IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Need a slogan in Sanskrit glorifying knowledge

Rate this topic

Hi,

Could you suggest some slogans in Sanskrit glorifying knowledge? To clarify what I need, one very common slogan for glorifying truth is "satyameva jayate". I want some slogan to glorify knowledge.

Hi,

Could you suggest some slogans in Sanskrit glorifying knowledge? To clarify what I need, one very common slogan for glorifying truth is "satyameva jayate". I want some slogan to glorify knowledge.

i'm no sanskrit scholar but... how about something from the jnana yoga part of the Gita?

Bhagavad-gita 18.74

<center>
saJjaya uvAca

ity ahaM vAsudevasya

pArthasya ca mahAtmanaH

saMvAdam imam azrauSam

adbhutaM roma-harSaNam

</center>

saJjayaH uvAca--SaJjaya said; iti--thus; aham--I; vAsudevasya--of KRSNa; pArthasya--and Arjuna; ca--also; mahA-AtmanaH--of the great soul; saMvAdam--discussion; imam--this; azrauSam--have heard; adbhutam--wonderful; roma-harSaNam--making the hair stand on end.

SaJjaya said: Thus have I heard the conversation of two great souls, KRSNa and Arjuna. And so wonderful is that message that my hair is standing on end.

Or maybe this one has something short and memorable - Bhagavad-gita 18.70:

<center>
adhyeSyate ca ya imaM

dharmyaM saMvAdam AvayoH

jJAna-yajJena tenAham

iSTaH syAm
iti me matiH

</center>

adhyeSyate--will study; ca--also; yaH--he who; imam--this; dharmyam--sacred; saMvAdam--conversation; AvayoH--of ours; jJAna--of knowledge; yajJena--by the sacrifice; tena--by him; aham--I; iSTaH--worshiped; syAm--shall be; iti--thus; me--My; matiH--opinion.

And I declare that he who studies this sacred conversation of ours worships Me by his intelligence.

So wonderrfully connected with both the source and the object of knowledge; iti me matih:

<center>
<h1>
jJAna-yajJena tenAham iSTaH syAm
</h1>

</center>

The verses given here refer to knowledge of Self or of worshipping Lord Krsna. But can I get some shloka which glorifies knowledge in general and not specific kind of knowledge? I need shloka to glorify knowledge or intelligence or wisdom.

The verses given here refer to knowledge of Self or of worshipping Lord Krsna. But can I get some shloka which glorifies knowledge in general and not specific kind of knowledge? I need shloka to glorify knowledge or intelligence or wisdom.

I think those three are very different from each other. Knowledge of mundane things isn't something I think the Vedas were shooting for. I don't know much, nor am I claiming to know much, but I think a way to realize the Self was to "deprogram" what you think you already know about mundane reality. So that kind of knowledge isn't real knowledge nor is it desirable knowledge. Similarly the ego-intelligence isn't desirable, but the atmic intelligence or the buddhi is, along with wisdom. I don't have any quotes to offer though.

It is fine even if the context is of spiritual knowledge. But the motto should glorify knowledge/wisdom in general.

By searching on Net, I found "buddhih sarvatra bhrajate". Any idea what is the source of this?

I and some others have formed a group. We are doing whatever little bit we can towards education of some poor children. Example:- Distributing them books, going to their places and teaching them. We want some motto for this.

Hare Krishna

All Glories to Srila Prabhupad

This is the sloka From Bhagavad Gita As It Is

There could not be more than this i think

Chapter 9. The Most Confidential Knowledge

TEXT 2

raja-vidya raja-guhyam

pavitram idam uttamam

pratyaksavagamam dharmyam

su-sukham kartum avyayam

SYNONYMS

raja-vidya--the king of education; raja-guhyam--the king of confidential knowledge; pavitram--the purest; idam--this; uttamam--transcendental; pratyaksa--directly experienced; avagamam--understood; dharmyam--the principle of religion; su-sukham--very happy; kartum--to execute; avyayam--everlasting.

TRANSLATION

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Saviour of the whole world Srila Prabhupad Ki- Jay

Hare Krishna

SvetAzvatara UpaniSad 6.23

[cited: SrImad-BhAgavatam 7.7.17]

oM ajJAna-timirAndhasya

jJAnAJjana-zalAkayA

cakSur unmIlitaM yena

tasmai zrI-gurave namaH

‘‘I offer my respectful obeisances unto my spiritual master, who, with the torchlight of knowledge has opened my eyes, which were blinded by the darkness of ignorance."

