IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Can we meet our beloved ones?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am wondering whether we can meet our beloved ones after death. Is such a thing possible? I have lost a most beloved soul and I am wondering whether I will ever see him after my death. Being a spiritual person, I am still unsure about what exactly happens after death. I cant bring myself to believe that I will never see the person I loved for so many years. At least,if there is some hope of meeting them after my death,then i could live with joy and happiness and there is no reason for sorrow then as one day or the other you are going to be reunited with your loved ones.

Have any of you lost a loved one and has any of you seen your loved ones in dreams? . Is it possible to communicate with our loved ones through seances?

Or do only restless and evil souls communicate with us during a seance?

I am so upset that sometimes I think even suicide is a good way out to see ones loved ones? By suicide I mean suicide sanctioned by religion like fast unto death. sacrificing one's body near a temple by performing "Angapradakshanam" etc

Guest guest

I believe you are not interested in philosophical answers but need to hear about genuine experiences.

I've read in Yogananda's book (I think it was Divine Romance) about meeting with our beloved ones after death. According to him, in some cases it is possible to contact departed ones. He met his mother long after her death, and his guru in flesh after he has departed. He mentioned case of one indian man who was so attached to his wife that he was unable to continue with living after her departure.

He went to Himalayas to a powerful yogi who arranged their meeting. She appeared before him and they talked for a while and she gave him some spiritual advice about developing vairagya. She told him to stop yearning after her and direct his love toward God instead because she is much better now then she was before, and he is the one that needs help and he should be meditating on God not on her. According to Yogananda this is true event that took place not so long ago.

Trying to contact your beloved through the medium during seanse is nod adviced beacause mediums in most cases communicate with lower spirits that pretend to be somebody else. They are very deceitful and knowledgable and could easily trick you into believeing that you are talking to your beloved one.

Guest guest

Be very careful of seances. I don't trust them. You may see visions of loved ones there, but these may be induced by negative spirits.

Please don't consider suicide. I'm not aware that any suicide is sanctioned, even fasting until death. If you're in a ghost body for 100 years (the karma for suicide) you may miss out on meeting your loved one in the next life.

You may very well meet your loved one again in another life, especially if there are unfinished karmic connections. If you lost a husband or wife, he or she may be your father or mother in the next (or another) life. The relationship may not be quite the same as it was in this life. We can't force the issue by artificial means.

Pray for your departed loved one. Pray that he/she will be blessed by the association of devotees and make further progress on the path back home. This will help take the focus off of you (and your loss), alleviating the pain, while simultaneously benefitting your loved one due to your compassionate prayers. Perhaps you can also have a shraddha ceremony done on his behalf. Allow his soul to soar. Set him free. This will also set you free. Then, when you meet again, it very well may be in a much nicer place.

I hope this helps some. I know that the loss of a loved one can be quite devastating. It is a test, and a tough one at that.

Guest guest

If you're in a ghost body for 100 years (the karma for suicide) you may miss out on meeting your loved one in the next life.

yes, suicide victims can get caught in Pretaloka (astral ghost realm). Question for you though, where did you read the 100 earth years number?

Trying to contact your beloved through the medium during seanse is nod adviced beacause mediums in most cases communicate with lower spirits that pretend to be somebody else. They are very deceitful and knowledgable and could easily trick you into believeing that you are talking to your beloved one.

<!-- / message -->I heard that they may not do this do deceive in a nasty way, but to be kind to those who are left behind.

whatever it is,it still makes a false promise to the ones still here and will prevent them from hearing proper philosophy. According to what I understand all those who passed away, all have different destinations according to their karma.

Sometimes they may stay, sometimes not. It also depends how they died, if self inflicted or natural or by accident and so on, but there is no one rule that applies to everyone.

I know that a lot of people like to believe that after death they all come together again, families, boyfriend and girlfriend, their dogs and other pets and them and so on, but according to the Vedas that is an imagination, because everyones destiny is different according to ones individual karma.

