IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

wearing Tulasi and rudraksha beads?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is it ok to wear both at the same time? Like wear a tulasi necklace and a rudraksha bracelet?

Guest guest

nothing wrong with that.........just curious, why are you asking?

-Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Well, I wanted to wear both to get the blessings of both. But I was wondering if this is normally done. I see Saivites with rudraksha beads and Vaishnavas with tulsi beads, but do they ever wear both?

One more question: is it proper to wear a japa mala around the neck? or do you need to buy a special necklace?

Guest guest

Does Tulsi mala have the same reverance as Rudraksha mala?

I don't think Hindus wear both, I;ve never seen that, you wear according to the sect you follow.

I've seen alot of Hindus who wear their japa-mala around neck and some wrap it around their wrists. I don't know if this is right or not but people just do it.

Guest guest

Does Tulsi mala have the same reverance as Rudraksha mala?

I don't think Hindus wear both, I;ve never seen that, you wear according to the sect you follow.

I've seen alot of Hindus who wear their japa-mala around neck and some wrap it around their wrists. I don't know if this is right or not but people just do it.

so Vaishnavas never wear rudraksha beads?

Guest guest

well, you have to ask yourself why do you want to wear the rudraksha beads. Many people where them for health and prosperity, but Is this what you are really looking for?

Lord Shiva is the greatest devotee of Krishna, so if you are worried about offending Lord Shiva by not wearing the rudraksha, then think again.

You can were either one or the other, or even both. Just chant and be happy.

-Hare Krishna

Guest guest

i ware tulsi kantha mala for showing im a devoute of God, to get protected by the Lord Srí Hari, and a rudraksha mala with 54 beads with a trishula on the end to show Shiva glory and honoring Him for giving me to Krsna after i was a shaivite for 5 years.. so both is ok.. Krsna and Shiva will be pleased in either u do

Guest guest

i ware tulsi kantha mala for showing im a devoute of God, to get protected by the Lord Srí Hari, and a rudraksha mala with 54 beads with a trishula on the end to show Shiva glory and honoring Him for giving me to Krsna after i was a shaivite for 5 years.. so both is ok.. Krsna and Shiva will be pleased in either u do

When everything belongs to one God Hari then where is the difference between Hari and Hara? Where is the difference between Tulshi and Rudraksha to please same God?

Where is Hara there is Hari. Where is Hari there is Hara and that is always Truth.

Guest guest

so Vaishnavas never wear rudraksha beads?

I've never come across any. Vaishnavas wear Tulsi, Shaivites wear Rudraksha and tha same goes for the japa-malas used for chanting. Rudrasksha-malas is used for Shaivite mantras and Tulsi for Vaishnava mantras.

In haribhakti vilasa there is a statement that one should wear pancha malas (tulasi, rudraksha, sandal, lotus and sphatika I believe). But I have yet to see any sadhu wear both tulasi and rudraksha at the same time. They always wear one or the other. I have seen vaishnava sadhus wearing rudraksha and shaivite tilak because they are initiated in a shaivite line (like Mahaprabhu taking sannyasa from mayavadis). But still they didnt mix the two malas. I am not away of any prohibition for it though. It seems to be a matter of custom. I have only seen people wearing panca mala during festivals, pujas etc.

I've never come across any. Vaishnavas wear Tulsi, Shaivites wear Rudraksha and tha same goes for the japa-malas used for chanting. Rudrasksha-malas is used for Shaivite mantras and Tulsi for Vaishnava mantras.

I heard that Prabhupada was asked if using rudraksha mala for chanting the maha-mantra was OK and the answer was that it is. And heard also that he used it. But it is a second-hand information and I wouldn't take that seriously unless there is a confirmation in his writings or from a direct witness.

Guest guest

I heard that Prabhupada was asked if using rudraksha mala for chanting the maha-mantra was OK and the answer was that it is. And heard also that he used it. But it is a second-hand information and I wouldn't take that seriously unless there is a confirmation in his writings or from a direct witness.

Strange, since a monk from Iskcon told me that Tulsi are only for Vaishnavas and Rudraksha are for Shaivites and they should never mix. Only a specific mantra given by the guru can be chanted on the Mala. For example the Hare Krishna manta is only to be chanted on the Tulsi japa-malas given by Iskcon not not even on other Tulsi malas from other vaishnava sects.

It would be interesting to know what malas Shakta's and Smartas (Adi Shankara's sect) use? Since Adi Shankara taught that only Brahman exists and all the gods are manifestations of Brahman in different forms. Do they use one universal japa-mala for all mantras or different japa-malas for different mantras? I think they use Rudraksha, but do they use this when chanting Vishnu and Devi's mantras too?

