shuvo

What is the meaning.........?

Rate this topic

In Bhagavad-gita 9.17, God tells Arjuna that He is OM:

pitAham asya jagato

mAtA dhAtA pitAmahaH

vedyaM pavitram oMkAra

Rk sAma yajur eva ca

pitA--father; aham--I; asya--of this; jagataH--universe; mAtA--mother; dhAtA--supporter; pitAmahaH--grandfather; vedyam--what is to be known; pavitram--that which purifies; oM-kAra--the syllable oM; Rk--the Rg Veda; sAma--the SAma Veda; yajuH--the Yajur Veda; eva--certainly; ca--and.

I am the father of this universe, the mother, the support and the grandsire. I am the object of knowledge, the purifier and the syllable oM. I am also the Rg, the SAma and the Yajur Vedas.

PURPORT

The entire cosmic manifestations, moving and nonmoving, are manifested by different activities of KRSNa's energy. In the material existence we create different relationships with different living entities who are nothing but KRSNa's marginal energy; under the creation of prakRti some of them appear as our father, mother, grandfather, creator, etc., but actually they are parts and parcels of KRSNa. As such, these living entities who appear to be our father, mother, etc., are nothing but KRSNa. In this verse the word dhAtA means "creator." Not only are our father and mother parts and parcels of KRSNa, but the creator, grandmother and grandfather, etc., are also KRSNa. Actually any living entity, being part and parcel of KRSNa, is KRSNa. All the Vedas, therefore, aim only toward KRSNa. Whatever we want to know through the Vedas is but a progressive step toward understanding KRSNa. That subject matter which helps us purify our constitutional position is especially KRSNa. Similarly, the living entity who is inquisitive to understand all Vedic principles is also part and parcel of KRSNa and as such is also KRSNa. In all the Vedic mantras the word oM, called praNava, is a transcendental sound vibration and is also KRSNa. And because in all the hymns of the four Vedas--SAma, Yajur, Rg and Atharva--the praNava, or oMkAra, is very prominent, it is understood to be KRSNa.

MORE: http://vedabase.net/o/om

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

Yes,...But what does OM mean? That was my question!

Hare Krishna.........

The Lord has innumerable incarnations, and omkara is one of them. As Krsna states in Bhagavad-gita: "Amongst vibrations, I am the syllable om." (Bg. 9.17) This means that omkara is nondifferent from Krsna. Impersonalists, however, give more importance to omkara than to the Personality of Godhead, Krsna. The fact is, however, that any representational incarnation of the Supreme Lord is nondifferent from Him. Such an incarnation or representation is as good spiritually as the Supreme Lord. Omkara is therefore the ultimate representation of all the Vedas. Indeed, the Vedic mantras or hymns have transcendental value because they are prefixed by the syllable om. The Vaisnavas interpret omkara as follows: by the letter O, Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is indicated; by the letter U, Krsna's eternal consort Srimati Radharani is indicated; and by the letter M, the eternal servitor of the Supreme Lord, the living entity, is indicated. Sankara has not given such importance to the omkara. However, importance is given in the Vedas, the Ramayana, the Puranas and in the Mahabharata from beginning to end. Thus the glories of the Supreme Lord, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, are declared.

CH. 20 TEACHINGS OF LORD CAITANYA

HDGACBSP