Its the spiritualist church who likes to spread this type of idea that we will all be one happy family after death, but it has no scriptural base in the bible and I believe it is born out of compassion for not knowing what to say to those who are left behind, to heal their feelings and to raise their hopes, as well as giving them a feeling of " he or she is still with me, right now in this room"

In their grief people like to see it that way and somehow they are not entirely wrong, because the soul never ever dies and from that point of view no one has ever died yet, only the physical body dies, the soul, "we" will never die and as such whoever has died, even millions of years ago, is still present somewhere, but not necessarily unseen in our direct presence in another dimension.

They might have been born again already or are waiting in an interim place to be called up or are in some new mothers body waiting to be born again somewhere else.

One who remembers Krishna at the time of death will never have to be born again in any of these worlds.

If a person has become a devotee of the Lord, many members of His family, past and present and future all benefit

Guest guest

yes, suicide victims can get caught in Pretaloka (astral ghost realm). Question for you though, where did you read the 100 earth years number?

I couldn't find a quote, unfortunately. It may have been one of those "Prabhupada said" quotes that he may or may not have ever said. Not sure. As far as "earthly years", it could be that for the ghost, it feels like 100 years, but isn't necessarily 100 years in the earthly sense. I also read in one of Srila Sridhara Maharaja's books that for a devotee (staunch devotee, I believe) that this "100 year" number is greatly reduced.

There is also the issue where after the ghostly existence is finished, one may have to return and finish up the life that he/she cut short due to the suicide. At any rate, suicide is a no-win situation.

Have any of you lost a loved one and has any of you seen your loved ones in dreams? . Is it possible to communicate with our loved ones through seances?

I am so upset that sometimes I think even suicide is a good way out to see ones loved ones? By suicide I mean suicide sanctioned by religion like fast unto death. sacrificing one's body near a temple by performing "Angapradakshanam" etc

I was with my aunt in the last days before her death from lung cancer and was with her when she past. She was 77. Three days later she came to visit me. I was able to get a partial visual of her although it was quite vauge.

Her form was now of that a radiant and beautiful young woman. Always of few words she said nothing but she had a very big smile that I could tell was one of barely contained pure joy. She was effulgent.

My sense was Krsna had bestowed upon her some special mercy. In the last few days as she lay silently dying I played continous kirtan tapes and she passed as verses from the CC were being played. BTW she was agonostic but Krsna bestows His grace as He sees fit.

Also as I was with her in her home on the precding days to her passing I was aware of my uncle, her brother, coming to visit her. He had passed some years previously.

I also have only the slightest clue as to what transpires when the soul makes it final exit from the physical form. One thing we should remember is that we recognized them as their physical body. But that body has been left behind by them as they left in their subtle form. Now that subtle or astral form will coincide with the look of their physical body simply by the force of that being the way they saw and thought of themselves at first but is capable of rapid transformation. It seems prevelant that when they appear before those they left behind on earth that they cloth themselves once again as we think of them so that we can recognize them.

But there is a bigger issue also we should deal with. We see our departed family members as our beloved to the exclusion of the rest of the eternal family, even to the exclusion of Krsna Himself, our true Father/Mother. And we due this on the basis of false identification with bodies and our land of birth etc. We need to go deeper here.

While I believe it true that we reincarnate for awhile with certain souls we have met while on the material side even that is always changing as souls develop other attractions from our own and drift of in different life directions. And also newer people gradually join our circle for a while taking their place.

Where is my mother and father from ten births ago, my children who I considered my all in all? Well they are busy traveling their own paths. I have read that often the newly departed are held earth bound by seeing our distress over their passing. Painful as it may be we have to be willing to allow them to travel freely to the next stage instead of clinging on so tightly that they cannot leave. Sometimes love means we must learn to let go. Your committing suicide to try and be with the loved one may cause them so much anxiety that they can't leave and progress as they hover and try to help us from whatever state we attain from our suicide in an effort to remain to them.

Please give up thoughts of suicide, chant Hare Krsna and wish your beloved Godspeed in their own journey back to love of God.

