IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Mike M

New member with a question

Rate this topic

Hello all.

I'm new to this site, and will shortly post an introduction but first I have a question.

As I am now dedicating time to renewed studying of the Hindu belief system and writings, etc. I'm trying to understand the place of the mantra below in regard to Hinduism:

Om Mani Padme Hum

and

Om Mani Padme Hum Hri

I have seen the above two written in Tibeten script, which suggests to me that it is a Buddhist mantra. How does this relate to Hindu beliefs, or where is its place within Hinduism, especially the Hri syllable?

I attched an image of the latter

Pardon my ignorance of these subjects, but I am doing my best to make sense of the history of Hinduism and Buddhism, reading the Upanishads, the Gita, etc. but it can get confusing.

I'm not new to this philosophy and way of life, but I'm just now getting a bit more focused on my studies of Hinduism - more about this in my introduction.

Thank you!

Hello all.

I'm new to this site, and will shortly post an introduction but first I have a question.

As I am now dedicating time to renewed studying of the Hindu belief system and writings, etc. I'm trying to understand the place of the mantra below in regard to Hinduism:

Om Mani Padme Hum

and

Om Mani Padme Hum Hri

I have seen the above two written in Tibeten script, which suggests to me that it is a Buddhist mantra. How does this relate to Hindu beliefs, or where is its place within Hinduism, especially the Hri syllable?

I attched an image of the latter

Pardon my ignorance of these subjects, but I am doing my best to make sense of the history of Hinduism and Buddhism, reading the Upanishads, the Gita, etc. but it can get confusing.

I'm not new to this philosophy and way of life, but I'm just now getting a bit more focused on my studies of Hinduism - more about this in my introduction.

Thank you!

First of all Budha even though considered to be an avatar of Lord Vishnu (9th) cannot be worshiped....as u already said u are not new to Hinduism...so...u must already know that Hinduism mainly focus on GOD REALIZATION..check out another post called "Jaya Shri Raam" for this context....budha cannot help in god realization and he abolish vedic rituals (it was predicted in the ved about him..also in Vishnu Puraan) and therefore cannot be hold as an.....u know...

checkout this site >>>> http://www.thetruehistoryandthetruereligionofindia.org

First of all Budha even though considered to be an avatar of Lord Vishnu (9th) cannot be worshiped....as u already said u are not new to Hinduism...so...u must already know that Hinduism mainly focus on GOD REALIZATION..check out another post called "Jaya Shri Raam" for this context....budha cannot help in god realization and he abolish vedic rituals (it was predicted in the ved about him..also in Vishnu Puraan) and therefore cannot be hold as an.....u know...

Thanks for the info, but I didn't mention worshipping Buddha, or anyone else, in my post.

I am wondering, why is it you say "...Buddha cannot help in God realization?"

It was my understanding, as it was explained to me by families from India whom I am friendly with as well as other writings, that one can be Christian, Buddhist, etc. AND follow Hindu beliefs because the object is to achieve enlightenment, which all of the above teachers seem to help with (I say "follow Hindu beliefs" because I realize that, as a Westerner, I cannot "become" a Hindu).

This is precisely why I was attracterd to Hinduism over 25 years ago, because it was different from the fundamentalist evangelical mindset of the Christian religions (only one way-the others are wrong-got to read this book alone and all others are false, etc.)

Perhaps it is a particular branch of Hinduism that holds these beliefs? I know there are a few, but I am just now learning the differences between them.

Thanks for the info, but I didn't mention worshipping Buddha, or anyone else, in my post.

I am wondering, why is it you say "...Buddha cannot help in God realization?"

It was my understanding, as it was explained to me by families from India whom I am friendly with as well as other writings, that one can be Christian, Buddhist, etc. AND follow Hindu beliefs because the object is to achieve enlightenment, which all of the above teachers seem to help with (I say "follow Hindu beliefs" because I realize that, as a Westerner, I cannot "become" a Hindu).

This is precisely why I was attracterd to Hinduism over 25 years ago, because it was different from the fundamentalist evangelical mindset of the Christian religions (only one way-the others are wrong-got to read this book alone and all others are false, etc.)

Perhaps it is a particular branch of Hinduism that holds these beliefs? I know there are a few, but I am just now learning the differences between them.

Wow! I ain't no "FUNDAMENTALIST"....man I am not even from any Vaishnava, Shaivik, Swaminarayan etc sects....I am human being blessed by Lord Shri Raam with the body of a "BRAHMIN"...I only studied literature wrote by Goswami Tulsidas in my teens and for the past years studying sanskrit literature....Man! u took my comment totally wrong....I am extremely sorry if I accidentaly hurt ur sentiments or of any communities...pls accept my apology first...

Second of all I am glad to know u r interested in Hinduism....u said noone can become a hindu....but the fact is we all are born hindu...there is no conversion in hinduism..societies that went away from the main stream of vedic culture formed the different societies of their own wits...so....for more detail on hinduism or sanatan dharma as we call it in India check the site "The True History & The True Religion of India" (the link is below my signature so pls click it)....

See the Mayavada post it will explain much about Buddha....Budhaa's teachings don't match that of the Ved..and thus how can he teach of God Realization when he himself puts down the law of the Universe that is the Ved...Ved is eternal..it has no begining and no end every creation makes it appear from Lord and again every Mahapralay submits itself to Lord...It should be the only guideline for a human being...listen some facts from a true "Guru" and u will understand...

Again extremely SORRY! if i hurt ur sentiments in way....:)

This is for the Admins....if I posted some insult against the member whose message I am quoting pls remove it...I didn't mean...not this one though...

Wow! I ain't no "FUNDAMENTALIST"....man I am not even from any Vaishnava, Shaivik, Swaminarayan etc sects....I am human being blessed by Lord Shri Raam with the body of a "BRAHMIN"...I only studied literature wrote by Goswami Tulsidas in my teens and for the past years studying sanskrit literature....Man! u took my comment totally wrong....I am extremely sorry if I accidentaly hurt ur sentiments or of any communities...pls accept my apology first...

Absolutely no need for apologies! I used that term as an expression of the resaon I study Hindu teachings - I was certainly not calling you a fundamentalist, and no feelings were hurt, etc. so please accept my apologies if my rambling post was less than clear. :o

Your post was very helpful and I ask these questions so that I may gain more understanding.

Absolutely no need for apologies! I used that term as an expression of the resaon I study Hindu teachings - I was certainly not calling you a fundamentalist, and no feelings were hurt, etc. so please accept my apologies if my rambling post was less than clear. :o

Your post was very helpful and I ask these questions so that I may gain more understanding.

Glad! to know that....its all right...u see I always think that I must have hurt someone in someway somewhere and get afraid.....mental :eek4: disbalancement I guess:) .....

Glad! to know I was able to help u....