Strange, since a monk from Iskcon told me that Tulsi are only for Vaishnavas and Rudraksha are for Shaivites and they should never mix.

Yes, I find it strange too, that's why I'm not sure it is the truth.

Only a specific mantra given by the guru can be chanted on the Mala.

In that case only initiated disciples could chant while I believe that everyone is encouraged to chant even before/without initiation. There are also a lot of “specific” mantras that are not diksha mantras but sometimes chanted for some reason and for a certain period. So I do think that any mantra can be chanted on the mala, bt maybe not on any mala. But I’m not sure what is the ISKON (or Gaudya in general) opinion about this.

For example the Hare Krishna manta is only to be chanted on the Tulsi japa-malas given by Iskcon not not even on other Tulsi malas from other vaishnava sects.

Hmm that sounds a little sectarian to me. After all Prabhupada himself chanted on non ISKON malas (as all the Vaihnavas before ISKCON). So it might be something connected with internal Iskcon rules but I doubt it has any spiritual, traditional or scriptural explanation.

If there is such an rule it is probably a logical attempt to keep the money inside the organization. Iskon devotees make (I suppose), sell and buy the malas so it is a way to support their own organization.

It would be interesting to know what malas Shakta's and Smartas (Adi Shankara's sect) use? Since Adi Shankara taught that only Brahman exists and all the gods are manifestations of Brahman in different forms. Do they use one universal japa-mala for all mantras or different japa-malas for different mantras? I think they use Rudraksha, but do they use this when chanting Vishnu and Devi's mantras too?

Did he use malas at all? Not every sadhu/sannyasi/devotee uses it, more so those inclined to advaita Vedanta I suppose.. (some probably use them only as “decoration” for the benefical influence and spiritual significance, but might not use them for chanting.

Guest guest

In that case only initiated disciples could chant while I believe that everyone is encouraged to chant even before/without initiation.

Anyone can chant whether initiated or not, once you follow a sect and it's guru you adopt their practices.

Hmm that sounds a little sectarian to me. After all Prabhupada himself chanted on non ISKON malas (as all the Vaihnavas before ISKCON). So it might be something connected with internal Iskcon rules but I doubt it has any spiritual, traditional or scriptural explanation.

This is what I was told, that you can't mix mantras and malas. Only a single mantra can be used per mala and it usually is the mantra promoted by the guru or founder of the sect. I don't know the reasons why. I think Sandalwood malas are used for chanting mantras to the mother goddess and Ganesha.

Did he use malas at all? Not every sadhu/sannyasi/devotee uses it, more so those inclined to advaita Vedanta I suppose.. (some probably use them only as “decoration” for the benefical influence and spiritual significance, but might not use them for chanting.

I think they do use them. I've seen the monks from Adi Sankara's sect wear Rudrasksha but not Tulsi. Even those teaching Advaita Vedanta do use japa-mala as encouraged by the Ramakrishna mission and Chinmaya Mission. From what I've read the Rudraksha mala is the most 'universal' of malas and can be used if other malas are unavailable and all mantras can be chanted on it. Maybe this is the reason why Adi Shankara's sect use it.

Some useful URL's

rudralife.com/rosary.htm

thebeadsite.com/BBRS-01.html

healingsindia.com/related-rosaries.asp

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japa_Mala

Anyone can chant whether initiated or not, once you follow a sect and it's guru you adopt their practices.

I know ISKCON devotees that are not (yet) initiated but are chanting on a mala, in most of the books there are instructions about the process of chanting so obviously ISKCON advocates chanting on the mala for non-initiated devotees.

This is what I was told, that you can't mix mantras and malas. Only a single mantra can be used per mala and it usually is the mantra promoted by the guru or founder of the sect. I don't know the reasons why. I think Sandalwood malas are used for chanting mantras to the mother goddess and Ganesha.

I don’t know about that. Personally I use the same mala for different mantras (but I’m not initiated in any). Why no older devotees want to comment on this? They probably know the what is the opinion in ISKCON or Gaudia maths or other traditions.

I think they do use them. I've seen the monks from Adi Sankara's sect wear Rudrasksha but not Tulsi. Even those teaching Advaita Vedanta do use japa-mala as encouraged by the Ramakrishna mission and Chinmaya Mission. From what I've read the Rudraksha mala is the most 'universal' of malas and can be used if other malas are unavailable and all mantras can be chanted on it. Maybe this is the reason why Adi Shankara's sect use it.

I’m not talking about wearing them (I’ve seen sannyasins wearing them and those who do not) but about chanting. I suppose they can chant, especially when following a “composite” raja yoga type of sadhana though even than it is sometimes considered to be a lesser form of mantra yoga practice to use a mala for chanting. But I don’t see why would that be a necessity in the jnana yoga process. So my question is if there are some recorded facts or traditional believes about Adi Shankaracharia’s practicing this type of spiritual discipline.