But aren't the departed reincarnated in another body whether human or animal on this planet or another? Was it the body you loved or the soul? If it was the soul and if they too had a deep attachment to you, then likely it has been arranged that they can remain around you somehow. That is, they say we get a body that matches our desires at the time of death.

Go to the Kingdom of God in this life, and they can too. There you can associate forever. There is a nice discussion of this in this movie presentation here in the forums: http://www.indiadivine.org/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=4

I hope you can find some comfort there.

Guest guest

I am wondering whether we can meet our beloved ones after death.... I cant bring myself to believe that I will never see the person I loved for so many years.

As gHari wisely asked, did you love that individual's body, or do you love his soul?

His body is gone. Flesh, bone, mucus and stool while it was alive, and worm food now that the soul has left his body. You will never see that body again. Bas. If you are attached to that body, you will never attain the Kingdom of God, yet you will never see that body ever again. You will be stuck on the wheel of rebirth until you lose your attachment for the body.

However, if you love this individual's soul -- his real self, his eternal identity -- you certainly can and will be together in the spiritual world, where both of you will take on "new" forms, actually your eternal and original forms, as servants of God. You may or may not be serving "together" in God's pastimes, but you will both be united in a bond of loving service to God. If you love an individual, you want what is best for that individual, and you do not want to selfishly exploit the individual. You do not want to take service from the individual; you want that individual to serve God instead of serving you.

Becoming a pure and liberated devotee will also result in the liberation of your close associates. If you loved the soul of this dear one who has died, then when you are granted entrance into God's abode, the Lord will also have taken steps to arrange for your dear one to enter as well. You will not "recognize" your loved one, as in God's abode there is no memory of this temporary realm, but you will be serving God in the company of your beloved, in that land where all is love.

Does this help? I hope so.

Guest guest

You will not "recognize" your loved one, as in God's abode there is no memory of this temporary realm, but you will be serving God in the company of your beloved, in that land where all is love.

don't spread this lie.. people in Vaikuntha do know each other and do realize they have been liberated from Maya. Vaikuntha is not a place where we are robots with amnesia. It's a place of reunion with our soul brothers from so many lifetimes, and devotional service to God, eternally thanking him for rescuing us from Maya.

Guest guest

don't spread this lie.. people in Vaikuntha do know each other and do realize they have been liberated from Maya. Vaikuntha is not a place where we are robots with amnesia. It's a place of reunion with our soul brothers from so many lifetimes, and devotional service to God, eternally thanking him for rescuing us from Maya.

Look at Narada Muni for example; he clearly is aware of this Mayic realm.. all the nityamuktis are enlightened and know about Maya and those who were liberated remember their past - though they would not dwell on it.

To think God bangs us over the head and causes us to forget everything, would take aware part of the joys we'd experience in returning to Vaikuntha, and erase the lessons and experiences we learned from in the Prodigal's son journey in the far country.

Look at Narada Muni for example; he clearly is aware of this Mayic realm.. all the nityamuktis are enlightened and know about Maya and those who were liberated remember their past - though they would not dwell on it.

To think God bangs us over the head and causes us to forget everything, would take aware part of the joys we'd experience in returning to Vaikuntha, and erase the lessons and experiences we learned from in the Prodigal's son journey in the far country.

This suggests that the appreciation of light depends on the past experience of darkness. That may have some validity in the material world of duality but I don't believe it would hold true in the Absolute world where everyone is immersed in the appreciation of the beauty of Krsna' form.

It also suggests that in the liberated stage of Krsna consciousness one would still be reflecting on his past need to be liberated and that this self serving thinking could take place in the land of pure and total dedication to Krsna's service.

Guest guest

This suggests that the appreciation of light depends on the past experience of darkness. That may have some validity in the material world of duality but I don't believe it would hold true in the Absolute world where everyone is immersed in the appreciation of the beauty of Krsna' form.

It also suggests that in the liberated stage of Krsna consciousness one would still be reflecting on his past need to be liberated and that this self serving thinking could take place in the land of pure and total dedication to Krsna's service.

Guest guest

If a person is Sattvic and an ardent devotee of Lord Krishna will he be born again? What is the use of being born again in this world which is increasingly being filled with Tamas?