So this life is meant for brahma-jijJAsA. This life, this human life, is meant for brahma-jijJAsA. Other jijJAsA, inquiries, that is in the cats and dogs and hogs and crows and everywhere. So don't be bothering. "If I don't bother, then how shall I eat?" No, that people generally says, that "Everyone becomes KRSNa conscious, how we shall eat? How things will go on?" Now, we are KRSNa conscious, practical example. Are we not eating? Are we not sleeping? What business is stopped? We have no business; we simply beg. There is no certainty that "Tomorrow I shall go there. I'll get this money." There is no certainty. We do not know. We are eating in the morning. We do not know whether there will be food in the evening. If KRSNa gives, then we can eat. You know it very well. We have no business. We are not professional men. We are not going to the market for what is bao.(?) Ke bao haya?(?) So are you not eating? We are eating. Not only eating, we have got hundred and two branches, and every branch there are at least one hundred men. They're all eating. Why? Because we know, "KRSNa will give us. KRSNa giving food to the ants, to the elephant. Why not to His servant? We have no..." If you have got this confidence, then... The zAstra says, tasyaiva hetoH prayateta kovidaH. You should simply try for perfection of life, brahma-jijJAsA. AthAto brahma jijJAsA. JanmAdy asya yataH [sB 1.1.1]. This is the only... JIvasya tattva-jijJAsA. This is the only business. "What I am?" The answer is ahaM brahmAsmi, so 'ham, "I am same, Brahman.So then, what is my relation with the Parabrahman?" JijJAsuH zreya uttamam.

Now, when there is question of jijJAsA, brahma-jijJAsA, then we inquire from a person who knows. Therefore it is said that tasmAd guruM prapadyeta jijJAsuH zreya uttamam: [sB 11.3.21] "If you are actually interested in inquiring about Brahman, then you must go to guru who knows Brahman." TasmAd guruM prapadyeta. You cannot understand Brahman realization alone. Therefore, according to VaiSNava philosophy, Adau gurvAzrayam. The first business is to take shelter of a bona fide spiritual master. If you want... Not only brahma-jijJAsA--any. You must go to the perfect person who knows things. If you wandering on some street you do not know, you ask somebody, "Where shall I go? In this way or that way?" So this is natural. So about Brahman, jijJAsuH... Brahma-jijJAsA means... That is not ordinary jijJAsA. It is called uttamam. Uttamam means transcendental to this material world, which is full of darkness, ignorance. That is called ut. Ud-gata tama yasmAd iti uttama. There is no more darkness, simply light. If you, at night, you inquire about something, then it is very difficult. But if you go in the daytime... And at night if you got up on your roof and want to see where is Bombay or where is Santa Cruz, it is very difficult. But daytime, you can see. Similarly, uttamam. You must go out of this darkness, come to the light, and then you will see.

<B>So that light is given by guru. AjJAna-timirAndhasya jJAnAJjana-zalAkayA. That light is given not by bringing one torchlight, but jJAnAJjana-zalAkayA, the light of knowledge. The light of... JJAnAJjana-zalAkayA. CakSur unmIlitaM yena tasmai zrI-gurave namaH. Guru's business is to give you light by knowledge. Then you understand. TasmAd guruM prapadyeta jijJAsuH zreya uttamam [sB 11.3.21]. How the jJAna, knowledge, light is given? SAbde pare ca niSNAtaM brahmaNy upazamAzrayam. This is the guru's system, guru's symptom, what is guru. SAbde pare ca niSNAtam. He has completely assimilated the Vedic essence of life. That is called guru. And what is zabda? SAstra, or Vedas. Sruti-zAstra. Sruti means Veda, knowledge. Veda means knowledge. Or knowledge is received through ear, by hearing. That is real knowledge. Not by experimental knowledge. You cannot understand which is beyond your sense perception by experiment. Just like you cannot understand who is your father by experimental knowledge: "Let me make experiment and find out who is my father." That is not possible. Because it is beyond your experience. Your father was existing when you were not existing. Then how you can understand by experimental knowledge? The authority is mother. Therefore Vedic knowledge is the mother; the PurANas are the sisters. They are explained like that. You should understand from the Vedas what is the ultimate knowledge. And KRSNa says, vedaiz ca sarvair aham eva vedyaH: [bg. 15.15] the ultimate knowable objective is KRSNa.