As for wearing the malas as I said earlier a lot of sadhus (and non) wear rudraksha for it’s supposed health, material and spiritual benefits.

Radhe Krishna,

In smarta sampradaya wherein people do panchayatana puja (comprising of shiva, vishnu, durga, ganesha and surya), the sagunopaasana is pointedly to one devatha with ekagratha. As such, Rudraksha is worn by persons doing shiva upasana, Tulsi mala is worn by persons doing vaishnava upasana and spatika mani mala is used by shakthas.

The mala used for chant of one manthra is not used for chant of another.

Japa mala is never worn. It is kept with puja samagri with utmost respect.

Regarding sacredness and not revealing manthras to one and all following quotationsmay be noted from gaudiya and shrivaishnava

Gaudiya sampradayam :

Hari Bhakthi vilaasam 2.147 sanaathana goswami

gopayed devatam istam gopayed gurum atmanah

gopayec ca nijam mantram gopayen nija-malikam

Shri vaishnava sampradayam :

SEsha Samhitai (14.50) (Vide Guru Parampara saaram

in Swami Desika's Srimad Rahasya Traya Saaram")

Gurum prakasayeth dheemaan mantra yathnena gopaeth

aprakaasa prakaasabhyaam ksheeyate sampad aayushi

Both Gaudiya sampradayam and shrivaishnava sampradayam requires that the manthra initiated by guru to sishya is not be revealed to one and all but passed on only by way of initiation. Same is the position in smarta sampradayam.

Then manthra is defined as "Mananaath thraayathe ithi manthraha". Meaning manthra is that which is repetitively repeated in mind. As such a manthra is not sung in sankeerthanam.

But refer your sampradaya acharyan for the position in vogue in your sampradayam and following the same would be befitting as follower of any sampradayam.

Radhe krishna

Both Gaudiya sampradayam and shrivaishnava sampradayam requires that the manthra initiated by guru to sishya is not be revealed to one and all but passed on only by way of initiation. Same is the position in smarta

But are all Gaudiyas not initiated with the same (Maha) mantra? :confused:

Guest guest

If you are Gaudiya Vaishnava then you will naturally use Tulsi mala but this does not mean that chanting on Rudraksha is considered ofense. There is simply no need to use Rudraksha since Tulsi malas are available to all ISKCON members.

Tulsi mala is traditional Vaishnava mala for a reason but if no other mala is available you can chant on Rudrakshsa mala with appropriate attitude, knowing that Shiva Mahadeva is greatest bhakta of Lord Vishnu.

If you are not Gaudiya then you don't have to worry about breaking some internal regulation.

Every sadhaka of every tradition can chant mahamantra with or without mala ( or initiation) and reap benefits in accordance with his devotional attitude . Even mayavadis or prakrita sahajiyas chant mahamantra but you should be aware of the fact that although mahamantra is one and the same it doesn't mean that chanting results in same realisation.

After initiation you will naturally accept your chosen sect's parafernalia and understand why particular malas are being used in their rituals but before that you have to accept attitude behind all the practices.

Gaudiya chanting is based on a devotional attitude demonstrated by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and this particular quality of devotional attiude should be adopted by all Gaudiyas.

There are some who chant mahamantra with yogic frame of mind or even for some health benefits, there are others who chant from advaita platform or chant in different order worshipping Sri Rama. I'm sure they will all get desired results but in Gaudiya your goal is surrendering to Sri Krishna and His representatives. Sri Caitanya established this pure religion for those bhaktas who feel atracted to the name and form of Sri Krishna. He was very particular about right bhava and frame of mind that should be adopted by Gaudiya Vaishnavas.

Therefore if sadhaka feels atraction to mahamantra but his attitude differs from that of the founder of this pure religion then the last thing he should worry about is which mala to use. If you belong to some other sampradaya then why not seeking advice from their leaders but in all honesty I can't see why people bother with such a trivial questions before resolving those far more important.

Even if Srila Prabhupada did use Rudraksha mala on occasion this does not mean that all Gaudiyas should now immitate him beacuse pure bhakta chants mahamantra from different platform.

He would not have chanted either with Tulsi or Rudraksha to gain some material benefits ,to merge with Brahman or even to attain moksha. When pure Gaudiya bhakta chants it is with one intention only. To become better instrument ih the hand of his beloved Krishna so that he can serve Him and His bhaktas according to His will.

With such an attitude you can chant on a rubber japamala if you want.

RAdhe Krishna,

Gopaneeyatha was not intended for

"Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare"

The shlokam I quoted was from Hari Bhakthi Vilasam composed by Pujya Sanathana Goswamiji

Radhe Krishna