Also why cant i give up this body if i have no material desires. To me money is just something you need to ensure that you have the basic neccesities of life ,then why should i continue living ?? What for??? I am a spiritualist and I dont feel the need to continue any longer in this material world. Then what is the way out ? Suicide??? Is giving up your body to search for Krishna and your beloved ones a sin?? Is it suicide???

Guest guest

It means those in the Father's House, are aware they are redeemed beings. It has nothing to do with dwelling on the past. The Prodigal is overjoyed to return. Enlightenment does not mean we have no knowledge of past lives, infact it means the complete opposite.

You think all this experience in this realm is for nothing? all our past lives, and loved ones will be totally erased from our memory, and we will be in Vaikuntha without even having knowledge we ever liberated?

I am wondering whether we can meet our beloved ones after death. Is such a thing possible? I have lost a most beloved soul and I am wondering whether I will ever see him after my death. Being a spiritual person, I am still unsure about what exactly happens after death. I cant bring myself to believe that I will never see the person I loved for so many years. At least,if there is some hope of meeting them after my death,then i could live with joy and happiness and there is no reason for sorrow then as one day or the other you are going to be reunited with your loved ones.

I heard this person called 'Shantu' on a radio show 7 years ago, he talked with people who died and said after we do, we see them again. Heaven? 'The Spirit' World'. 'The other side'. Personally I don't want to see anyone except Krishna.

Guest guest

I want to see my parents, and don't want to never be able to see them again. I love them. :( How is wrong to love other people? relationships are precious, and why would they cease to be precious to us when we cross to the Other Side. It's not like we will then become emotionaless zombies, who don't care about anyone.

The relationships we forged and memories we shared together, will only increase and be further solidified when we meet on the Golden Shore. This is what I believe, and many books on the afterlife and near-death experiences confirm.

Guest guest

Krishna told Arjuna he remembered ALL his past lives, but Arjuna had forgotten them. We are all individuals with a personal history. Only Mayavidis think we lose our conscious awareness of our personal identity and history.

When we reach Vaikuntha we have ETERNAL Full consicous awareness, that is what Sat-Chit-Ananda means. We will not focus on the past, but certainly will have access to such knowledge. Vaikuntha is not a realm of limited consciousness; it is a realm of enlightened consciousness, where like Krishna we are aware of the past and future, but bask in the ETERNAL TIMELESS NOW.

Srimad Bhagavatam 10.5.25

naikatra priya-samvasah

suhrdam citra-karmanam

oghena vyuhyamananam

plavanam srotaso yatha

TRANSLATION

Many planks and sticks, unable to stay together, are carried away by the force of a river's waves. Similarly, although we are intimately related with friends and family members, we are unable to stay together because of our varied past deeds and the waves of time.

PURPORT

Vasudeva was lamenting because he and Nanda Maharaja could not live together. Yet how could they live together? Vasudeva warns that all of us, even if intimately related, are carried away by the waves of time according to the results of past karma.

http://vedabase.net/sb/10/5/25/en

Guest guest

I want to see my parents, and don't want to never be able to see them again. I love them. :( How is wrong to love other people? relationships are precious, and why would they cease to be precious to us when we cross to the Other Side. It's not like we will then become emotionaless zombies, who don't care about anyone.

Hi I am the original poster and I can fully appreciate the needs and aspirations of people who want to meet their loved ones. Both my parents suffered a lot

My mum is suffering for the past 16 years and Dad was suffering for the past 8 years .He passed away a week back .I am very happy that I have been blessed

with the best parents ,however all of us have suffered a lot.

I sincerely hope that we meet on the other side forever,the logic being that Sattvic souls can never reincarnate in todays highlt Tamasic world

Guest guest

In the Vedic religion, we speak about departed souls going to the Pitraloka, the realm of the anscestors. So we do speak about being reunited even within the temporal celestial abodes, even more so in the eternal abodes. The Vaikuntha is an eternal abode, so it's a place of reuniting, where we will never be separated again. To think that we won't know each other is foolish. Vaikuntha is not a place of ignorance, where we have no clue who we are, all our memory is zapped away, and we just sit and worship God on a throne 24 hours a day. It is a place of relationship with our Beloved God and beloved brothers and sisters.

