IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Traditional Gaudiyas and Preaching.....

Rate this topic

Some may be suffering from the bodhisattva syndrome. Others have more on their lips than in their hearts.

We do have the precedent of Haridas Thakur, for example, who was most certainly filled with the ambrosial tastes of the Name, but regardless reached out to the world and also participated in assemblies where nama-tattva was discussed, voicing his objections over the views of those who failed to understand the Name's glory and might.

Again you bring up Haridas Thakur raga. I really like his life example. When out he exphasized the Name. And he was proactive in doing so. At different periods he was withdrawn and asorbed in the Holy Names through constant chanting. Was he a babji or a preacher? He was the best of both and neither one exclusively. He was Haridas Thakur.

Again you bring up Haridas Thakur raga. I really like his life example. When out he exphasized the Name. And he was proactive in doing so. At different periods he was withdrawn and asorbed in the Holy Names through constant chanting. Was he a babji or a preacher? He was the best of both and neither one exclusively. He was Haridas Thakur.

Haridas is one of my great heros. He indeed embodied the best of both worlds. :pray: Just see, even in the forests of Benapole, in solitude, he converted a wicked prostitute into a great paramahamsa!

I need to collect a proper record of his life-story into one place with due references. The story of the Muslims' mistreating him is one of my favorites, it both embodies his great nistha in the name and the love Gauranga had for him. Allow me to quote a touching passage from Caitanya-bhagavata. The full episode is narrated in Chaitanya Bhagavat 1.16, and Mahaprabhu narrates it as follows (2.10.35-50):

----

Then, Sri Chaitanya bestowed his mercy to Haridas. “Look at me, Haridas!” he called out. “Your body is better than mine, your birth is more exalted than mine. My heart was broken in thinking how the sinful Muslims tortured you. Listen, listen, O Haridas! When the Muslims beat you village after village, and I saw your suffering, I took my chakra and descended from Vaikuntha to sever their necks. Despite their beating you to the verge of death, in your heart you thought of their welfare.

“You didn’t think that they were trying to kill you. In your heart, you only saw them as good people. Due to your seeing them as good, I was powerless to act against them; my chakra became bereft of power. Due to your desire, I couldn’t kill them. Seeing them ferociously beating you, I fell on your back. The blows meant for you I took on my own body. The marks are still there, I do not lie! Whatever other reasons made me come to this world, I swiftly came as I couldn’t tolerate your suffering. Advaita always sings of my glory. My Nara knew the truth about you.”

The Lord knows how to glorify his devotees. What will he not say, and what will he not do for their sake? For his devotees’ sake, the Lord will swallow a blazing fire. The Lord yearns to become the servant of his devotees. Sri Krishna doesn’t know anything but his devotees. He doesn’t consider even the infinite universes as equal to one of his devotees. Anyone who isn’t pleased with Krishna’s devotees is a wretched sinner – his past must be full of sins.

Guest guest

sadhana implies sadhya. the process for getting free of anarthas is to hear about Krishna's activities

I need to collect a proper record of his life-story into one place with due references. The story of the Muslims' mistreating him is one of my favorites, it both embodies his great nistha in the name and the love Gauranga had for him. Allow me to quote a touching passage from Caitanya-bhagavata. The full episode is narrated in Chaitanya Bhagavat 1.16, and Mahaprabhu narrates it as follows (2.10.35-50):

Yes please do make such a collection, then put it in book form and let me be the first to purchase.

That is a powerful episode from the Chaitaya Bhagavat. For some unfortunate reason I have never read it even though I have a copy. I can't help but notice the similarities with the crucifixation of Christ and that story of Haridas Thakur. Even to the point of 'resurrection'.