IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

what's mystic power?

Rate this topic

What is it and how does it work anybody know?

Just imagine I wanted to go to a place somewhere far away. How scientifically could you invent it? Like if you have a mystic power to transport to any place, you can magic yourself. How would you make it? I mean how exactly does this power work? How does a person go from one place to another mystically? What is the science for this mystic? You know what I am asking!

What is it and how does it work anybody know?

Just imagine I wanted to go to a place somewhere far away. How scientifically could you invent it? Like if you have a mystic power to transport to any place, you can magic yourself. How would you make it? I mean how exactly does this power work? How does a person go from one place to another mystically? What is the science for this mystic? You know what I am asking!

Everything is mystical to me when we get right down to it. From gigantic galaxies hanging in space to tiny seeds sprouting and growing into banyon trees which produce millions more seeds.

Your specific question is one I have had also but have no answer to. I even wonder if those that possess such mystic abilities even really know in full. It may be like when I turn on my TV set. I know how to operate it to get the desired result but can't explain the physics behind it.

Guest guest

Different types of yoga are described in the Bhagavad Gita, such as karma, jnana, astanga, and finally bhakti. My understanding has always been that astanga yoga is the process of mysticism. You can look up astanga yoga in the index of the Bhagavad Gita to find out more, but here is one description from the 5th chapter which I found:

After explaining the above principles of liberation in the Supreme, the Lord gives instruction to Arjuna as to how one can come to that position by the practice of the mysticism or yoga known as astanga-yoga, which is divisible into an eightfold procedure called yama, niyama, asana, pranayama, pratyahara, dharana, dhyana and samadhi. In the Sixth Chapter the subject of yoga is explicitly detailed, and at the end of the Fifth it is only preliminarily explained. One has to drive out the sense objects such as sound, touch, form, taste and smell by the pratyahara process in yoga, and then keep the vision of the eyes between the two eyebrows and concentrate on the tip of the nose with half-closed lids. There is no benefit in closing the eyes altogether, because then there is every chance of falling asleep. Nor is there benefit in opening the eyes completely, because then there is the hazard of being attracted by sense objects. The breathing movement is restrained within the nostrils by neutralizing the up-moving and down-moving air within the body. By practice of such yoga one is able to gain control over the senses, refrain from outward sense objects, and thus prepare oneself for liberation in the Supreme.---BG 5:27-28 purport

Mystic siddhis can be attained by practicing astanga yoga, but Srila Prabhupada discourages this in the following purport:

The yogi should not think, "Now I will try to achieve some wonderful powers." Sometimes yogis do attain certain siddhis, or powers, but these are not the purpose of yoga, and real yogis do not exhibit them. The real yogi thinks, "I am now contaminated by this material atmosphere, so now I must purify myself."

A lot of it is likely just utilizing features of reality that the common man cannot see ... like higher dimensions, etc. Certainly Krsna has mystical powers and yet for Him such 'power' just is. Just is His nature. For He Just Is.

Glad that Just Are,

So I can just be.

gHari

Guest guest

Yeah when I watch Tv, i think how it work, I think I know. It broadbasts. Anyway the reason I asked is because I want a machine invented (for my own personal use of course), so I can transport to Vraj. (in India).

Everything is floating in consciousness, including us. If we can become suficiently purified Lord Krsna may mysticly surround you in Vraja Mandal wherever you are physically.

Only by the grace of guru and Gauranga can we actually go to Vrndavan proper, it's a very mystical place.

But if you want to travel to the earthly equivalent of Braja dham then it will probably be a lot cheaper to purchase an airline ticket, probably have to tolerate a bit of discomfort sharing the ride, and it won't land directly in the dham, but you can get a long noisy machine that runs on rails to Mathura, just be careful of the pickpockets. Happy landing or inventing whatever the case may be!