of society moving, but in the sense that we are all parts of the same whole. To do wrong to another is to have the hand cut the foot.

-I believe that the point of this existence is to live and experience. To bring those experiences back to "god". To learn and transcend our limitations, to become one with that "god" again and make it "more" for our inclusion as enlightened beings.

-I believe in "Karma" as a metaphysical law, a sense of equilibrium that exists in the universe; balance. To act wrongly is to unbalance ourselves and the universe and harm it and ourselves. Perhaps a manifestation of the theory of Homeostasis in Physics?

-I believe that even though we are abstractions of "god" we still retain individuality. This is akin to the facets of a gem or viewing an object from different angles, a sense of duality. I believe this "truer self" exists on a "level" between us and god, some might consider it a soul, but I think of it as more of an ego free quintessential self, a divine self.

There are a few things that seem to be central to Hinduism that I'm not sure on, like Reincarnation and Caste; but I do not actively disbelieve in them. I'm just not sure, but would like to hear any reasoning for their existence. I'm open minded about these things.

These are, by and large, the core tenants of my belief. Are they Hindu? If so, is there any good literature for someone interested in learning more? Something simple and easy to explain? If these aren't Hindu, are you aware of any faith perspective or lifestyle that shares similar beliefs? I feel as if I am stagnating with too few people who understand my perspective or have similar views and can help me expand them. I've never had a purpose for "religion" since really, it's just a matter of living your beliefs. But I'd like to have people to discuss my thoughts with. I've considered visiting a temple not too far from my house, but I'm not sure how they would receive an Ethnic caucasian (I don't know if race plays any part in Hindu, but hope it doesn't) who knows little. I'm also curious as to what the major sects or subdivisions of Hinduism and what the differences are.

Another question I had is whether or not Smoking is taboo in Hindu, drug use or promiscuity? I'd like to know the stance on these things as they seem to be core to Western Religion and a good place to gage how the morals approach lifestyle.

I thank you for your time and consideration,

-Terrence.

Greetings, my name is Terrence. I apologize if this is an improper place to put this post, but I'm new around here and wasn't sure.

Essentially I am trying to figure out if what I believe is Hindu, if I am Hindu. I'll give you guys a little back ground here so, perhaps, you have a better understanding of my position and can help to answer my questions better. I appreciate any input on this topic as it is something I have been thinking a lot about for the past couple of years.

I live in the USA, Detroit to be precise. I'm a 23 year old caucasian male (although I see no significance in "race") and the father of a seven year old boy. I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school growing up but was expelled for "acting up", which essentially translates into "not buying it". Christianity never felt right to me, although it does have it's merits. As a teenager I explored many religions, largely pagan or non monotheistic. I was drawn to Taoism and Buddhism in particular but have always had a strong aversion to "organized religion" or "Sunday religions" which seem to be more about socialization than true spiritual growth and making progress as a being. Religion has always seemed to me to be about subjugating one's self, not enlightening one's self. Answers are all that matter, the questions are speed bumps instead of lessons to be learned, rungs on a latter. Over the years I have spent my life observing the world, people and our natures. Exploring science and philosophy. I have come to some conclusions. Eventually I stumbled across Hinduism, which for some reason I had never really considered, and it seems that the conclusions I have made independently are essentially Hindu as far as I can tell. So, I will now list some of my beliefs, and my question is are these Beliefs compatible with Hindu and to what degree?

-I believe in a god, but not in an Xian western sense. God as a force and being not in the same as men. God as the encompassment of all things, beings and forces.

-I believe we are all abstractions of god, manifestations that exist in our world which is, in essence, illusory. Almost as if this were a dream of god, us all characters within that dream. Of course, more significant than this, but with that relativistic sense of "reality".

-I believe in morality. Not for the sake of keeping the gears of society moving, but in the sense that we are all parts of the same whole. To do wrong to another is to have the hand cut the foot.

-I believe that the point of this existence is to live and experience. To bring those experiences back to "god". To learn and transcend our limitations, to become one with that "god" again and make it "more" for our inclusion as enlightened beings.

-I believe in "Karma" as a metaphysical law, a sense of equilibrium that exists in the universe; balance. To act wrongly is to unbalance ourselves and the universe and harm it and ourselves. Perhaps a manifestation of the theory of Homeostasis in Physics?

-I believe that even though we are abstractions of "god" we still retain individuality. This is akin to the facets of a gem or viewing an object from different angles, a sense of duality. I believe this "truer self" exists on a "level" between us and god, some might consider it a soul, but I think of it as more of an ego free quintessential self, a divine self.

There are a few things that seem to be central to Hinduism that I'm not sure on, like Reincarnation and Caste; but I do not actively disbelieve in them. I'm just not sure, but would like to hear any reasoning for their existence. I'm open minded about these things.

These are, by and large, the core tenants of my belief. Are they Hindu? If so, is there any good literature for someone interested in learning more? Something simple and easy to explain? If these aren't Hindu, are you aware of any faith perspective or lifestyle that shares similar beliefs? I feel as if I am stagnating with too few people who understand my perspective or have similar views and can help me expand them. I've never had a purpose for "religion" since really, it's just a matter of living your beliefs. But I'd like to have people to discuss my thoughts with. I've considered visiting a temple not too far from my house, but I'm not sure how they would receive an Ethnic caucasian (I don't know if race plays any part in Hindu, but hope it doesn't) who knows little. I'm also curious as to what the major sects or subdivisions of Hinduism and what the differences are.

Another question I had is whether or not Smoking is taboo in Hindu, drug use or promiscuity? I'd like to know the stance on these things as they seem to be core to Western Religion and a good place to gage how the morals approach lifestyle.

I thank you for your time and consideration,

-Terrence.

Well, I'd say your beliefs are similar to Mahayana Buddhism, or vishishtadvaita Hinduism (qualified non-dualism).

I'm Hindu and I don't consider caste as anything but a social construct that Hindus live in, but isn't Hindu by definition. It's just a social construct, integrated into religious scriptures, but if you eliminate caste, the religion doesn't change as far as I'm concerned. Many Hindu yogis also do not believe in the caste system but identify themselves as Hindu.

In some places where you go, race will matter unfortunately. Race or caste, in certain temples you will be regarded as a curiosity or an uninvited guest. In India especially there are temples where NRI's, or Americans are not allowed. Of course there are also temples that are open to all of the Hindu faith, so you just have to look around for a temple that would suit you.

I believe Vaishnav Hinduism discourages smoking, drug use, and promiscuity. The true goal in most Hindu sects is to transcend the sensual pleasures and seek contact with God by transcending the ego. So most sects will discourage drug use, smoking and promiscuity. However, I think certain sects do use drugs for mystical experiences and sex as well (Tantric Hinduism possibly, and Kashmir Shaivism).

Thanks for some good answers harerama. I'm glad to hear that Caste doesn't play a very large role, but sad that race may. I suppose, perhaps, it would be best to contact the Temple I have considered visiting and try to get a feel for their reaction first.

Alos, thanks Admin, I got a few good responses there as well.