</b>

So simply by understanding KRSNa... Kasmin tu bhagavo vijJAte sarvam idaM vijJAtaM bhavati. If you can simply understand KRSNa, then you understand everything. You haven't got to understand separately KRSNa's enlightenment. TeSAm aham... What is that verse? SamuddhartA. KRSNa says in the Bhagavad-gItA,

teSAm evAnukampArtham

aham ajJAna-jaM tamaH

nAzayAmy Atma-bhAva-stho

jJAna-dIpena bhAsvatA

[bg. 10.11]

If you actually come in contact with KRSNa, and KRSNa is within your heart... KRSNa is not far away. KRSNa is everywhere. But He's still nearer. He is within your heart. IzvaraH sarva... So if you become attached to KRSNa... When KRSNa sees now you are attached to KRSNa, then hRdy antaH-stho hy abhadrANi vidhunoti suhRt satAm. He is friend of the devotees. He's friend of everyone, but a special friend of the devotees. SuhRt satAm. Therefore you have to become a devotee. Therefore it is said, na yujyamAnayA bhaktyA. BhaktyA means devotee. Who, who performs devotional service unless he's a devotee? KRSNa says in the Bhagavad-gItA, bhaktyA mAm abhijAnAti [bg. 18.55]. So if we become devotee, if we take to devotional service, then KRSNa says, teSAm evAnukampArtham [bg. 10.11], for special favor. Special favor. What is that? TeSAm evAnukampArtham aham ajJAna-jaM tamaH nAzayAmi. KRSNa says, "I kill all kinds of ignorance."

So simply this qualification required, that you become perfect devotee of KRSNa. Then you perfectly become jJAnI. JJAna is there. Simply it is covered by the curtain of ignorance. Just like in darkness. Everything is there. The light is there, everything is there. But as soon as it is dark, we cannot see where the things are there. So KRSNa says that anyone can understand Himself, anyone can understand KRSNa and the relationship, provided the darkness of ignorance is taken away. That is required. That is done by KRSNa personally. For whom? TeSAm evAnukampArtham [bg. 10.11]. TeSAM satata-yuktAnAM bhajatAM prIti-pUrvakam. Those who are engaged twenty-four hours with love and faith in devotional service. TeSAM satata-yuktAnAM bhajatAM prIti-pUrvakam, dadAmi buddhi-yogaM tam. The buddhi-yogam. He directs, "Do like this, do like that." Then... What for buddhi? Yena mAm upayAnti te. Then, gradually, you come to KRSNa, back to home, back to Godhead. Therefore it is recommended here, na yujyamAnayA bhaktyA bhagavaty akhilAtmani, sadRzo 'sti zivaH panthA. Siva means auspicious. Siva means auspiciousness. So if you actually interested for self-realization, if you want to become perfect in this life, zivaH panthA, the most auspicious, most perfect panthA is... What is that? Now, bhaktyA bhagavati. You just become a devotee and engage yourself in devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Not the so-called rascal BhagavAn, but bhagavaty akhilAtman. One, the..., that BhagavAn who is present everywhere. That BhagavAn. Not this false bhagavAn. AkhilAtmani. These are the shastric injunction. So that BhagavAn... "I don't find that BhagavAn." No. That BhagavAn is within your heart. IzvaraH sarva-bhUtAnAm [bg. 18.61]. That is real BhagavAn. So as soon... Tene brahma hRdA Adi-kavaye. That BhagavAn is always acting. He instructed BrahmA. BrahmA, the lord of the universe, he got instruction from KRSNa, and he created the whole universe, and what to speak of you? He'll also give instruction to you, provided you take to the devotional service, bhaktyA. BhaktyA mAm abhijAnAti [bg. 18.55].

Thank you very much. (end)

In Bhagavad Gita (4.38), Lord Krishna says,

na hi jnanena sadrisham

pavitram iha vidyate

tat svayam yoga-samsiddhah

kalenatmani vindati

"In this world, there is nothing so sublime and pure as transcendental knowledge. Such knowledge is the mature fruit of all mysticism. And one who has become accomplished in the practice of devotional service enjoys this knowledge within himself in due course of time."

CORRECTION: in an earlier post, the reference was wrong. it should have read:

GautamIya-tantra

[Cited: SrImad-BhAgavatam 8.1.11]

oM ajJAna-timirAndhasya

jJAnAJjana-zalAkayA

cakSur unmIlitaM yena

tasmai zrI-gurave namaH

‘‘I offer my respectful obeisances unto my spiritual master, who, with the torchlight of knowledge has opened my eyes, which were blinded by the darkness of ignorance."