IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shuvo

Mantra before taking food

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear prabhu,

PAMHO

Here's the mantra you requested. Be well, and God bless.

yus, Bhakta Raj Prabhu das

The mantra . . .

sarira abidya- jal, jodendriya tahe kal,

jive phele visaya- sagore

ta’ra madhye jihwa ati, lobhamoy sudurmati,

ta’ke jeta kathina samsare

krishna baro doyamoy, koribare jihwa jay,

sva-prasad-anna dila bhai

sei annamrta pao, radha- krishna- guna gao,

preme dako caitanya- nitai

Jaya Nimai, jaya Nitai!

Bhagavad Prasadam ki jaya!

Srila Prabhupada ki jaya!

Dear prabhu,

PAMHO

Here's the mantra you requested. Be well, and God bless.

yus, Bhakta Raj Prabhu das

The mantra . . .

sarira abidya- jal, jodendriya tahe kal,

jive phele visaya- sagore

ta’ra madhye jihwa ati, lobhamoy sudurmati,

ta’ke jeta kathina samsare

krishna baro doyamoy, koribare jihwa jay,

sva-prasad-anna dila bhai

sei annamrta pao, radha- krishna- guna gao,

preme dako caitanya- nitai

Jaya Nimai, jaya Nitai!

Bhagavad Prasadam ki jaya!

Srila Prabhupada ki jaya!

Hare Krishna,

Yes, the above is the prayer that you would say if you are following the instructions of Srila Prabhupada.

On these forums you should state whose teachings you follow or you will get what has happened here, a huge variety of prayers from all sorts of traditions. This will cause confusion to newcomers. This is one of the problems with combining these forums. They used to be separate on their own pages but now we have this huge mish-mash of teachings. I can only imagine the confusion this is causing for newbies.

Guest guest

hello guys! this forum is good, but i am a newbie in this thema.

Please, tell me where i can read more about this problema.

^^ many thanks, korra#@%@*^#@! ^^

The true answer to this depends on what sect (sampraday) you wish to follow. One person said "annapurne sadapurne". I have seen some Smarta brahmins doing that. The Bengali verses cited above are what Sri Gaudiyas do. Sri Ramanandis do yet something else. Svaminarayan Bhaktas probably do something else.

Hare Krishna,

There are too many sampradays(traditions) and different mantras for each. Why don't we say just the name of Krishna and thank him for giving us the food and then take the food.......

:pray:

Before having food, the following mantras need to be chanted..

1) OM BHUR BHUVAH SUVAH

TAT SAVITURVARENYAM

BHARGO DEVASYA DHIMAHI

DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAAT

This is called Gaayatri mantra - gaayantam trayate iti gayatri - ie, that which protects it's chanter is gayatri.

2) take some water in hand, and spill it over the place, enrircling the food in the anticlockwise direction.

while doing so, chant the Gaayatri.

3) then take small bits of food each and put it in your mouth.

Each time, chant the below mantras.

OM Pranaaya Swaaha

OM Apanaaya Swaaha

OM Vyanaaya Swaaha

OM Udanaaya Swaaha

OM Samanaaya Swaaha

Finally, OM Brahmane Swaaha

and then Brahmana AAthma Amritathvaaya.

4) Start taking full morsels of food. While eating food, it is desirable that you keep in mind God and His Vibhutis. (what I do is, ponder over the meaning of the holy names in Vishnu Sahasranaam)

5) At the end, sip a bit of water, enough to wet your throat, and chant the below mantra.

Amrithaapidhaanamasi. (let this food confer immortality to me)

If you require further clarifications, let me know.

Sahasraarchi

For all twice-born (brahmins), this mantra is the correct one with slight variations..!

Other castes can chant the name of Rama, Krishna or Shiva as the following may be!

Beautiful! May I ask where this tradition is found? Thank you.

Before having food, the following mantras need to be chanted..

1) OM BHUR BHUVAH SUVAH

TAT SAVITURVARENYAM

BHARGO DEVASYA DHIMAHI

DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAAT

This is called Gaayatri mantra - gaayantam trayate iti gayatri - ie, that which protects it's chanter is gayatri.

2) take some water in hand, and spill it over the place, enrircling the food in the anticlockwise direction.

while doing so, chant the Gaayatri.

3) then take small bits of food each and put it in your mouth.

Each time, chant the below mantras.

OM Pranaaya Swaaha

OM Apanaaya Swaaha

OM Vyanaaya Swaaha

OM Udanaaya Swaaha

OM Samanaaya Swaaha

Finally, OM Brahmane Swaaha

and then Brahmana AAthma Amritathvaaya.

4) Start taking full morsels of food. While eating food, it is desirable that you keep in mind God and His Vibhutis. (what I do is, ponder over the meaning of the holy names in Vishnu Sahasranaam)

5) At the end, sip a bit of water, enough to wet your throat, and chant the below mantra.

Amrithaapidhaanamasi. (let this food confer immortality to me)

If you require further clarifications, let me know.

Sahasraarchi

depends on what you eat. Prasadam requires no mantra, for the very act of tasting Krsna Prasadam is ultimate yajna. Haridas Thakur chanted no specific mantra, for he was outside VAD and hinduism, he was muslim by birth. But Lord Chaitanya delivers prasadam daily to haridas thakur, who takes gleefully without prerequisite formal ingestion mantra.

If you are eating potato chips and a pepsi, forget the mantra, just get the snack over with, and get on with real life.

