IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Next Generation of Hindus

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Do younger Hindus know their religion? I have met some young Hindus who think our religion is polytheistic.

I was on another message board, and someone asked about Hinduism, for a scholarly paper, and a young Hindu responded to the question, saying Hindus believe in millions of gods. As if we do not believe in one Supreme Lord? Now this is a big misconception that NON-hindus have about us (that we are polytheists), but for a Hindu to spread this misconception there is no excuse.

Obviously some Hindu parents are not properly educating their children on their religion, like Muslim and Christian parents educate their kids on the basic beliefs of their religion.

Please if you have children, educate them on the most important thing, our eternal religion.

In fairness, I have seen some very bright Hindu youth, who do know their religion well. For example, most western Vedic converts, who have children, like those who follow the Gaudiya Vaishnava sect, educate their children very well in their faith, so they must be commended in this regard. But some young Hindus, are clueless, and to me, the parents must be blamed for not educating their children. Or maybe the parents are clueless as well. If so, they should not call themselves a follower of the Hindu religion.

I agree with you. If we do not take any steps now, I am sure very few hindus will be left after few generations (who actually know hinduism).

Many parents take this lightly and their religious teachings are limited to do daily pooja (in whatever way) and to learn few aartees. They do not teach basic principles of hinduism. This is because they themselves do not know much (and many don't care).

But I have a question, can we refer ONE good book or website, which parents can use to teach their children hinduism.

Guest guest

But I have a question, can we refer ONE good book or website, which parents can use to teach their children hinduism.

Here is a Hindu teaching site for kids

hindunet.org/kidsyouth/

This is a Hindu youth forum

devimandir.com/dmyouth_forum/index.php

This is a nice site for Vaishnava youth

youth.rupa.com/gdc

Guest guest

Yes, parents are to blame to an extent for not knowing much about Hinduism and not attempting to learn more. Alot of parents think Hinduism is just puja-rituals and some stories from the puranas and itihasa that they were told but have not read themselves. This is all they teach their kids who grow up thinking Hinduism is a backwards cultural tradition that is not relevant to life. Alot of these parents stress education and don't teach their kids about Hinduism but tell them to make more money. The media picks up on any misconceptions about Hinduism and promote it, they are not interested in teaching true Hinduism.

You can change things by acting now and teaching the younger generation of Hindus. The generation in their twenties and thirties is long gone and they may only learn about Hinduism if they develop an interest in it during this life. But many don't live a religious life and don't intend to.

But in the past few years (at least in the UK) there has been a greater interest in Hinduism especially among the youth. There have been Hindu youth seminars, lectures, classes and exams that provide Hindus with the right knowledge to understand and appreciate Hinduism.

Below are some websites that I've come across that concentrate on educating Hindu youths as well as those who know very little.

(Copy and paste url into a browser and add www followed by a . before pasting the url.)

vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk

hinduism.iskcon.com/index.htm

chinmayauk.org/home.htm

Guest guest

being a young 24 yo hindu kid, i consider myself part of that next generation, the lost generation, the one that knows very little about hinduism....especially, in the west

however, i cannot say that i know very little....my interest comes from intially reading the history of itl....

i think thats whats important first....the youth should know the history behind the different branches of hinduism, where they come from, the different gods, where they are worshipped, how and why and where that belief came from.

from that, the youth can take what they are ineterested in and expand on that, whether that be krishna or siva or vishnu or ayyappa...whichever...

but it is important to let people know the truth of how all these gods came ot be worshipped and why and what it all means.