Not even the Christians believe people will float on clouds, singing praises and playing harps, all day long in their "heaven". They believe we will be doing activities, and engaging in feasts and celebrations with each other and God. Infact, Jesus said in the Bible, his disciples will eat and drink with him in the Kingdom of God. This shows they will be reunited in RELATIONSHIP.

Guest guest

all our past lives, and loved ones will be totally erased from our memory, and we will be in Vaikuntha without even having knowledge we ever liberated?

Vaishnavas are not interested in moksha (liberation.) Only in bhakti. They are willing to serve Krsna anywhere and everywhere, even in Hell. Liberation from material miseries is not an issue for a pure Vaishnava. Not only is he oblivious to this material world (and liberation) but once situated in his eternal rasa, he even forgets that Krsna is God, due to the influence of Yoga Maya.

Guest guest

Vaishnavas are not interested in moksha (liberation.) Only in bhakti. They are willing to serve Krsna anywhere and everywhere, even in Hell. Liberation from material miseries is not an issue for a pure Vaishnava. Not only is he oblivious to this material world (and liberation) but once situated in his eternal rasa, he even forgets that Krsna is God, due to the influence of Yoga Maya.

Moksha means liberation from suffering, death and rebirth, which is certainly one goal of all forms of Yoga, not just Jnana-Yoga, Jainism and Buddhism. Moksha does not rule out Bhakti, unless all you care about is Moksha, and have no care for God. Obviously an entrance to a Personal Abode of God, where they have his darshan for eternity, is the goal of Bhakti Yogis.

Saivite Bhaktas seek to go to Shivaloka with Lord Shiva, Devi Bhaktas seek to go to the Jewelled-Island of the Devi, and Gaudiya Bhaktas to Goloka. No Bhaktas desire to be reincarnated and stay on the wheel of Samsara. Even Prabhupada called his magazine "Back Home to Godhead." Had he called it, "get Bhakti, even if it means you go to Hell", the Hare Krishna religion would never have gathered any momentum.

Actually, no Vedic sects believe in hell, except the Madhva-sect. Hell is an old English word for a place of eternal damnation. Hindus believe in Purgatories, not Hell. The Narakaloka regions are not a place of eternal damnation, but a place of purging, that exist in the lower astral plane, corresponding to our lower chakras below Muladhara.

You think all this experience in this realm is for nothing? all our past lives, and loved ones will be totally erased from our memory, and we will be in Vaikuntha without even having knowledge we ever liberated?

Already all our memories are beung ersaed. Do you remeber all the details of this life even what to speak of the last one what to spek of the one 700 back.

You think you will be in Vaikuntha thinking back to when you were an insect on the ground and some bird dropping landed on you killing you, and how lucky you are now to be in the eternal atmoshere so something like that can't happen again?

Beside the fact that there is no time in the spiritual world so how is it know you are thinking of some past bad experiences in the material world?

We can agree to disagree, OK?

Guest guest

We may remember all our lives as insects and laugh at how silly we were to have fallen into such a mess. This realm of Maya will only be looked at as a bad dream, then. :)

But I do believe we will have memories, but they will not necessarily be as we conceive of them now. More like a panorama or accessing them from a transcendental citta-computer.

People report in Near-death experiences, that when they were out of their body, standing before Light Beings, their mind suddenly had access to unlimited knowledge, and they were able to view all their past lives and understand why certain things have happened to them. It is only when they came back down into their physical bodies, these memories were erased from clear view. But in their spiritual body, they have a transcendental mind, better than any super-computer.

In truth, we will probably be able to not only remember all the past lives of our soul being, but also everyone :) There is a quote in the Bible, that in the spiritual world we know even as we are known. And Jesus speaks of being reunited with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the Kingdom of God and enjoying with them in fellowship and spiritual reunion.