"Sarira" is a classic prayer that glorifies prasadam, but not a mantra to prevent ill effects of doing materialistic activity (like eating). Nothing matches this prayer taught to his students by Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

Is it really necessary to chant so many mantras, or we can just take the name of God. It's really too many,.....:(

can I just take the name of Lord Krishna and thanks him in our language for providing us the food.:confused:

Hare Krishna,.........:pray:

I personally would say yes. You can do elaborate prayers, mantras, and rituals and what have you... But if you find that it hinders you, or is too elaborate, or you don't even know the real meaning then it's fruitless. Especially if the mantra has not been empowered. There's no sense in chanting a mantra unless you have empowered it with several thousands of recitations, and has been given to you by a guru. Some will disagree with this, and that's fine.

I always think you should follow your heart. If you want to pray "Hare Krishna" or what have you that you find empowering in your tradition, and offer the food to him and thank him in your own special way, then by all means do it. Whatever you do that is heartfelt and sincere will be received by God.

After all elaborate rituals which you hardly know the meaning, that you do not feel in your heart will cause confusion and bewilderment. It can even cause fear, if it is not heartfelt.

Elaborate rituals are great for certain occasions, but a simple thanks and an offering will do just fine. And you can apply this to anything in life. A flower or piece of fruit offered to god with the upmost sincerity can be more rewarding than some elaborate ritual that has no meaning for you. God is ultimately residing in your heart, and if you do not do something that resonates well with your heart, then what point is there?

can anyone say me the mantra which we should chant before taking food?

[Chant and be happy]:pray:

I'll adapt a Catholic prayer that I used to say growing up... just for you! ;):

Thank you for blessing us, O Radhe-Krishna, with these, your gifts, which we are about to recieve, through the grace of Lord Krishna and Srimati Radharani. In the name of Krishna, and of Balarama, and of Srimati Radharani. Aum Shanti Aum.

I personally just say the Maha Mantra and a prayer to Parvati Mata (She is Annapoorna Maa, you know!). ;)

So, I say:

Hare Krsna/Hare Krsna/Krsna Krsna/Hare Hare/Hare Ram/Hare Ram/Rama Rama/Hare Hare.

Aum. Mother Parvati, Bride of Lord Shiva, Gauri! Mother of Ganesh, you make all things possible. You are the Refuge of All. You have the third-eye of Knowledge. Oh Mother of the Universe, I bow down to you!

Aum Shanti Shanti Shanti Aum.

OR, you can just come up with your own prayer before food :) Break from tradition... be a rebel! :D

If you are following the Gaudiya Vashnava line.

Firstly, Radha Krishna and the acharyas must have their own plates.

Then say the mantra below, short and sweet.

First offer food and drinks to Krishna

For food say 'etat sa tulasI naivedyam sri krsnAya nivedayAmi namah

For drinks say 'etat sa tulasI pAnIyam gangodakam sri krsnAya nivedayAmi namah'

2nd part of the offering is to Radha and sakhis

say 'Sri RAdhikAdi sakhI-ganebhyo namah'

3rd part of the offering is to Sri Gurudeva

say 'Sri GurudevAya namah'

After that I say the Hare Krishna Mantra 2 times and then leave them to enjoy their meals

Here is a cheap-skate way of offering food to Krishna:

With great affection [that you will have cultured by serving advanced Vaisnava yogis]:

While looking at a picture of Krishna, set down a plate of un-tasted prepared & cooked food [or circumambulate the plate in your hands around the picture] and, Ring a triangle chime-bell [like in the cowboy movies] and yell**:

Hey Krishna Hey Balarama! Lunch [breakfast; snacks; dinner; softdrinks; all that you offer and give away; etc] is ready! Come and get it while its hot!

Then later peek in to take the remnents.

..............................................................................................

**Here is what a HARE KRISHNA devotee chants [prays]:

om ajñana timirandhasya jñanañjana salakaya

chaksur unmilitam yena tamai sri gurave namah

namo maha vandayaya krsna prema pradayate

krsnaya krsna cheitanya namne goura tvise namah

namo brahmanya devaya go brahmana hitaya cha

jagad hitaya krsnaya govindaya namo namah

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

.................................................................................................

Then later peek in to take the remnents.

What's Radharani going to eat? :P

OMG! You're right!

Just see how I am such a big non-sense.

Hopefully her mom has given her something to take with her. Maybe the milkmaids will make up for my impartiallity.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I'm a nervous wreck--always worrying about others even before I can get some maha.

OMG! OMG! OMG! ...

OMG! You're right!

Just see how I am such a big non-sense.

Hopefully her mom has given her something to take with her. Maybe the milkmaids will make up for my impartiallity.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I'm a nervous wreck--always worrying about others even before I can get some maha.

OMG! OMG! OMG! ...

What're we going to do if Her mom didn't pack Her lunch?! :confused: I'm sure She'll be devastated when She comes to the picnic and there's no grilled cheese left over! :crying2:

One cup or serving can multiply itself unlimitedly:

thumbnail.aspx?q=1556106977700&id=eeb7ddb98fbf645d647ec56c689fedf7

Any don't get me in trouble with Sri Radha --I'm always saying the wrong things.

I'm sure Krishna will split His grilled cheese with Her :)

And, no need to worry... you won't get in trouble with Srimati Radharani... She's very merciful to us fallen ones ;)